Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-11-2022, 12:20 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation According to Drive Ranger XL and XLS are not selling?

"The waiting times for the top-end versions of the new-generation Ford Ranger such as the XLT, Sport and Wildtrak – especially variants equipped with the optional turbo diesel V6 – stretch from six to 18 months.

But Ford dealers are struggling to get customers to even open the door on the Ford Rangers with the cheap seats, steel wheels and vinyl floors.

Perhaps it's the ugly halogen headlights that are the real turn off, but whatever the reason, the basic Ford Ranger XL and XLS seem to be sale proof.

Which is why Ford is blasting radio ads in all major capital cities – and regional areas – to help clear the decks (and showroom forecourts) of the ugly ducklings of the Ford Ranger family.

All models come with the full suite of advanced safety tech; the standard single-turbo 2.0-litre diesel is perky enough for light-duty use and super-efficient.

So if you're desperate to get into a new Ford Ranger and can live with the dull appearance and duller performance of the halogen headlights – a clear signal to others you're in the cheap seats – you can drive away in a new ute today.'"
https://www.drive.com.au/news/new-ca..._ZOu2I2OfCaAek
Old 24-11-2022, 02:12 PM   #2
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: According to Drive Ranger XL and XLS are not selling?

Everyone wants the up-spec models. Ford must be loving this, cause they are much more profitable.

They have already adjusted production mix to build more up-spec stuff.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2022, 03:43 PM   #3
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I said this months ago, yards are full of bottom end stock .
Surprisingly, buyers want 6 cylinders.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-11-2022, 03:51 PM   #4
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They are correct in saying every dealer is different, very true. If I can give my point of view and add a little more context:

XL- yes, it has been a little slow in both 4x2 and 4x4 double cab pickup (single and bi turbo) and you will find one if you are chasing, cab chassis is still pretty thin on the ground.
XLS- yes, 4x2 has been a bit slow but 4x4 has not
Ambiente- yes in 4x2, no in 4x4
Trend, yes in 4x2, no in 4x4
Old 24-11-2022, 04:23 PM   #5
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isn't this the same as PX Ranger though? Pretty sure it was also very top heavy with sales with People wanting XLT or higher.... The same was always going to happen with the new one, especially with the V6D only being available in these model's....

I know with my dealer you can walk in and get a XLS or XL off the lot right now. On the same token though, they have also delivered a fair few of them to customers....

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2022, 10:11 AM   #6
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

the lower grades need the c clamp headlights asap, the xl and xls are so ugly!
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2022, 10:43 AM   #7
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

I have absolutely no idea why the marketing team keep getting the mix for us so wrong. not just Ranger but Everest too now. Ambiente are sitting on the lots not moving.

historically they missed Focus and Fiesta premium series by a long long way too
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2022, 11:11 AM   #8
Itsme
Experienced Member

If they allowed more options to XL & XLS sales will probably move better for them.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2022, 11:23 AM   #9
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
I have absolutely no idea why the marketing team keep getting the mix for us so wrong. not just Ranger but Everest too now. Ambiente are sitting on the lots not moving.

Ambiente will pick up, its just going to take time, in my opinion is is a fantastic package. They aren't really sticking, its more awareness of the product and also the consumer thinking they need a V6 when the bi-turbo is very capable.
Old 25-11-2022, 11:24 AM   #10
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
If they allowed more options to XL & XLS sales will probably move better for them.
To be honest XL is pretty well equipped for a "base' model, a little too much to be honest.
Old 25-11-2022, 12:06 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

When I bought my WS Fiesta new, the majority of the market wanted the top spec Zetec model and they brought in a tonne of povvo spec models that were sitting on dealership floors, I just walked into my local dealership and got mine off the lot no dramas.

They've got form misreading the market, it's like the people who do this work take public transport to work and look at their MacBook Air for the whole commute - if you use your eyes when you drive to work you'll see a bazillion upper spec Rangers on the road.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2022, 12:16 PM   #12
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

It is odd. P375 had a rich mix, so how the hell did they expect that not to at least continue with 703, if at least not continue to grow richer? Same with undercalling V6.

Baffles me sometimes how these blokes on big bucks who's job it is to predict this stuff can get it so wrong. At least they are changing the production mix now to compensate. Should never have got to that point though.
4 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2022, 12:19 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t View Post
To be honest XL is pretty well equipped for a "base' model, a little too much to be honest.
It is. It really surprised me to see that huge touchscreen and digital dash in even the cheapest base model. I was expecting a tiny little screen and traditional gauges in the cluster.

Look at the competition in this area, they have these tiny little non-touch screens that are probably as big as a post it note. Monotone in some of them too, not even full colour.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2022, 12:21 PM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
It is. It really surprised me to see that huge touchscreen and digital dash in even the cheapest base model. I was expecting a tiny little screen and traditional gauges in the cluster.

Look at the competition in this area, they have these tiny little non-touch screens that are probably as big as a post it note. Monotone in some of them too, not even full colour.
Is there any reviews of the povvo spec variants? Or even photos, I haven't seen one out on the road yet.

I saw a new Raptor at Highpoint Shopping Centre yesterday in the upstairs car park, whoever it is I reckon works there as there always used to be a modified previous gen Raptor up there as well.
Old 25-11-2022, 02:25 PM   #15
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Indeed, which makes me think perhaps some content could be removed to reduce the MLP, however, I think its too late, the spec has been revealed and its a little hard to go backwards. The bread and butter single cab 4x2 auto is a good example. Need to go back to basics with a low ride manual single turbo 2.0, maybe ANCAP has something to do with it in a way?
Old 25-11-2022, 02:27 PM   #16
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Is there any reviews of the povvo spec variants? Or even photos, I haven't seen one out on the road yet.

I saw a new Raptor at Highpoint Shopping Centre yesterday in the upstairs car park, whoever it is I reckon works there as there always used to be a modified previous gen Raptor up there as well.
I've seen some pretty decent bulk fleet deals on XL, give it time, they will appear. No reviews as of yet, I can see it getting glowing reviews only let down by the price gap from XL/S to XLT, as it its too close.
Old 25-11-2022, 03:16 PM   #17
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t View Post
Indeed, which makes me think perhaps some content could be removed to reduce the MLP, however, I think its too late, the spec has been revealed and its a little hard to go backwards. The bread and butter single cab 4x2 auto is a good example. Need to go back to basics with a low ride manual single turbo 2.0, maybe ANCAP has something to do with it in a way?
Our man DFB had a thread where he wanted a povvo spec single cab 4x2 Ranger for his work vehicle.

To me it seems like Ford Australia doesn't want to have a crack at Toyota, they're happy staying in their lane as the private owner king.
4 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2022, 04:24 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Our man DFB had a thread where he wanted a povvo spec single cab 4x2 Ranger for his work vehicle.

To me it seems like Ford Australia doesn't want to have a crack at Toyota, they're happy staying in their lane as the private owner king.
Ranger outsold Hilux last month. Probably will for the forseeable future now that production is in full swing. Let them have their low profit workmate fleet sales, while making bank on highly profitable Raptors and Wildtraks.
Old 25-11-2022, 05:23 PM   #19
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I first saw the pricing I was pleasantly surprised, perhaps customers waiting and doing their research thought the same, and optioned up.

I think the base models will start moving once the reputation picks up, and they start picking up Prado Buyers etc
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2022, 06:42 PM   #20
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Put the V6 in XL /XLS and watch ‘em go out the door…

Not so long ago Ford was shaking its head at australian buyers being too capacity centric,
Ford continually underestimates this market, playing safe costs them a ton of sales…
Time to just let her rip and take the cash……
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2022, 08:02 PM   #21
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post

Not so long ago Ford was shaking its head at australian buyers being too capacity centric,
Ford continually underestimates this market, playing safe costs them a ton of sales…
Correct, more options.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2022, 08:39 PM   #22
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post

Probably a silly question, but with Ford already doing all the regulatory stuff to sell the V6D in the XLt and above, I would assume the XL/XLS could be sold with the same drivetrain without any extra work required? Its the same basic car underneath...

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2022, 09:38 PM   #23
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

engineering wouldn't be an issue. it's a marketing thing to drive differentiation. a V6 in an XL would probably be more expensive than a 2.0 in an XLT which wouldn't make sense
Old 26-11-2022, 01:00 AM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Ranger outsold Hilux last month. Probably will for the forseeable future now that production is in full swing. Let them have their low profit workmate fleet sales, while making bank on highly profitable Raptors and Wildtraks.
Still keep those high value sales, but why not take more off Toyota where you could?

Toyota is the king of the 4x2 povvo spec, sure they're lower profit per unit compared to the high value stuff but why leave an opening for Toyota? Take that from them too.

They can't be THAT low profit though, what's it cost to crank out a ladder frame chassis ute with a 5sp manual box with drum brakes on the rear, leaf springs and a 15 year old 4 cylinder engine?

Its not like Toyota would be losing money on every $32K Workmate that leaves the dealership floor.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2022, 08:24 AM   #25
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Still keep those high value sales, but why not take more off Toyota where you could?

Toyota is the king of the 4x2 povvo spec, sure they're lower profit per unit compared to the high value stuff but why leave an opening for Toyota? Take that from them too.

They can't be THAT low profit though, what's it cost to crank out a ladder frame chassis ute with a 5sp manual box with drum brakes on the rear, leaf springs and a 15 year old 4 cylinder engine?

Its not like Toyota would be losing money on every $32K Workmate that leaves the dealership floor.
Exactly...Toyota would never make a loss on a sale....and if a dealers margin was paper thin I'm certain a rebate system would cover it later or better company pricing on the higher spec model for the volumes generated. Plus every unit sold whether the top spec or bottom spec needs to be serviced regularly.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2022, 10:06 AM   #26
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
engineering wouldn't be an issue. it's a marketing thing to drive differentiation. a V6 in an XL would probably be more expensive than a 2.0 in an XLT which wouldn't make sense
Probably, but if customers want a workhorse with V6 power and rubber flooring then it doesnt matter how the price compares to a 2.0l XLT as the XLT isnt suitable for the intended purpose.

My biggest gripe with Ford over the past 20yrs has been that they think their the smartest people in the room and dictate to customers what they think the customer wants when reality is their reasoning is often just excuses for not offering choice.

Case in point is Raptor, over the past 4 years we've heard how well represented Raptor has been in the monthly breakdown and we have to take 'insiders' word on that, however, blind Freddy can see that the new Raptor with petrol V6 is killing it and the sheer number on the roads already suggests that the superseded model was nowhere near the sales success that it was purported to be or could have been.

Sure it sold, but we now see that when given a true performance engine people will pay whatever it costs and they fly out the door.
For a petrol V6 in a ute none the less which again we were told until recently that Ford didnt build because Hilux petrol V6 was a flop.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2022, 07:12 PM   #27
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Probably, but if customers want a workhorse with V6 power and rubber flooring then it doesnt matter how the price compares to a 2.0l XLT as the XLT isnt suitable for the intended purpose.
I totally understand why Ford wouldn't want to offer a V6 XL or XLS, as in they want people buying the higher end models.

Thing is, I would happily buy an XLT or Sport...........but then I end up having a vehicle not fit for my purposes, as in a dual cab. So, what ends up happening is people either settle for something impractical or end up getting second best.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2022, 07:37 PM   #28
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Or, you could make the 2.0 a delete option, I have a feeling that the 2.0 diesel is quickly becoming a wall flower…
If you’re gonna spend that much money on a Ranger, spend a little more and get the V6, pity ford has limited
V6 production to 29,000/year….
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2022, 08:31 PM   #29
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

things are changing very rapidly in the Regulations space. Iterations of the Euro 6 standard mean that the bi-turbo is finding it increasingly hard to pass. If we move to Euro 6 here quickly we may find that we can pick up Euro spec cars. It might not be that easy as our cars are currently sourced from Thailand but the Euro market ones are sourced from South Africa, but just because you can't buy the model here today doesn't mean that it will always be the case
Old 27-11-2022, 01:40 PM   #30
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

How do you expect a Ranger buyer to become insta-famous with a poverty pack ute?