Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 17-07-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
bruster

Default Want a Fiesta Auto 1.6L

Hi guys,

im looking to buy a new car for the Missus..
im looking for the Fiesta 1.6l in automatic, but looking at the website looks like they dont have Auto... is this true?

i dont want the 1.4 because its too little

i really dont like other small cars and the peugeot is too expensive and the Polo is also too expensive once you add this and that.

bruster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunatly, with the MK7 Fiesta there is no 1.6L auto like the MK6. The reason why only the 1.4L automatic was developed is because in it's home country, Europe, autos take up less than 10% of total sales. Combine this with the fact the bigger engine you have in some Euro countries, the higher you are taxed, and there was not enough potential for a 1.6L unit.

I can report however that a 1.6L PowerShift auto is heading our way either by years end or early next year. They may even wait until the Fiesta is face lifted mid next year. But we will be getting it. It's a duel shift auto that in the US they claim has better fuel economy than the manual, is smooth, refined, and very quick.

If you can wait, I'd wait for that. When this engine comes here it'll come from a factory in Thaliand (currently the Fiesta comes from Germany) and you bet with the free trade agreement it'll either be cheaper, or they'll spec it up even more. Either that or drive the 1.4L engine, it's not too bad.

Happy car hunting, hopefully the Fiesta ticks your boxes :-)
Old 17-07-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
Oscuro

Ive got a used auto WP Fiesta for sale if your interested
Oscuro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 12:05 AM   #4
msnealo
Zetec with 17's

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
Either that or drive the 1.4L engine, it's not too bad.
You obviously don't have to live with one!

It sucks. The worst car decision I've ever made.

The moment I can sell the car for the lease payout figure, it's gone. Too bad that will be at least another 12-24 months.
msnealo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 06:36 PM   #5
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

msnealo did you drive the manual fez before you got the auto?
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another member has an auto and when I saw her last she zipped along in her 1.4L auto. I've driven a few, and I do feel they are slow, and the transmission can be fussy at times, but if you want a space rocket you're looking at the wrong type of car. It definitly could use more power, so could the manual, but it's not aweful. But you're right, I don't drive an auto everyday so I'll take your word for it as many auto Fiesta owners have the same feelings.
Old 18-07-2010, 08:44 PM   #7
msnealo
Zetec with 17's

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoesLikeAZetec
msnealo did you drive the manual fez before you got the auto?
No, I've never driven the manual. I reckon I'd love this car in a manual.

The car wasn't my decision but I definitely pointed my wife towards the Fiesta. She doesn't know how to drive a manual and I've given up trying to teach her. So with the brief of a relatively cheap small car that isn't poverty spec'ed the Fiesta won.

Don't get me wrong it's a great car that looks fantastic let down by it auto gearbox/1.4l engine combination.
msnealo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #8
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bring on the 1.6L PowerShift! US reviews have said it's smooth, refined, fuel efficient and quick. That'll be the auto we should have got from the start.
Old 18-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #9
shroomies49

zip zip...! lol

Yes the 1.4 is a let down.. If i could even have my mums mazda 2 engine with my stero it would be THE car lol i love my fez dont get me wrong but if i could take the best things outta both cars it would be sweeeet! maybe ill have to trade it in for the 1.6l auto when we start importing them =)

To date: Phillips H1 & H7 Bluevision bulbs, K&N Panel filter,Centre console, clicon system for gps

To Do: 17" wheels and possibly lowering
shroomies49 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 10:42 PM   #10
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

might see a few 1.4autos in car yards when the new 1.6auto arrives
Old 19-07-2010, 12:19 AM   #11
bruster

thanks guys, so no auto until next year!!!

well i kinda need a car by november and needs to be new because it will go under the business.

So far there isnt many options, but i figure if im paying $20k -$24k for a mini car such as honda jazz, Vw polo (others that i considered) i might as well start looking for a demo civic, mazda3 or even the focus.
all in the low $20,000's

its a bummer because the missus and i really had our hearts set on the Fiesta.
Old 19-07-2010, 12:24 AM   #12
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have you test driven the 1.4L auto version. there is a chance you may like it.

the 1.4/auto combination is average, but from stories i have heard it still does the job of being a fiesta very well. so it may suit your needs still.
fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2010, 12:38 AM   #13
bruster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz
have you test driven the 1.4L auto version. there is a chance you may like it.

the 1.4/auto combination is average, but from stories i have heard it still does the job of being a fiesta very well. so it may suit your needs still.
i havent driven the 1.4l personally but i have been a passenger in it.
friend of mine has one, and too be honest i wasnt impressed and neither is he... for the money they are asking i dont think its worth it.
for me its more about re-sale value and i have been told Fiesta, Jazz, polo, civic and mazda3 all hold their value very well
Old 19-07-2010, 12:47 PM   #14
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Best bet would be to go for a drive in one, and its competitors, and made a decision from there. Some people are happy with their auto, some dislike it with a vengeance!
Old 19-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #15
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Before we got the Fez, we drove the mazda 3's and i30's and civic's and while they are bigger cars, you drop heaps of nice gear for the same money...

$21-22k gets u a fully laden Fiesta Zetec and $22-23k gets you a mazda 3 neo with heaps missing from what you get with the fez.... like alloys, voice control, door handles arent even painted, no fog lights, blue tooth, leather wrapped gear knob, leather steering wheel, usb port, knee air bags, digital radio, dead locks etc etc etc.

that being said, the mazda 3 and i30 are still really good cars, its just how much of the gear do you want to give up? do you want a small car with everything or a mid size car with half the fruit missing but bigger engine with an auto for the same money?
Old 19-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #16
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My thought process was exactly like Troys. I couldn't justify the bigger and more powerful Focus, because $23,000 only got me a mid spec model, but the Fiesta was packed, had better fuel economy, better looking, newer, the only thing is it's smaller and less powerful, but I didn't need the space and extra power. Love my manual Fiesta :-)