Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-06-2008, 06:31 PM   #1
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

Default Finding A Studebaker?

This is a pretty strange question to ask on a Ford forum but here goes,

I'm on the lookout for an old Studebaker for my old man, more specifically a 1957 Golden Hawk but to be completely honest i wouldn't have the first clue where to look for one. So if anyone has any tips it would be most appreciated.

If anyone has any general info to add on these (gorgeous) cars feel free to share too.

Old 21-06-2008, 07:26 PM   #2
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi, I just sold my (late) uncle's 1960 Studebaker GT Hawk (same body shape etc as the "Golden Hawk"). They are a lovely looking car & attract a lot of attention when you driving around.
There aren't many Golden Hawks in Australia & you are probably going to be hard pressed to find one for sale - but good luck.
I would suggest contacting the Qld branch of the Studebaker Car Club (www.studebakerqld.org.au). Membership officer is John Cosgrove ph 07 3355 3535.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2008, 07:29 PM   #3
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

The Golden Hawk is a pretty rare car, being the top-spec version with a supercharger. There is a reasonable number of Hawks around but mostly within the Studebaker clubs by now I would have thought. The clubs seem to be very active & well organised, so start with them.

The later versions of the car, post 1960-ish, lost the rear fins (which were actually a separate panel riveted on).
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2008, 07:53 PM   #4
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

Peter B - CV8 - Thanks for the contact mate, much appreciated i will pass it on to my old man. That would have been an absolute stunner i personally prefer the look of the GT Hawks over the Golden Hawk (i've never been one for fins). Thanks again.

outback_ute - I had no idea they were supercharged thats pretty cool, i tried to sell him on the idea of another model that would be easier to find but in his words "nope, the Golden Hawk is the one". Thanks for the info mate, appreciate it.
Old 21-06-2008, 11:17 PM   #5
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here ya go, if you're prepared to ship it from the US.
Mmmm, might even buy it myself, how sweeet is this.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stude...m170231063393&
Old 22-06-2008, 12:23 AM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70caprigt3k
Peter B - CV8 - Thanks for the contact mate, much appreciated i will pass it on to my old man. That would have been an absolute stunner i personally prefer the look of the GT Hawks over the Golden Hawk (i've never been one for fins). Thanks again.

outback_ute - I had no idea they were supercharged thats pretty cool, i tried to sell him on the idea of another model that would be easier to find but in his words "nope, the Golden Hawk is the one". Thanks for the info mate, appreciate it.
i think the Avanti was also supercharged and a bit more modern looking, ............yes it was(thanks mr google), just reading engine options after a google holy crap 290 horse standard supercharged, experimental version dual chargers 575 horses...... not bad for 1963.
http://www.ritzsite.net/63Stude/05_63stude.htm
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 01:13 AM   #7
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Geez i woulda like to have been 18 during the late 50's.

My pick would have been a Buick Riviera, but all the cars in that era were so stylish and cool, the Studebaker looks brilliant in its own right.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 02:53 PM   #8
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
Here ya go, if you're prepared to ship it from the US.
Mmmm, might even buy it myself, how sweeet is this.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stude...m170231063393&
My old man has been hovering over that ebay ad for the last few days he loves it, its just a fantastic looking car isn't it?

I like the idea of a twin paxton blown motor making 575hp but i have to be honest, that is one ugly front end on the avanti but a facinating car none the less. Such an awsome era, all these wild and crazy ideas and nobody to tell them what they could and couldn't do. The way it should be.
Old 22-06-2008, 04:19 PM   #9
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70caprigt3k
My old man has been hovering over that ebay ad for the last few days he loves it, its just a fantastic looking car isn't it?

I like the idea of a twin paxton blown motor making 575hp but i have to be honest, that is one ugly front end on the avanti but a facinating car none the less. Such an awsome era, all these wild and crazy ideas and nobody to tell them what they could and couldn't do. The way it should be.
Mate there are lots of people around that import cars from the US as part of their business.

If you do a bit of a ring around I'm sure you'll find someone who has a bit of room in a sea tainer for one more car and can share the costs.
Good luck to your old man, I hope he gets what he wants.
Old 22-06-2008, 09:43 PM   #10
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey mate, if you can still get a hold of a Courier Mail from Saturday, there was a '63 Stude of some description advertised in the car shopper liftout.
Also found this one CARSALES STUDEBAKER
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2008, 09:55 PM   #11
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nows the time to import to, the aus $ may go up a bit more, but will likely come down, it's the usual cycle i think.

never a better time... have been thinking hard and long about getting something myself.

mick
conordec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2008, 09:43 PM   #12
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have a Studebaker Lark station wagon in our family. When we picked it up from my grandfathers farm and trailered it to my place it got more attention than my XB Coupe or Formula 2 race car get.

When I stuck my toe into the water of OzBoss last one of the drivers; Glenn Lynch owned a Studebaker Avanti. He reckoned as the Studebaker V8's have such a thick bore they can cope with plenty of boost. His had turned plenty of heads at the drag strip as well as on the circuit; drum brakes and all!
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2008, 09:34 PM   #13
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfr101
Hey mate, if you can still get a hold of a Courier Mail from Saturday, there was a '63 Stude of some description advertised in the car shopper liftout.
Also found this one CARSALES STUDEBAKER
Thanks man, i showed him but he's pretty set on the Golden Hawk appreciate it anyway.

I agree with the exchange rate the way it is there couldn't be a better time to import so we will see what happens, i'm pretty excited :
Old 28-03-2009, 08:02 PM   #14
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

Just a quick update to this, after a long long search my old man finally tracked down a 1960 Studebaker Silver Hawk so we had a look at it this morning and bought it. Needs a bit of rust, paint and upholstery work but its all original and 100% complete with the original owners manual and service manual. The best bit is its Aussie delivered right hand drive too!!!

To say we're excited is an understatement!, no pics as yet since we don't have the car yet. Will take a few weeks to bring it home so when it does i'll get some then.
Old 28-03-2009, 09:51 PM   #15
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good work, love the Stewdys.They were always something different.
Old 29-03-2009, 07:54 AM   #16
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Come with me my freind and we'll go over to http://www.ozrodders.com/board/index.php roin the forum and ask the question in the wanted section, and I would bet one will fall into your lap

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2009, 06:38 PM   #17
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

Thanks mate but we've already got one, just gotta make some space before we bring 'er home. Way too many cars and boats at the moment!
Old 30-03-2009, 06:40 PM   #18
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Anyone remember that studebaker that was in street machine a few years ago?

Was black and had a 10L V8 or something...Could pull 300kph with the air con on haha.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2009, 11:19 AM   #19
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Xtreme magazine I believe, was also for sale.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2009, 11:42 AM   #20
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods
My pick would have been a Buick Riviera
The 64 Riv had the BEST interior.

Would be awesome for todays interior stylists to have look at one.
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post