Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 16-04-2008, 10:58 AM   #1
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default new focus

was just looking through the Ford UK site and noticed with the new Focus you can keep the key in your pocket and it detects your approach and as you pull the handle it unlocks, and keyless start with the Ford power button, why couldn't this sort of tech be introduced to the Falcon? it'd be put a step above the Commodore, not sure if these features are in the Mondeo or not??

GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
was just looking through the Ford UK site and noticed with the new Focus you can keep the key in your pocket and it detects your approach and as you pull the handle it unlocks, and keyless start with the Ford power button, why couldn't this sort of tech be introduced to the Falcon? it'd be put a step above the Commodore, not sure if these features are in the Mondeo or not??
I certainly wouldn't be persuaded to choose one over the other based on that, in fact, not sure how much I'd actually want that feature. Much prefer a key and a remote fob.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 11:19 AM   #3
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it handy for sure, and personally i wouldn't be fussed having it or not, but to the average joe it might come across as nice wow factor, wouldn't be a deal maker but those little things do help.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 12:44 PM   #4
Nappa
Impressive...

we have it at toyota and it is pretty cool to have, once your used to it then its a great feature. the next model XR5 will have this technology
Old 16-04-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
alecrain
'03 BA XT

Cool

Quote:

There is a very big problem with the keyless entry....

you never know if the car is locked, as every time you approach it to check if it's locked, it always is open :togo:

Beautiful Photography Blog

2003 BA XT
IMPCO SVI - TYPHOON CAI +XR6T snorkel - K&N Panel Filter - DBA Slotties - Tint

1998 Toyota Landcruiser Prado

www.bseries.com.au/alecrain

Quote:
People that drive slower than ME are BAD DRIVERS,
People that drive faster are IDIOTS
alecrain is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 02:06 PM   #6
KevinC
Starter Motor

what if you walked up to the car with the key in your pocket, doors open, but as you get in the key falls on the ground, you can still start the car and turn it on with the keyless start, but once you get to your destination, you don't have your car keys and can't get home :p

i'm sure that isn't possible, but would be funny
KevinC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 02:30 PM   #7
Assassinbm

I heard an interesting story recently with an XR5 Mondeo which has this feature, hubby came home to wifey, wifey running late to beauty salon jumps in car (hubby at home with kiddies), goes to salon, realizes no key............... in hubby's pocket, hubby jump in other car, run key to wifey.....lucky wifey didnt stall car along way.....
Old 16-04-2008, 04:42 PM   #8
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
That could be handy for pick pocket car thieves it could them a few extra seconds head start.
:togo:
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 04:54 PM   #9
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecrain
you never know if the car is locked, as every time you approach it to check if it's locked, it always is open :togo:
Not really - you lock and unlock the car in the normal method, the only difference is if you choose to use the keyless entry, you have to walk up to the vehicle and then pull the door handle. It won't unlock per-se without you physically pulling the door handle with the key in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C
what if you walked up to the car with the key in your pocket, doors open, but as you get in the key falls on the ground, you can still start the car and turn it on with the keyless start, but once you get to your destination, you don't have your car keys and can't get home
The car "has a fit" if the car is put into gear without the key in the vehicle - warning chimes etc.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 09:07 PM   #10
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Last post should have read as -
That could be handy for pick pocket car thieves it could give them a few extra seconds head start.
Old 16-04-2008, 09:30 PM   #11
TurboUteris
Dirt Squirter

Russ,
That was like one of those emails which ask you to count all the Y's or something.It took me three reads to see what you were talking about.LOL
TurboUteris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 09:34 PM   #12
jeremyevans

hope ford have tweaked all the gremlins in with the new keyless system as it was a big embarassment for mercedes and bmw.
jeremyevans is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 09:37 PM   #13
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

New Lancers have this.

Not that fancy.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 10:49 PM   #14
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboUteris
Russ,
That was like one of those emails which ask you to count all the Y's or something.It took me three reads to see what you were talking about.LOL
Yeah, Sorry about that, if it's any consolation I had to read it a couple times myself before I realised I'd goofed. I am planning on having my eyes tested soon, now I know why !!! :P
Old 16-04-2008, 10:51 PM   #15
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecrain

I think you need to watch more Top Gear
Old 17-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #16
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

in 5 years, this tech will be standard on most new cars, Lancer already has it, so does Maxima, Prius, Corolla (I think), Mondeo, UK spec Focus (we will probably get it on next Focus upgrade), probably next upgrade to Commodore/ Calais. I wouldn't be surprised if G6E gets it when V6 comes online (FGs First expected upgrade.)
Old 17-04-2008, 12:42 PM   #17
Vines5161

Have friends that have this technology in their Mitisubishi and problem is that if they are out togther (ie two sets of keys) the wife cannot leave her handbag in the car with the keys in it because the car will not lock.
Vines5161 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #18
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Leaving a set of keys in the car is not a smart move anyway, you wont be covered by insurance if its stolen.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #19
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA-289
New Lancers have this.

Not that fancy.
I've been saying this for a while. You're right, it's not that fancy. Yet you can get it on a $20k car, but not an all new Falcon... :

I think it's a great technology.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2008, 02:02 PM   #20
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It sounds fancy but i think it would become pretty annoying, they need a way to turn it off if you want
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2008, 04:23 PM   #21
ImpGonads
Fart Powered™

I'm one of those people who has severe OCD about locking cars (especially the XR6) I find myself only content and satified when I have locked, unlocked and then double locked (including the warning beep) then I know its locked properly! :

This keyless stuff will do my head in! Haha...