Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 20-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
~Spyne~

Default Possible Sticky - Service costs?

Hi guys, I was thinking it might be a helpful reference if we had a sticky where people could put up the costs of their servicing - be it from a Ford dealer or other service garage? This way people can be prepared for their coming service, knowing how much it should cost (approximately) from a dealer or independent.

I suggest this because I took my LT Focus (diesel) in for a 120,000km service this morning and asked for a ballpark cost - $460! I nearly fainted, even though I knew it would be higher than normal. Definitely thinking of moving to an independent or UltraTune (now that we have one in Ballarat) next time.

How have people found non-dealers for servicing of their diesel Focus?

Old 20-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 
Default Re: Possible Sticky - Service costs?

compare apples with apples if pricing around, what one company does as a service may be different to another or what the car is due for if going by the service manual

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
DeKa

$460 is the capped price service price according to the Ford website for 60000km which is the same service as the 120000km one. No surprises there.
DeKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Is that a service A (minor) or service B (major) price???

I got a shock when pricing my first B service for my LV deisel. Around $440 for the manual and DOUBLE for the auto......

Taking my car in tomorrow for its 45k A service. Will ask exactly what is done at the 60k service. From my understanding the difference is the fancy transmission, but nowhere in the book does it say it needs a service anyway. I have the auto.

Will fill in what the service guys say when I take it.

Oh... what do I pay for an A service? $199. Only because it was promised to me at purchase time, then forgotten about at collection....

You bet I made a stink........

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Every 60k is a major service with the fuel and air filters being changed.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #6
rand0mn00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDB
Every 60k is a major service with the fuel and air filters being changed.
really? I'm pretty sure the logbook says to change air filters much sooner than that.

and don't forget spark plugs and brake fluid, and maybe coolant depending on how long it takes you to get to 60,000
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2012, 11:50 PM   #7
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On a petrol the plugs and air filter are done every 60k. I don't remember seeing an interval for fuel filter replacement.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 12:00 AM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I think with diesel it says air cleaner inspected or changed every 15k. Problem with diesel is the box is actually bolted shut, not just simple spring clips.

Also, coolant is 10 years between changes if memory serves. I think the B service includes fuel filter change....

Old 21-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #9
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

120000 is a big service.
My wifes petrol focus was up near there at 120,000.
I,m getting my LT diesel a minor 105000 service next week at $245 , its 50-60 cheaper elsewhere but I trust the outfit I use and its logbook approved.
60 buck is sfa if you have peace of mind. I do 8-900 km a week and the last thing I want is a breakdown.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
~Spyne~

Well, the actual sting was $451.

Replaced engine oil and oil filter
Replaced air cleaner element and fuel filter
Coolant fluid topped up (was VERY low after not being topped up the last two services)
ECU test
Onroad drive test
All the standard inspections/checks/lubrications

Apparently tyres reqd in ~5000km (bullsh!t, have at least 75% tread left), and front pads & rotors also in ~5000km (bugger)

Stick with OEM pads and rotors is there better performance/life to be had elsewhere?
Old 21-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #11
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The OEM disc rotors are too soft and you will be replacing them with the next set of pads but they say they provide the better braking.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #12
~Spyne~

Fair enough.
How long should pads and rotors last on the Focus?
As I've had the car since 28,000km and this will be the first time i've replaced either (first time it's been recommended and I've never been concerned about the braking performance previously)
Old 22-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #13
rand0mn00b

stock rotors seem to wear at the same rate and in some cases quicker than the pads, true story!

i only managed to get about 60,000KM from my rotors and pads and all 4 wore out about the same rate

but some members here only managed about half of that, and funnily enough the rears wore quicker!

anyway, I went to RDA blank rotors paired with QFM HPX pads and have been VERY happy with the braking performance. HPX pads have a much more gradual bite but the stock pads are by no means bad, they just seem to wear out really quick. other side effect = no visible brake dust
Old 18-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #14
KenN0898

Does anybody know what the 45000Kms service for my 2009 LV Focus 2 Ltr petrol, automatic would cost at a Ford service outlet,....and does the cost of new oil and the replacement of any scheduled parts be included in the basic cost?
KenN0898 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #15
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.ford.com.au/ownership/myf...otspot_LO1_CPS

Try this link. Looks like $270.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #16
Citwit

If you are getting the capped price service makke sure that that is all you get. They tried padding may last one out with things of dubious necessity such as an emission service whatever that is!
Citwit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2012, 02:01 AM   #17
KenN0898

Thanks guys
Old 22-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #18
jacksprat
Starter Motor

i had a quote from a ford dealer of 260 bucks for a 90000k service for my LT and a quote from repco of 160 bucks , so will the ford dealer do a better job? i do'nt know but its a no brainer for me , jack
jacksprat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Go to your local trusted mechanic, I wouldn't go to a dealership for servicing having worked in one.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2012, 12:19 AM   #20
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

myself i would prefer someone to work on the car that will do what is documented in the ford scheduled service manual that comes with the car, if workshop X is only doing part of the job but charging less............... imo you are getting ripped off.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2012, 02:11 AM   #21
Citwit

What makes you think that just because you take the car to a dealer you will be getting done what is documented in the service manual. I have had numerous "discussions" with the service staff just to get them to do what is in the service manual. It is ironic that if it was found that I had been doing the servicing my warranty would be voided but they can do a shoddy service and that is OK. Big Damo's comment is interesting and its not the first time I have heard a similar comment.
Old 24-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #22
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agreed. The dealership service on my Focus included 10W/30 oil, rather than the 5W/30 recommended in the manual. I suspect it's cheaper and more readily available.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #23
KenN0898

Smile Re: Possible Sticky - Service costs?

Personally I would prefer for my car to be serviced by Ford and to have the book stamped as a record of service but I must admit that in the past I have taken previous cars to other workshops for service and can confirm that in my experience, they too will often take shortcuts where they believe they can get away with it, this means we are all at the mercy of whatever servicing outlet we choose, the alternative is do it ourselves which is something that many of us, myself included, isn't capable of doing.
However, my recent experience when I took my car to a Ford service outlet was one of complete satisfaction. I had bought a 2009 petrol engine Ford Focus LV with just under 42000 kms. on the clock but because there was no record of service in the book I decided to take it to Wayne Phyllis Ford at Christies Beach in Sth Australia for a peace of mind 45000 Kms. “A” service and was quoted $270 for the job. In addition, when I took the car in I decided to have the two yearly brake fluid replacement done because there was no record of this in my book so I assumed it was overdue. In addition I asked them to obtain the radio code for me because I didn’t have a record of it.
When I collected my car I was presented with an account for $326.30 which included an envirolmental waste levy of $9.00 so I was quite happy because I had expected a bill of at least $360.
I would like to say that because the general opinion on this forum appears to be one where Ford service departments should not be trusted and should be avoided whenever possible I was pleasantly surprised because throughout this experience I found the staff at Wayne Phyllis Ford to be both polite and very helpfull and I will quite happily leave my car at this workshop whenever future servicing tasks become due but of course, as far as is possible, I will always try to keep a close eye on what is being done to ensure that shortcuts are kept to a minimum.
Old 24-10-2012, 11:44 PM   #24
Citwit

I am not saying that you should avoid Ford service departments. I am saying that you should not assume that you will get better service than elsewhere. You need to find a service provider that you can trust. Trust can easily be broken and very hard to regain. It doesn't take much shonky behaviour to break trust.
I could list a large number of items during my cars servicing at the local Ford dealer that either were not done properly or were not done at all. Two instances of the many with me were: use of a 10w40 oil rather than a 5W30 oil. The type of oil they claimed they used does not meet the appropriate Ford standard. You would expect that the dealer would use an oil that met their own standard. When I discussed this with them the claimed they had made a mistake on the invoice. Do I believe them?
Secondly mine is a manual car. It has an hydraulic clutch. The fluid comes out of the same reservoir as the brakes. The service manual with the car recommends that the fluid be changed every 2 years - brake and clutch - it is the same fluid and it is stated in the manual. I paid to have the fluid changed after 2 years as recommended. When I could see no evidence of the clutch fluid being changed. When I discussed this with them they told me that they had only done the brake fluid. I am still waiting for them to offer to complete the job.
What I am saying is that whether you get the job done at the Ford dealer or elsewhere make sure you know what should be done at the service and satisfy yourself afterwards that it was actually done and you can build up a trust with that service provider. Also don't expect that just because it is a Ford dealer that you will automatically get a better standard of service.
Old 25-10-2012, 12:41 AM   #25
rand0mn00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citwit
What I am saying is that whether you get the job done at the Ford dealer or elsewhere make sure you know what should be done at the service and satisfy yourself afterwards that it was actually done and you can build up a trust with that service provider. Also don't expect that just because it is a Ford dealer that you will automatically get a better standard of service.
This is it in a nutshell.

I too have been served 10W40 in my Focus by a Ford dealer's servicing - it's cheaper because it's more widely used in other cars so they can buy in greater quantities. It still amazes me how some people will try to have an oil change including parts and labour that costs less than a bottle of the correct specification oil for our cars (~$80)

And while I'm glad one of the above posters had a positive experience in the customer relations department, somehow I don't think that necessarily makes the service department reliable. Short of watching them work on your car I don't know how you intend to keep an eye on the work to make sure that shortcuts are kept to a minimum.

If you mean to check the quality of work afterwards, this is not something easily done, even if you are capable of servicing your own car. e.g. how do you confirm the viscosity and grade of oil? how do you make sure all fluids are to specification etc. you would need to set up some obvious check points that are mentioned in the service schedule that are routinely skipped.

e.g. I can tell you that hardly any services include checks and lubricating the hinges/latches or that all the brake/indicator lights are working (no money for them) but you can bet your money that brakes and tyres will be quoted as needing replacement even though they've got plenty of life in them! (good money)

edit: the dealer service department I had my focus serviced at also seemed to miss the fact that my 2 year brake & clutch fluid needed doing, even at a 60,000KM 'B' service
Old 25-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #26
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0mn00b
e.g. I can tell you that hardly any services include checks and lubricating the hinges/latches or that all the brake/indicator lights are working (no money for them) but you can bet your money that brakes and tyres will be quoted as needing replacement even though they've got plenty of life in them! (good money)
Last service was a month ago - 45km. I always record what is said at service intervals. I remember the guy telling me at the 35k service that the brakes were fine. Rears were at 50%, fronts at 70%.

No worries.

From 35-45k it was mostly long distance freeway driving. Did that in around 3 months.

Got a call to say that my rear brakes have only got 'a few thousand km left in them'.. And that new pads were around the $350 mark... fitted of course!

Ummm I told him I was short of doe and to just do what was in the schedule.

I'm almost on 50km now.... I did look at the pads and I actually think there is still at least 5mm of visible friction material left. A far cry from what they said.......

I will be dropping my Sunday car off to my local mechanic and ask him to have a better look at the rear brakes, both in and outer pads just to be certain.