Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-07-2009, 10:56 PM   #1
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default What do you guys reckon?

Hey guys,

I have a budget of 9k and would like to get myself into an AU Series 2 or 3 XR6. What do you think I could get for that much?
I've found a 2002 AU3 XR6 VCT - meteorite, manual, 120,000kms... Options- Momo Steering Wheel and Gear Knob, Towbar, 6 Stacker, Rebel/Ford Racing Bodykit. It also has 18" BA XR8 rims.
From what I can see from the pics, it has the odd scratch or two, the seats look a little worn, the central locking is stuffed (quoted $400 to fix apparently), the left rear window button needs replacing,
as well as some sort of button amongst the cd player (which is apparently being replaced with a new aftermarket head unit). It was advertised about 3 months ago on carsales for $12k but the seller
didn't realise that you need to sign in at least once every 30 days (otherwise carsales assumes that it's been sold) and as a result, it's not on their anymore.
He hasn't put it back on yet, but I've spoken to him via email and am pretty sure that he would have decreased the price by now if it was still being advertised.
Do you guys think that it's remotely possible for me to get it for around the $9,000 mark?

Cheers guys,

Anthony

Old 11-07-2009, 11:10 PM   #2
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

If I was him (the seller) and I'd advertised it for $12K, my lower threshold would be $10K........considering the 'features' and 'extra' it comes with....even though a couple of things need to be fixed, I'd still say $10K, esp when it only has 120,000 thousand on the clock, it's still a baby!

Just my two cents....
Old 12-07-2009, 12:03 AM   #3
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
If I was him (the seller) and I'd advertised it for $12K, my lower threshold would be $10K........considering the 'features' and 'extra' it comes with....even though a couple of things need to be fixed, I'd still say $10K, esp when it only has 120,000 thousand on the clock, it's still a baby!

Just my two cents....
Thanks for the post! I thought people would say around the 10k mark. Only thing, (although it wouldn't really be that much of a difference) 120,000kms was when he put it on carsales.
It's been 3 months and I'm pretty sure that he uses the car on a daily basis so it would have to be a little bit over 120 by now. Pics will be up shortly...

Cheers, Anthony
Old 12-07-2009, 12:06 AM   #4
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 12-07-2009, 12:11 AM   #5
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

God that looks nice, nicer than your words make it sound, again I think 9K is pushing it. Id agree with the reserve of 10K, save up for a few weeks if you have to that looks bloody nice.
Jack91 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 12:16 AM   #6
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate, YOU of all people know i'm a BF falcon addict....

but that thing is SMOKIN hot mate, worth the waiting i'd think.....

I'd say offer him a down payment, but he'd probably take your money and sell the car lol!
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

After a patient 2 years...
Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
XRSIKS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 02:46 AM   #7
alter_EGOXR
BF MKII XR6

that thing looks great...if i were you..i will ask for 9..he will most probably wont let it go for that price...but you never know...for a 11k that is still worth it...i was about to buy a black AU XR6 with abt 130ks on the clock with no extras for around $12k
alter_EGOXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 05:05 AM   #8
The Monty
Just slidin'

Id offer 9k, then see what happens. That is pretty damn schmick.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:49 AM   #9
Mikal52
WINDSOR

Whats the harm in asking???? All he can say is no.... then just save an extra grand n buy it, coz that thing looks sexy!

Michael
Mikal52 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 05:55 PM   #10
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikal52
Whats the harm in asking???? All he can say is no.... then just save an extra grand n buy it, coz that thing looks sexy!

Michael
Agreed. No harm in asking for 9K. It's a manual though, so worth the 10K. Certainly hope you get it, she looks a beauty!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 06:04 PM   #11
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

as said by all start off with $9k and take it from there

She is a pristine example indeed! bear in mind you have over a grand to spend on it to bring it up to par - wouldnt the window be required to be fixed for roadworthy?
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 09:44 PM   #12
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks everyone for the comments! By the looks of things the general consensus is that it's worth going for!
For those of you who don't know, I'm actually 15 so my dad will be the one buying it (which means that I'll need to be reasonably good for a while...:P)
Will keep you guys posted! Also, are you sure that a broken window switch (up, down... lol) would need to be fixed for roadworthy.

Cheers, Anthony

Edit: I've spoken to an "expert" (guess who lol) and apparently I'm going to need to buy a T3 Speedo (optioned with 18") because it (this xr6) left the factory on 17" and is currently rolling on 18".
Old 12-07-2009, 10:18 PM   #13
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity_avisGT
Thanks everyone for the comments! By the looks of things the general consensus is that it's worth going for!
For those of you who don't know, I'm actually 15 so my dad will be the one buying it (which means that I'll need to be reasonably good for a while...:P)
Will keep you guys posted! Also, are you sure that a broken window switch (up, down... lol) would need to be fixed for roadworthy.

Cheers, Anthony

Edit: I've spoken to an "expert" (guess who lol) and apparently I'm going to need to buy a T3 Speedo (optioned with 18") because it (this xr6) left the factory on 17" and is currently rolling on 18".
Everything above sounds good, apart from the "edit" that part is a load of BS. From factory, the car would have had 235/45/17s on it. The 18s will be either 235/40/18s or 245/40/18s; either way the speedo will be within 0.5% of the reading you'd get on 17s. Also note, that series 1 T series cars came with 17s, and later models came with 18s with no change to speedo except colour layout etc (calibration remains the same).

I'd find a new "expert" if I was you, except if it's your dad, then you're stuck with him, but if he's willing to lend the extra $1k to get you in the car, and the is willing to pay for a T series speedo on top of that, he's an "expert" worth keeping.

For tyre size comparisons and speedo differences, i use this link:
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wow looks like a nice unit!
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 10:35 PM   #15
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
wrong, as long as the rolling diameter is the same then you're fine, as JC mentioned.

Very nice ride, especially for a first car, would have loved an series 2 , even better getting an XR6 VCT
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 10:50 PM   #16
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

just be honest with the guy ofter 9 if the answer is no then tell him you'll give 9 then you'll pay off the other grand.

My build that was http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11267696

ENVI BA XR6T
BUILD THREAD..http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11345961 TAKEN BY THE EX
NOW A EL FUTURA

EB MONTY NOW IN THE SHED
BACK IN THE E-SERIES

THREAD DIGGEr
au11futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 11:12 PM   #17
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the link JC! No the expert isn't my dad, it's someone on these forums, and what they told me is what they were told by Ford.

au11futura- thanks for the advice. I'm supposed to wait about another month before I ring (don't ask...lol) but I might ring him tomorrow instead. The car is over 2 hours away...
Old 13-07-2009, 02:54 AM   #18
The Monty
Just slidin'

With the window switch, just try taking it out, popping the top off and cleaning the contacts. Thats if it just doesnt work, and isnt physically broken.
Old 13-07-2009, 09:26 AM   #19
brad`
The Monty

hey i got a series 1 and im rolling on 19's and when i got throught a speed check on the high way at 100 on my speedo it registers at 98 on the computer scanner thing attached to the bridge u have to drive under.

Id also be asking why only the front drivers seat has a seat cover on it? is it riped or is it just to protect the drivers seat?

nice car tho, damn i want an xr

brad` is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 09:33 AM   #20
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Everything above sounds good, apart from the "edit" that part is a load of BS. From factory, the car would have had 235/45/17s on it. The 18s will be either 235/40/18s or 245/40/18s; either way the speedo will be within 0.5% of the reading you'd get on 17s. Also note, that series 1 T series cars came with 17s, and later models came with 18s with no change to speedo except colour layout etc (calibration remains the same).

I'd find a new "expert" if I was you, except if it's your dad, then you're stuck with him, but if he's willing to lend the extra $1k to get you in the car, and the is willing to pay for a T series speedo on top of that, he's an "expert" worth keeping.

For tyre size comparisons and speedo differences, i use this link:
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
That's assuming Ford got it right, mine was out by 10k on the 18's before I changed speedo drives.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 10:01 AM   #21
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
With the window switch, just try taking it out, popping the top off and cleaning the contacts. Thats if it just doesnt work, and isnt physically broken.
I'm not 100% sure if it's just not working is actually physically damaged- I'll find out. Thanks for the tip anyway. If it is actually broken, do you know how much it costs to replace?

Cheers, Anthony
Old 13-07-2009, 10:12 AM   #22
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad`
hey i got a series 1 and im rolling on 19's and when i got throught a speed check on the high way at 100 on my speedo it registers at 98 on the computer scanner thing attached to the bridge u have to drive under.

Id also be asking why only the front drivers seat has a seat cover on it? is it riped or is it just to protect the drivers seat?

nice car tho, damn i want an xr
Hey Brad,

The speedo scenario must different for everyone. I'll make sure I compare it with a GPS.:eclipsee_ As for the seat cover, I don't think that the front drivers seat has been literally ripped,
he believes that it's been caught on something once and it's just gotten worse over time (I'm pretty sure that it looks like the back seats - just a little worn out.)
Also, I just read one of the emails; turns out two of the button need to be replaced (cd player buttons).

Cheers, Anthony

Edit: He states that other than the front drivers seat, the rest of the interior is in very good condition. In other words- the drivers seat is worse than the back seats.

Last edited by Coogs289; 13-07-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Coogs289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 10:29 AM   #23
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
That's assuming Ford got it right, mine was out by 10k on the 18's before I changed speedo drives.
At what speed? At 100, that's within tolerences as set out by ADRs, and would be up to ford's normal build standards. Also depends on what diff ratio is fitted as to how accurate the speedo is - standard ratio for that speedo should see around 3 to 5% error in your favour (ie speedo reads higher than actual speed).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 11:10 AM   #24
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
At what speed? At 100, that's within tolerences as set out by ADRs, and would be up to ford's normal build standards. Also depends on what diff ratio is fitted as to how accurate the speedo is - standard ratio for that speedo should see around 3 to 5% error in your favour (ie speedo reads higher than actual speed).
Read 90ish at 100, that to me is unacceptable even if it is within ADR's.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #25
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
I'm not 100% sure if it's just not working is actually physically damaged- I'll find out. Thanks for the tip anyway. If it is actually broken, do you know how much it costs to replace?

Cheers, Anthony

About $15 for a second hand one at the wreckers.
Old 13-07-2009, 08:18 PM   #26
omagxr8
220kw series 2 xr8

hi mate,

i just bought a mint series 2 xr8 for around 13k. immaculate interior 100.000 klms full service history, momo wheel sunroof bodykit 220 motor. id honestly say 9k is a reasonable offer and he will take it in the current market.

Good luck with it.

Previous rides
Xe fairmont 250 crossflow
Series 3 Rx7 12a turbo
r34 gt-t 230rwkw
omagxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 09:11 PM   #27
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by omagxr8
hi mate,

i just bought a mint series 2 xr8 for around 13k. immaculate interior 100.000 klms full service history, momo wheel sunroof bodykit 220 motor. id honestly say 9k is a reasonable offer and he will take it in the current market.

Good luck with it.
Sounds like you got yourself a great car for a great price mate. Make sure you post up some pics in the show n shine section. Whereabouts in Australia are you, because I've found that depending on what state you're in, the price of cars can be incredibly different.

Cheers, Anthony
Old 13-07-2009, 11:54 PM   #28
alter_EGOXR
BF MKII XR6

remember to offer 9k cash...he would most likely give it to ya if he sees the cash :P...good luck mate! hope you get it!
alter_EGOXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #29
omagxr8
220kw series 2 xr8

Quote:
Sounds like you got yourself a great car for a great price mate. Make sure you post up some pics in the show n shine section. Whereabouts in Australia are you, because I've found that depending on what state you're in, the price of cars can be incredibly different.

Cheers, Anthony

Hi mate

Yes its a great buy im totally happy with it. (except for the Squeaky brakes)
I got it in Melbourne, Roxbugh Park Hyundai dealer of all places. Previous owner traded for an i30

I have some photos on a thread titled "proud new owner sII xr8" if you want to have a look.

Good luck with your bargaining again and i think 9k is a good offer, will be hard for him to turn it down. THE CAR MARKET IS UP CREEK. 2nd hand cars are so cheap its silly.

Previous rides
Xe fairmont 250 crossflow
Series 3 Rx7 12a turbo
r34 gt-t 230rwkw
omagxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #30
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Very nice mate, only one thing its not a V8 : but i understand there are reasons your not looking for one. When can you get your Learners?
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post