Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-12-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
HypnoTECH03
First Ford Owner

Default AU2 Forte, continous beep when ignition on!

hey guys,

for the last week my AU2 had been running like a bucket of fart. & a bit of an oil leak (looks like its coming from the seal behind the harmonic balancer)

when you put your foot down it'll lose power & by the sounds of it drop a cylinder.. so running on 5 cylinders under power.
i pulled out the air box, all airflow tubing, throttle body, spark plugs, ignition leads, pulled out the Injectors, radiator fan, & radiator, drained the oil & coolant, checked everything & all worked fine.

ended up putting it all back together and before puting the airflow back on i turned the ignition and im getting a continous beep coming from up under the dash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_DzVQeN_WU

and also the oil leak is now worse, i've sprayed degreaser & hosed or the bottom of the engine to see where the oil is coming from an looks like its soming from behind the harmonic balancer..

the car runs and sounds fine now, just the dash isnt working properly, & a large oil leak

Help Please!!!

CHeers

Ashley

Old 06-12-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Ashley, try posting this in the aufalcon.com section of the forums - we're all AUvians in there - you'll have much better chance of getting some helpful responses!!!
Old 06-12-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
HypnoTECH03
First Ford Owner

Cheers Dave!
Old 06-12-2009, 09:00 PM   #4
xrford
WAGONE

the oil leak is the front main seal its a pretty cheap part but replacing it with motor in car will be time consuming, as for the BEM warning tone are all the fluids and oil levels ok? if not it might be something to do with the safety restraints ie: the seatbelt pretensioners, or airbag might have a fault or the auctual safety restraints module itself might be shot or could be something completely different as theres quite a few things that can make that tone go off.
xrford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #5
HypnoTECH03
First Ford Owner

cheers Xr, ill have a look about the beep.

but as for the Leak, its not the seal behind the Harmonic balancer, sprayed Degreaser on the underside of the engine to clean it up and found out the leak is coming from above the Oil Sump seal on the left side but cant get in and have a look to find exactly where its coming from!..

if i could find a diagram or image of the front of the engine i could pin point the area its coming from!... looks like the car will just have to sit in the garage till i get a workshop manual Thursday to have a look!..

cheers
Old 07-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Diagram of the front cover and surrounding bits ...
Attached Images
File Type: gif I6Front.gif (142.2 KB, 138 views)

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 11:30 PM   #7
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypnoTECH03
cheers Xr, ill have a look about the beep.

but as for the Leak, its not the seal behind the Harmonic balancer, sprayed Degreaser on the underside of the engine to clean it up and found out the leak is coming from above the Oil Sump seal on the left side but cant get in and have a look to find exactly where its coming from!..

if i could find a diagram or image of the front of the engine i could pin point the area its coming from!... looks like the car will just have to sit in the garage till i get a workshop manual Thursday to have a look!..

cheers
the only thing i can think of up there is the timing chain tensioner. it is in behind the power steering pump tho, so a pain to get at, from that i have read on here it's a fairly common problem. i think the fix is to pull the retaining bolt and put some rtv silicon on it then put it back in...
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 11:59 PM   #8
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

to the beep pull the cluster out and unplug it fromt he back turn the car on to acc for 5 min then turn off plug back in and start the car if no beep put back together thats all i can think off
Old 13-12-2009, 09:04 PM   #9
HypnoTECH03
First Ford Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
the only thing i can think of up there is the timing chain tensioner. it is in behind the power steering pump tho, so a pain to get at, from that i have read on here it's a fairly common problem. i think the fix is to pull the retaining bolt and put some rtv silicon on it then put it back in...
Hey you were right Bodes-sh, after Degreasing & cleaning the whole engine, after taking out, radiator, water pump, Drive Belt and power steering unit i started the car and noticed it was coming from above where the water pump is, got underneath that car after starting it the second time and bingo, Timing Chain Tensioner..

in the mean time i've bought a new Water pump, fitted it, and re-filled the Coolant
i booked the car into the Mechanics for Tuesday, but being as impatient as i am not having a car, i've only had time to fiddle with the car!
so if i can find a way to repair/replace the timing chain tensioner i wont need to worry with the Mechanics! (anyone have an idea as to how much a new Timing chain Tensioner may cost??)

i am by no means a mechanic (nor do i have much Mechanical knowledge), but all the resources I've found on ford forums have helped me from Day 1 since i had the car!!

Cheers, and ill give your method a try Bodes-sh

Ash
Old 13-12-2009, 09:07 PM   #10
HypnoTECH03
First Ford Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
Diagram of the front cover and surrounding bits ...
Hey russelw where did you get that Diagram??
are there more for all other parts of the engine?

im really looking for all sorts of Exploded views of the AUII engine!

I own the Max Ellery Workshop Manual, which is missing so many diagrams/angles i really need!!

Cheers
Old 13-12-2009, 09:50 PM   #11
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this may help a bit... http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....t=timing+chain
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 11:36 AM   #12
HypnoTECH03
First Ford Owner

hey CHeers, i ended up buying a Timing Kit, (Timing chain, Chain guides, sump seal, Head seal, Timing Chain Tensioner, Gaskets & O-Ring) $92.20.. but maybe i should have checked the timing chain tensioner first cause it was only finger tight :P..

but oh well, i've got the kit might as well put it to good use, so the engine has no timing cover, no chain, no gears, no rocket cover, no running gear, looking pretty bare, ill try and get pice for those that might want them to reference them for future repairs/maintenance..

cheers again Bodes-sh
Old 17-12-2009, 12:11 PM   #13
HypnoTECH03
First Ford Owner

one query thought, does anyone have a Diagram of how the Camshaft Sprocket, crankshaft Sprocket & Idler shaft sprockets should be lined up, i have the Max Ellery Repair/Workshop manual, & ive noticed a few people on these forums stting it is wrong??? my obvious thought was lining camshaft sprocket to top dead centre & then line the 2 marked chain links with the timing mark! & the following 2 pulley's lined up with the other 2 chain links marked!!

ill upload images shortly as to what im talking about, to make it clearer
Old 17-12-2009, 03:40 PM   #14
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

At removal:

Time the engine to cylinder 1 TDC with two yellow chain links at the chains highest point and either side of the mark on the VCT sprocket.

Remove the oil supply line at VCT banjo bolt and remove thermostat housing attaching bolt that attaches VCT oil pipe to the thermostat housing.

Remove the VCT housing and solenoid assembly bolts and slide the assembly off the dowel pins.

Holding the sprocket and camshaft firmly in position, remove the centre VCT to camshaft bolt. (Tension for installation is 120Nm).

Remove the chain tensioner and guide bolts.

NOTE: From here on it is important to ensure that the timing of the engine is not altered as this will alter the repositioning process for the VCT unit.

Remove the rocker gear assembly

Remove the bottom VCT to sprocket bolt.

NOTE: DO NOT LOOSEN ANY OF THE OTHER BOLTS OR REMOVE THE VCT UNIT FROM THE SPROCKET AS THE POSITIONING OF THIS UNIT ON THE SPROCKET IS VITAL FOR ENGINE TIMING AND PERFORMANCE.

See diagrams below.

Cheers
Russ
Attached Images
File Type: gif AU_Camshaft_Timing.gif (24.2 KB, 131 views)
File Type: gif AU_Timing_Chain.gif (45.6 KB, 156 views)
File Type: gif AU_Timing_Chain_Dampers_VCT.gif (42.3 KB, 142 views)

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2009, 08:16 PM   #15
HypnoTECH03
First Ford Owner

well update on my progress...
finally got the Chain & gears lined up. got the timing cover on.. no one mentioned that you had to drop the Sump to get the timing cover on with the bottom guide..
but all gootd now.. Sump is back in place and about to put the new Timing Tensioner back in!