Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-04-2006, 01:26 PM   #1
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 
Default Vicroads checking all imported cars

I just spoke to a mate who owns a 97 build Shelby Cobra replica, he was called in to Vicroads in Kew to go over the pits, apparently they are checking (roadworthy / compliance) all imports or cars built here but without mass produced model copmliance, Vicroads told my mate his tyres were too wide and he didn't have a brake fail light or tyre placard, he drove in but had to be towed home.
He said all imports like Skylines/180sx etc..... were being called in, they have sercuity gaurds on hand as a few people have gone "Ken Bruce" when told what they have to fix, there will be some pretty ИИИИed off modified import owners if this is the case.

Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2006, 01:32 PM   #2
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

about time they're doing it!!
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2006, 01:33 PM   #3
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That would be a massive project so I doubt it's true, even for a single area. Doesn't bother me 15-30 mins work 100% stock and everything compliant
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2006, 01:38 PM   #4
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevlndStemer
about time they're doing it!!
Yeah because every import is dangerously unroadworthy might as well call in every car over 10-15 years old you'd get just as many clapped out unroadworthy pieces of junk out of the locally produced cars. In fact I would go so far as to say that the majority of imported cars are safer than the local vehicles of the same year. unless someone has been importing from say, Russia or China :P
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
Old 13-04-2006, 01:57 PM   #5
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds to me like a personal axe to grind by someone in power...

quite typical really... thinking there is going to be some really really narky car owners if this is true!
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2006, 02:14 PM   #6
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont99
That would be a massive project so I doubt it's true, even for a single area. Doesn't bother me 15-30 mins work 100% stock and everything compliant
It's very true. They are cracking down on look the other way engineers certs. They are also cracking down on re-bodied cars.

Not sure whether you've seen them? On TV there has been full fronts inc chassis rails welded/grafted onto another chassis. It's not legal. As thats a statutary writeoff (never can be registered again). Some are fixing the cars and cutting out and welding in the metal which the chassis numbers/id are stamped.

I know of a r/w tester than found a aussie Falcon that had the above done. If anyone doesn't look properly? They get canned by Vicroads.

The main things they'll find in imports is "no side intrusion bars". Quite a few imports don't have them.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2006, 02:18 PM   #7
falcon91

Even though I don't own a suped up Ricer I'm glad they don't do that in SA yet, half the cars would be off the road as we still don't have yearly checks yet (Touch Wood)
falcon91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2006, 02:20 PM   #8
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

meh good....a few less dodgey old silvia's

If your car is good then you have nothing to worry about so what does it matter?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2006, 02:54 PM   #9
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Sounds a little suspect to me, as far as I know Vicroads in Kew does not have an area to which they could look over cars.
Old 13-04-2006, 02:57 PM   #10
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

thank god its happening!
I couldnt be happier!
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2006, 03:04 PM   #11
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pinched from melbccr.com

You are going to see a heap of imports put of the road shortly because of this law....

All Rego Offices are asking for photos of said cars compliance..the emissions is the killier one if your engineer goes by the book.

TYRES
WHEELS
LIGHTS....E MARKING
GLASS...E MARKING
EMISSIONS ADR 37
BRAKE LINES
INTRUSION BARS
STEERING WHEELS
SUNVISORS
DIMMERS ON DASH LIGHTS
BRAKE LINES
ENGLISH OWNERS MANUALS
CATS
RWCS
CHILD BELTS
NORMAL BELTS
FILLER NECKS

are some of the items needing attention.

Old 13-04-2006, 03:47 PM   #12
BJ
Banned

Alright i guess you good people should now by now. I work in that department of Vic Roads, have done for over 3 years now. I work nights with a Vic Road's task force that target both street racing and import cars. I can tell you this, everyone of those import cars will be checked and will be put off the road untill the comply. The unfortunate side affect is that it will also come across to early model modified cars as well.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2006, 04:08 PM   #13
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Good to see but at the same time i would rather see old BOMB's be pulled off the road than someone with a worked R32...

But atleast something is happening.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2006, 04:19 PM   #14
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

ah well, im happy in the fact that my car if illegal, is close to legal
Old 13-04-2006, 04:23 PM   #15
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think they will concentrate on older cars that have old engineers certs that have had engine changes as well as imported US V8's etc. The US cars all come under the "old car" banner. That'll be mustangs, camaro's, corvettes etc etc.

Old Australian cars they've been trying unsucessfully to remove them for many years. Unleaded fuel for a start Didn't work hehe. Got to love technology.

Old 13-04-2006, 04:38 PM   #16
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
I think they will concentrate on older cars that have old engineers certs that have had engine changes as well as imported US V8's etc. The US cars all come under the "old car" banner. Thatll be mustangs, camaros, corvettes etc etc.
They are starting from 2005 and working backwards. So far they have gotten over 2,500 cars of the road and some i may add have been crushed. So they are not taking it lightly.

Quote:
Old Australian cars they've been trying unsuccessfully to remove them for many years. Unleaded fuel for a start Didn't work he he. Got to love technology.
Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Some cars they are looking at are from 1967 through to 1977 mainly what were originally 6cly cars.
Old 13-04-2006, 04:41 PM   #17
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Some cars they are looking at are from 1967 through to 1977 mainly what were originally 6cly cars.
I'm not fussed. Both my XB's came from the factory with V8's.

Old 13-04-2006, 04:45 PM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ah yes but what happens if they decide that it must have the orginal spec V8 in it and you are stuck with a 100kw 302?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2006, 04:47 PM   #19
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
Alright i guess you good people should now by now. I work in that department of Vic Roads, have done for over 3 years now. I work nights with a Vic Road's task force that target both street racing and import cars. I can tell you this, everyone of those import cars will be checked and will be put off the road untill the comply. The unfortunate side affect is that it will also come across to early model modified cars as well.
Better clear out your Inbox BJ. It will give the flame mail somewhere to go rather then clog the server.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2006, 04:57 PM   #20
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Ah yes but what happens if they decide that it must have the orginal spec V8 in it and you are stuck with a 100kw 302?
Other XB was factory 302. This ones factory 351. It's the very reason for keeping spares ;) Inc an engine. When I sell the XB it goes with a semi stock 351. Nothing that can't be simply sorted. That's the beauty of old cars and doing your own work.

Old 13-04-2006, 06:48 PM   #21
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh well they'll be a massive parts swapping fest again then. Just like compliancing, swap to stock and then back to as imported/new gear. Nothing new, same as EPA there are stock exhaust systems that have been to the EPA so many times it's rediculous.
Old 13-04-2006, 07:07 PM   #22
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
The unfortunate side affect is that it will also come across to early model modified cars as well.
As in local modified vehicles? That doesn't even make sense unless the vehicles that are being checked are ones booked for an offence because otherwise there would be no register of said modifications (unless engineered).
Old 13-04-2006, 07:21 PM   #23
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

BJ, have you seen/heard any info regarding new changes to importing of these vehicles? I have heard that com gov are looking at changing legislation to make it more difficult to import these cars.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2006, 07:24 PM   #24
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You'll find most if not all of the cars being called forth are ones that have been engineered at some stage. If you cars not listed at Vicroads with an engineers? You'll more than likely not here from them. This all started because a few engineers turned a blind eye.

Old 13-04-2006, 07:25 PM   #25
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont99
Oh well they'll be a massive parts swapping fest again then. Just like compliancing, swap to stock and then back to as imported/new gear. Nothing new, same as EPA there are stock exhaust systems that have been to the EPA so many times it's rediculous.
hehe only 2-3 hours for me to swap and engine out and back in again. Easy as pie.

Old 13-04-2006, 07:26 PM   #26
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

These kind of draconian dictator laws are very disturbing. How long before they start to tax every car more than 5 yearsold off the road?? Just like in Japan....
Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2006, 08:00 PM   #27
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Its not draconian, its simply cleaning up the aftermath of dodgy operators. So a few others get caught, but hey, 2500 less dodgy ricers on the road can only be a good thing? With any luck the non complianced cars won't migrate to other states.
Old 13-04-2006, 08:06 PM   #28
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They have been recalling imports for ages now. I read an article the other day about a few people that succesfully sued vicroads for the money to compliance to their cars as it was dodgy vicroads people that passed some through in the first place.
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2006, 10:27 PM   #29
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Yes your right but your current one didn't come out with a power glide. Which in this argument should have an engineer's report. For two reason's one, it is not a factory Ford part or sourced from the Ford product line and second, it needs an adapter plate for it to fit. So you see there are all sort's of way they can get you.
Old 13-04-2006, 11:45 PM   #30
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

:( thats terrible.

I mean its great that they're cleaning up the streets of dodgy cars.. but simply because a car didnt come from the factory with a certain part? I put a CD player in my XY, that wasnt a factory option :P

I think you're doing a very worthwhile job... i test drove a twin turbo supra that had the BOV wired to the intake pipe.. *shudders*
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post