Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-06-2011, 01:17 AM   #1
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Anyone else lost their licence driving thru the Clem7?

Yeah, 6 month driving disqualification; 8 points & 900 bux...
I guess we'll survive financially as a family, but, WTF?
We were driving at 84, speed limit suddenly droped to 40, and bang - we're done (camera clocked) for 44 over the 'limit'. Like we'd ploughed through a kiddie's crossing at twice the 40 km/h limit - much like your average suburban maniac killer.
My advice is just don't use the Clem7 tunnel - you can't get caught speeding in gridlock...

Ford17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 08:07 AM   #2
Angeldust

Default Re: Anyone else lost their licence driving thru the Clem7?

Hi, i have read about this in the paper, and it seems aLOT of people have got caught out in something that is just wrong. Variable speed limits, what bs is this...

Also, apparently the police are withdrawing the fines, BUT will the department of transport restore people's points? as i have read this has not been the case in the past.. Good Luck, i hope u get all your points back etc, as this is just wrong.

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

The Lemon7 is a joke.
Old 25-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #4
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Go to news.com.au and search "Clem 7 Fines"

Plenty of people have their fines over turned and some interesting reading.

Personally I wont use the tunnel, at 40kph, its quicker to go the "free" way around.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

I have heard of a few people having the same issues through the Phlegm 7. I would fight it

I have used it twice and both times I have been stuck in traffic. At least when you are stuck in traffic out of the tunnel, you have something to look at other than tunnel walls
Old 25-06-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

WHOA! .. wait a minute! .. you mean there are actual real people, in real cars actually using the Lemon7 tunnel now? .. .. when the hell did this happen!
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
Angeldust

Lol, at some of the responses... i drive past it everyday, and opt out of paying the toll.

Its a disaster, droipping the speed 40kph all of a sudden and having a camera there to snap every one lol... your all criminals now, going 40 over the limit.. this is a huge can of worms..

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 09:10 AM   #8
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I think the tunnel is a great idea. The speed cameras suck, but it pretty convenient.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #9
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.couriermail.com.au/ipad/s...-1226079510090

lots of people caught out by this..
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 09:46 AM   #10
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What? Why the hell does the speed limit drop to 40???

"Variable speed limits in the tunnel broadcast over peoples radios"...? What if you have the ipod going, or a CD? Does it override your stereo and broadcast the warning?

Get a group of people (shouldn't be hard...), all refuse to pay, take it to court. Usually I say "what's the point in fighting it, they're always right", but in this case, it's a problem they have openly admitted to knowing about.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #11
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E

"Variable speed limits in the tunnel broadcast over peoples radios"...? What if you have the ipod going, or a CD? Does it override your stereo and broadcast the warning?
There's signs at the entrance to the tunnel saying turn your radio on and your lights. The problem with the radio is all you get is static in the tunnel unless there's an announcement....and the static is a PITA to have to listen to 'just in case'...

I don't know anyone who's lost their licence going through there, but there have been a lot of people whizzing past the car as though it's stationary. It wouldn't surprise me that they've made a bungle like this though.

The speed limit drops because it's an enclosed space, if someone breaks down you really don't want them being collected at 80k's by someone not paying attention. I think the Burnley tunnel (?) was the reason they have the variable limits, as no one wants that happening here, it was bad enough when it happened in Melbourne.

As for the fines and loss of licence, I'd be asking the questions why...and finding a good solicitor, 'cause it sounds like BS.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #12
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

They make you go 40km/h for entering a tunnel?

In Sydney I can't think of a tunnel that does that! Our harbour tunnel is still a fixed 80km/h no matter what. None of this variable rubbish and its an enclosed space thats the longest in Sydney (I think?)

Some of the other tunnels have a variable speed but I've rarely seen them used unless it bad weather or an accident.
Old 25-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #13
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Until we are free from the carpetbaggers this sort of thing will continue.

It is just a trap and a revenue raising machine.

If it were truly for safety they would have better warning systems like flashing lights every 50m when the limit was lowered instead of speed cameras.

Like the idea of flashing lights in school zones, it is all about money, safety is always a secondary consideration......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #14
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E

Get a group of people (shouldn't be hard...), all refuse to pay, take it to court. Usually I say "what's the point in fighting it, they're always right", but in this case, it's a problem they have openly admitted to knowing about.
A point to consider.

Which ADR requires you a have a working radio in a motor vehicle?
Old 25-06-2011, 12:40 PM   #15
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

No, they don't make you go 40k's entering the tunnel, it's 80...they reduce the limit if there's been an accident/break down/road works, etc.

We've been through there a couple times when the limit is reduced, and whilst the speed signs flash with the new speed limit and the lane affected is usually closed, the spacing of the signs is fairly wide (I think there's only the one at each entry point, I haven't been through for a while so I really can't be sure if they've added more speed signs).

I'm not going to get in on the tin foil hat brigade 'revenue raising' - it's well documented that the tunnel has speed cameras, you can see them on the side of the road...I don't know how they do it when the speed limit is dropped, but I would imagine the limit is dropped on them also. I don't agree with them being there, but they're sure to have pulled some cash...the cruise control is set to 83 when we first enter, and there are ALWAYS people passing us...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 12:47 PM   #16
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

The cameras are linked to the speed signs. So at 80 the cameras are automatically aware of the normal speed limit. Then when an operator notices an accident/breakdown etc they change the speed limit to 40 and as a result the cameras change as well. Problem is if your cruising by being an angel at 75 as the switch is hit to reduce the limit, good luck proving it.
This could well be one of the last nails in the coffin for the tunnel and Rivercity Motorways, fining the few people that actually use the tunnel is abit like biting the hand that feeds you.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #17
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Am trying to find the relevent part in the traffic code about speed sign placement but i cant! The code says/said that a temporary speed reduction must be gradual. So for example if you need to slow traffic in road works area in an 80 zone you must do it by using 60 limit, then further up the road a 40 limit.

A spokesman from the RACQ was on the news a few nights ago saying that very same thing that reducing speed from 80 to 40 may not be "legal".

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 01:51 PM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Am trying to find the relevent part in the traffic code about speed sign placement but i cant! The code says/said that a temporary speed reduction must be gradual. So for example if you need to slow traffic in road works area in an 80 zone you must do it by using 60 limit, then further up the road a 40 limit.

A spokesman from the RACQ was on the news a few nights ago saying that very same thing that reducing speed from 80 to 40 may not be "legal".
Yes but she who takes the money makes the laws.....it will be "accommodated".
Old 25-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #19
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Its pretty simple.. If the signs say 40 do 40..

Like all the morons on country highways that still do 80 through roadworks where its signed 40...

I was in the clem 7 on Friday and we had to drop back to 40 due to a broken down car, I did that and had some humpty dumpty sitting up my ****!!

40 means 40.. is it really that hard to comprehend?
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #20
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Its pretty simple.. If the signs say 40 do 40..

Like all the morons on country highways that still do 80 through roadworks where its signed 40...

I was in the clem 7 on Friday and we had to drop back to 40 due to a broken down car, I did that and had some humpty dumpty sitting up my ****!!

40 means 40.. is it really that hard to comprehend?
And if the sign changes just as you are about to go past the camera?

Oh lock it up and cause a pile up but at least you will be safe by not speeding.....
Old 25-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #21
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
And if the sign changes just as you are about to go past the camera?

Oh lock it up and cause a pile up but at least you will be safe by not speeding.....
They have a change over period delay setting im told.

And the speed does drop from 80 to 60 to 40....

Its not rocket science....

Theres heaps of warning, the signs all have 4 round LED flashes around them which flash when a speed change has occured..
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #22
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No, it is incompetent economics.......
Old 25-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #23
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

And the speed does drop from 80 to 60 to 40....

Theres heaps of warning, the signs all have 4 round LED flashes around them which flash when a speed change has occured..

Ok the impression given in the media was that they were changing from 80 to 40 without a 60 inbetween? Hence why so many were complaining when they got a ticket in the mail.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #24
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

I have never driven the phlegm 7 nor do I ever intend to. Not only is it possible to get happy snapped but you also pay $4 or so for the privilege.

The Logan Mwy is even worse, Black Anna The Pirate Queen, is now raising prices again charging you the consumer more when their faulty equipment doesn't work.

Roads are the governments job as a public service it is one of the things we put them in to do to maintain them not charge the heck out public for it.
I remember back in the days gone by when governments actually built roads and factored it into their budgets and did it for the people. I wonder if main roads will be the next public service sold off to private enterprise.

Good friend of mine copped one of the withdrawn tickets driving through there. He had no idea where he was only realised when it was too late to get off very confusing signage for it as well.

Last edited by SirHenry; 25-06-2011 at 04:22 PM.
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #25
nstg8a

the state govt has earned more cash from the clem7 cameras than the owners of the tunnel have made from tolls.

its not the tunnel owners that get the cash from the fines its the govt. clem7 wouldnt be bankrupt if it did lol
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 05:01 PM   #26
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Im a falsely-economic cheap ***. I dont use toll roads. Granard Rd gets me to the Southside & the ICB gets me to the Northside.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #27
prydey
Rob

Quote:
how do you know though?? i'm assuming you get the fine and bad news by mail a week or so later. how would you remember what the situation was?

its all well and good policing the reduced limits, and it would be common sense to have the camera on a delay after the change over period, but forgive me if i have trust issues with the govt.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 07:55 PM   #28
old_mate
Smash the Boost

Im going to go against the grain here, I use the Clem 7 all the time and i think it's great. Whilst I haven't been through there yet with variable speed activated I make sure i pay plenty of attention to the speed indicating LED signs just because I know there are camera's in there.

I have also never had my radio or phone for that matter cut out on me in the tunnel.

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 08:30 PM   #29
GULL
TuRbO

Talked to a guy that helped build the tunnel and he says the cameras are 600 to 800 meters in on both ends,if that helps anyone.
GULL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #30
Scott

I love the tunnels and the GBB - both my wife and I use them whenever they run the way we're going.

Today for example, from when I got to the northbound entry to the Clem 7 to when I pulled into my driveway in Kedron was 14 minutes. It's smooth, easy, peaceful and cheaper than driving above ground.

I love the Clem 7 - it's like they built it just for me
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post