Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 19-02-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
scooby

Default Cold Start Rattles?

I have been the proud owner of a brand new Fiesta for 10 days now. Woopee!
Only problem is when I start it cold (i.e. it hasnt been started since the day before) I can hear a weird rattle from the motor. It goes away after 15 or 20 seconds, then it's fine all day. Car drives fine with no rough idle , etc.
Any ideas what it is?

scooby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 08:51 PM   #2
photn
AFF Post NAZI

thats interesting.....could it be something loose that when heated / gets going tightens?

btw welcome and congrats on the car.
What make and model do you have. do you have any picuters.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 09:35 PM   #3
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
What make and model do you have. do you have any picuters.
Yes, welcome to the forum... you'll get used to us pretty quick. That's actually how photn say "pictures".... picuters.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 10:11 AM   #4
scooby

Lol.... I can't spell either.
Mines a stock standard WQ LX , moondust silver. The only extra it has is window tint. Alloy wheels are next on my list. I will take some pics after I get the wheels.
It's booked in tomorrow to get the noise checked. But scooby's law #58 says
" all weird engine noises dissapear if a mechanic gets within 50 metres of your car" , so we'll see what happens.
Old 20-02-2007, 11:29 AM   #5
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeh I hope it's not that serious and I hope they fix it.

Hey, where abouts are you in Sydney? Us NSW people occassionally have cruises where we just drive to a location and hang out. You should come along to our cruises! You can see some pics here www.eurofordclub.com/gallery

Eurofordclub was invited to a joint cruise to Bathurst last weekend. It was WICKED! You can read all about it here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...4&page=1&pp=25
Old 20-02-2007, 12:09 PM   #6
morbo

Congrats on your car scoobs! I think mine's a few days older than yours. Same spec too - though i need to get window tint.
morbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 02:37 PM   #7
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperKid
Yes, welcome to the forum... you'll get used to us pretty quick. That's actually how photn say "pictures".... picuters.
thats so true lol....that or i was just so excited cause we havent had a new member in ages lol. i must of just been eager hahaha

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 03:18 PM   #8
darkcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby
I have been the proud owner of a brand new Fiesta for 10 days now. Woopee!
Only problem is when I start it cold (i.e. it hasnt been started since the day before) I can hear a weird rattle from the motor. It goes away after 15 or 20 seconds, then it's fine all day. Car drives fine with no rough idle , etc.
Any ideas what it is?
yeah that happend to mine, and its starting to happen again. it just sounds like the engine is really rough eh? got it fixed first time at the ford dealer where they reflashed the ECU, it was fine for like 2months but its starting to happen again. gona go again and prob leave the car there for one day so they know what i'm talking about, it only happens the first time you start so might as well leave it there for them to check. but yeah after that its smooth all the way~
darkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 06:57 PM   #9
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Congratulations on purchasing a new fiesta.

I was the proud owner of a new fiesta for two years. I noticed the rattle from day one.

The rattle is totally normal, even after i put fresh oil in it every 3thousand kms it still did it.
Dont worry, just enjoy the car.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2007, 07:11 PM   #10
scooby

Well I booked the car in and of course the mystery noise has dissapeared haha, but the mechanic said it could be the starter motor...Anyways i got to meet you friendly guys here. Hey, thanks for the replies.
Old 23-02-2007, 07:21 PM   #11
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, I paid attention this morning. I started the car... goes as usuall... but after 10 seconds or so there's that "rattle" that last for about 5 seconds and then it's gone.

I believe it's always been like that. Shouldnt be a problem at all.