Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-03-2010, 01:00 PM   #1
cougermoon
Mr blue

Default Quick exhaust question

Hey, still new to the forums.

(Thanks to this site) i decided to get some 4499's and 2.5" cat back, hi flow cat and a straight through muffler.

Had it done about 3-4 weeks ago but have been flat out with work to have a good looky at it.

I have a few concerns with it but before i march back to the exhaust i'd like to get some advice so i know what im talking about if i do.

Firstly after my paceys go into the start of the 2.5" pipe there is like a 3 inch dump pipe looking "thingmagig", i never looked at the stock exhuast so im not sure is this some sort of mini muffler or resonator. the pipe used up until the start of the cat looks stock as it looks old so im not sure if its some old resonator or such that is standard with the car and they haven't bothered putting new pipe there or it is a larger escape for the extractors.

few other pics here (sorry they are blurry)

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...2032010087.jpg
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...2032010088.jpg

The other thing i was looking at was were the start of the cat pipe comes off the first pipe (if that makes sense) it looks like the guy welding has had the pipe a little short so the weld has gone inwards around the pipe making the pipe were it joins smaller. Pic below. Is this something i should go take back, will it restrict much flow or is it just how they join the start of the cat pipe? (sorry if this all sounds stupid : )

few more here if its hard to see sorry.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...2032010091.jpg
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...2032010084.jpg

Any advice would be great

Will
:

Engine Mods:| 4499's Pacies | 2.5" single muffler Redback Cat back | Hi-Flow Cat | Custom intake 3" | SS CAI snorkel | BM Hi-Flow Filter |

Visual Mods:| Clear side indicators | Tickford Wings | XR dash cluster | Black gear surround and shifter | Painted brakes | 18" BF XR8 mags | Black chrome tail lights

My Build
cougermoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
The Monty
Just slidin'

Cant see anything wrong with that at all.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's sloppy but that's not a stock cat
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #4
cougermoon
Mr blue

Default exhaust

Sorry maybe i didn't make it clear in the first post as i have worded it strange.
for the first pic there, i was wondering if anyone knew what that bulge in the pipe is right after the extractors, whether its just a larger opening or its something else that came stock with the car. I know its not a cat because the cat on mine is welded further down.
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...2032010088.jpg

For the second pic i am pointing out were the join is made from the pipe to the joiner, it seems to go inwards, but i think its just normal.
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...2032010084.jpg

sorry about the earlier post its not so clear

sorry for such a stupid post im just curious thats all.

thanks

regards

Will

Engine Mods:| 4499's Pacies | 2.5" single muffler Redback Cat back | Hi-Flow Cat | Custom intake 3" | SS CAI snorkel | BM Hi-Flow Filter |

Visual Mods:| Clear side indicators | Tickford Wings | XR dash cluster | Black gear surround and shifter | Painted brakes | 18" BF XR8 mags | Black chrome tail lights

My Build

Last edited by cougermoon; 02-03-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are you talking about the collector?
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon

The old ride....
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 02-03-2010, 06:40 PM   #6
cougermoon
Mr blue

is that what it is?
right after were my extractors bolt onto the pipe, the bulge right there, im unaware of what it is :P

My Build
Old 02-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #7
The Monty
Just slidin'

It all looks normal man. I should post up how mine looks, lol.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:56 PM   #8
cougermoon
Mr blue

ok cheers, if you could pm me a pic of yours one time would be great so i can compare thnx

My Build
Old 02-03-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats just where the pipes merge, its 3 inches but goes down to a 2.5 flange so it bolts up

had to laugh when you said mini muffler tho :P
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon

The old ride....
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 02-03-2010, 08:13 PM   #10
cougermoon
Mr blue

bahahaha im still learning, thanks for the help though

My Build
Old 02-03-2010, 08:23 PM   #11
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no problem lol. are you enjoying the exhaust anyway?
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon

The old ride....
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 02-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #12
cougermoon
Mr blue

yeah purrrrs beautifully, its a 2.5" with 1 straight through muff and a hi' flow cat and a mini muffler..jk jk.. but with the 3" CAI i built on the weekend it pulls a lot harder.

Looking at some 3.9's or 4.1' atm but after reading your build threat im not so sure haha.

I got a quote for a set of 4.11's for $1050 in and out job, there reco'd but almost new he rekons.

still having a think on the matter whether its worth it or not.

My Build
Old 02-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #13
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Champ when you press the pedal does it feel better?

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 08:45 PM   #14
cougermoon
Mr blue

yeah heaps, i clocked 0-100 in about 6.9 to 7 (trusty stop watch in one hand)

Also gears seem to last longer and want to pull harder at top end.

throttle is really responsive and inst sluggish anymore, feels like the engine has let out a big sigh of relief and it can do what it was built to

loud and proud

My Build
Old 02-03-2010, 09:55 PM   #15
The Monty
Just slidin'

Now THATS a dodgy weld:

Old 02-03-2010, 10:24 PM   #16
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if the thing circled in red is what you are talking about, i think you will find that is the high flow cat they have put on.

as for the bit where it shrinks, it looks like they have used the original flange off the factory cat back and welded it to the end of the new 2.5" exhaust you got, hence why it looks smaller as the factory exhaust is only 2.25"
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 11:26 PM   #17
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Now THATS a dodgy weld:

thats realy bad Monty

this is what mine looks like 2.5ich all the way though and a Balistic 100CPI Hi flow cat

Old 03-03-2010, 12:46 AM   #18
cougermoon
Mr blue

oh ok thanks bodes-sh.
in regards to that then what is the black circle in the pics if the red star is the cat? (lol)

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...moon/cat02.jpg
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...moon/cat01.jpg

I thought the other thing was the cat and further down i have a muffler.

sorry for such a dump post -_-

regards

Will

My Build
Old 03-03-2010, 01:51 AM   #19
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats a hot dog

edit: umm how loud is your exhaust? maybe you have a hot dog and a resonator, not really the most common combo
check under the right hand rear wheel arch to see if there is a muffler there, it may be hard to see
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon

The old ride....
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 03-03-2010, 02:29 AM   #20
cougermoon
Mr blue

nah i got a muffler about half a meter down the pipe.

ok so if im correct i have the cat then a hot dog then a muffler?

is this good or a bad thing? i didn't ask for a hot dog, what does it do lol?

is this bad for my performance?, please elaborate :P

shall i go back down to the exhaust shop and get it changed over?

My Build

Last edited by cougermoon; 03-03-2010 at 02:40 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:47 AM   #21
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah, that's a hot dog. they help stop it droning or resonating. if you are happy with the sound, i wouldn't bother, but if you don't want it, take it back. i have a redback exhaust on my au with a centre muffler and hot dog at the back and it isn't bad, no droning at all.

that welding all looks pretty dodgy though, looks like dodgy apprentice welding.... lol
Old 03-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #22
cougermoon
Mr blue

ok many thanks

My Build
Old 03-03-2010, 09:13 PM   #23
cougermoon
Mr blue

quick update i took it back to the same exhaust company just the shop closer to me but the same franchise. Nice guy came out had a look at it and said that it wasnt the best job he's seen and that they had used a chambered muffler on it instead of the quoted straight through.

Anyway i asked what can be done about it cos the guys that did it are saying they dont wanna do it again, probably because there not making any money of it i assume, and i want a second opinion from him.

So the guy ummed and rrr'ed for a few moments and said bring it down 2morrow morn and hell take of the chambered one use it for one of his cars and swap it with a nice 2.5" straight through and change over the dodgy flange pipe with a big new one and remove the stock bit... get this... for free

Couldnt believe it, in this day and age a bloke that would take his own time to fix up a car for free and put a new part in. Im still blown away, but ill see how well its done.

I think i owe him a slab :P feel guilty if i don't

ill post up tomorrow on how it went, hopefully all good (touchwood)

Will

My Build
Old 03-03-2010, 09:27 PM   #24
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so a different exhaust shop is fixing up your exhaust for nothing? very nice, i suppose hes just won himself some repeat business and good publicity
same can be said for the guys who do all my exhaust stuff.... charged me $10 to put a new gasket between two flanges for me after quoting me "about $20"
same guys fitted my redback with 2 straight thru mufflers for $260
they dont work for much margin but i certainly appreciate their attitudes and professional work, i send everyone down there but unfortunately most people in my area go to the place that has 'custom' in the name because, well, its custom, it must go faster
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon

The old ride....
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 03-03-2010, 09:46 PM   #25
cougermoon
Mr blue

yeah i was shocked, but the job hanst been done yet.

If all goes well ill definitely be spreading the word.

My Build
Old 04-03-2010, 08:04 PM   #26
cougermoon
Mr blue

So final update.
the guy was so mad at how it was done, he said it was the sloppiest welding he had seen.

anyhow gave it to him today and instead of just fixing it up he put a full redback system on 2.5" with 1 straight through red back muffler and took the silly hot dog out. Looks much better. and yes that was all for free, he also straightened up how the tip was sitting.

The sound is much meaner. I got up it a bit on the way home and the new sound made me smile from ear to ear.

I gave him a six of beer and thanked him a million time, but he said he was happy to just see it done right.

here a looksie at how better that flange joint ( i believe its called :P ) looks

couldnt be happier

thanks for all the help on this thread

Cheers

Will

My Build
Old 04-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #27
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

What a great out come .. : I think your new exhaust shop deserves a free plug or a place in your Sig.

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #28
cougermoon
Mr blue

Yes well i should name them its Morley Mettams mufflers... MORLEY! Perth WA.
I wont name the other mob who didnt do to well.
But yeah if your gonna do it through the mettams mob i deff would say morleys one, all the blokes there a top blokes and aint just derros who hate there jobs.
Oh and the most important thing, they talk to you like a human not some waste of time

My Build
Old 04-03-2010, 10:27 PM   #29
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

Great out come.........Next exhaust job i will be sure to give them a call.
CRAIGAU3220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 10:38 PM   #30
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it never ceases to amaze me, the range of cheap off the shelf exhausts to suit falcon 6's and yet people still do dodgy "custom" jobs...

glad it all turned out well, i used mettams morley for my previous car and they were really good, pretty cheap too