Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-11-2009, 05:47 PM   #1
99_falcon

Post Mobile Phone Usage Law

I know talkin on a mobile phone in Australia has been a no no for a while now and here in New Zealand that law has only come into force since the start of November. What I'm interested in finding out is what other people think of this law. Is it something that is going to decrease the road death toll? Do you think that driving while talking is a distraction and takes your mind off whats happening around your car? Do hands-free devices actually allow you to concentrait on driving or not? Recently I watched the episode on Mythbusters where they put the myth that driving while talking on your mobile phone is as dangerous as driving while drunk and it seemed like it was.
Also, do you think talking to the person beside you can be distracting, especially if you cant always hear what they are saying. Now on the open road there isn't always a lot to look out for but what about in a busy city?

I'm interested in finding out what others think.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's easily to be distracted while your on the phone, plus your only using one hand usually unless you have a hands free or something of the sort. It's a good law, and actually has meaning and works. SMS is even worse for concentration too.

I really should get around to installing hands free but i really cbf..
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 06:18 PM   #3
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Texting, SMS, talking etc on a mobile phone is a complete distraction to ones concentration and I can't agree more with the legislation.
I'm no wowser by a long shot, but twice now, other people have almost collided with me on the freeway whilst chatting away, at 100kph, that's no laughing matter.

Decreasing the road toll, I think it may help, hands free devices I also put these gadgets, including sat nav as another distraction that takes a drivers eyes from the road or decreases concentration.

Strewth - down the road from where I live I have to tackle a roundabout. Last week a fully loaded (soil) 10-15 tonne truck had entered the roundabout, past in front of me whilst I was stationary and what was the truckie doing - one arm trying to turn the truck whilst chatting on a mobile - end result, whoopsy went over the kerb and carried on.

As you can see, not a big fan of mobiles. :

Now, on a lighter note, what can be done about girls doing their make up,hair, nails, looking at their reflection,reading, talking - sometimes all at the same time whilst driving.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 06:21 PM   #4
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I've developed the bad habit of driving and texting...I really have to try and cut it, maybe there is a patch or a gum available?

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
99_falcon

Satnavs, yes distracting. I do however find tht the little annoying voice that we all hate does help. I rarely use one though. You do make good point about the females and their make-up etc.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
I've developed the bad habit of driving and texting...I really have to try and cut it, maybe there is a patch or a gum available?
Having a head on and killing the other person will get you out of it, you wont have access to a mobile phone or car in jail
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 06:29 PM   #7
99_falcon

I must admit I have sent a sms while stopped at the lights once or twice but I don't even do that now. I find my mother a big enough distraction as it is without the need of mobile phones or satnavs.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:15 PM   #8
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would prefer they enforced the current laws (like keep left) instead of inventing new ones, although I do concede this is probably a necessary law.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 07:20 PM   #9
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_falcon
I find my mother a big enough distraction as it is without the need of mobile phones or satnavs.

bwa ha ha
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 08:46 PM   #10
99_falcon

What other things do you think causes distractions? I reckon noisy or fighting children can be a big distraction but you cant not take them in the car or drop them on the side of the road if they don't behave. I'm sure some people would but I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:49 PM   #11
skp
Starter Motor

I txt whilst at traffic lights with one eye on the lights and one on the phone sometimes (obviously that isn't to be done when the car is in motion) You need two hands and alertness to drive in the chance of a sudden hazards, so handsfree is good.
Whether you are alert with driving by nature, and the content of the conversation would determine if it stops accidents. Talking on handsfree would be the same as talking to your passengers, all good to do as long as you use half a brain with driving.

I must admit, I am one of those girls who multitask at the light. Too much to do, too little time. I only do it at lights, but I have a friend who has the rear view mirror pointed to her face with a hair brush and mascara in tow. All whist driving in the city in a manual mind you :s
skp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 09:01 PM   #12
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

If you text and drive you are a Moron, full stop.
The implementation of a law to stop this should not even be necessary, it's common sense.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 09:20 PM   #13
99_falcon

ok guys lets not get toooo nasty here. Yes its wrong to txt while driving, including at the lights. lets just keep it at that.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:31 PM   #14
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
The implementation of a law to stop this should not even be necessary, it's common sense.
I can text without looking at my phone =)

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 09:40 PM   #15
99_falcon

Quote:
Yes, but subconciously you're paying attention to your phone and what you're txting which can and does take some concentration to do and that means there is less concentrating on driving. Am I right here?
Old 12-11-2009, 10:00 PM   #16
xr6turbo2005
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
well i hope you dont do this whilst driving, its just not acceptable and i'd be ashamed to admit it.

there is really enough going on, on the road these days without the added distraction of txting and driving, let alone talking on a mobile phone.

i really think its time the government forced phone companies and car manufacturers the have a standardised phone connection so if you go to the expense of installing a hands free, it can be used for any sort of phone and be easily moved from car to car. Same for bluetooth, this should be a standardised backward compatible system. The Ford iPhone compatibility issues is just fast and whoever has the issue Ford or Apple, update firmware free of charge so people can do the right thing.

unfortuneately whilst technology has improved the way commerce operates it has also caused issues such as this. A lot of business is done over the phone whilst people are travelling in a vehicle. Any proposed laws to ban use of a phone whilst driving altogether, even if handsfree, is just a knee jerk reaction with no thought to the real issues. they need to make the use of phones in cars easier and safer because its here to stay.

2008 FPV GT - Auto, Seduce Red, Leather Interior, Herrod Performance Air Box with K&N Pod Filter.

2018 4WD Everest Trend - Blue Reflex.
xr6turbo2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 10:25 PM   #17
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having driven in California back a few years ago where it was legal to talk on the phone whilst driving, it is a massive distraction. I tried it once whilst talking to the wife and wasn't driving too straight then.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:25 PM   #18
pistolpete

the thing that sh*ts me is that people will spend many thousands of dollars to buy a nice car, but don't spend the little bit extra to fit a car kit. Most bluetooth kits can be installed for about $300-$600, how much is the fine for driving while talking/texting? I do many km's per day, and am astounded at the number of people that still have the phone to their ear while driving!
pistolpete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 10:34 PM   #19
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpete
the thing that sh*ts me is that people will spend many thousands of dollars to buy a nice car, but don't spend the little bit extra to fit a car kit. Most bluetooth kits can be installed for about $300-$600, how much is the fine for driving while talking/texting? I do many km's per day, and am astounded at the number of people that still have the phone to their ear while driving!
The only thing worse then that is when idiots put their phones on speaker, yet still hold it near their mouth anyway... May as well have it up to your ear.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 10:39 PM   #20
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

i sometime picked up my phone when my faincee calls me thats it, i never ever texted her , to me your playing with death.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:54 PM   #21
redman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
This is a fact. People who think they can multi-task are deluding themselves. We actually use a time-slice process where the focus changes from one task to another and back again. The problem is that there is no way for a 'task' like driving to interrupt the 'task' of texting. The end result is that 'too much' time is allocated to texting, not enough to driving and so there is an open invitation to disaster.
redman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 10:55 PM   #22
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Mate since they banned talking on mobile phones while driving, it has had an amazing effect.

People have less accidents, cars last longer, the hole in the ozone layer has disappeared, Fords go faster, politicians get away with telling outrageous lies, people are really stupid enough to vote for them over and over because they actually believe their lies, boat people get to get residency before legitimate people who have been waiting for years, Afganis come to Australia by the boat load while we send our good men to fight for them, dogs bark less often at nightime, the globe does less warming.

In fact I think it can solve all the problems of the world.

Man even the sheep look prettier.

And if you believe any of that I have a beautiful bridge I can sell you. It would look great in Auckland.

Its all about revenue raising if you ask me. If you have money for a mobile they want it.

But stand by if KRudd signs the Copenhagen agreement.

It will be way worse..

I heard your PM on the radio after the NY meeting. He sounded like he had a brain. Had Letterman in stitches. Me too.

I love the South Island.

If it gets real bad here -as it might - I will move to Akaroa or Wanaka.

Seriously.

Last edited by Walt Kowalski; 12-11-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 12:34 AM   #23
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

My last four prangs were the result of people on mobile phone running into the back of me while I was stopped at red lights. In one case they were still doing 60 kmph when they hit me and it was lucky I wasn't pushed into the path of oncoming or turning traffic. I'm in favour of the law and wouldn't mind if they upped the penalties.
Old 13-11-2009, 09:12 AM   #24
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

I use an in car kit in the company car and gotta say even using that is a distraction, dam these mobile phones, I used to love em until I got one for work purposes
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 09:19 AM   #25
deathlucky
Awesome Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF
Having a head on and killing the other person will get you out of it, you wont have access to a mobile phone or car in jail
I have the same problem is there any cheaper option or is this all we can do they need some type of support group for us people
17" BA XR8 Copies, Pedders Coilovers Front & Rear, 30mm Front 24mm Rear Whiteline Sway Bar, Strut Brace, Camber Kit, Slotted Front Rotors, 1636 Wadecam, Au Injectors, El Ecu, TurboSmart FPR-800 (275kpa), MSD Street Fire Ignition, MSD High Vibration Blaster Coil, Pacemaker 4499, High Flow Cat, 2.5" Sports Exhaust, Twin Pod Filters, El Thermo Fans, 2 Stage Shift Kit, Pioneer Sound System : 123.3RWKW
deathlucky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 09:49 AM   #26
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My sister texts while she drives all the time, I got up her about it but she said the usual "oh i dont even have to look at the buttons". So I went over her head and told mum, she got up her, hahahahaha. A lot of things are distracting though, I have a motorised lcd touch screen thingo that plays MP3's and that is super distracting when Im trying to skip albums, so much so I actually have to pull over to change the album. As much as I agree that being on the phone while driving is stupid, some people can do it, I was in the car with a bloke one time who was on the phone, going through the paper and writing down what the guy on the phone was saying. Still managed to change gears fine.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 10:57 AM   #27
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVO_XR
As much as I agree that being on the phone while driving is stupid, some people can do it, I was in the car with a bloke one time who was on the phone, going through the paper and writing down what the guy on the phone was saying. Still managed to change gears fine.
Then a dog or small child runs in front of his car unexpectedly. How does he cope with the situation then?
Old 13-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #28
99_falcon

I'm sure we can all drive while talking on the phone but that doesn't make it safe. Not having both hands on the wheel will hinder the ability to swerve if something runs out in front of you. Thats if you even notice it before its too late.
Old 13-11-2009, 11:22 AM   #29
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Then a dog or small child runs in front of his car unexpectedly. How does he cope with the situation then?
He's not holding the phone with is feet so he could still get on the brakes. Although if you read before what you quoted I do agree that its dangerous and stupid for "most" people, although "some" people can do it. Whats the legalities on having the mobile phone on loudspeaker while held in your hand? That to me is still talking on the mobile because you're still holding it which IS an offence. I wonder how long it will be though before they start to think about taking CB radios off truck drivers. Same principle isnt it?
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 11:39 AM   #30
xr6turbo2005
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVO_XR
I wonder how long it will be though before they start to think about taking CB radios off truck drivers. Same principle isnt it?
As a CB / UHF owner i've often wondered about this too. CB's have been around for over 30 yrs now, and i've never heard of any accidents caused whilst using one. Not saying it hasnt happened and i guess mmobile usage is a lot higher so odds of it happening is higher.

Perhaps the fact CB conversations tend to be a quick conversation that it doesnt create much of an issue.

2008 FPV GT - Auto, Seduce Red, Leather Interior, Herrod Performance Air Box with K&N Pod Filter.

2018 4WD Everest Trend - Blue Reflex.
xr6turbo2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post