Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-10-2007, 10:12 PM   #1
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Default Bathurst 1000, what's going on??

I have never heard of problems of any great signifigance at Bathurst. So why have they created a micro police state???

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...007132,00.html

Have I missed something here?? Or is this just a reflection of the attitude of our elected masters and the police towards anyone that happens to enjoy performance cars and race meeting's. Beer rationing, personal search's, what's next, full body search's??

Old 05-10-2007, 10:17 PM   #2
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Vote Now!

Do you support the police action?
Yes - I'm tired of the Bathurst hooligans
No - this nanny state business is out of control
: : : : : :
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2007, 10:33 PM   #3
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What goes on up on the hill after dark is beyond belief. These morons get carried away and wreck it for everyone else. They light fires that get out of hand, torch cars, burn tents, assaults etc etc.
It wont be long and they will ban overnight camping because of these drop kicks.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:43 PM   #4
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
Or is this just a reflection of the attitude of our elected masters and the police towards anyone that happens to enjoy performance cars and race meeting's.
What they are targeting is nothing to do with enjoying performance cars and race meetings...

Mind you I find it interesting the police are confiscating alcohol - from what I understand it is a condition of the entry ticket, for which an interpretation has been issued on the amount, so surely enforcing that is the job of private security & not the police.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2007, 10:45 PM   #5
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Ridiculous. APEC was only the beginning, now they are attempting to justify the expenditure for that by throwing all that hardware at whatever they feel like.

This is how the Bathurst bike races were killed off - police overkill, which of course riles up the natives who just want to be left alone to have their fun. Of course some of it gets out of hand, but the police have never had any problems dealing with it in the past.

Watch Bathurst Council start whinging next year when only half the usual number of race fans turn up - I had to miss it this year (third kid due any time) but next years trip has gone from a 'definite' to a 'maybe', and I'm far from a hellraiser when I go to major sporting events.

Andrew Sciopione (sp?) is just bad news.
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2007, 10:57 PM   #6
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I found this interesting

"Assistant Police Commissioner Garry Dobson yesterday announced a large quantity of beer and spirits had been seized along with 50 arrests in just 48 hours. With less than 20 people arrested at last year's event, Mr Dobson denied the drastic increase in police numbers was "overkill".

The weekend has not yet even started....... Last year only 20 arrests!! 50 arrests sofar!! All they are doing is creating a problem where there wasn't one. My guess is that state gov and the cops want an end to Bathurst, and they will use this as an excuse.

And people wonder why some members of society have little respect for police, this kind of BS will nothing to change that.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:37 PM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have been threatening to go to this event since ........well a long time ago but these sort of images do nothing to inspire confidence of a fun trip, would be guessing but i am thinking lots of rwc checks and hassles as well free canaries to all and sundry, what was it like in this respect last year? 750 police sounds a bit over the top
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2007, 11:56 PM   #8
Dilan

Maybe it is to stop stuff like "I still know what you did last Bathurst". Poor innocent Volvo :
Old 06-10-2007, 12:03 AM   #9
XAGSV8
Member 178

Yes - I'm tired of the Bathurst hooligans.

If people need more then a slab in three days to have fun they are the wrong type of people going to this event. If its a place I can't take my wife (up on the hill) then I won't go at all. Keep in mind some of the 50 arrests were drug related.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
XAGSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 12:18 AM   #10
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

So there are problems on the hill?? Like I said, have I been missing something? Do the problems that have been happening warrant the iron fist approach that is underway??
Old 06-10-2007, 12:27 AM   #11
Donut King
Officially Unemployed!

Its always been a bit wild up the top, which they have been trying to tackle for a while now, first it was stopping wrecks being brought in to blow up & torch, then they banned bikes and ride-ons, then the couches and fenced off areas & this year they're cracking down on drugs, alcohol & fireworks.

If I am there myself I don't have too many issues going up there, but if I am with others, I don't especially if there are women in the group.

There was a great article in top gear magazine a year or two back about the experience at the top of the track at night actually, it detailed the night wars that go on with flares fireworks, and all that type of stuff. There have also been certain videos released I think they were called "Welcome to wherever you are".

Incidents in the past have resulted in vendor stalls being torched and the like, so it does need attention - the problem is that with an approach like the one we are seeing this year, it's likely to cause a hell of a lot more tension between the people & the police presence, and is therefor more likely to cause flare ups as each side pushes the limits

Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 12:32 AM   #12
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAGSV8
Yes - I'm tired of the Bathurst hooligans.

If people need more then a slab in three days to have fun they are the wrong type of people going to this event. If its a place I can't take my wife (up on the hill) then I won't go at all. Keep in mind some of the 50 arrests were drug related.
I agree. Yes you can have your beers and enjoy the greatest race ever but to carry on like these idiots do is just beyond a joke.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 12:43 AM   #13
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Well leave them in separate campgrounds to have their fun and leave them to it. Nanny state overkill is not what is needed. I think this copper will get told to pull his head in or he will have riots this weekend which will kill it forever.

A bit like the good fun in the main streets of Cowes on the GP and World Superbike weekends. Killed by out of town coppers even though the locals loved every minute of it and supported it. But no the fun police come in and take the heart out of it and kill the event until it is truly dead.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:50 AM   #14
myxr6
Banned

Reminds me of easter when the bike races where on.They ruined it for one and all.
myxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 01:10 AM   #15
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
.......the fun police come in.......

My ex-girlfriend was there?
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 01:19 AM   #16
XAGSV8
Member 178

Quote:
So there are problems on the hill?? Like I said, have I been missing something? Do the problems that have been happening warrant the iron fist approach that is underway??
Yes, I don't know, Yes.

In referance to question 3. The one slab rule could have been advertised a bit sooner. I believe organisers only made that decision a couple of weeks ago.

Quote:
Last year only 20 arrests!! 50 arrests sofar!!
You only get arrested if you are doing something wrong. These morons probably won't return next year due to this crackdown. I respect your opinion but if people do the right thing and there is nothing to worry about.

I'm all for having a beer or two and enjoying the race but half of these people are not there for the race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
Well leave them in separate campgrounds to have their fun and leave them to it.
Why should they, it would condone their actions and cost the organisers money to do this. Not to mention the duty of care I believe organisers would have.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia

Last edited by XAGSV8; 06-10-2007 at 01:27 AM.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:26 AM   #17
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
You only get arrested if you are doing something wrong. These morons probably won't return next year due to this crackdown. I respect your opinion but if people do the right thing and there is nothing to worry about.

I'm all for having a beer or two and enjoying the race but half of these people are not there for the race.

Why should they, it would condone their actions and cost the organisers money to do this. Not to mention the duty of care I believe organisers would have.
So it does sound like there have been some problems at races past. But the way it is being handled at the moment seems a bit 4th reich. Do they really need a riot cannon!!
Old 06-10-2007, 01:29 AM   #18
XAGSV8
Member 178

I hope they don't need the canon. Sorry but I edited my post above. Have a look at I know what you did last Bathurst on Youtube. This video is tame compared to some of the stuff I have seen/heard on top of the mountain.

Anybody remember what happened to the roo Richards hit a couple of years ago?

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia

Last edited by XAGSV8; 06-10-2007 at 01:39 AM.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:35 AM   #19
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My guess is that state gov and the cops want an end to Bathurst, and they will use this as an excuse.
A sure way for the government to get voted out next election. If they mess with the holy grail of Australian motorsport, they will feel the wrath of many voters
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 02:19 AM   #20
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Yea , top of the hill has got pretty wild the last few years ,as mentioned , the Vendor Van's being burnt , Dunnies being trashed before Saturday , you can't sleep in your tent , it can get burnt while you're in it . Couple of years ago a couple of people got hurt when a car doing Donuts went through a tent with people in it , , guy's getting "high as a Kite" , car's getting damaged , Both Kinds . One of the locals from here had his Bonnet , Roof and Boot jumped on and guards kicked in , enough to write his car Off . Plus cars getting burnt , WD40 fights (start spraying then hit it with a lighter ?)
If you took a lounge or chairs to sit on they ended up on a "bonfire" , Girls got Abused and Grabbed in the crotch , boob's pinched etc. .All this has happened over a couple of years , not just the one ,
It's hard to judge how many Police should be there , too many and it's "over-kill", or not enough and they can't control the Idiots ?

It's like anything "a few wreck it for the majority" , Years ago you could take your family there , but not any more .

With the "Booze Ban" , You're allowed "1 carton Per Person Per Day" I think , but it was like one guy said , if you have a "skin full" that night , next morning you're over the limit to go and get some more . What they need is some sort of "storage" so you take your cartons with you and "Claim 1 a day."

Sort of like "Being Caught Between a Rock & A Hard Place "

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 02:47 AM   #21
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What bogans do best at the mountain...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ86aFB56iU (shame the axe didn't fly back and hit them in the face)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXsHq...olvo%20Bullpit (check out the attitude to the police and firebrigade at the end of this)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkUhO...olvo%20Bullpit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBHzK...olvo%20Bullpit (fireworks/explosions anybody?)

Like others said this is tame to what really goes on up there. They should have riot police up there this time and beat the cr** out of them. Police wouldn't need to fear being taken to court as these guys wouldn't have more than a couple of hundred dollars between them all.

Last edited by 5.4 GT; 06-10-2007 at 02:54 AM.
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 05:15 AM   #22
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Definately not somewhere I'd like to be myself, let alone with my partner.
I have a deep seated hatred of this sort of culture, and its not just at bathurst that it occurs.
A few years ago at Willowbank there was a 'run-what-ya-brung' drag meet that turned a little sour when a bunch of tossers decided it would be heaps of fun to start lighting fires in the paddocks around the strip and the racetrack. They got into the GoKart track and started messing with there. Im not sure what happened in response, but it was the last time I took my partner to a race meet of any type.
These sort of people just do not belong in the scene. If you love your cars and thats your passion, then great, enjoy your cars. But if all you're interested in, is creating havoc, then theres no place for you.
It just really ****es me off that these people seem to pop up anywhere. The one and only time I went to summernats ruined my whole view. The same idiots jumping on cars, grabbing at girls, guzzling VB's like its going out of fashion, fighting, lighting fires.
Its absurd to think organisers can screen every entrant to see if they're actually going to watch the race or not, but to be honest I find the alcohol bans to be quite light. A whole slab per person per day? Sure, for plenty of people thats not going to do much, especially spaced out over the whole day, but do you really need that much to enjoy yourself? You're at Bathurst! Beautiful countryside, With thundering V8 Supercars! The sound, the smell, the sights. Surely thats enough excitement without getting mashed?

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
broken_suave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 07:06 AM   #23
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Thats a tough old 05 Volvo..
See this guy going for a ride on the roof..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgk_K...elated&search=

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 07:49 AM   #24
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I had no idea it was so bad. After reading through here I can see a nasty weekend ahead.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:55 AM   #25
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

They don't do this type of crap at other V8 rounds, why let them do it at the biggest round of the year?
Good on the police. About time they cracked down.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:13 AM   #26
HOON69
Banned

its like summernats
if you cant handle beers boobs and burnouts then dont go
its abit like bathurst really.

throw drug users/dealers out
anyone assaulting or doing malicious damage

but beer rations on ppl,that F'd up.
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 08:45 AM   #27
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

I have been a motorsport fan for many many years, I have only ever once actually gone to an event though. (apart from archerfield speedway and willowbank) I went to the last round that was at Lakeside raceway. That day i vowed never to return to an event. The way the druken idiots that had camped out all weekend in thier trucks at the top of the hill overlooking the start/finish line carried on I was ashamed to call myself a motorsport fan.
They were just plain down right rude to everyone and everything and i recall this one red headed guy that was sunburt redder than his hair was, in a druken stupor everytime the girls were on the track he kept making indecent remarks and suggestions to them, not worrying about the familes that had kids there.
I think it is high time this kind of behaviour is bought into check!!!!!
Old 06-10-2007, 09:17 AM   #28
colossus
Secret Sleuth

Quote:
Not so! - That type of attitude is exactly what the government wants. APEC was a shining example of police given too much power and a free reign harassing innocent people going about their daily business - "papers, vwhere are your papers!!!"

I have been to Bathurst many times - taken the wife, the kids there is never an issue. Yes there are ****ed bogans everywhere unfortunately - but how is this any different to going to an NRL game or a concert. Personally I have never been hassled or had any sort of problem whatsoever. I would totally recommend taking young children and women...don't let this thread scare you. :
Old 06-10-2007, 10:13 AM   #29
bob^
LPS

Bogans, you can rely on them to ruin it for everyone.
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 12:17 PM   #30
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

anyone wanna start a book on how long till someone puts in a development application for a resort/motel complex on top of the hill? any money you like some developer has put some money forward to encourage the police presence this weekend