Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-06-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

Default transporting a car from Perth

I have just bought a car that is situated in Perth .very clean car with nice paint.

I have to get it back to melbourne somehow , was looking at freighting it accross but am worried about such an expensive car being left and neglected, next option is to drive it home. What a great way to start the new relationship with a trip across the nullabour
whats peoples thoughts on either way??

Darren

FTGAutosalvage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 06:10 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

If you have the time, take a week off work and take it easy.

If not transport it, sure it happens all the time, and insurance should cover any possible damage.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 06:14 PM   #3
jones_aus

you say it has nice paint....

i imagine driving accross the nullabor may not be good for that.

atleast if it is transported you could put a cover on the car for the trip.
jones_aus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
ORSM-8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Darren, I sent my Sons XR8 tp Perth from melbourne 2 years back it arrived all intact. They usually give the car a wash befor its to be picked up. Recently my son relocated back to melbourne in January this year and he had his XR8 and his wifes XR6 transported and arrived on time everything intact and in the same condition when the cars were presented to be transported in Perth. So it all depends what your preferences are good luck
ORSM-8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 06:30 PM   #5
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you can also throw them on rail, this would'nt be a gt we have been looking for ?
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 06:32 PM   #6
bonspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ill drive it over for ya. Ill treat it as if it was my own.
bonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 06:35 PM   #7
steweyau

We had an LTD transported from Perth to Mildura using Toll. They pick it up and put it on the train to Adelaide and then it got a truck ride to Mildura.

$600

cheers
steweyau
steweyau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 06:36 PM   #8
andrew_smith_84
my one day build...

freight is costly, mate drove over to adelaide and went home to perth on the train, $900 for here to there, i think i worked it out using my 4L it would b cheaper 2 drive.

just make sure u have plenty of tunes, that looks like 1 long **** drive

and this was about 8 months ago btw
andrew_smith_84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 07:29 PM   #9
nobbystang

It is definately worth the effort of driving it back yourself. We had defence transport one and we drove the other, they use a mob that put the car in a container on the train I'm lead to believe so it doesn't get left out in the elements for the long trip, allow about 9 days from memory.

If you can afford the time, do the drive, need to do it at least once to say you've done it!!!!

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
nobbystang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 08:43 PM   #10
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have driven Briz to Perth and back. And trucked cars, Perth to Briz, I have used TNT, no problems. Drive is good, need lotsa cds, no radio from Norseman to Ceduna unless you like ABC. !! Food etc across Nullabor is expensive as id fuel. But worth the drive..just watch for skippy's etc.
csv8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 09:20 PM   #11
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Drive; the roads good and the risk of damage is really very low if you drive carefully.

Just take the usual spares spares including some coolant and a full set of hoses and make sure you have an insect screen fitted in case of the common occasion locust plague and similar high level of flying and jumping insects (a blocked radiator on the Nullabor is no fun) . The camels cause much more damage than the roos if you hit one (they have killed people) and are harder to see so I would avoid driving on the Nullabor or similar places at night.

Fuel costs unreal amounts on the Nullabor but it is still cheaper than shipping. I drove across (From Perth to Adelaide through the Snowy mountains through Sydney, a day there then back through Broken Hill Adelaide etc) and back in 1976 in 6 days with no damage and no problems and by all accounts the road is very much improved since then (no gravel and not so much single lane blacktop).
Old 25-06-2007, 09:24 PM   #12
old_mate
Smash the Boost

ask Grand Tourer. They sent murray carters phIII to perth after the resto in a proper car transporter. Would cost a bit but if its a genuine GT it would be worth it

or

flog it along the nullabor flat

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 09:25 PM   #13
congo3sr

Smile

Perth to Melb.....I,d use Auto Trans,there pretty big in WA.
They are a part of Toll and do,door to door anywhere in the country.
cheers,george
congo3sr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 09:38 PM   #14
BAWagonWheels

had my previously owned mercedes benz car transported by tnt logistics i think was about $1200 from adelaide door pickup to sydney depot. that also included insurance cover. at least you don't wear and chip your car driving that long distance and also mine arrived just as it left adelaide. no harm at all done to it, those tnt people treat all their cars with respect unlike lesser known companies.
BAWagonWheels is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 09:45 PM   #15
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have transported my car from Darwin to perth and I would do it again.

The only let down was i had a cracked drivers side mirror when i loaded it up and it was completely broken by the time it was in perth. I had to replace the mirror anyway to go over the pits so no biggy.

When i was in Darwin, Toll was up the road where i was. I used to walk past at around 6 in the evening and sometimes they were still loading up. One Patrol they were loading up had the clutch ridden on so badly I could smell it a from 20 odd meters away. Maybe a one off.

I went thru TNT and it was $900 from Darwin to Perth via Adelaide.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 10:06 PM   #16
whiteELXR6

just send it via a transport company by rail they will put it in a container and it will be there in around 9 days easy as
whiteELXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 10:25 PM   #17
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm from Perth and can tell you it's cheaper to send from Perth to the east because they have empty trucks. They're all full coming to Perth and more expensive so they're looking for back loads usually.
You wouldn't want to hit a roo or emu going over the Nullabor.
Old 25-06-2007, 10:43 PM   #18
XA5800
I'd rather be blown

Tell me what you bought & I'll tell you the best way to get it to Melbourne?
XA5800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 11:35 PM   #19
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could employ the services of a professional driver to deliver the car via road to your door!! :
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 12:17 AM   #20
markr154

Check these guys out
http://www.movingcars.com.au/index.php

I've used 'em 3 times (VIC to Perth) with NO probs at all ...you can get an instant quote online.

Very easy to book, pay, and track your vehicle once it's under way.

Yes ...transport from Perth to the East Coast is almost half the cost of going the other way.
markr154 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 12:25 AM   #21
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Drive it for sure, it is something every Aussie should do at least once. It is actually quite a scenic and enjoyable trip, and far from the barren empty dustbowl that people imagine it to be. On the WA side just to the north for the most part you have a very interesting and undulating range that is a beautiful Australian landscape, on the SA side you are a stones throw from amazing cliffs that you can walk to the edge of. I wish I had the time to do it more often. Have done it on dirtbikes, sportsbike, touring bikes and liked it each time. Did Phillip Island to Perth in less than two days last year on a Fireblade and loved it, my preparation for the trip was about 80 laps of the Island, slot in new rubber, wheelie through the tunnel then Westwards I headed, LOL. Always a grand adventure. Doing it in a car though I woudl reckon you miss a lot of the enjoyment, but still gotta be worth doing once.
Old 26-06-2007, 10:58 AM   #22
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
I think you can also throw them on rail, this would'nt be a gt we have been looking for ?
might be _2:

Im keen to drive it back but the cost of transport seems OK so that might be the better option. It comes across in a container and is insured. I would hate to hit a roo or something .
Old 26-06-2007, 11:18 AM   #23
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Doing it on bikes I would also hate to hit a roo, but as long as you drive in daylight hours you have to be incredibly unlukcy to hit one. And infinitely more likely to get cleaned up by another truck or car in the metro area in all reality.

The run to Melbourne is not too bad for wildlife anyway. The nasty bit is when you go Perth to Sydney and have to do that Wilcannia to Cobar stretch which is just absolutely mental with wildlife once dusk comes. But the run across the bottom to Melbourne is not too bad at all.
Old 26-06-2007, 02:05 PM   #24
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Agree totally with the driving it over.

Provided your sure of its mechanical soundness then do it! In the 6 week driving holiday I did with my family a few years ago we didn't even come close to hitting even a single animal.

The one thing I would suggest, however, is to plan your overnight stays very, very carefully and make sure you have access to a lockable garage each night.
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 03:11 PM   #25
351hardtop
Wahoo

I brought mine over the other way (to Perth). Under cover, insured and got here in perfect condition. For peace of mind it's worth it, unless you want to do the drive. I used VIP, they had excellent communication and didn't cost more than anyone else, they seemed to know our paranoia only too well.

If you do transport it - and if the car has good paint, make sure the car is under cover at the depot as well. I found out purely by chance that a lot of them don't do that, you need to specify it, as the car might be waiting a couple of days for a truck. Let me know if you need details.
Rick.
351hardtop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 04:06 PM   #26
Miller
It's Millertime!

I bought my EF in Perth and had it transported with TNT to Sydney for $660. Car landed in perfect condition, I highly recommend them.
Old 26-06-2007, 04:16 PM   #27
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm in Perth now Darren...

If you can clear it with my boss, I'd drive it back..

P.S. What am I driving?
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 04:39 PM   #28
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTGAutosalvage
might be _2:
Im keen to drive it back but the cost of transport seems OK so that might be the better option. It comes across in a container and is insured. I would hate to hit a roo or something .
I'll go against the flow and say drive it back, thats where a GT belongs, on the wide open roads. You dont need any music in the old girl, she should play a sweet V8 song all the way home.

There was an article about two guys who took their gt's for a spin across the nullabour but cant find it.

Look forward to picks.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 05:30 PM   #29
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79
I'm in Perth now Darren...

If you can clear it with my boss, I'd drive it back..

P.S. What am I driving?
let me think about it a bit , no sorry but thanks for the offer

i can see the old girl with a tank full of avgas cruising on 100MPH

Old 26-06-2007, 05:43 PM   #30
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Toll Transport offer a closed in container service, or you could contact the guys that advertise in unique cars (they do show cars).

Id probarly pick the later option, might cost more but definately good insurance..
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post