Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
J_Putz

Default Using rental bond

I will begin by saying I look after the properties I rent better than any tenant.
But I dont need to justify myself to anyone on a forum.

I remember being given the advice once that I should not pay the rent for the last month or however long the bond covers. The plan would be to have the bond amount soaked up to cover the remaining rent = real estate cant rip me off on my bond refund when I vacate.

Has anyone tried this before and if so how did it go?
If you had your time again would you do the same?
Did you notify the Real Estate of your intention of having the bond cover rent? How did you go about it?

This will be the last time I ever rent so I couldn't care less about a reference from the Real Estate.

And dont get me started on their many shortcomings and even complete failings.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
KPCresta
Starter Motor

Default Re: Using rental bond

If you can get away with it I dont see why not. But I would only do that if I was absolutely 100% certain that no repairs will need to be carried out that are normally covered by the bond.

Some property managers can be an absolute *** and be rather **** about minor things when it comes to returning your bond so you have a valid point.

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 12-11-2011 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Language
Old 12-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Putz
I will begin by saying I look after the properties I rent better than any tenant.
LOL,up yourself much? do you know every other tenant out there do you?

Quote:
But I dont need to justify myself to anyone on a forum.
but your willing to ask for advice from said people on a forum....

if your really such a perfect tenant the bond wont be an issue.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:47 PM   #4
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you're renting, and worried about bond to start with you'd have pics to clarify the before and afters.
if you were my tenant i'd be wanting rent, then inspecting, then shaking hands< refunding etc.
reef green xwgt falcon
lime green HT GTS Monaro 308 4 speed
reef green ZC Fairlane black interior
Old 12-11-2011, 11:03 PM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Just play by the rules and you will be fine. You can question the fact they have kept money as well. If you are in the right all bond is returned.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:07 PM   #6
J_Putz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a

Thanks for that gem there buddy.
Unfortunately you answered the question nobody asked.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:14 PM   #7
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

This thread has come at an ironic time.....

I'm sitting in a Bathurst hotel after cleaning a villa I own here. I'm up for a few grand and 3 lost weekends ..... Yet my agent must go to tribunal caus the tenant wants their $400 bond back. I need new paint, carpet, and I don't know what will remove the stench but caus they questioned it I need to supply my carpet receipt even though the pictures are shocking.

Go figure..........
Old 12-11-2011, 11:17 PM   #8
J_Putz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a

LOL,up yourself much? do you know every other property manager out there do you?
Old 12-11-2011, 11:17 PM   #9
Cúl-Báire

I am not sure you are legally able to "withhold rent" without some kind of grounds (i.e. critical repairs, breach, etc...).

However the Tennants Union of Victoria has previously stated to myself that if you are breaking a lease it's in your interest to "withhold rent" until the agent re-lets the property. This avoids a situation where you are continuing to pay rent on a vacnant property that the agent doesnt care about because the rent is still being paid.

If you really worried about your bond, fill in absolutely everything on the entry condition report, take photos and submit the entry condition report in accordance with the relevent states' Tenancy ACT; on leaving the property do the same fill in everything on the exit condition report, take photos again this document needs to be submitted on accordance with the relevent states' Tenancy ACT.

This will protect yourself; and if the real estate agent misses their "time bar" leaves them liable for the costs of anything that needs doing on your behalf. Document everything, including confirming any conversations had by email; if it goes to **** you can fall back on this later.

It also pays to know what the agents and landlords obligations under the Tenancy ACT are as well - if they don't stick to these be the first to pull them up.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:22 PM   #10
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Let's quit the criticizing of each other and discuss the topic not each other. The next person that posts an insulting post will receive a warning.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:23 PM   #11
The Monty
Just slidin'

Dont say its the last time you will ever rent. I bought a house, and left my old real estate in a nasty way (house was perfect, real estate was a real piece of work), and they blacklisted us, not to our knowledge. Attempted to move closer to work, and rent our house out, and applied for rent. only to find out we couldnt. Anywho, after going to court to get ourselves cleared, I realised, if I wasnt so pigheaded, and handled myself better, I wouldnt have been in that predicament.
Just pay out your rent ffs, if you have nothing to worry about, youll get it back.
Think about if you had tenants in that you didnt know from a bar of soap who said, Im leaving in 4 weeks, not paying rent until then, and you wont have any bond to cover anything when I leave.
Im pretty sure youd have wanted them to keep paying the rent. Dont be cheap.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:25 PM   #12
J_Putz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva

I'm sitting in a Bathurst hotel after cleaning a villa I own here. I'm up for a few grand and 3 lost weekends ..... Yet my agent must go to tribunal caus the tenant wants their $400 bond back. I need new paint, carpet, and I don't know what will remove the stench but caus they questioned it I need to supply my carpet receipt even though the pictures are shocking.

Go figure..........
Sorry to hear you've had some rat bags trash your place Yellow.
Was it a short or long term tenancy?
Was the tenant asked to supply referances?

Again there is no excuse for trashing a property but the resulting repairs are generally tax deductable.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:33 PM   #13
Cúl-Báire

Quote:

Go figure..........
A little OT I know, but why wasn't the agent on top of this long before now; the house should never have been able to get into this condition if the agent was doing a good job; I feel for you! Same token, I think it's right you need to show evidence of costs incured as I've had a landlord try to take my bond and then some in the past when really they had no grounds to.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:33 PM   #14
J_Putz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Just pay out your rent ffs, Dont be cheap.

With the respect which is due to you, you have not understood the question. You are assuming I am being cheap. Do you know something about me I dont know? Who are you again?
If you haven't been in the situation or known someone who has then just dont comment.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:40 PM   #15
The Monty
Just slidin'

Im pretty sure I just told you I was in the EXACT same situation. Read my post. the reference about being cheap wasnt meant to be rude, I just find it hard to imagine it would be hard for you to pay it for 4 weeks, when it seems as though you have bought a house, and have managed to pay the rent for the entirety of your stay so far. Just pay it out, and get your bond back at the end.
I tried using up my bond, left the house in perfect nick, got burnt by the real estate (for instance, charged us for cleaning blinds that WE installed as the property didnt come with any, or curtains, but we were nice enough to leave them there, etc), we left and bought a house, they blacklisted us, did not inform us, as they sent our mail to our old house we were renting, we tried to move out of our house we own, and to rent it two years later, and found out we had incurred a black listing.
If you dont want help from the people your asking for help from, or from people that you want advice from, dont ask. If you have made up your mind, and are just going to agree with anyone who agrees with you, and put crap on those who tell you otherwise, delete the thread.
Just trying to help, maybe you should listen?
Old 13-11-2011, 12:21 AM   #16
Thornie
Off smelting

Quote:

Go figure..........

Same situation here, ive got a list as long as my arm of damages, to my rental dunno where im gonna pull the money from to cover the repairs, thinking legal action, but not to sure.
Old 13-11-2011, 12:27 AM   #17
creative
I am Batman

Sorry but I'm with Monty.

If you are as perfect as you state to be then you have nothing to worry about. An agent has to apply to make a claim on bond and give a valid reason. They can't just take it as some people think.

If they do, take them to tribunal and if it's anything like I am experiencing then they will side in your favor anyway.....
Old 13-11-2011, 12:28 AM   #18
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaTTuS
Same situation here, ive got a list as long as my arm of damages, to my rental dunno where im gonna pull the money from to cover the repairs, thinking legal action, but not to sure.

Insurance? That's what it's there for. It doesn't help your situation I know but it's a solution.
Old 13-11-2011, 03:53 AM   #19
Thornie
Off smelting

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative
Insurance? That's what it's there for. It doesn't help your situation I know but it's a solution.
In talks with insurance atm, but they are proving to be a pita, will be changin insurance companys once i'm done with them too.
Old 13-11-2011, 08:18 AM   #20
Springfield_Johny

If you fail to pay rent you could be placed on a tenant ratings list - with unfavorable comments which would make finding another rental difficult

Can failure to pay your bills also affect your credit rating? - yes

Of the real estate thinks you are a pain they could just look for anything to take you to court over like a minor stain in the carpet or a
Minor mark on the wall needing a very minor repair. If there is no bond left to cover this, you get taken to the tribunal for a judgement to be made. This involves time away from work, costs to defend yourself etc etc.

Your landlord could be relying on the rent to pay a mortgage on the property, if you with hold the rent the agent land lord have to make a claim against the bond, this doesn't happen every week only after they follow a strict process so it may be some weeks before your land lord receives his "rent" quite possibly putting them in financial hardship and/or affecting their credit rating. Imagine if your boss told you he was going to withhold your pay for over a month and you had to follow a painful and sometimes slow process to claim it.

You have also signed a legally binding contract to pay rent weekly/fortnightly or monthly

Do the right thing, pay your rent, your being supplied with a product (the place you live) it's only fair that you pay for it.

Daily drive 2010 Mitsubishi triton single cab turbo diesel

1968 XT Falcon (project yet to be started)
Old 13-11-2011, 11:11 AM   #21
J_Putz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springfield_Johny

Do the right thing, pay your rent, your being supplied with a product (the place you live) it's only fair that you pay for it.
Quote:

dont get me started on their many shortcomings and even complete failings.
Old 13-11-2011, 11:47 AM   #22
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Deleted comment

Some men you just can't reach...

Last edited by gcg2503; 13-11-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 13-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #23
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The bond is there for damages to the rental place when you move out/ do a runner.

You cant with hold rent and use your bond to pay the last 4 weeks, its as simple as that.

If you do you will be breach of your agreement and have a black mark against your name....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 13-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #24
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I remember being given the advice once that I should not pay the rent for the last month or however long the bond covers. The plan would be to have the bond amount soaked up to cover the remaining rent = real estate cant rip me off on my bond refund when I vacate.
Why would you bother contemplating this?

If you are as good a tenant as you say you are you'll get the bond back in full anyway.
Dont forget the agent doesn't hold the money, the rental bond board does.
Old 13-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #25
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wish i thought of this sooner

Our house doesn't settle for a couple of months so i wonder if the bank will be ok if i just blow off a few mortgage payments and they can just take it out of the sale....
Old 13-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #26
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Hey J Putz, what's with all the photo replies..?
If you want a serious answer in this thread then I believe you should take a good look at your attitude towards the thread..
Just my 2c..

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 13-11-2011, 06:08 PM   #27
Springfield_Johny

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzwa
Wish i thought of this sooner

Our house doesn't settle for a couple of months so i wonder if the bank will be ok if i just blow off a few mortgage payments and they can just take it out of the sale....

I might tell my bank just to take what I owe them out of my estate after I'm dead. I could always use the money for other things, besides they also hold a mortgage over the place so they'll get what they are owed when I die

Daily drive 2010 Mitsubishi triton single cab turbo diesel

1968 XT Falcon (project yet to be started)
Old 13-11-2011, 06:33 PM   #28
buggo
[BU66OS]

You make a thread and be condescending towards anyone with a differing opinion?
Here's a thread you started:thread
Quote:
I recently asked for an amount, which in my retirement I will certainly consider to be considerable, to be transferred from my old super account into my current one.
A bit more than a month later I get the paperwork which says the deed has been done only to find out that 50% of the figure has been stolen by the previous company on the spot in account keeping fees etc. Not over the course of my dealings with them but on the spot.
I guess this is their way of saying thanks for being a member and we hope you'll recommend us to your friends...
I would LOVE it if I were able to name these bastards on this forum.
See the ironic correlation?

Pay out the rest of the rent, don't steal from the landlords. They may very well have a family and there own mortgage and doing it tough, finding that extra $1000 in a month wouldn't be a nice feeling.
You won't be left out of pocket, if all the affairs are in order, you'll get your money.

edit: Can't wait to see what picture I get.

BA XR8 Manual
Old 13-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #29
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Why would you bother contemplating this?

If you are as good a tenant as you say you are you'll get the bond back in full anyway.
Dont forget the agent doesn't hold the money, the rental bond board does.
Some tenants don't understand that rent and bond are two different things.
BOND IS NOT FOR RENT.
Old 13-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #30
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pay the rent. If you don't then when the next place you move in to calls the last property manager for a reference, they'll let them know that you defaulted on your rent, and then you won't be able to secure a place to live.
Don't forget, the rental agencies do not hold the bonds, they are held by a trustee.
Closed Thread