Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 06-06-2006, 01:51 PM   #1
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Getting more females into racing

Now after running two relatively successful 'chicks brackets' as a part of the AFF drag days, I must say i'm really happy that there are starting to be a lot more women who are prepared to get out there and give it a go. But, what can be done to keep women in the sport???

There is even a group for women in motorsport called the "Australian Women's Motorsport Network (AWMN). That encourages women into all forms of motorsport.

So here's my question, what are some suggestions to keep women coming into motorsport...???

I would like to see in future another 'chicks bracket' at drag meets dedicated to the women that haven't raced or have had very limited experience at the drag strip, to encourage them to get out and have a go.... In their street cars. This bracket is for women who aren't used to racing and want to have a go, not for the experienced drag racers that we have seen in the past....

Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2006, 02:13 PM   #2
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

The tide is turning ... Look at the top levels of the sport.. Erica Enders, Ashley Force, Angelle Sampy, Karen Stoffer, Melanie Troxell, Rachelle Splatt, Debbie Reed, Kathy Stevens are all the perfect spokespersons for the 'Women in Sport' movement.. I see alot of younger girls out at Willowbank for the test and tunes.. One thing i notice is they sit in their cars and dont mingle like the boys do.. It is good to see them have a shot, but until they get out and talk the talk (I dont mean that in a derogatory sense as alot of the guys have nfi either) they will slip under the radar and go unnoticed.

Enough blabber, my suggestion is to not segregate them as such but treat them like any other potential racer.. Hand out flyers to the ladies and not only the guys, the list I quickly came up with off the top of my head shows that racing is not gender specific. The biggest selling point to get ladies drag racing is to introduce them to the sport in a group, not a gender specific group but an experience level group.. Alot of newbies, male and female would go if they were up against people of a similiar situation

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2006, 03:48 PM   #3
Chris
AFF.com.au

If more chicks go, ill spend more time at the track lol
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2006, 03:59 PM   #4
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
One thing i notice is they sit in their cars and dont mingle like the boys do
A lot of the time you might find they sit in their cars because they are nervous and trying to remember what instructions they have given or maybe trying to figure it all out...

I know I am nervous when getting out and doing something around others that have done it before, no-one wants to stuff it up, but we all often do..

Perhaps if some of the guys went out of their way more to calm the nerves of not just the females but anyone that might seem new, that would help...
Just a thought :P

Quote:
The biggest selling point to get ladies drag racing is to introduce them to the sport in a group, not a gender specific group but an experience level group.. Alot of newbies, male and female would go if they were up against people of a similiar situation
I have to agree wholeheartedly with that statement...
It is scary to go out and do something you have NFI what you are doing. To go up against people that do it regularly...

Maybe have a newbies learn to drag day.. that could work..

Just my 2 cents worth!!
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2006, 06:17 PM   #5
eed-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

MEH
My girlfriend races my speedway car with me. I never encouraged her she just wanted to. IMO having a girls class.. is stupid. Everyones human we are all the same just coz your a girl why do you get ur own class? Girls will do it if they want to but most would rather spend their time shopping. Most of the girls i know who are into cars have been to the racetrack have tried drifting etc and they didn't need encouragment because they wanted to do it!!

Below is one of my best friends. She was 17 when she first started racing her eb and she did it because she wanted to. All of her friends did'nt give a . lol Most of them don;t even know what a burnout is NOR do they care!! I find these types of attitues most common in girls!

I don't know why your encouragign women to get into racing.. i mean, they all know its there they will do it if they want to!! We don't encourage men to do the same! ITs a known fact that more men are into motorsport then women which is why 95% of the cars at a street racing meet are owned and driven by males.
This is where i agree with racecraft. Women to me should be treated the same as men based NOT on your sex, a racer is a racer! Rachelle Splatt proved that!
I hope i made sence and didn't offend anyone :P
520rwhp
eed-250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2006, 08:18 PM   #6
rapidxr6
AS IT SAYS.....

HI all Mrs RapidXR6 here, the hubby showed me this thread and told me to read it. I have always had an interest in motorsports both 4 and 2 wheels due to the nature of my big brothers. And growing up on my parents farm i and full access to the vehicles from a young age. The first car i took to a 100 was in the middle brothers cars a ford coupe, 351 4spd, he was 'away' and my other brother, the younger of the 3, took it for a spin. Of course he asked me if i wanted a drive so i wouldnt dob him in..... so i did have a drive.
"Slow down a bit will ya" me brother says..
"Why, i'm only doin a 100"...i giggled.
His reply was "weeellll the speedo aint in km it's in miles!!" :Reverend:
It's still around somewhere around Coleraine victoria, less the driveline and in a pile of rust.

Getting back on track about this thread i've just a few questions to ask.
How much will it cost?
Where and when.?
Do i need a special licence.?
Is MY : I tell him all the time : :MrT_anim: : it's MINE standard Ba xr6 ok to drag.?
My only other problem is location... rural s/w victoria. 4 hours to Melbourne, 5 hours to Adelaide. Other than thaaat COUNT ME (ok US) THE HELL IN.
rapidxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2006, 08:35 PM   #7
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well its long been proven that motor-racing is a male dominated industry, some women feel intimidated by racing with blokes....

A Chicks brackets is purely to improve female participation, and prove that it is an equal playing field, some women tend to think that guys are going to be better at it than them... but i can understand the whole newbies concept sounds like a better idea.

eed-250, i've seen first hand the amount of women that started in the sport purely from having 1 meet that was a female only event, 31 women to be precise... so obviously not as 'stupid' as you originally thought.... so i'm sorry if you thought it was stupid..but its been proven to be quite successful.

Thanks for your feedback

And Mrs rapidxr6, we will keep you posted if and when there is an event on next...
Old 07-06-2006, 09:10 PM   #8
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

My missus raced at the LS1 Nationals and at our AFF Drag Day and had a ball. She got to race her car in a controlled environment, met some real nice people, and now wait for it............ she now want's me to make her SS Commodore go quicker, so now it's getting LS1 edit, etc etc to go faster.

She has been to many a drag race as a spectator and helped out when i have crewed for some of the Top Fuel teams and we even went to LA for our honeymoon and attended a NHRA event.

I think it's great that more chicks get involved either they like it or hate it, either way they can see your passion for it and support you at the track or stay at home.

The chicks bracket HAS to continue at the AFF meets lets all make sure of that.

Cheers Craig
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2006, 09:41 PM   #9
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
If more chicks go, ill spend more time at the track lol
Yeah, i have heard Mark's going out in a dress next time out to take the Chicks bracket. :newangel:
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2006, 11:28 PM   #10
eed-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fair enough Melz. We all have opinions. I was discussing this with my girlfriend this evening and she reckons chick classes are more novelty for the guys to laugh at. She would rahter mix it and beat the boys and yeah i ahve that same atittude to. I also think a chick class is taken lightly(not seriously).. Also the fact a chick with a quick N/A 6 will have no chance of winning a chick bracket if she is running against a chick in a GT40. That's of course if the chick bracket has differnet categories or is run on handicaps.. Still if girls want to be treated equal then they should mix it up with the boys in the real brackets instead of there own.

I never said a Female only race day is stupid i was reffering to the 'female bracket being stupid' and thats only my opinion!
520rwhp
eed-250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 08:31 PM   #11
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eed-250
Fair enough Melz. We all have opinions. I was discussing this with my girlfriend this evening and she reckons chick classes are more novelty for the guys to laugh at. She would rahter mix it and beat the boys and yeah i ahve that same atittude to. I also think a chick class is taken lightly(not seriously).. Also the fact a chick with a quick N/A 6 will have no chance of winning a chick bracket if she is running against a chick in a GT40. That's of course if the chick bracket has differnet categories or is run on handicaps.. Still if girls want to be treated equal then they should mix it up with the boys in the real brackets instead of there own.

I never said a Female only race day is stupid i was reffering to the 'female bracket being stupid' and thats only my opinion!
The only guys that have laughed at a chicks bracket or thought it was a novelty were normally immature, P-platers that haven't even raced themselves.....

Actually our chicks brackets are run on a DYO system, and if it wasn't for my dodgy carby throwing a fuel block i could have proven that even a 19 second car can win... and never refer to anything as stupid before you've seen it in action....

But thanks anyway for your opinion, even though it is off track of what i'm after...
Old 08-06-2006, 09:01 PM   #12
xd5.8l
Banned

Motorsport, especialy drag racing is a testosterone release something women find hard to relate to. Its frenetic, nerv racking stuff that obviously doesn't suit the female pshyci and domeina?

As for yourself Melz your one of the handfull of younger girls that enjoy competeing. Good luck with your quest its a tuff one. (excuse spelling)
xd5.8l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 09:55 PM   #13
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

I reckon It's a good idea,my girlfriend wants to have a go but she feels a bit nervous about having a go at a regular street meet, a private day or something more relaxed like a chicks bracket/day I think she would jump at,and she will be driving my car when she decides to have a go.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 09:59 PM   #14
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Go the girls I say... :SaiyanSmi cause belive me as soon as they get the hang of it . there will be some very sorry blokes with big mouths with nothing coming out of them except excuses... :
1 st hand experiance 1 little yellow 10sec torana 1 female driver = 1 whoosha out of dyo .. lol ..
still got that motor just waiting for you melz .....
Go get them girls ... Whoosha

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 09:40 PM   #15
Kev_BLNXR8_Ute
Hmm Project XW VAN !!!!

Just look at REDXR8BLOKE and REDXR8CHICK. (Mark and Tracey)

They have raced the same car at the last 2 AFF meets and the Chicki has beaten the Bloke twice. :evil3:

I think the chicks bracket works well.

Some things I have noticed and been told about.

The ladies are very nervous about the whole thing. :
Some people need to shut there Pie holes and give them a chance.

It was bought to my attention that maybe a little bit of an explaination on how it works is required.
I didnt give it a thought till I was coaching a few ppl.

Ok I try to explain.
No one had told the first timers anything about the 2 sets of staging lights or where they are or how they even work ect.

I had a ball coaching the XR8CHICK.
Tracey wanted to know how to do a burn out. :
So I told here how to do a burn out.
Followed by where and how u stage ect.
Once she got that I said ok work on different launch styles. Expained that ect.
Then last of all I said ok lets work on reaction times.

I know some of this is probably over the top for a first timer but it was a guide to what I thought would help build confidence and a new Racer....Lol

She was Hooked after the 1st event and gave Hubby the ok to do some Mods.
They came to the next event where Tracey handed Mark his AR$E to him again.

Im sure they will both be back as Tracy loves it. :

My 5 cents....

Kev.

P.S. Keep up the good work Mel.

Yella Terra Supercharged

Power Output?
ENOUGH TO BREAK EVERY THING MORE TIMES THAN I CARE TO COUNT