Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-07-2006, 05:57 PM   #1
tim2x

Default BA's from the auctions.

Hey guy's

I've heard alot of talk lately about ba's from the auctions and im just wondering whats your experience with ex fleet cars n what not from the auctions?

It seems like Ba's with about 50,000 k's go for about 13,000.... anyone know what they seen the fairmonts go for? even the xr6's?

Im looking to upgrade in a year or more with a nice BA, seems auctions are the way to go these days

Cheers fella's

tim2x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2006, 06:06 PM   #2
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I believe that you can get a bigger bargain buying private from a desperate seller that must sell before a certain date...

auction are good but you have to know when to stop.
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2006, 06:56 PM   #3
F6Tornado

government auctions are usually pretty good. The BAs (of the higher quality - ie fairmonts etc) are usually senior management vehicles, and they are replaced every 2 years, serviced regularly, in Qld use BP petrol and depending on the department, not had any "long distance" driving. They usually have most of the "extras".

My wife's old boss used to get his car replaced every year as he drove from the gold coast to brisbane every day for work, and on weekends driven to rowing events (he had a heavy-duty towbar installed).
Old 04-07-2006, 07:38 PM   #4
EL_futuraistic

Be very careful when looking for Falcons at the auctions. Definately ensure its Ex-Govt otherwise you may end up with an Ex-Rental **shudder** because they dont always list owner as the rental company, sometimes parent companies or affiliated companies are used.

I work for a rental company, our MK2's went to the auctions twice and came back.... i think they were asking $15k with about 50,000kms on the clock.

They ahve now gone to dealers, and i pressume are the $18,888 ones that no-ford dealer seems to be able to move.
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2006, 10:34 PM   #5
Mutley

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6Tornado
government auctions are usually pretty good. The BAs (of the higher quality - ie fairmonts etc) are usually senior management vehicles, and they are replaced every 2 years, serviced regularly, in Qld use BP petrol and depending on the department, not had any "long distance" driving. They usually have most of the "extras".

My wife's old boss used to get his car replaced every year as he drove from the gold coast to brisbane every day for work, and on weekends driven to rowing events (he had a heavy-duty towbar installed).
I would have thought long distance driving was a distinct advantage?
Mutley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2006, 05:59 PM   #6
KNGCON
Starter Motor

Hi to answer your question i just baught a BA XR6 from auctions, it was ex goverment car with 40 thousand km's o picked it up for 20,400 if this was sold in a car yard would most likely go for 30 g's! Go the auction have a look can find good bargains!
KNGCON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2006, 06:02 PM   #7
lukey
www.lukehimself.net

Hey my brother bought an ex-goverment BA XT from the auctions (but got it pre-auction, at an agreed fixed price), was a very reasonable price and no problems whatsoever.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:10 PM   #8
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I got mine 18 months ago from Pickles. It was an ex Sydney Water car. Oct 03 model.
Had about 54,000ks on it, and I think I paid 26k.
I know there was an auto a month newer than mine that went for 28k in the same auction.
Only thing with the auctions is that you can't test drive, or have a mechanic look it over, though most come with an inspection report of some kind.
I don't even remember what was on the inspection report for mine, but it was minor.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2006, 08:51 PM   #9
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

I bought a BA from the Auction in Townsville, NTH QLD....

It was an ex Dept of Families car from the burdekin, , 100km south, , so it was driven on the highway only.

It had 30 000k on it, , and is in perfect condition.

I paid $15500, , in nov last year.

Excellent purhchase, , its still under warranty.

AC/DC
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2006, 11:11 PM   #10
fordy-two
Starter Motor

My last 3 cars were from the auctions, 2 ex lease, one ex govt. All good, the last one is even still under manufacturers warranty. Recent post ( http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...519#post757519 ) has BA's at 10-11,000, but I never saw them that cheap when I was looking. Wouldn't buy an ex cop car, but apart from that they all seemed pretty good. Go sometime prior to the auction and do the usual checks. Pickles let you start them, Fowles do a report and start them on the day. Pickles cheaper, Fowles nicer condition. They tell you if it's an ex rental, you can see this in the service books anyway. The auctioneer at Pickles even mentioned if there had been body repairs.
Just remember, there will always be another one exactly the same the next week and don't bid over your limit.
fordy-two is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2006, 06:55 PM   #11
XW Boy
Being built not bought.

hrrrm, kind of wish i had of thought about this before pooring money into an old falcon, i love the old classics, but for the price of these cars and they are basicly new, say you pay 11k for a ba, drop it, put some xr8 mags on it, maybe some other small things, what 13k or so, thats a really cheap car for what it is, and is reliable as. I will definatly be looking at the auctions when im up for another car, eventually.

also dont forget to post up what u end up doing mate, would be nice to know ;)
Old 07-07-2006, 07:02 PM   #12
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Doesnt it void the warranty when a car has been sold at the auctions??? We brought a subaru liberty from there and have been told and read in the warranty booklet that a car sold at auction voids the warranty.
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2006, 08:08 PM   #13
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Dept of Defence cars in Sydney are usually pretty good. They aren't really driven hard and don't have high kms as far as i know. All serviced at regular intervals and all use Shell fuel.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2006, 10:47 PM   #14
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

We bought our last car (02 AU) at the auctions nearly a year ago for what was a very good price at the time and apart from some minor RWC items when we first got it, we haven't put a single cent into it yet, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2006, 01:11 AM   #15
EL_futuraistic

as far as voiding warranty, as long as the service book has been kept upto date i cant see why the warranty would be void.

I think melbournes cheapest has a lot of XR6's for around $26k, so would be cheaper at the auctions..... although i think they are ex-hertz and ex-telstra

you will also find a lot more xr6's at the auctions, due to the shytee resale of the XT companies are giving NA Xr6's instead.
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post