Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 26-03-2007, 12:14 PM   #1
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default new diff!!!

well, after seeing private9's ad for a swap with his lsd, i couldnt pass on the opportunity.
unfortunately i had to work on saturday, but i sent my old man to rip out private9's diff and put mine in, then the lsd went into my car on saturday night. i gotta say, what a huge difference going from a 3.08 to a 3.45. the car takes off way better, its heaps more responsive now.
only question is, when i D, and i plant my foot, it rev's out to 5500rpm before changing gears, is this normal? i changed the speedo gear so its the right one in my car.
Thanks

castek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

That's your cause there, changing the speedo gear.

If you get an XR6 ECU that'll solve the problem (as they were suited to the 3.45 diff). In the meantime you might want to revert to the 3.08 speedo gear and put up with the speedo being out.

When you change your diff, it doesn't effect the shifting behaviour of the box. For example, my box has the speedo gear for a 3.27 diff despite me having a 4.11 diff. It shifts perfectly normal, but if I were to get a much shorter speedo gear it would throw the shifts out.

Then again, if you're happy with it revving to 5500rpm, there's no need to swap ECUs :P
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tufel
well, after seeing private9's ad for a swap with his lsd, i couldnt pass on the opportunity.
unfortunately i had to work on saturday, but i sent my old man to rip out private9's diff and put mine in, then the lsd went into my car on saturday night. i gotta say, what a huge difference going from a 3.08 to a 3.45. the car takes off way better, its heaps more responsive now.
only question is, when i D, and i plant my foot, it rev's out to 5500rpm before changing gears, is this normal? i changed the speedo gear so its the right one in my car.
Thanks
You're dad's a legend man! Wish I could get my old man helping me out with this stuff!

He had the diff swap done in less than 3 hours, by himself in the driveway in the rain! What a trooper!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 03:49 PM   #4
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

whats a diff worth nowdays? a stock one, or lsd..? for an ed xr6
3:4:5 LSD diff
JMM Extractors
2.5" Stainless Steel highflow cat
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors
Lowered on Pedders Sports Ryders
....and a cherry scented airfreshner

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.
Hybrid34 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 03:55 PM   #5
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
You're dad's a legend man! Wish I could get my old man helping me out with this stuff!

He had the diff swap done in less than 3 hours, by himself in the driveway in the rain! What a trooper!
yeh he's a legend, i'd be stuffed without him...

i picked up a single spinner for $80 ages ago, but that was from a mates wrecking yard. this lsd cost me $400 and my diff
castek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 05:16 PM   #6
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid34
whats a diff worth nowdays? a stock one, or lsd..? for an ed xr6
I know that second hand EF-EL 3.45 LSD's usually go for $600-$700.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2007, 10:21 PM   #7
89 S-PACK

i picked up a ea lsd for 120.... disk to disk too

its nice and tight too. it was just the outer diff bearings that were getting a little tired, but hopefully i'll have it in the car soon. i havent had the time to put new bearings in it and jack mine up to change it all over.
im gonna do all of the bearings\seals cos what is the point of doing half of them. and down the track the inners stuff up? and stuff the center on me?

02 (VX) Holden Commodore Equipe series 2 S/wagon.
Manual, Lsd, Catback, Svsi lpg.
still a nice reliable upgrade from the old magna..
89 S-PACK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post