Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-01-2010, 05:07 PM   #1
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default Ford in 2010

According to GoAuto here's what ford has in store for us in 2010? Anyone know about anything else we might see?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Auto
WITH Ford’s new Kuga compact SUV conspicuous by its absence in Australia, the Blue Oval will mark 2010 with an all-new 5.0-litre V8 for Ford Performance Vehicles and, unless it is discontinued, the XR8, plus an upgraded Euro 4 emissions-compliant inline six for its locally-built Falcon and Territory models mid-year.

A new direct liquid injection LPG system should also grace the Falcon in 2010, although the Territory’s first diesel engine has been delayed until 2011 – when the first (turbo) four-cylinder Falcon is due - perhaps in the second generation of Ford Australia’s medium SUV.

While Ford Oz continues to mull over the second-generation Ka micro, its light-sized Fiesta hatch – and all-new sedan - will be sourced from Thailand from the third quarter of 2010, spelling keener pricing and specifications.

Finally, look out for the latest generation of Ford’s global small car, the Focus, which will make its global debut at Detroit within two weeks and could land here by year’s end, eventually bringing with it up to 10 different model derivatives.
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25769D0006BBCD

Old 01-01-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Diesel HAS to come in next year for the terry and should be available in the falcon aswell. If not then its just not good enough, especially for a car that has had little done to it since launch.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Im with Polyal on this one, we need the Diesel next week otherwise it will be to late for the Terry i think!
Old 02-01-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

I think diesel for Terry and I4T should be in 2010 not 2011. These two are the most significant changes for Ford. I am keen to see how the I4T will go.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

on the other hand to rush the new power units through without all the bugs ironed out would be unwise imo.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2010, 05:40 PM   #6
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
on the other hand to rush the new power units through without all the bugs ironed out would be unwise imo.
The EA comes to mind :togo:

The most exciting developments IMO are the LPG system and of course the Coyote
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2010, 05:43 PM   #7
g220ba
FGX XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
Couldn't agree more mate. it could probably be done this year, however to rush such a project when there's so much to consider. Crash testing and reliability would be 2 of the major ones to consider. If anything were to go wrong with either of these powertrains due to lack of engineering that would be more disastrous to the brand than people having to wait a further 6-12 months it.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #8
Antwon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep i want to see the diesel in the Terri and the Falcon ute.

I would love for them to bring out a direct injection, twin turbo I6 too!
Old 02-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #9
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
I understand and agree with you. What I was trying to say was that they should have been planning for diesel and I4T in 2010 not 2011. They are very important updates for the company, long over due.

I do not want them to rush them to production, i'd rather they spend time minimising the problems.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:14 PM   #10
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

New Ranger is due at the end of the year I think.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2010, 07:06 PM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Guys they have had a diesel in a terry since 2005 atleast, but I dont know exactly what the hold up has been. Maybe they are waiting for a certain version, not sure.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2010, 07:15 PM   #12
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Guys they have had a diesel in a terry since 2005 atleast, but I dont know exactly what the hold up has been. Maybe they are waiting for a certain version, not sure.
Maybe performance and fuel economy issues? no point releasing it if it returns no fuel economy benefit over petrol and is slower to boot.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:28 PM   #13
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question?
Will Ford AUS ever bring out the new Focus RS that is currently in the UK to Australia? Possible to replay or revamp the XR5 or even an FPV 5 cyclinder?

Have Ford ever mentioned they will bring the car down under?
Bionic BF XR8 - 6 speed manual, reversing sensors, premium sound, GT starter button. 218rwkw - Got to love the BOSS!!
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2010, 07:38 PM   #14
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

I think we can expect a decision on the Falcon Wagon sooner rather than later, after all a decision has to be made, and in swing by the end of June.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:38 PM   #15
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

IMO it all seems a bit late for a diesel in the current bodied Terri. Its sales are waning due to certain issues in the previous model that has given it a poor reputation (thanks to Fords pathetic Customer Support), and that its been around for quite a while now. There needs to be something positive done to give it a new fresh start again. Or give it the flick, there are quite a few SUV's around now.

Personally I'd like a choice between a XR6(T) or G6E(T) wagon, or even a Boss version, much better option for me who really wants one please. But theres no mention, is the FG wagon a dead duck now? If so its a bit silly Mr Burela, I'll probably be looking elsewhere :
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #16
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_XC
Question?
Will Ford AUS ever bring out the new Focus RS that is currently in the UK to Australia? Possible to replay or revamp the XR5 or even an FPV 5 cyclinder?

Have Ford ever mentioned they will bring the car down under?
Unfortunately the answer is NO.
I would have shelled out the $$ to upgrade from the XR5T/ST to the RS.
Oh well.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:18 PM   #17
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Pretty sure Tom Gorman cancelled it when he was in charge, which put the program back a few years.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #18
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Happy about upcoming V8. Interesting that a new V8 has higher priority over Diesel, LPG and I4T.

I4T has to wait for global production to get into full swing, nothing much to be done there.

LiLPG is also pretty new - and relatively unique to Australia - so since Ford Oz is doing the development I can also understand that delay.

But why the delay on Diesel Terry? It's been talked about ever since the Polites days, and I've even heard it rumoured that they were originally looking to convert the Aussie I6 to diesel until Gorman cancelled it. And why no Diesel for the Falcon? Either they are being coy about Diesel in the Falcon, or someone is not reading the market very well. Of all the things to be critical about Ford, this Diesel debacle has got to be top of the list. If this so called I6 Diesel had come to market it would have predated the oil price boom, and the Territory might not have been labelled the gas guzzler that is now common in public perception.

Also, in the last few years, it's been the higher spec models getting more sales - so much so that XR6 sells more than the XT. Curious, isn't it, that Ford opted to drop it's LWB top-of-the-range models just as those kinds of models have become popular...

Lukeyson
Old 02-01-2010, 08:27 PM   #19
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
Happy about upcoming V8. Interesting that a new V8 has higher priority over Diesel, LPG and I4T.
How do you figure that? FPV are working on the V8, Ford are working on the other 3....

Old 02-01-2010, 08:45 PM   #20
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the territory is on it's last legs and it will be the Kuga here in 2011 with the diesel in it.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2010, 09:26 PM   #21
g220ba
FGX XR8

I can kinda see why there's so much negative press about ford when the so-called supporters are ready to sink the boot in before anyone else. Yes the territory diesel is well overdue but to say the model as a whole is dead is a bit far fetched to me. Correct me if i'm wrong but aren't they building to order at the moment, so essentially they're selling all they can build.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:45 PM   #22
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID XR8
I think the territory is on it's last legs and it will be the Kuga here in 2011 with the diesel in it.
Kuga = Rav4/CR-V/Tiguan. It is not, and will not be a replacement for Territory.

There is a major update for Territory, much like AU-BA. Diesel is well under way (was actually completed), and will be ready for the new Territory.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2010, 09:53 PM   #23
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84ltd
I can kinda see why there's so much negative press about ford when the so-called supporters are ready to sink the boot in before anyone else. Yes the territory diesel is well overdue but to say the model as a whole is dead is a bit far fetched to me. Correct me if i'm wrong but aren't they building to order at the moment, so essentially they're selling all they can build.
Indeed. Its one thing to be suspicious of manufacturers, and view things critically but sometimes it really goes a bit far on this forum. Sure diesel territory (and territory as a whole) has been underinvested and has been too slow to market. There are a lot of reasons this has occured, and it is mostly to do with internal decisions/timeframes by FoMoCo and not by Ford Aus, regardless of which aus president was at the helm.

Fact is, look at the current and near future lineup from the major marques in this country. Ford has a very strong lineup and with new focus, thai fiesta production (with sedan), econetic models, FG upgrades (new I4T, V8 etc.) and come 2011 new territory i think as a Ford fan we can hold our heads up to be frank. Longer term you have T6 ranger and quite possibley, a Falcon/tezza off the new GRWD platform with much great investment and increase chances of niche market exports.....

Things aren't perfect (dealer network, some models have technical foibles etc.) but it could be a lot lot worse. As i said, be critical by all means, there is no use everyone worshiping the brand. But i am growing very tired of this conitnual wingeing and moaning by members, often with a total lack of understanding of why things are as they are (kuga imports anyone???)

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2010, 10:05 PM   #24
g220ba
FGX XR8

My thoughts exactly Swordsman. Yes there needs to be CONSTRUCTIVE critisicm to keep things improving, Continual and sometimes unwarranted bashing just isn't needed. Ford as a whole are looking to be in pretty good shape at the moment with some exiting things happening worldwide.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:30 PM   #25
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

I think perhaps less criticism of the criticism might also be in order. Instead, I'd be interested in hearing the positive spin on the delayed release of a Diesel Terry as a better counter discussion. Happy to hear it actually.

I see the media trying to make a case for the Kuga at every opportunity. Either that or they like to point it out as a negative - that Ford won't import this supposedly fantastic car from overseas because 'their large car market share is declining' - or some other such trashy non related side reference the media like to make. But I'll side on the optimistic outlook in this instance. I took amusement at the positive spin Burela placed on the short term extension of the Escape rather than the negative of not bringing in the Kuga - 'it is too popular with customers.....'

Lukeyson
Old 02-01-2010, 10:33 PM   #26
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
I think perhaps less criticism of the criticism might also be in order. Instead, I'd be interested in hearing the positive spin on the delayed release of a Diesel Terry as a better counter discussion. Happy to hear it actually.

I see the media trying to make a case for the Kuga at every opportunity. Either that or they like to point it out as a negative - that Ford won't import this supposedly fantastic car from overseas because 'their large car market share is declining' - or some other such trashy non related side reference the media like to make. But I'll side on the optimistic outlook in this instance. I took amusement at the positive spin Burela placed on the short term extension of the Escape rather than the negative of not bringing in the Kuga - 'it is too popular with customers.....'

Lukeyson
And this is what makes Burela so much better than Gorman and Osbourne before him. He is always putting a positive spin on the products that he does have, rather than say that he is only making do because he can't get the products that he wants.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2010, 10:41 PM   #27
g220ba
FGX XR8

So basically what's being said here is we want to see the Head of a Major company come out and show no faith in his product because they're unable to secure another product for what ever reason.

From what's been said in the past the Kuga for the recent past has not really been viable due to cost and a manual only option. It has just been posted that the territory will recieve a major upgrade which more than likely was delayed due to lack of available funds. We may yet see the Kuga in the future when it becomes a cost effective option.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:18 PM   #28
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Would the Kuga be a viable option to replace Escape? Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the Escape been selling terribly lately?
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2010, 11:20 PM   #29
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Ford dont wanna give the 2010 Territorys the Diesel motor as every man and his dog will rush out and buy one, then the updated car will come in 12 months time and theyw ill all be jumping up and down.. Its a bit like HSV with the E series wagons replaced by E2 so soon!! apparently delaers have copped alot of from customers who bought E1s just before E2 was released...
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2010, 11:30 PM   #30
g220ba
FGX XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
Would the Kuga be a viable option to replace Escape? Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the Escape been selling terribly lately?
It may be but its been well documented that in europe it's a very expensive car compared to its competitors. I do remember reading that they're looking at a 2011 date for the kuga. It's a great car but in business terms is it financially viable without being overly expensive.