Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 17-12-2011, 11:44 PM   #1
Golfer

Default Sat Nav - worth the wait?

Looks like a ten to twelve week wait for chosen colour etc with Sat Nav. Can get one without Sat Nav straight away.
From those who have Sat Nav is the wait worthwhile?

Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 12:16 AM   #2
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Sat Nav - worth the wait?

I don't have it, and I wouldn't spend $2k+ for it from the factory.

My phone does the trick or a $150 GPS attached to the windscreen is just as effective... waste of money IMO.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 01:32 AM   #3
ConradP

Isn't it free from factory now?
Old 18-12-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
Nichol

It's $500 on top of the original pricing without sat nav. But you could definitely get that $500 taken off your price easily.
Mine is coming with the sat nav, so I can't say just yet if it's one of the better in built sat navs.
Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #5
harveyr

If you have to pay the extra $500 for the sat nav it isn't worth it (I got mine free having ordered the car last September). On my previous car I had a Garmin Nuvi 1450 from Dick Smith at $200. The Garmin has many features that are far better than the Bosch (Blaupunkt) one on the Focus, such as: better display, constant warning of speed limit at current location, warnings of fixed sped cameras, better guidance on lane position, photographs of comnplex intersections to help get into correct lane, lifetime map updates free, ability to plan routes on your PC and transfer them to the unit, etc., etc.
My son who works for Ford in Europe tells me that at some time next year we'll get the Ford "MyTouch" sytem which will provide all the missing feeatures of the current system. That may be worth the wait, but the current sat nav system is not worth waiting for.
harveyr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Police are clamping down on how they are used. In QLD if the GPS unit isn't in the lower right hand corner of the windscreen, its a $250 fine and 3 demerit points. Might be better to get the one with the Focus and the missing features might be in an upgrade, next year ???
Old 18-12-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'd go for something thats integrated, you don't want something sitting on the windscreen because your car might be a target for a break in if they see the suction cap mark, or a picky cop might try get you on having something blocking your vision.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 01:07 PM   #8
Spinner77

Quote:
you don't want something sitting on the windscreen because your car might be a target for a break in if they see the suction cap mark
Are thefts of GPS units still known? From what I can see the non-integrated units are now very common.

Also, I would have thought that since they are so cheap now, a break-in to get the GPS does not make a lot of sense.

But I could be wrong of course.
Spinner77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 11:14 PM   #9
Nolz

If you can negotiate on price or have it thrown in with the deal then I DO think it's worth it. I'm comparing the unit with my old Garmin GPS and also an integrated one in my wifes 2010 Forester.

It does mean you get a larger LCD screen, and the integration into the car is a worthy option. You not only get the voice commands (which are pretty good) through the cars speakers but also graphic displays on the screen between your speedo/tacho this for me is the clincher. The integration with the rest of the cars system is what makes it a worthile addition, at the right price.
No cables, no suction caps, no risk of theft or fines!

Compared to some older NAV systems I've used, this seems to be reasonably quick to boot up load, calculate, recalcuate...and has most of the required features that you want for day to day driving and navigating.
Nolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 11:17 AM   #10
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi all,

That comment about needing to be on the lower righthand corner of the screen is illuminating. But it is where I mount mine anyway as it's much more accessible there for a right handed person.

My question of the dealer would be "How many map upgrades are included in the cost of the item, and when they run out (if there are any!) what is the cost of the upgraded maps and can the owner do the upgrade?"

In my experience the integrated GPS systems are behind the times for current maps by as much as 12 months and the upgrades are expensive, and getting them loaded is sometimes a problem.

A further problem with the integrated units (for me) is that the screen is often located such than you need to look down and sideways to acquire the graphics details and this often requires a head movement. At the lower RH corner it's mere an eyeball shift as the screen is close to the drivers normal sightline. (Probably why the Qld Police are getting "cute" about where it is located)

I was in Tricky Dicky Smiths the other day and noticed that one of the after market people (Navman I think) was offerring a 5" screen unit for under $200 with a 2 year guarantee and 3 Years of map upgrades included in the price. I suppose some people don't like the idea of cables trailing about the cabin, but getting a power outlet immediately below the unit should not be too difficult.

A further consideration is that if an integrated unit gets a glitch that needs a service centre then you lose the car for a day while it's fixed. Also you can take demountable unit with you if you travel by air and hire a car at the destination - that way you don't have to "learn" a new interface.

So an after market unit is:
Cheaper,
Has more up to date maps,
Can be mounted where the driver (or the police) wants it,
Usually has no cost map upgrades for a goodly period,
Can be taken with you to another vehicle, either temporarily or permanently

But

Might make you more susceptible to car damage and theft
Takes some time to get the thing organised if you are rigourous about demounting when parked in an unsecured place.

So I guess, on balance, I'm on the other side of the fence from Nolz - but to each his own

Cheers

And Merry Christmas to all

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 11:27 AM   #11
sysh
A few screw loose

.. I got myself a Garmin Nuvi 1350 4.3" for $158 @ Dick Smith and I find it good enough. It comes with Lifetime Map Update so that was something good. Got a nice Garmin friction mount on the cheap ($20) too to replace the awful suction pad
sysh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #12
Golfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolz

It does mean you get a larger LCD screen, and the integration into the car is a worthy option. You not only get the voice commands (which are pretty good) through the cars speakers but also graphic displays on the screen between your speedo/tacho this for me is the clincher. The integration with the rest of the cars system is what makes it a worthile addition, at the right price.
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Have decided to wait and go with the integrated system for the reasons outlined by Nolz.
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #13
makattkd
RallyNav

I heard that the Nov release which included satnav also had some tweaks to the chassis? Map updates are through a SD card slot.
My big gripe is no reversing camera, I am guessing the reason is for a future upgrade and mysync
makattkd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #14
jayjays
Starter Motor

I've heard it costs a great deal of money to update the maps on most factory systems, ie $1000 +
jayjays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post