Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-07-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
dylancox

Default Rego Question

Scenario: One purchases a new vehicle from SA and wants to put it under their business name, which is based in VIC. However that person has a grudge against Prickroads and their crappy customer service, and would like to keep the SA Reg/Number Plates (SA Reg/Stamp duty is more expensive than VIC so cost is not the issue). The car will be driven and garaged in VIC, but registered with a mate's address who lives in SA with all correspondence sent to the PO Box of the said business. Owner would like to be able to claim reg/stamp duty as business operating expenses. Is there going to be any complications in said scenario?

dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2011, 11:02 PM   #2
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Rego Question

Can of worms comes ot mine...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2011, 11:38 PM   #3
fmc351
let it burn

It would want to be a big grudge to go to that much effort and risk.

If you get caught out (could happen), loss of insurance cover, fines, to name but two things that might bite hard. Technically if the car is reg'd interstate but by law should be Reg'd in Vic, despite being paid up it is still regarded as unregistered as far as the law is concerned as it does not meet the requirements of the registration.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2011, 12:26 AM   #4
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

There's no way you're going to be able to claim business expenses on said vehicle, unless your business is based in the state the vehicle is registered in.

Another drama is, if local blue shirted people spot the car in your state, with interstate plates on, then you have 30 days or 3 months (not sure how long) to transfer rego over. Otherwise, you'll be paying the Vic government some more money that's not tax deductible.

Or putting it simply. Bite the bullet and register it in Vic. That way you're not looking over your shoulder all the time and you can claim it as a tax deduction.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
Matty4
Banana

I think that to make that whole scenario work completely, then you are going to need all your business correspondence with regard to the vehicle be sent to the same address of the mate in SA. In other words, the vehicle must have no links to you or your business in Vic.

Your mate in SA then needs to forward to you in Vic all correspondence from the Roads authority in SA (sorry, not sure what they're called).

If you are ever pulled over in it and they run a check then as far as they know the car is registered to someone in SA and you've borrowed it, for whatever reason, (holiday, work, etc). There will be no link to you.

This can have other benefits too!!
Old 02-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
Dave3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancox
Is there going to be any complications in said scenario?
Rather than go into it all like everyone else did. I'll just answer your question with one work, Yes.

Regardless of any vandetta you have against Vicroads, what are you proving by causing yourself all this hassle and by your own info, more cost?

You can dislike Vicroads all you like, but you cant just refuse to deal with them if you want to have a car on the road in Victoria.

My spidey senses are saying there is more to this......
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post