Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-02-2006, 09:22 PM   #1
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I haven't lost anymore of late ... shiftwork has kinda not helped really. Although my diet has changed to more fruit.

I have been trying to go for a walk in the middle of my shift though ... but it depends how busy i have been on shift ... nightshift is a big screw up with sleeping during the day as well ... exercise has dropped due to this.

Although the rest of the week will consist of courier work (no time for food breaks) and a lot of walking as well after work. Better rest and better eating habits as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 05:26 PM   #2
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I've been struggling to get my weight down for 2 years. Having previously been on a heavy training program for years through sport, (4 days gym a week for 90mins including cardio and weights plus training and game, playing weight was 90-95 kilo), I had balooned substantially when injury and old age forced me to give it away 2 years ago, turning what bulk I had into 15+ kilo of blubber. This was made worse because I had also become sick of the years of training in early hours of the morning (4.30am) before going to work and I couldn't find the motivation to keep doing it. I went back to the gym late last year to 30 mins of cardio and was also dieting, but wasn't getting anywhere, although the weight stabilised. Main problem for me was, even though I was eating correctly, I really became addicted to Diet Coke/ Pepsi Max. It wasn't till I gave those up totally, that the weight just seems to be falling off on a average of a kilo a week. It's motivated me enough that I'm back at the gym 5 days a week, but only for 40 mins cardio and 20 mins of light weights plus an evening walk before dinner. My goal is to drop 25 kilo, so my weight is down to somewhere between 80-85 kilo. So far in the last couple of months, I've come down from 105 to 98.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 07:05 PM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Good work Kingy ... so getting rid of the Diet Coke/Pepsi Max made a huge difference.
Interesting to know ... I am trying to give up soft drink ... well i pretty much have ... just the odd ocassion I'll have a can ... nothing in the way of Coke/Pepsi (not even the sugar free stuff).

I need to drink more water though ... even though i hate it ... i prefer something with some flavour in it.

But nevertheless .. good work with the weight loss.
Old 26-02-2006, 03:07 PM   #4
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Thanks. I honestly wouldn't have thought just giving up the diet fizzy, would've made that much difference.
I know what you mean about the water. Convincing yourself to drink 2lts of plain water a day can be hard, especially during winter. But it does work.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2006, 11:22 PM   #5
XR6Gal
Just Super Happy now :)

I've now lost 6.9kgs which i'm pretty happy about, only 3.1 to go to my first goal Which I'm hoping to do by my birthday in just over 3 weeks.

PhantomBA XR6 (Sold), now a VW owner (don't hold it against me )

& also a CM Valiant Wagon, gotta love the old Val's
see her progress here
NOW SOLD :( but now have a
Honda CBR250 Motorbike
XR6Gal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 05:46 PM   #6
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Gal
I've now lost 6.9kgs which i'm pretty happy about, only 3.1 to go to my first goal Which I'm hoping to do by my birthday in just over 3 weeks.
Well done Kristy! You'll beat the goal by then for sure.

My progress has slowed, im not losing weight, but im losing mass, which is still ok. Shin splints don't help!
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2006, 09:20 AM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

How come you have shin splints on????

I have dropped down to 88 now from 89kg (originally though the first 5-6kg came off easy as though) ... it's hard when doing shiftwork though ... but getting there slowly
Old 04-03-2006, 05:43 PM   #8
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Shin splints are a running injury, probably caused by running on the concrete paths too much. They'll go away, i've just got to cycle more.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:54 PM   #9
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by max^power
Shin splints are a running injury, probably caused by running on the concrete paths too much. They'll go away, i've just got to cycle more.
Also can be caused by shoes that do not cater correctly to your running style and pronation (spelling?) which is the roll of your foot as it contacts the surface. Having a straight, mild curve or curved shoe is a requirement. See a fitness store that actually analyses this before they sell you a shoe and try getting back into running again. You will find a significant reduction if you have not done this in the past.

If you continue to get shin splits from running, a trainer could help improve your stride if you are serious otherwise perhaps a different form of exercise.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:07 PM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I knew running was bad for you.
Hence why I prefer walking or cycling.
hee hee.

Hope you don't have to wear the splints long ... is it painful walking???
Old 05-03-2006, 05:18 PM   #11
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
I knew running was bad for you.
Hence why I prefer walking or cycling.
hee hee.

Hope you don't have to wear the splints long ... is it painful walking???
They aren't a device... they are a symptom. It is pain where your shins become hyper sensitive to regular touch but also in the impact of running (and in extreme cases walking).
Old 05-03-2006, 05:58 PM   #12
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Ahhhh ... I thought it was a case of hairline fractures ... needing splints to be worn ... ahahahaha .... well there you go .... you learn something new everyday.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:09 PM   #13
XR6Gal

Pretty happy... have now lost 7.5kgs Only 2.5kgs to go.

see her progress here
Honda CBR250 Motorbike
Old 06-03-2006, 09:51 PM   #14
max^power
Formerly au^ute

you're right parawolf, you know alot about it! I'm almost at the extreme stage, as walking at times is painful. alot of the time, a decent stretch can help relieve the pain during a run.

My sister has plenty of contacts in the industry, so shes going to help me get some proper footwear. These Nike shoes have no support, we worked this out this evening.

Well done Kristy! wish i could say i've lost more, but i havn't!! me be my diet :P
Old 06-03-2006, 10:00 PM   #15
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by max^power
you're right parawolf, you know alot about it! I'm almost at the extreme stage, as walking at times is painful. alot of the time, a decent stretch can help relieve the pain during a run.

My sister has plenty of contacts in the industry, so shes going to help me get some proper footwear. These Nike shoes have no support, we worked this out this evening.

Well done Kristy! wish i could say i've lost more, but i havn't!! me be my diet :P
I used to do a fair amount of athletics training when I was younger - since then I have sworn on New Balance runners - cured my splints I suffered from during training. I have heard of people having similar results changing to Brooks as well - however they were way too expensive back in the day for me as i would wear through a set of runners in about 2 months.

Nike are just a name - their products are fairly useless in my experience. This includes some of their tops as they just don't allow you to sweat and breathe, worse than wearing pure cotton.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:26 PM   #16
max^power
Formerly au^ute

just so happens we're going to the new balance factory outlet on the weekend, so i'll pick up a couple of pairs there.
Old 13-03-2006, 04:05 PM   #17
XR6Gal

I've now lost 8.7kgs, not bad going for just over a week since my last weigh in. Only 1.3kgs to go & I've got 2 weeks to loose it, easy done

see her progress here
Honda CBR250 Motorbike
Old 13-03-2006, 08:03 PM   #18
Tornado
AKA MYTE8

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Gal
I've now lost 8.7kgs, not bad going for just over a week since my last weigh in. Only 1.3kgs to go & I've got 2 weeks to loose it, easy done
The last few kilos are the hardest to loose.
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 11:07 PM   #19
XR6Gal

I have another 5kgs to go after I've reached the 10kg mark, its just my first goal.

see her progress here
Honda CBR250 Motorbike
Old 13-03-2006, 11:17 PM   #20
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Well done Kristy. I'm sure you'll manage the last few easy enough.

Now i've got my new shoes ill hope that my injuries can clear up.
Old 14-03-2006, 11:56 AM   #21
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Just started exercising again, and the scales I have ИИИИin lie.

It said that I gained 5kg in a week. Then this morning, went for a 5km walk, and it said I put on another .8 of a kilo. Jeebus Christ...
Old 16-03-2006, 09:14 AM   #22
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Sounds like you are gaining muscle ... I found when doing a lot of manual labour that I put weight on as I was getting hungrier ... easting more ... but turning into muscle ... not fat.

Sounds like you are doing the same thing.
Old 16-03-2006, 09:18 AM   #23
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

I can eat all day and not put on 1kg. I eat and eat and eat. Usually for dinner ill eat say a whole pizza and more food, desert, i have a big breakfast, 2 pies and 2 sausage rolls for lunch, and lots of other stuff in between. Im stuck on 84 kgs, nothing and i mean NOTHING can make me put on weight. Im pretty tempted to just go and eat a tub of lard.
Old 16-03-2006, 09:22 AM   #24
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_Phill
I can eat all day and not put on 1kg. I eat and eat and eat. Usually for dinner ill eat say a whole pizza and more food, desert, i have a big breakfast, 2 pies and 2 sausage rolls for lunch, and lots of other stuff in between. Im stuck on 84 kgs, nothing and i mean NOTHING can make me put on weight. Im pretty tempted to just go and eat a tub of lard.
Funny thing was I used to be the same ... then I met my fiancee 3 years ago ... and I got NIIIIIICE home-cooked meals everynight ... and then I stacked on the weight. I think it was contentment at the same time as well. LOL.

When I was living on my own just eating junk food .... I lost weight ... might be due to the fact there was no nutrition in it at all.

I was just over 70kg at the time ... and couldn't add any weight ... then I met Bec ... and in just over 2.5 years I put on 25kg (95kg) ... now I am down to 88kg ... and slowly dropping now.
Old 16-03-2006, 09:06 PM   #25
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Funny thing was I used to be the same ... then I met my fiancee 3 years ago ... and I got NIIIIIICE home-cooked meals everynight ... and then I stacked on the weight. I think it was contentment at the same time as well. LOL.

When I was living on my own just eating junk food .... I lost weight ... might be due to the fact there was no nutrition in it at all.

I was just over 70kg at the time ... and couldn't add any weight ... then I met Bec ... and in just over 2.5 years I put on 25kg (95kg) ... now I am down to 88kg ... and slowly dropping now.
What a coincidence, I'm the same, since I meet my lovely G'F I to have gone from 70kg to 91kg from good home cooked meal's, lot's off steamed vegies and chicken, she sure know's how to cook a good meal, I never ate vegies untill I meet her, now I crave them.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 09:03 PM   #26
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Yeah but your eating crap, if you want to put weight on you have to eat a balanced diet, pizza, pies and sausage roll's are not going to help.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 08:24 PM   #27
vino3o2
owning V8=having no $$$

Quote:
Sounds like you have a fast metabolism Phill....Do you lift weights? I garentee someone with a fast metabolsm like yourself will put on some good size if you lift right and eat right.....

The Reality: 13.1 @ 106mph.... The Goal: somehow get into the 12s!!! :sm_headba

www.qldsuperkart.org
vino3o2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 11:46 AM   #28
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Sounds like you are gaining muscle ... I found when doing a lot of manual labour that I put weight on as I was getting hungrier ... easting more ... but turning into muscle ... not fat.

Sounds like you are doing the same thing.
Yeah, I'm sore all over, and was so stuffed when I woke up this morning that I just could not be bothered doing anything.

I'm resting myself today and getting back into tomorrow.
Old 16-03-2006, 09:23 AM   #29
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

But she does cook for me everynight, most nights its some pasta + chicken thing, and MAYBE ill gain a kg or 2, but ill lose it a day later.
Old 17-03-2006, 09:03 AM   #30
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Hahahahaha ... funny what GF's can do huh ...
I'm lucky ... the diet is working now cos Bec wants to fit in her wedding dress ... so she is sticking to the diet ... and I eat the portions she gives me ...

I have changed my eating habits though ... and it's working quite well too.