Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 30-06-2015, 10:30 PM   #1
extra_g
Starter Motor

Default LV able to read SMS text

I have a 2011 Focus TDCi LV with the Sony stereo system with Bluetooth. I was in the work Landcruiser the other week when I received an SMS and it ask if it wanted it to read it out. I was amazed as I don't hear my phone alert me when I'm driving when I receive an SMS and I do not read them until I have reached point B (for legal reasons). I just read an article that in the USA ford have released an upgrade which is installed via USB stick.
Is there a way I can get my hands free system to read my SMS's?
Does it already have the ability and I don't know about it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz7jafbg0aI

Above link shows the radio type I have.

Last edited by extra_g; 30-06-2015 at 10:45 PM.
extra_g is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2015, 03:18 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: LV able to read SMS text

Don't think the LV had this feature although I think some LW models do. It's possible that the feature has subsequently been released but I've not seen anything here about it.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2015, 10:33 PM   #3
partsguy
Fan of torque steer

My LZ ST does this trick, so did my WZ ST.
The limitation of the system was that an iPhone message could be read on screen and out loud but couldn't be replied to in any way.
My 2011 LV Zetec couldn't do anything, not even a notification.
2015 LZ Focus ST, Frozen white with tech pack. Mountune intercooler, intake, Mountune sports cat, Mountune cat-back and Cobb stage 3 tune. FSwerks short shift and the best performance upgrade yet - Michelin Pilot Sport 4's. Quaife LSD.
partsguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2015, 01:46 AM   #4
ljf12

I used to have a windows phone (Nokia Lumia 720), scared the crap out of me the first time it happened in my Mk2 FG. It would say you have a text from so and so, do you want to hear it or ignore. That phone had an accident , my Samsung Galaxy phone won't convert text to speech but you can get apps that will do it via bluetooth through your car audio system.
ljf12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2015, 09:03 AM   #5
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Sync 2 system does it.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:46 AM   #6
extra_g
Starter Motor

Thanks guys for your replies. I have come to the conclusion that the LV does not and will not support text to voice. It's pitty as I like the feature and as I said I don't hear my phone alert me when an SMS is received whilst I'm driving.
At least the work vehicle has it and I spend more time on journeys in the work vehicle than I do my Focus.
extra_g is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2015, 01:44 PM   #7
ljf12

If your car has bluetooth there are plenty of phone apps (some free) that will do it for you.
ljf12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post