Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 29-01-2009, 12:32 AM   #1
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default To stall or not to stall ???

G'day all,

I have a ZF 6 speed auto in my ute and knowing nothing about these boxes ..
could anyone give any advise on the best way to launch at the drags.... another competitor was talking about something called flash stall speed verses actual stall speed ??????? I'm lost :

Tucool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stand on brake hard, stand on accelerator as lights come down, and let go and enjoy the ride!
What motor? Turbo, v8 or i6na
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

It's a V8....
Old 29-01-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some try to stall in 2nd gear, then whack it back into 1st an launch to get a higher stall. I don't like the idea of stuffing around with the box like this.

The flash stall speed is when you plant the foot and the revs rise rapidly up to a point. If you hold this the engine will drop revs as a gearbox protection strategy - this is where they are referring to the actual stall speed. They are using the wrong terminology for the second one because it is the ecu dropping the revs, not as a result of the torque converter resistance.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Last i heard, there wasn't any stallie available for the ZF6 yet, but a tuner could remove the Torque Tags in the box through the SNIPER/CAPA software to allow us to rev past 1200 RPM in first. Or you can try the 2-1 shift technique as described by GTP_Owner.

Obviously this introduces more risk to the drive line etc..
Old 29-01-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Sounds like good advice Men... I'll just stick it "D" and plant the foot ... I have tried a couple of the ways you have explain..and found just stomping on it to be the fastest so far.. :eclipsee_
Old 30-01-2009, 11:48 PM   #7
northey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucool
Sounds like good advice Men... I'll just stick it "D" and plant the foot ... I have tried a couple of the ways you have explain..and found just stomping on it to be the fastest so far.. :eclipsee_
That's basically flashing it anyway. Getting the timing (of your feet) and the tree right is the tricky bit.
Dropping the box back into 1st as posted above is definitely not the good for the gearbox.
northey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #8
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Same here.

Out of curiosity, what are your 60 ft times?

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2009, 07:45 PM   #9
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Howdy neighbour....at least in the same state

Have got my 60 ft down to 2.2, 2.3 sec. at the moment... making a couple of minor changes this week to hopefully get down to 2.0
Old 02-02-2009, 05:14 PM   #10
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
G'day all,

I have a ZF 6 speed auto in my ute and knowing nothing about these boxes ..
could anyone give any advise on the best way to launch at the drags.... another competitor was talking about something called flash stall speed verses actual stall speed ??????? I'm lost :
He talks too muchflash stall speed is when you are sitting there and just plant your right foot.The revs flash up and the stallie grabs at a certain rpm. This rpm is called flash stall. Brake stall is how high your gearbox rpm can go while holding the brakes and accelerator.
Thirdly actual stall spped is achieved with a trans brake.This allows the gearbox to be locked as the revs are brought up and then are released.

In any case the weakness of a stall convertor is traction.Youll need tyres and suspension to do the job!!

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2009, 09:27 AM   #11
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in a BTR 4 speed auto with a single spinner and 20" wheels with 245/35R20 Fullrun(hard as plastic) rubber
and a 2400rpm highstall in my au fairlane.. i pulled a 2.290 60ft.. for a car that big and heavy with 20s and a big sub box... and a single spinner diff..i think i did quite well...
in saying that.. stalls are AWESOME for the drags.. and making noise on the street...
no good for going fast around corners haha
Old 07-02-2009, 04:34 PM   #12
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
He talks too muchflash stall speed is when you are sitting there and just plant your right foot.The revs flash up and the stallie grabs at a certain rpm. This rpm is called flash stall. Brake stall is how high your gearbox rpm can go while holding the brakes and accelerator.
Thirdly actual stall spped is achieved with a trans brake.This allows the gearbox to be locked as the revs are brought up and then are released.

In any case the weakness of a stall convertor is traction.Youll need tyres and suspension to do the job!!
So stalling on the brake gives gearbox rpm but a transbrake locks it.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post