Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

View Poll Results: Should Boss owners change there Valve springs and be called unopened like the LS1's (
Should Boss owners change there Valve springs and be called unopened like the LS1's (level playing field) 20 34.48%
No, if you change valve springs you are 100% opened 38 65.52%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26-09-2005, 02:48 PM   #1
OLS108
LS1 owner

Default Quickest Bolt on XR8

hey guys just a quick question what is the Quickest Bolt on XR8 in aus ?
thanks guys
BTW this is not a ****ing contest just want to prove a Point to someone that the Boss is good for the 1/4 times as well, and as they say if you want the truth then go to the horses mouth.

Old 26-09-2005, 02:59 PM   #2
parawolf
beep beep

12.69 i think was recorded by Chris at Blue Power Racing Developments in his BA XR8 ute (auto). Intake, exhaust, edit, probably underdrives....

I think last friday he did a 12.74 and blew the auto just after 200metres.

It's going to have the engine opened and played with now... so in my opinion it will be the first 'properly opened' XR8.
Old 26-09-2005, 04:42 PM   #3
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
12.69 i think was recorded by Chris at Blue Power Racing Developments in his BA XR8 ute (auto). Intake, exhaust, edit, probably underdrives....

It's going to have the engine opened and played with now... so in my opinion it will be the first 'properly opened' XR8.

Your on the money Parawolf, But I think Chris is pretty determent to get a 11sec 1/4 before he opens it up.

Chris has a few more tricks up his sleave that he want to try out before he cracks it open.

EDIT: The Holden girls are going to hate Chris when he gets his 11 sec pass in an unopen Boss 260

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2005, 04:51 PM   #4
OLS108
LS1 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba
Your on the money Parawolf, But I think Chris is pretty determent to get a 11sec 1/4 before he opens it up.

Chris has a few more tricks up his sleave that he want to try out before he cracks it open.

EDIT: The Holden girls are going to hate Chris when he gets his 11 sec pass in an unopen Boss 260
Mate being one of the Holden "girls" i for one would love to see it, wouldnt bother me LS1 ahve run 11.5 unopened. And to me the Boss is a Great Motor and the BA is a great car But LS1's are better :
Old 26-09-2005, 05:02 PM   #5
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba

I find that funny because I remember him saying it would be cracked open at sub 13 seconds... now its sub 12 seconds?!

Though with a high stall it could go better I guess...shesh I guess he really wants to break those CV joints!
Old 26-09-2005, 06:23 PM   #6
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I find that funny because I remember him saying it would be cracked open at sub 13 seconds... now its sub 12 seconds?!

Though with a high stall it could go better I guess...shesh I guess he really wants to break those CV joints!
Mate the cv's went long ago. Chris realy wants to see how far we can take the 260 in an unopened form. Also Chriss has more then the hi stall to get it there also
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS108
BA is a great car But LS1's are better :
I don't think so. :

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2005, 07:21 PM   #7
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mate being one of the Holden "girls" i for one would love to see it, wouldnt bother me LS1 ahve run 11.5 unopened. And to me the Boss is a Great Motor and the BA is a great car But LS1's are better :
jabba was talking about a Boss 260 when one of the 290's have a go there's a very good chance that 11.5 will be getting a bashing by the way thats TOTALLY UNOPENED!! and a heavier car, LS1's are better hey.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2005, 05:59 PM   #8
OLS108
LS1 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowride260
LS1's are better
You said it :
Old 27-09-2005, 06:11 PM   #9
MYV8
Gota be happy with a Hump
Donating Member1

Quote:
You said it :
If you are going to quote someone else's post there is no need to selectively edit it, irrespective of their views.
W*n**r.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BluePower Racing Developments ............... Best in the Business
MYV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2005, 06:30 PM   #10
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have no idea. :
So what your trying to say is that you have no idea at all, I thought so. Maybe you should go back into your hole champ. :gren:
Old 27-09-2005, 06:32 PM   #11
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:

Couldn't have blown the Auto on that run (12.74), as Chris had 2 more 12 sec runs after that @ 106 & 107 mph.
Unless it was some else's Ute.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2005, 06:38 PM   #12
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
Couldn't have blown the Auto on that run (12.74), as Chris had 2 more 12 sec runs after that @ 106 & 107 mph.
Unless it was some else's Ute.
Maybe Chris could clear this up but he said to me he crossed the line at 12.74@100mph gear box claped out when he hit 3rd.
Old 27-09-2005, 07:22 PM   #13
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowride260
Maybe Chris could clear this up but he said to me he crossed the line at 12.74@100mph gear box claped out when he hit 3rd.
Regardless of that...its defiantly the quickest XR8 by far.

Old 27-09-2005, 09:25 PM   #14
X ORSMXR
missing the panther

Quote:
Mate it's a ute they dont have cv joints.

And to answer the other question the motor is staying unopened for a little while yet haven't seen the full potential of the motor yet....
Old 27-09-2005, 09:41 PM   #15
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

That's right we are yet to see the Boss's FULL potential, the LS1 guy's had a few yr's up their sleves, so we are not to far behind in comparrison.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2005, 10:04 PM   #16
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Not hard when the surrounding body is made of dogfood cans. :

There are definatly some good times ahead. The 260/290 boys are starting to peg back some of the 5yr head start the LS1 boys had, however a way to go yet. Makes for VERY intresting watching. Keep it up guys, on both sides of the fence.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2005, 10:13 PM   #17
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw

There are definatly some good times ahead. The 260/290 boys are starting to peg back some of the 5yr head start the LS1 boys had, however a way to go yet. Makes for VERY intresting watching. Keep it up guys, on both sides of the fence.
Yep i am all for the Boss, we need more running low numbers , the LS1 invasion will get worse as these cars become cheaper....seen one on Friday night dierct port NOS ET:11.0.

Old 27-09-2005, 10:17 PM   #18
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
LS1 ahve run 11.5 unopened.
Is that actually unopened or has it had the valve springs changed....

And didnt Rod run a 12.62 in his pursuit ages ago (pre edit etc)... got to be some more time in that!
Old 27-09-2005, 10:19 PM   #19
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I didn't know LS1s ran 11.5s unopened? Are these common or are these once off purpose built drag commodores e.g. stripped to the bone?

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2005, 10:29 PM   #20
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle
I didn't know LS1s ran 11.5s unopened? Are these common or are these once off purpose built drag commodores e.g. stripped to the bone?
Under there LS1 rules there ok.... there are many that have run an 11...I think the record is 11.7 around that...they can change everything.... but the motor can only have valve springs....
Diff gears, hi-stall etc: can all be changed...
They are a freak engine; there has been much development in the states with these engines, over in the states the unopened record is in the low 10's...
The LS1 has earned its respect; we have some way to go with the Boss, to get where the LS1 is.
The LS2 by all reports is even more potent.

Old 28-09-2005, 11:02 AM   #21
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
Under there LS1 rules there ok.... there are many that have run an 11...I think the record is 11.7 around that...they can change everything.... but the motor can only have valve springs....
Diff gears, hi-stall etc: can all be changed...
They are a freak engine; there has been much development in the states with these engines, over in the states the unopened record is in the low 10's...
The LS1 has earned its respect; we have some way to go with the Boss, to get where the LS1 is.
The LS2 by all reports is even more potent.
I still don't get this "unopened" deal.

If a car changes valve springs that means it has been opened. IMO.

Unopened means just bolt on enhancements eg: Throttle bodies, spacers, cold air, underdrives, zorst, etc.

If a rocker cover comes off it has been OPENED.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 11:05 AM   #22
parawolf
beep beep

LS1's have 'weak' valve springs I think it was... so to maintain reliability it was deemed at some stage 'okay' to replace the valve springs because it doesn't go "into" the guts of the engine itself...
Old 28-09-2005, 11:23 AM   #23
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id like to see unopened include rockercovers, Trans, Diff and interior, most quick LS1's are stripped out virtual racecars.

Old 28-09-2005, 11:40 AM   #24
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To me valve springs changed = opened...
Yes it may not improive performance on its own but it allows more revs reliably which can enable more performance.

To me its NO different to running a steel crank, H-beams and forged pistons, claiming that its for reliability only and running as unopened.
Old 28-09-2005, 12:05 PM   #25
X ORSMXR
missing the panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
To me valve springs changed = opened...
Yes it may not improive performance on its own but it allows more revs reliably which can enable more performance.

To me its NO different to running a steel crank, H-beams and forged pistons, claiming that its for reliability only and running as unopened.

This has become a big agrument with the Ls1 valve springs and have to agree that anything in a engine comes in contact with oil and is changed deems a opened engine.

Geez we could turn around and change cams in the boss motors and say it's unopened as we just took the rocker cover off just like the ls1 boys..
Old 28-09-2005, 01:45 PM   #26
SpoolMan

I agree with everyone about the valve springs its opened but under there LS1 rules they are not...
so what do we do....
Why dont we just do the same, if your wanting to do it, just change them valve springs.
if we are going to try compete at least we should have a level playing field to start.
Just added a Poll to the top of this page, its open for 30 days.
What do you think?
change or no change give us your thoughts?

Last edited by SpoolMan; 28-09-2005 at 01:54 PM.
Old 28-09-2005, 02:01 PM   #27
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IMO valve springs is opened ...
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 02:22 PM   #28
parawolf
beep beep

Okay I figure level playing field is fine - replaced springs is either opened in both cases, or unopened in both.

However do the BOSS engines require spring replacements? For example the LS1s _NEED_ replacement, but do the boss engines need it to run a 13.0? or to run 12.5? or faster? Or is it a reliability thing.

Personally I figure springs as it is definatively a reliability thing only as it does not affect power, but it allows for more power to be generated. I call it unopened.
Old 28-09-2005, 04:33 PM   #29
OLS108
LS1 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYV8
If you are going to quote someone else's post there is no need to selectively edit it, irrespective of their views.
W*n**r.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You a HEAD , i only came on here to ask a question and i was having a Joke with a few of the First Posters and you ahve to come on and act like , if you Read my first Post you would know that i like the Boss motor.
:jab:
Old 28-09-2005, 06:32 PM   #30
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

chill boys
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post