Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-11-2016, 10:22 AM   #1
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default How Taylor Morgan beat Ford and got a full refund on dodgy Focus

Quote:
How Taylor Morgan beat Ford and got a full refund on dodgy Focus

Taylor Morgan took on Ford ... and won. Find out how. Picture: Tim Hunter.

John Rolfe,
Public Defender columnist,
The Daily Telegraph

24 November , 2016

While up to 70,000 owners of dodgy Fords fume over a decision by their class action law firm to give up on pursuing refunds, one determined driver has motored to a big win.

Taylor Morgan took on the car giant by herself and won. “I got a full refund,” Ms Morgan said.

Her car woes were the result of her 2011 Focus repeatedly stopping suddenly in traffic.

Ms Morgan, 25, had joined the Bannister Law class action against Ford on behalf of owners of 22 different models of Fiesta, Focus and EcoSport vehicles made between 2011 and this year. But then she decided to go it alone.

Taylor Morgan with her faulty Ford Focus. Picture: Jay Town

“I didn’t want to have to wait until 2017 for a result,” the Sydneysider said. “The car might have killed me before then.”

Ms Morgan believes the turning point in her dispute came when the dealership told her in writing she had to deal with the manufacturer. It’s a common ploy used by retailers — and it’s untrue.

As the ACCC website says, a “consumer can ask the seller to provide a remedy, and the seller is required by law to oblige.”

She knew her rights and told the dealership what it had said was wrong. A full $22,000 refund offer came shortly *afterwards.

Her decision to go it alone has paid dividends as Bannister has now stopped battling for full refunds.

The lead applicant in the class action, Billie Capic, said she was disappointed the firm was now instead seeking damages for the decrease in value as a result of the models’ faulty transmission.

“A refund or replacement is what we had been looking at,” Ms Capic said. “I *really don’t know what we are going to get now, I’d be happy with anything.”

Ms Capic is the lead applicant says she is looking for a refund or a replacement. Picture: Paul Loughnan

Bannister Law said it had come to realise not all class members had a transmission problem from the day they drove the car off the lot.

“For those owners who experienced problems after many months, asking for a full refund after having possessed their vehicles for too long a period of time will make their claim less reasonable, less meritorious and less likely to succeed,” Bannister’s Milan Cakic said.

In July I wrote about Focus owners Paul and Vicki Letcher and their plan to take Ford to court. They did so and appear to have had as much if not more success than the class action. “We’ve settled, but I can’t provide details of the agreement,” Mr Letcher said yesterday. “We no longer have the car.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...cdaffb8f2e8a9d
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-11-2016, 10:30 AM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: How Taylor Morgan beat Ford and got a full refund on dodgy Focus

How Taylor Morgan beat Ford!

We can't tell you the details, sorry
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2016, 01:37 PM   #3
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^^ Yes and reading the story it seems she did not take on Ford at all, and went after the Dealer.....
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2016, 01:40 PM   #4
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I met a guy that managed to get a new Focus out of Ford for his issues.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2016, 04:10 PM   #5
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Friend of mine also got a full refund - without going to court. He now drives a Civic.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2016, 08:53 PM   #6
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Friend of mine also got a full refund
Same, and over a much smaller issue, in a Falcon. Still drives one....
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2016, 10:07 AM   #7
DK30RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Same, and over a much smaller issue, in a Falcon. Still drives one....
I believe that friend actually had his falcon replaced rather than a refund....yes over a much smaller issue.....
DK30RB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2016, 10:20 AM   #8
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
^^^^ Yes and reading the story it seems she did not take on Ford at all, and went after the Dealer.....
That sentiment is where all the trouble comes from. As far as joe public is concerned, the dealer IS ford, and ford is the dealer.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-11-2016, 06:43 PM   #9
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't blame them for wanting a refund. I had a rental Focus with this issue in the USA. I was ready to drive the thing off the "Overseas Highway" in Florida into the ocean, luckily we found a different rental agency location and took in back and asked for another car.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2016, 10:54 PM   #10
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
That sentiment is where all the trouble comes from. As far as joe public is concerned, the dealer IS ford, and ford is the dealer.
And so they should. They have the Ford brand at the dealership and Ford allow them to use their brand. A bad dealer hurts the brand. Mind you my local dealer is heaps better then 5 years ago.

Unfortunetley this focus issue hurts the brand regardless how nice the dealer is.
Old 25-11-2016, 11:34 PM   #11
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Good on her. All she did was stand by her rights under what is called "statutory warranty". You buy something, whether it's a car or a phone....the commitment is between YOU and the SELLER, not the manufacturer. Sellers will pretend they don't know about this....until you press them on it. That's why they gave her a refund and didn't get FORD (manufacturer) involved. Just like if I buy a Sony TV from Myer. It it fails....Myer are obligated to solve the issue, not palm me off to phone Sony and the 'manufacturer's warranty' BS.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2016, 01:26 AM   #12
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

The dealer won't lose to much.
They will just put the car on the used car lot and sell it
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2016, 09:00 AM   #13
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Reading between the lines the dealer told her in an email the problem was Fords which is illegal and then all she had to do was point that out and ask what time to pick up her cheque.
The ACCC could have given the dealer far more grief than a $5-10K loss on a car.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2016, 11:29 AM   #14
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's oversimplifying it. She had MAJOR problems. You might find your experiences a little different for a minor problem... ACCC would be more than likely to order you to bear with the dealer until the manufacturer can determine what needs to be done, or they may order the dealer to compensate for loss of amenity, which would be far less than replacement cost of the vehicle.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post