Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > Eurofordclub.com > EuroFordClub.com

EuroFordClub.com European Ford Owners Club of Australia forum

Old 20-09-2007, 07:21 PM   #1
4orce
Lead Foot

Default Performance Help with 2006 Focus Zetec

Hi, in July bought a 2006 Focus Zetec, Saphire Black (9000k on the clock at the time I bought it, 17000k now). The car replaced a 2001 Laser SR2 which was lightly tricked by Ford to run in the 2002 Clipsal Celebrity race - mind you, they won't tell me what they did but it was MUCH more powerful than the Focus.

I like the Focus and am surprised that there seems to be so few (none around here) that have been done up. That seems to be the problem when I ask for info "haven't been asked about one of them" or "never done one before". I have already put a set of Kings lowered springs and a set of 18"x7.5" rim on it. I am getting really frustrated though as I can't seem to be able to get any info or help with getting some extra grunt out of the motor. Down low it is gutless with the motor not really starting to work until 3500rpm. It revs quite well but just lacks the zip I would have expected, on paper it has 9 more kw than the Laser, more torque and even though it's heavier, the power to weight is still better on paper.

Can someone please tell me what I can do to get this baby moving a little better. I am tring to achieve more torque which will start to work from about 2500rpm rather than 3500. I come from a motor racing background and have had the car on the track to test the handling - fantastic since changing the springs!!!

Ford seem to think all is okay but it just hasn't got the zing I would have thought. BTW the XR5 was outside my budget!!!...

Thanks in advance...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Focus.jpg (82.7 KB, 67 views)
4orce is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 07:47 PM   #2
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Hey mate....

Well Firstly all i can suggest is a Full Exhaust system, a CAI and a Dreamscience for a good old custom tune.

After that if your still looking for more power (which i dont doubt you would be) get a set of Crow cams for the Duratec (about 600) and once again tune it.

There is a Cosworth Intake manifold available at about $1000.

You can get it ported and polished CNC i think the term is.. (not sure on that one, havent read into it much)

Apart From that.. http://www.focussport.com/turbocharger.htm you could always go Forced Induction.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 07:55 PM   #3
4orce
Lead Foot

Thanks for your quick reply!

Where do I get a hold of the full exhaust? I went to Miami Exhausts here on the Gold Coast and Ian told me that there were no extractors available in Australia (back to this issue of no one seeming to know anything). When I tried to email the states they said that I had the MkII and they couldn't help with anything as they only had the MkI? The other 2 things you mentioned - a CAI and a Dreamscience - what are these and where can I get a hold of them?

I'm afraid that it's been a long time since I've been involved in the modifying of cars. My other car is a BA XR8 which has been tickled with SS cold air, throttle body, suspension and Edit computer mods (about 330kw). My wife drives that one, I like the little Focus am quite impressed with it's handling. It's the car we take away as the XR is WAY to heavy on juice...

Some more info would be great... I don't want to do too much damage to my warranty just yet but I know there will be some...
Old 20-09-2007, 08:53 PM   #4
photn
AFF Post NAZI

No worries mate.

For the Dreamscience you want to contact Jared @ http://dreamscience.eu/flashtuning/

For the Extractors hit up www.european-parts.net . You can change the prices into AUS on the left hand side down the bottome. Its a drop down menu.

They should have what your after. and the americans where correct. your after the MK2 stuff. so you should find like intake stuff, Full Exhaust system and what not.

They ship to aus and it isnt tooo bad. the guy doesn know english and many people here swear by that site as its such good value for money.

I reckon your best bet would be a Full Exhaust system, a Cold Air Intake Made by BMC a Dreamscience Tune and then take it from there... should give you a good power increase and feel ALOT more sportier.

Old 21-09-2007, 01:47 AM   #5
amlohac

Dont get discouraged but the whole "we dont know anything about the focus" or "focus? you mean falcon?" line. It all comes down to money and persistence. You can find what you're looking for trust me. It took me 3 years to get my focus to the way i wanted it basically because noone had the parts, had no bloody idea, were to damn lazy to find out for me, or thought the focus was a "girls car".

Wicked rims btw
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2007, 09:23 PM   #6
4orce
Lead Foot

Thanks for your help, I have started to try and source info from your leads, now it's just a wait and see as to what they have to say. Has anyone fad anything to do with the www.ffoc.co.uk? I have tried on a couple of occasions to get info from them but us Aussies mustn't be worth an answer, or certainly I don't seem to get one...

Anyway, thanks again, i may be a pain for a while but am looking to try and learn as much as possible so I don't make mistakes...

Thanks.
Old 21-09-2007, 10:05 PM   #7
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

I find the ffoc.uk to be excellent, but you probably need to search rather than ask questions that have been asked a thousand times.

It's also a much better site if you join, as you get access to more technically useful areas. (About 20 bucks I think from memory)
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 03:22 AM   #8
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4orce

Can someone please tell me what I can do to get this baby moving a little better. I am tring to achieve more torque which will start to work from about 2500rpm rather than 3500. I come from a motor racing background and have had the car on the track to test the handling - fantastic since changing the springs!!!
Thanks in advance...
Good work on the spring and rims.

Firstly how far do you want to go? How much do you want to spend?

Unfortunatly, with the Duratec being an oversquare engine, its going to produce more power high up but less torque low down. From what I;ve read the intake manifold has butterfly runners that change the intake air velocity with varience of RPM, if it didn;t have this then even less torque. Plus the fact the 323 is a bit lighter than the Foc.

With getting things, especially engine/exhaust related, ask for Mazda 3, things like some suspension and hub are different tho.

Free mods -
- Advance the engine spark timing (free to do, decreases fuel economy slightly, needs 95 oct)
- Lower airbox removal (free again)
- Weight saving
- Reset ECU and drive around hard.

Cheap mods -
- Catback exhaust (round 400 in mild steel)
- Cold air piping into the airbox from front air dam
- Replace airfilter (even with standard cotton or paper one, Ford only replace this every 45,000 or 60,000, can't remember)
- Throttle body grounding (more responsiveness, not so much more power)

Pricy mods -
- X-force full exhaust
- Some sort of high flow air filtration system
- Throttle body polish

All out mods -
- Cosworth gear
- Cams, headwork etc with Flash tuning
- Turbo kits

Unlike the turbo models, its not worth getting a generic custom tune for NA, and if you have crazy cosworth N/A stuff bolted on you'll want to get custom dyno tuning anyways.

Also keep in mind with the turbo kit, theres been reports from the Mazda 3 guys that the US aftermarket kits foul on the steering column arm, due to LHD vs RHD. Also with the 2.0 your limited to around 9psi before forgies are needed. But 9psi can get you a lot of power depending on your air cooling system (I sound like Roger Cordia)

Cheers,
Chris

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 09:47 AM   #9
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Roger Cordia = Ftw Lol

Old 27-09-2007, 04:35 PM   #10
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Always going to be hard to get power out of a naturally aspirated engine which wasnt really deisgned to make a heap of power.

From what i hear, even the Mazda 3 SP23 with the 2.3 litre isnt all that impressive.

You will find exhaust will probably make it sound and 'feel' faster or 'more free revving', but in reality it wont make much of a difference you will still get blown away by old humpy 5 litre bomodoores.

Unless you go all out, its not going to make a huge difference, unfortunately.

You may have to weigh up if its worth it at all?
Get a fiesta ST bit lighter.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 05:55 PM   #11
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx
Always going to be hard to get power out of a naturally aspirated engine which wasnt really deisgned to make a heap of power.
The Duratec is just about the best 2L N/A engine to get power from. Massive and well designed valves and ports from the factory give is great breathability. The respond great to mods.
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 11:48 AM   #12
4orce
Lead Foot

Well, I've done the K&N replacement cartridge and it did definitely make a difference. The power is now coming on a little lower in the rev range. I haven't had much success from these Dream Science guys, they just don't seem to want to answer my emails and I just can't afford to just buy a unit on chance, so I am after their expertise to tell me the exact unit to get. As mentioned the CAT back system I think gave me more noise than grunt, but at least it sound the part now ;-) I think I really need to have the extractors and high flow cat to get the air out of the motor first.

As far as power from normally aspirated, I have heard VERY good things about the Duratec motor where they are getting obscene amounts of horsepower in Europe and no turbo. At this stage I just want it to be able to pull up hills with a few people in the car without having to change down 2-3 gears, so I guess an increase in torque as opposed to out and out HP.

Anyway, thanks for all of your feedback, I do appreciate it and am taking all of your suggestions on board...

BTW as far as a Fiesta goes, great little car, XR4 looks a treat but just a little small for me... ;-) Reminds me a little too much or my superkart but sharing the racetrack with B doubles...