Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > Eurofordclub.com > EuroFordClub.com

EuroFordClub.com European Ford Owners Club of Australia forum

Old 20-02-2007, 08:45 PM   #1
bestracing

Default Best Racing to compete in Production Touring Car Championship.

Best Racing would like to announce that this year we will be competing in the Australian Production Touring Car Championship . Darren will be competing in the ST170 in Class C against makes such as Toyota, Proton's, Hyundai's and Citroen. The PTCC has a large field of competitors for season 2007, check out there website at : http://www.ptcc.net.au

The Production Touring Car Championship (PTCC) is conducted over eight meetings.
Rd 1 24-25th February Wakefield Park
Rd 2 28-29th April Winton Raceway
Rd 3 16-17th June Queensland Raceway
Rd 4 14-15th July Adelaide International Raceway
Rd 5 25-26th August Winton Raceway
Rd 6 29-30th September Calder Park
Rd 7 27-28th October Wakefield Park
Rd 8 24-25 November Oran Park

The ST170 after last season has had body repairs and repainted, going to the signwriter tomorrow for fitting of new stripes, numbers and panels. Darren, Pete and Frank will be heading off to Goulburn early Friday ready to compete in the first round at Wakefield this weekend. After this race meeting the team plan to do some testing and development work in preparation for next round at our home track.

Unfortunately I will not be attending this weekend as it is our daughters first go kart meeting for the season. Ellexandra (age 7) is competing in the midgets at Albury / Wodonga so I will need to support her.

If anyone is at any of the PTCC meetings make sure you come and say hello, we always love to see Euroford members.

Regards Treena

bestracing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 09:03 PM   #2
nitroman
nitroman

Excuse my ignorance, but what is an ST170?
GASGAS 400 enduro.
Honda hr192 mower
nitroman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 09:11 PM   #3
photn
AFF Post NAZI

lol....Its a Ford LR focus (orignal model) which has 170BHP which equats to 127kw....the focus only normally had 94kw. so it was a big step up....

Its essentially the Sports model for the original Focus. just like the XR5T is for the focus now.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 09:14 PM   #4
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestracing
Best Racing would like to announce that this year we will be competing in the Australian Production Touring Car Championship . Darren will be competing in the ST170 in Class C against makes such as Toyota, Proton's, Hyundai's and Citroen. The PTCC has a large field of competitors for season 2007, check out there website at : http://www.ptcc.net.au

The Production Touring Car Championship (PTCC) is conducted over eight meetings.
Rd 1 24-25th February Wakefield Park
Rd 2 28-29th April Winton Raceway
Rd 3 16-17th June Queensland Raceway
Rd 4 14-15th July Adelaide International Raceway
Rd 5 25-26th August Winton Raceway
Rd 6 29-30th September Calder Park
Rd 7 27-28th October Wakefield Park
Rd 8 24-25 November Oran Park

The ST170 after last season has had body repairs and repainted, going to the signwriter tomorrow for fitting of new stripes, numbers and panels. Darren, Pete and Frank will be heading off to Goulburn early Friday ready to compete in the first round at Wakefield this weekend. After this race meeting the team plan to do some testing and development work in preparation for next round at our home track.

Unfortunately I will not be attending this weekend as it is our daughters first go kart meeting for the season. Ellexandra (age 7) is competing in the midgets at Albury / Wodonga so I will need to support her.

If anyone is at any of the PTCC meetings make sure you come and say hello, we always love to see Euroford members.

Regards Treena
ohh im gonna make a really big effort to come to as many as i can. this will be great...would you know of any track days lol that we may join into lol hahahah

i hope the ST170 gives it to them again this year

Old 21-02-2007, 12:03 AM   #5
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
the focus only normally had 94kw.
mine has 96kW. you were 2kW off....not good enough.

I will hopefully make it to all 3 of the rounds in victoria. good luck guys

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 12:23 AM   #6
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Good luck to the team at Best Racing. I will try make it down to the oran park round
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 10:22 AM   #7
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All the best to everyone at Best Racing for this 2007 Season.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 02:34 PM   #8
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi treena,

Just wondering why you guys have stepped away from the pcaa? Thought you would have taken the opportunity to run in the Bathurst 12 Hour...although if your budget is anything like mine I can understand the strain it would cause!

All the best with your 2007 ptcc campaign though, hopefully our category will joining in with some of the AMRS rounds, so ill be sure to come and say gday

cheers,
dave
Old 21-02-2007, 04:35 PM   #9
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

I'm heading down to Wakefield Park most likely Saturday morning so I'll try and catch up with the Team Saturday afternoon and will definitely be there for the racing on Sunday representing the Eurofordclub.

Darren's first run with the PTCC was successful and certainly "turned some heads" so here's hoping for a successful 2007.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2007, 09:26 PM   #10
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

I'll definitely try to make the Sydney round, good luck in the new series guys.

Sorry you won't be at the Bathurst 12Hr, but gotta chase the fun, I understand!

Timmeh
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2007, 11:46 PM   #11
bestracing

Default Best Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickford2001
Hi treena,

Just wondering why you guys have stepped away from the pcaa? Thought you would have taken the opportunity to run in the Bathurst 12 Hour...although if your budget is anything like mine I can understand the strain it would cause!

All the best with your 2007 ptcc campaign though, hopefully our category will joining in with some of the AMRS rounds, so ill be sure to come and say gday

cheers,
dave
Hi Dave,

Why did we leave PCAA? It was a very difficult decision, we loved running in PCAA, but the series has become very expensive, their is a lack of competitors and I really dont know if the series will survive ( I hope it does!) and we had just lost our enthusiasm for the series. Plus parity was not distributed evenly, we were carrying lead (weight) and rev limit restrictions.

Why PTCC? More variety of makes, different competitors to race / challange, new series championship to win!

Bathurst? We would of loved to run Bathurst 12 hour, Darren loves racing at Bathurst. However getting parts for the focus was an issue, lack of preparation time for Bathurst and then the tightness of the next rounds which would of made it very difficult to make any repairs ready for the remainder of the season. Yes expense is another factor, it would of cost us at the minimum (entry, parts, travel, accom, etc) $ 30,000 +

A major contributing factor was Ford. We approached Ford Australia they were not even interested in the fact that we had won the championship let alone that a we drove a focus, left several messages, but they never returned our call....... or responded to our written proposals. We had been talking to Motorsport Manager Ray Price.

Treena
Old 23-02-2007, 06:52 PM   #12
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOCUSonTHIS
mine has 96kW. you were 2kW off....not good enough.
mmmmmmmmmmmm. Your car only sounds like 94kW Adam. ROFL :evil_laug
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2007, 09:28 PM   #13
bestracing

Default Reports from Wakefield

Spoke to Darren this evening, took the Focus for a run today. Was happy with the set up and made no changes, all ready for tomorrow's sessions.

Saturday 's schedule is:
Practise 10.10am & Qualifying Session at 1.50pm

Sunday's schedule is:
Race 1 - 9.15am
Race 2 - 11.05am
Race 3 - 2.20pm

Treena
Old 25-02-2007, 09:49 AM   #14
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Shame that Ford don't seem to care.

Can't wait to hear how it all goes, keep us posted!

Timmeh
Old 25-02-2007, 09:01 PM   #15
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Well, the weekend resultwere mixed. Race 1, 1st in Class but on the start line for Race 2 a driveshaft broke and unfortunately resulted in a DNF. After a lot of work (gross misunderstatement)
from Darren, Frank and Pete to try and ready the ST170 for Race 3 time was against them. After the DNF in Race 2 the car was returned to the garage and it was discovered that the power steering was damaged due to the driveshaft failure and a persistent leak could not be fixed and it resulted in a DNS for Race 3.

Myself and the Team were disappointed but there's always the next Round.
BTW Treena was sorely missed as she was taking care of her Daughter's endeavours with her karting.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Old 25-02-2007, 09:07 PM   #16
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Unlucky for the team, but great first race result. Haven't they had driveshaft problems before? Where are they breaking, out of curiousity?

All the best to the team for Round Two!

Timmeh
Old 26-02-2007, 09:56 AM   #17
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie
Well, the weekend resultwere mixed. Race 1, 1st in Class but on the start line for Race 2 a driveshaft broke and unfortunately resulted in a DNF. After a lot of work (gross misunderstatement)
from Darren, Frank and Pete to try and ready the ST170 for Race 3 time was against them. After the DNF in Race 2 the car was returned to the garage and it was discovered that the power steering was damaged due to the driveshaft failure and a persistent leak could not be fixed and it resulted in a DNS for Race 3.

Myself and the Team were disappointed but there's always the next Round.
BTW Treena was sorely missed as she was taking care of her Daughter's endeavours with her karting.
thats some tough luck guys, can understand your disappointment - im sure you guys will bounce back though for round 2.

are you allowed to do something about improving the driveshafts or is that a no-no because of the "production car" format?
Old 27-02-2007, 12:18 AM   #18
bestracing

Default Wakefield Rd 1 Results

Yes the weekend was tough! The team were dissappointed in the weekends results, however we still got points for the round and can only hope things will be better next round. Looking forward to Round 2 as it is at Winton Raceway (home track!) we have not raced at Winton for many years, so are excited about racing at home and no travel.

The Production car rules restrict what we can do to the driveshafts, replacements parts need to be the same as original. Our problem was the driveshaft snapped in 1/2. The team mangaged to repair the driveshaft only to discover that the power steering fluid was 1/2 of what it should of been, on further investigation found we had a broken seal and fractured brake pipe.

Our daughter "Ellexandra" had a good 1st meeting go karting in the midgets class, she came 5th overall for the weekend. Ellexandra is the only girl competing in the midgets class and was very proud of herself when she beat some of the boys!

Treena
Old 27-02-2007, 07:08 AM   #19
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Excellent news about Ellexandra!

Is there a website we can visit to check the overall standings of the new series, and maybe get photos?

Timmeh!
Old 27-02-2007, 10:04 AM   #20
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

where is your daughter racing karts treena?

tim the website is: www.amrs.net.au but i dont think it has been updated yet
Old 27-02-2007, 03:00 PM   #21
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

This site will get you right to the Category that Best Racing is entered in.

ptcc.net.au

Hope this helps.
Fast Eddie.

Old 27-02-2007, 10:57 PM   #22
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Cheers guys.
Old 27-02-2007, 11:26 PM   #23
bestracing

Our daughter Ellexandra is a member of the Albury / Wodonga go kart club, she has only been racing since June 2006 (5 meetings in total), this year we plan to compete in club meetings and towards the end of the season look at going to other tracks once she gets her confidence up. Our son Zakkary (who is just 5) also gets out in the kart but cannot offically race til age 7, he is amazing in what he already has accomplished and turns alot of heads, he is as quick as his sister already, so I think we will be racing for awhile.

Update on the focus:
The car has been pulled apart, engine is out! We have decided whilst everything is in bits, to take the opportunity to replace the clutch, check the engine, replace driveshafts and powersteering and anything else that we find.

Photos of the focus & points update:
Check the www.ptcc.net.au website.
They also have regular news from teams, driver profiles, there is also a forum.

Treena
Old 28-02-2007, 12:28 AM   #24
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Just a quick question. On the specs page on the PTCC side it states the ST170 as having 278mm front and 260mm rear brakes but didn't the ST170 come with 300m front and 280mm rears?
Old 28-02-2007, 10:44 PM   #25
bestracing

Well about the only thing that is right on car specs on the PTCC site is the suspension, everything else is not accurate. Yes the ST170 does come with 300 front and 280 rears.
Old 27-03-2007, 05:10 PM   #26
photn
AFF Post NAZI

how is the Best racing team going. any more news on there ventures?

Old 28-03-2007, 02:42 PM   #27
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Their next races are a Winton, Victoria 28/29th of April.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:48 AM   #28
bestracing

Default Update on Best Racing

Hi Everyone,

Just thought Id drop you a line and let you know that the car is all back together, has a new clutch, driveshafts replaced new brakes and power steering fixed. Darren and Frank are taking the car for a test drive this afternoon. The only thing left to do is the car needs a tune.

We have entered the next round of PTCC which is at Winton Raceway, 28 and 29th April, which unfortunately clashes again with Ellexandra's go karting meeting, at least this event I'll be there Saturday.

Ellexandra is very excited about her next meeting as her new Ax9 arrow cart arrives next week, so she is hoping to stir up the boys again. Next weekend she is attending a development clinic which assists the kids with cart set up and driving techniques. Zakkary (age 5 and cannot race til he is 7) is very pleased as he will be getting Ellexandra's old go kart and getting some lap practice.

Cheers Treena