Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 27-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
V8XTasy

Default why do people block you from pulling out?

I don't know if it's the norm, but I've noticed on many occasions that people just won't let me or other people pull out of a side road even when they are stopping for lights or a round about ahead anyway.
eg. a road I often use through my housing estate, some cars turn right at the end, having to cross over 2 lanes of traffic to get to the other side, it's quite a difficult manouvre and a busy road. The cars on this side are stopping for the queue at the lights anyway. I've seen people pulling out half way across the road waiting for a gap on the other side and cars will come right up to them beeping and swearing, even though they need to stop a car length ahead for the queue at the lights and in a few seconds the car will be gone.

And this morning, I was trying to pull out of a side road to turn right into traffic on the other side. I know I don't have right of way, so I wait for a gap, but no chance, it's a queue of traffic for the round about a few metres ahead. So I have no choice but to edge out, trying to make eye contact, hoping someone will let me in. But no, people go to the extreme to prevent me from joining the queue, to the point that one guy drove on the pavement to get around my front end then stopped to prevent me from joining, preferring instead to force me to block the other lane with my rear end.

I know there's no law to say let people in and I'm certainly not aggressive to push out into traffic as soon as I get to a junction, I try to wait for a gap, but sometimes there's no choice. I can't understand this insistence of preventing anyone from pulling out whether they're going to be in front or just crossing to the other side of the road, preferring instead to block their path and put them in danger of a collision from other traffic.

Maybe it's just me, but sometimes, if someone is trying to get out of a very difficult junction, particularly if they are already halfway across the road and in a precarious situation and I'm stopping metres ahead anyway, I would not purposely stop in front of them and block their way or act aggressively (unless it was your typical common whore driver pulling out of a junction without looking or stopping!! LOL).

What are other peoples thoughts? Should people be forced to wait in side roads until the road is completely clear or reverse up and take another route, for the sake of stopping for a few seconds to let them out?

Old 27-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: why do people block you from pulling out?

Australian drivers are among the world's worst in their attitudes (so much for the myth of the easy-going laid back country), you have to live with it. Also I don't know if you're from a city, where people are really stressed out because transportation systems are so bad. Move to the country, you'll find people more considerate!
Old 27-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #3
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always let out people from side streets when I am stopping. ****** me off when I stop to let them out and they just sit there braindead staring at me, and don't move out.

Annoying when people don't let you out. Some people just have to be first and cannot be behind someone if they don't have to be.
Old 27-06-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Australian drivers are among the world's worst in their attitudes (so much for the myth of the easy-going laid back country)"

Hallelujah someone eslse recognises this FACT . And I do not think Australians are among the worst they stand out as by far the worst . I do not know what mentally ocurrs to Australians but the instant you put most of them behind the wheel of a car they become arrogant ignorant DANGEROUS ar5eholes ,, and with some of their behaviours attempted murderers .
Old 27-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I've even been known to let Holden's in from side streets when merging - you need to be careful though, as the car behind might not be expecting you to stop to let someone in, so you can only do it if going very slowly.

The reason some people don't do it? Because they're in a hurry and don't want to be held up by one extra car. My advice is to push out assertively, being careful not to cause a collision at the same time - a fine balance, but you'll find if you take the initiative, most road users will let you in. If you wait, then they will be happy to continue letting you wait.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 27-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #6
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What if I let you in, and you then proceed to do half the speed limit as you dawdle down the street?

Or I let you in, and then you take so much of your time clearing through the intersection that I'm the one who gets stuck there on the red light.

Everyone is impatient and its a dog eat dog world - at least on Sydney roads.
Old 27-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its my opinion that in a lot of cases, people who do it feel lack of power in there lives, and this gives them a real kick when they do it.

Its quite sad and pathetic really. My rule is usually let one in then go.
Old 27-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
V8XTasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
What if I let you in, and you then proceed to do half the speed limit as you dawdle down the street?

Or I let you in, and then you take so much of your time clearing through the intersection that I'm the one who gets stuck there on the red light.

Everyone is impatient and its a dog eat dog world - at least on Sydney roads.
I know what you're saying, I've waited for people to cross the lanes in front of me and then missed the lights myself, or I let the worlds slowest person pull out in front of me, then wish I hadn't, or wait for someone to pull out then they don't.
It's a tricky judgement to make, but if they're part way out and the other side is clear for them to go, then might as well let them go. Or if there's no chance they can pull out unless I leave a small gap and they're already nearly in my lane, then let them go in. Again, tricky to call as you can't let loads of cars in front.
Old 27-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
V8XTasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman
Its my opinion that in a lot of cases, people who do it feel lack of power in there lives, and this gives them a real kick when they do it.

Yeah, I was clapping for the skill of the person in the 4x4 ute who blocked me this morning leaving me sticking out into the other lane. 5 minutes later I was past him at the roundabout anyway.

Me too, let one in, but not everyone.

Last edited by V8XTasy; 27-06-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 27-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #10
V8XTasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
Australian drivers are among the world's worst in their attitudes (so much for the myth of the easy-going laid back country), you have to live with it. Also I don't know if you're from a city, where people are really stressed out because transportation systems are so bad. Move to the country, you'll find people more considerate!
Yeah, people are so kind and courteous outside of the car, in the shops etc. People even let you go in front at the shops if you have a couple of items at the checkout. But in their cars, the red mist seems to come across their eyes!
Unfortunately, I have to use the Melbourne western ring road, which is hell most days. This morning a single car broken down near my work, caused a 20km queue and screwed up every arterial road in the process. The queue effectively reached my house 30km away!!
Old 27-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #11
V8XTasy

Actually the freeway is another example and I think it causes a lot of the queues. See cars coming down the slip road to join the free way, no-one leaves any gap to let them merge, so when they do merge (either that or go into the concrete barrier), it comes as complete surprise to everyone, so they brake hard, the cars behind brake hard, before you know it, there's a queue and then a crash.
Old 27-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #12
R1XSTA
Silky Smoothe

I used to be the person that stops and lets 5-6 cars through, Unless im in a severe rush, im not fussed. a few cars wont make a difference.

But until lately, I have changed. I no longer let everyone in, for the pure reason that nobody says Thankyou anymore. I was not intimidated that you started to pull out, i could have easily kept my speed and gone around but i deliberatly slowed down, flashed my lights to allow you to go.

Is it really that hard to wave your hand in the air for a gratitude of thanks?
Old 27-06-2011, 02:14 PM   #13
krzysiek

I always let people in, maybe i'm too nice!
Old 27-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #14
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman

Quoted for truth.

If everyone were to let one car in, there would be no problem.
Old 27-06-2011, 02:20 PM   #15
krzysiek

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1XSTA
I used to be the person that stops and lets 5-6 cars through, Unless im in a severe rush, im not fussed. a few cars wont make a difference.

But until lately, I have changed. I no longer let everyone in, for the pure reason that nobody says Thankyou anymore. I was not intimidated that you started to pull out, i could have easily kept my speed and gone around but i deliberatly slowed down, flashed my lights to allow you to go.

Oh **** yeah, that also ****** me off. Hate coming to a complete stop to let someone pass while driving on the road when there are parked cars not allowing two cars to fit through simultaneously.

So I stop and let them through, and some of them just stare blankly at you, no wave, no thanks, nothing. Very very very annoying. I wish i could somehow tell in advance if the driver I am about to stop for would even acknowledge. If I could just tell that they were one of those ****** unappreciative drivers, I would just go right on it - even if it means both of us stopping in the end. Too bad there is just no way to tell...

Another one that ****** me off, now I hope I don't pull any strings with any people here with this one, but where I live, it seems like the female Muslim drivers think they DESERVE to be stopped for ALWAYS. Take note: not the men, simply the *women*. I have had many experiences where I was well and truly the car that should be allowed to go through (when the road is blocked by parked cars) but for some unknown reason the other car would not stop, essentially will both have to pretty much stop to somehow try and get around each other. I have once actually had to stop FACE TO FACE and the lady in the car was trying to yell at me, as if I was in the wrong??

It's one of those "have to be there" things but when i say that I was definitely in the clear to pass but they just would not stop, I mean it. It is ridiculous, and like I said, I am not TRYING to offend anyone here, that has just been my experience with that specific group of people. Maybe it's just me Hope so, because that **** ****** me off!
Old 27-06-2011, 02:23 PM   #16
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm another person who lets 1 car in, then again I also ALWAYS wave when someone lets me in.. I must be rare!
Old 27-06-2011, 02:28 PM   #17
krzysiek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
I'm another person who lets 1 car in, then again I also ALWAYS wave when someone lets me in.. I must be rare!
Same as me, or if dark, give 'em a flash!
Old 27-06-2011, 02:33 PM   #18
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
Getting the wave these days is very rare. I'm someone who always lets people in.

A few years ago people always use to give the wave of appreciation, now it seems only truckies and tradies give the wave.
Old 27-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #19
U TRYD

The thing that really ****** me off is when people leave it till the last moment to try and merge, especially on the gateway and m1 merge in Brisbane. There is about a 2-300m merging lane and they race up passing alot of cars (cause it is always backed up and under speed) and try to merge in the last 10m when they could have easily merged 100m back. Or even when i have merged and they race pass me to try and get 10 cars further up, then because they are such dicks no one let's them in and everyone has to stop just for them

If everyone just learnt how to merge we wouldn't have any problems but cause everyone lives in there own little bubble these days and don't have a clue or care about what is happening around them we have these problems, and until peoples attitudes change it will always be the same.

I'm the same, I let 1 car in.
Old 27-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #20
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll let a car in when merging. However if somebody wants to try race up to the very end of the merging lane and try and force their way into a line of traffic I will not let them in.

With the side street coming out onto a main road. Unless there is a KEEP CLEAR area you just have to be assertive.
Old 27-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #21
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Another person here that waves if let in. I also repay karma by letting 1 or 2 cars in as common courtesy. But I do get ticked off when the person you let in not only does not wave appreciatively but also drives 20kph for 2km and holds the rest of the flow of traffic up. It's like I feel my good deed for the day has been thrown back in my face.

Sadly, everyone think the world revolves around them and that society owes them everything. Be it older people, or younger people, it doesnt matter what race or age, everyone seems to think their crap dont stink and that everyone else is on the wrong apart from them.

Not sure what its like in the other states, but here in SA they are severely territorial and its like 'how dare you' take 0.2 seconds away from my commute to work by pulling in front of me. /end sarcasm.

What I have found is that position in gridlocked traffic is so dam important to a majority of the drivers that they would sacrifice their own mother rather than let you in on their position in traffic.

On the other hand, the tossers that take slip lanes to pass, weave through traffic like mad people, hold up traffic in the right hands lanes out of ignorance and act as described above EXPECT you to let them in with 1, I repeat, 1 indicator blink within a space between vehicles no bigger than the length of a wheelbarrow.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 27-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #22
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by U TRYD
The thing that really ****** me off is when people leave it till the last moment to try and merge, especially on the gateway and m1 merge in Brisbane. There is about a 2-300m merging lane and they race up passing alot of cars (cause it is always backed up and under speed) and try to merge in the last 10m when they could have easily merged 100m back. Or even when i have merged and they race pass me to try and get 10 cars further up, then because they are such dicks no one let's them in and everyone has to stop just for them
People not merging onto freeways properly from on-ramps annoys me fecally to no end. I am forever sitting behind dip$hits trying to get onto the freeway at 50-60km/h and expecting the traffic already on the freeway to slow down and let them in!!!
Old 27-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #23
V8XTasy

I wish the courteous drivers on here would be on my route to work, it would make it a lot more pleasant!!
Old 27-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #24
kinksta
Luxojet

I too let one in when the traffic is slow and wave when I get let in, but in answer to the OP, "why do people block you from pulling out?" maybe because it is not a law to do so.

Plenty of people don't understand/don't know of the unwritten laws of "road manners" and they seem to be slowly evaporating.

Just like manners in anything, ie. the elderly lady I opened a door for and she said abruptly, "I can open a door, sonny."
Old 27-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #25
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in most circumstances im a believer in a one for one system where if you all stuck at an intersection where there is cars coming in from the side ill let one in then expect the person behind them lets me go and then the person who was behind me lets one in and the world goes around. however ***** me when you dont get the simple thankyou wave
Old 27-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #26
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1XSTA

I'm much the same. Sick & tired of not getting a thankyou wave when I let people in. Got to the stage where I would give them a wave - just to try & embarass them into a response.
I still let good looking chicks merge though.....
Old 27-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #27
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Try it in a heavy vehicle. No one wants to be stuck behind us!

I had to leave 20 minutes early this morning from the depot, to get to my pick up point at the end of the same street 3ks down the road.
Most of that time was spent sitting in our driveway waiting for people stopping at the lights (there's a set about 10m down from our depot) to leave a big enough gap that I could swing out because I needed 2 lanes.

Eventually a truckie blocked off the second lane for me and I got out - after giving him a wave of thanks.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Old 27-06-2011, 05:30 PM   #28
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I usualy give the driver a quick visual assesment to see if they look like their on the ball and not going to just putt out. If they pass my inspection then i'll let them in
I'm a real hard **** when i comes to people cutting into long traffic ques, I amuse myself by making a small gap then closing the gate when they go to make their move .... get in line like everyone else!
Old 27-06-2011, 05:35 PM   #29
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to let people in all the time and still will in certain situations, but one day I stopped, mainly because people are ungrateful dogs that never acknlowedge or thank. So now I charge on through.
Old 27-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #30
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
Australian drivers are among the world's worst in their attitudes !
i take it you've never driven in India