Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-12-2009, 04:31 PM   #1
NET351
'69 XW

Default WAECO Fridges

Hi! I'm looking at buying a portable fridge/freezer probably the Waeco CF50. Opinions on this model and does anyone know stores in brisbane (prefer southside) that will be cheap?

NET351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
whiteELXR6

I haven't got any real opinions on that particular model but I'm a truck driver and I see alot of blokes using them. They are not as good as the engels but there also not as expensive just depends what your using it for I guess.
2007 Kenworth T401 Tipper-the road builder
whiteELXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2009, 07:32 PM   #3
jasjul

I have one, had it for about 5 years, no complaints. You need a good battery and good heavy duty wiring to run it. I'm no auto elec, but apparently it takes a bit of a jolt to kick the compressor over.

I initially had rubbish wiring and was having problems running it, once the wiring was sorted, no more problems. i've now spoken to others who had similar wiring issues.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:31 PM   #4
rodderz

Engel make good fridges too, but I think pricey. My old man and brother both have had theirs for close to 20yrs, they made set them up on a slide to come out of the back of the 4wd on runners.
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2009, 12:19 AM   #5
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not dealt with waeco but +1 for engel. ours would be 25+ yrs old has been crashed and bashed around oz more times than i can remember. never been serviced but it still goes great to this day.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:49 AM   #6
buts46

Ditto our Engel... 29 years old and still going strong
buts46 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2009, 09:14 AM   #7
Tobey
BF Ute...

Ive got a CF40 and mate has a CF60, Ive had mine for about a year and my mate 3 or 4 months - Both have been back for electrical repairs (mine the control panel died, my mates wouldnt run on 240v) and mine had a lid replace because it warped.

From speaking to the bloke at the repair shop, he said both are as bad as each other. But if you can justify it (i couldnt) go an ENGEL. I picked my CF40 up for $700 and my mate got his CF60 for $800. Mine was ex-demo his end of life.
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #8
NET351
'69 XW

Thanks guys. Think I'll go the Waeco as I can't justify the extra $ for Engel seeing as it will only be used ocassionally. Cheers for the comments!
Old 02-12-2009, 01:24 PM   #9
BigAL_250
and that's how it is

Here it is as far as fridges go

Waeco:
Pros;
Cheaper to buy, lighter & easier to deal with, longer warranty (3 Years on body, 5 on Kompressor), major accessories can also be cheaper (such as a insulated cover). Danfoss BD-35F Kompressor is German, has 3 stage battery protection. Made for the weekend warrior.

Cons; Perceived brand recognition, perhaps less durable than Engel (but not by as much as you might think), If the Kompressor blows out of warranty you will be up for a whole fridge as it is built in to the unit. Interior space can be compromised by the location of the Kompressor. People will ask you why you didn't get the Engel (brand perception).

NOTE for Waeco: Make sure you keep to the CF range, some people are tempted by the cheaper CDF models (about $200 less), and while they still have a kompressor, it doesn't cool nearly as well, it only has about half the insulation, and you'll only get a 1 year warranty on body / 2 year on kompressor.

Engel
Pros:
Been around forever, they don't break (infact Engel haven't changed the design of their smaller fridges for a few decades I think). Stronger and can take more of a pounding due to their steel construction, if the motor dies it can be swapped out for a new one rather than buy a new fridge, (not that they break much), pretty much every decent outdoor shop or 4wd outlet will stock parts for them. Sawafuji Swing Motor (Japan) can function while on an angle and does not protrude into the interior. People will like you because you have an Engel.

Cons:
More expensive, heavier & harder to lug around, major accessories are generally more to buy as well, only a 3 Year Warranty on everything (not necessarily a con, but it is less than a Waeco). Does not have battery protection, so be careful if you're running it with the engine off.

Thats what I can think of at the moment, and yes I sell fridges at work
BigAL_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 12:31 PM   #10
NET351
'69 XW

Wow! Thanks Bigal_250 that's the exact kinda info I needed. You wouldn't believe how unhelpful and unknowledgable some of the clowns were in the camping stores I spoke to! Ended up getting the CF-50, got a good deal and it looks like that will suit our needs. Have a trip coming up in a week or so that will test it out anyway...Thanks again.