Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-08-2008, 03:35 AM   #1
Norton
Tuned by HPF

Default Fairmont V8 - Next Power Steps

Hi All,

Just finished installing a new cam and roller rockers (along with springs, retainers lifters etc.) Nice power and sound increase.....but what's next?????

I have been doing some research and I would like to take the big step and replace the heads, I think a nice set of AFR165's or Twisted Wedge heads would suit the application, but I am unsure about replacing the intake.

I have a GRA gas kit on the car, with the restriction of the gas TB would it even be worth replacing the intake?. Would a Trickflow intake give me much of a gain over the stock explorer intake anyway? I have read many times that the Explorer is a decent intake for street applications. I can't change the TB so I'm thinking it will be a waste of time and money to continue to add performance parts that will improve flow if it still has a TB that has a limited flow. (SVI kit next time!)

What do you think? Get the heads and intake or just the heads and keep the explorer?

www.aufalcon.com/norton :
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2008, 11:58 AM   #2
Fireblade
Wizard Member

From what I've seen in the past, intake manifold by itself doesn't provide much gains but combined with an overall package would obviously help for end result. for just a cammer with heads explorer intake would probably suffice but if you stroke it and do it all it would be worthwhile and definitely use bigger TB and MAF.
Old 17-08-2008, 12:04 PM   #3
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Hey mate, mind if I ask where you got the GRA kit installed, and what you thought of the installers?
Thanks,
Justin.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2008, 12:07 PM   #4
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

The thing is with gas (my basic understanding) that it takes up a lot of space, and therefore requires a larger cross-sectional area of intake path to get the power back up to petrol level. Perhaps an intake like the TFS R Box upper would be on the cards, (provided the flow was there with the converter).

With heads, AFR 165's are an excellent choice, but I would get them custom ordered with an angle milled smaller chamber for more lpg-loving compression? 50cc chambers should see you around 10.2:1.

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2008, 06:43 PM   #5
Norton
Tuned by HPF

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
Hey mate, mind if I ask where you got the GRA kit installed, and what you thought of the installers?
Thanks,
Justin.
Got the GRA kit at Swift Automotive in Dandenong. Apparently they don't do GRA installs anymore. Happy with it but if I was to do it again I would go SVI. GRA makes good power but is hard to tune well. Not many people have the knowledge or tune rods to tune it.

Old 17-08-2008, 06:44 PM   #6
Norton
Tuned by HPF

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8WITE
From what I've seen in the past, intake manifold by itself doesn't provide much gains but combined with an overall package would obviously help for end result. for just a cammer with heads explorer intake would probably suffice but if you stroke it and do it all it would be worthwhile and definitely use bigger TB and MAF.
No intentions of stroking it. I do agree with your comments, I think with the mods I am planning the explorer will be sufficient.

Old 17-08-2008, 06:53 PM   #7
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought your car was blown? What happened there?
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post