Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default How was everyone's Valentines eve/day?

Well mine has been eventful (and not in the adult way!)

My partner and I headed off last night to Phillip island for an overnight getaway for Valentines. After being there for only about an hour, this happened:

This is my mothers car (As mine isn't running. )
The story is, we were travelling to the Penguin parade to see penguins and when we got to this location:

Click <<

I was travelling SW bound on Ventnor rd, and a white Hiace was waiting to turn right onto Back Beach rd. I noticed the Hiace about 500m ahead of me and didn't think anything of it at the time. But as I got to about 30-40 ft from the van, he decided to take the right turn in front of me.

The speed limit on the road is 100, I was doing around 90, had about 25ft to pull up the car (which obviously was impossible) and collided with the van at around 60-80 km/h. My partner's left hand was/is broken (3 metacarpals and her wrist) and I have severe chest and spine bruising. The occupants in the van (All twelve of them) we're uninjured (Thank fuzz):

The driver and all the occupants are Taiwanese tourists on a working holiday Visa. The driver has an international license (Cereal box license) did not speak one word of English, and was driving his "bosses" car who lives in Tarneit.
After the Ambos were done checking us and treating my partner, I gave my statement to the Police that were there. I could overhear the other officer talking to the only one that could speak English, and he was explaining the driver said it was my fault and I was in the wrong (Everyone knew I wasn't), the cop gave him a stern talking to and charged them with failing to give way and overloading.

Today, we found out my partner requires surgery, and luckily mum's insurance went as smooth as silk (As I took video evidence, photos, and every single detail possible)

So yeah, it has been a memorable and totally awesome Valentines day!

How was everyone else's?

|Nate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Default Re: How was everyone's Valentines eve/day?

Worked all day. Personally I despise what valentines day has become. Such a commercial day. I'm glad I am single now!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah it is a big wrought (?) to sell tonnes of heart chocolates and other crap. It's my partners and mine anniversary that day so we celebrate it in a normal manner
Old 14-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Picked up a card for my wife on the way home from work this morning after nightshift.

There's no way I was spending $100 on flowers.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #5
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Wife, Kiddies and I are off to Fiji Sheraton for 8 days starting on Sunday...thats more than enough I think.... :P

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #6
Scott

We don't do Valentines Day - too commercial.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #7
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Im glad you & your partner are fine & well as can be given the circumstance INate.

I personally see VD (nice abbreviation ) as another day in the life. No battered eyelids here.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #8
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
We don't do Valentines Day - too commercial.
i think the day is great

i love buying my wife chocolates . . . . and then eating them
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #9
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Some people call it Valentines Day...Meh...I call it Tuesday!

It is the one day that Jack and I just dismiss, as another day.

Glad you and your partner are okay though INate.
Old 14-02-2012, 11:49 PM   #10
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys. TAC are going to be taking care of the bills and we might look into further compensation for missed work etc, but I'm glad it'll be as headache-less as possible.

gtxb, I might've possibly maybe copied your actions in regards to chocolates too
Old 15-02-2012, 12:03 AM   #11
Murph-51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The first time I have acknowledged it 9 years as I think it's a just a bloody joke really.
But i got the wife a pendent and chain, all 10 carrot gold and half a carrot of diamonds!!!
So I have made up for the last 9 years!!
Murph-51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 12:20 AM   #12
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

I don't need 1 day to tell me that I should buy flowers or chocolate, I am romantic 365 days a year.

Ill let you know how my Valentines day went after tonight
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #13
Spudz27
Call me Spud

It's our anniversary on 12th and my daughters b-day on 13th, so we don't bother with valentines day. Plus I can't stand commercial crap days. Easter the same, but christmas Is the one time I go above and beyond to make a special day. I love christmas.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 12:34 AM   #14
dylby1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

all alone, single again *cry* *cry* *whinge* ******* *moan* *complain*

the usual haha, wrecked the uv in my driveshaft while changing the centre bearing (the little rollers fell out and got lost in the dirt), picked up some new wheels for my rig. apart from that bugger all haha
Its just another day for me really. as said, you shouldnt need a day of the year to tell you to be romantic...

1993 Honda VFR750F
dylby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 12:36 AM   #15
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Well our Valentines day was similar to the OP's

I went off to work this morning as normal, ready to go on my first run when the wife rings frantically telling me a P plater had rear ended her and the kids at 60k's.
totalled her magna as she was sitting still at traffic lights and he didnt even get a chance to brake.

In the car were my wife, 11 year old daughter, 7 year old son and 10 week old baby girl.
All have bruises and are showing signs of whiplash, headaches etc.

I raced to the scene and after a quick check over by the ambulance crew, took them home and organised my mother to watch over them whilst i returned to work.
Picked her up some roses on the way home.
Dinner was take away from the BP in Pt Wakefield where we met the inlaws who have lent us their VT til the insurance is sorted.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 12:41 AM   #16
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Far out mate, so is the baby alright and all the kids? I'm sorry to hear that.
If he didn't have a chance to brake, I am going to just presume they were texting or something of the like -_-

All the best with insurance.
Old 15-02-2012, 01:00 AM   #17
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An ordinary day, except the ladies in the office kept crapping on about flowers and romance and all that...

I had my lady friend in the office message me though with, "blah blah blah" as she is not into these occasions...we'll go for a beer again sometime...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 01:08 AM   #18
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
Worked all day.
Same here mate.

My day went like this:

* 4am: Wake up time!
* 4:42am: First train to the city
* 5:30am: On site
* 7am: Finished site work, and now back in the office (first one to arrive!)
* 8pm: Finish work (yes, I'm flat out at the moment!)
* 9pm: Home, and now hitting the weights.
* 11pm: Cooking dinner
* 12am: Typing this reply, then hitting the bed.

Luckily yesterday was a one off!!!
saber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 01:26 AM   #19
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Just the same as every other year. Non-existent.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 06:25 AM   #20
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i went to work, my wife had the dog washed and took the kids to swimming lessons. i went to bunnings and got her a woodburner (for her work which she was going to buy anyway) got home and spent the afternoon blow-drying the dog (alaskan malamute) so he could come inside and playing with the kids in the sandpit.

had dinner, put kids to bed, spent hours looking on carsales and fell asleep on the lounge
Old 15-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #21
RepSpec
Formerly XG-Panelvanman

its funny how people say that its just another day so why go over the top with the lovey dovey stuff. so what, why cant we do the lovey dovey stuff?

i got my gf a dozen roses (orange) and she put a message in the herald sun book of love for me! then she cooked dinner. great night spent together!

BA MK2 Wagon, dedicated LPG, white.

modifications:
cargo barriers, tow bar
RepSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #22
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

The other half bought me a bunch of, to use his words, 'crappy flowers', no real surprise, he told me the night before...I show up to pick him up and he's got me my favourites, orange tiger lillies...

Then he bought me chocolates, while we watched in bewilderment at a couple of girls fill up a trolley at the supermarket and just walk out of the shop with it...

And I cooked a silverside...and as usual...stuffed up the white sauce

I hope your girlfriends surgery goes okay and that there were no really serious injuries.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #23
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepSpec
its funny how people say that its just another day so why go over the top with the lovey dovey stuff. so what, why cant we do the lovey dovey stuff?
Don't stress, the people who are saying that are the people who are most likely single. As for me, it was just another day
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2012, 12:21 AM   #24
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Booked a full package at the Observatory Hotel in The Rocks in Sydney that included 3 course dinner and breakfast, big room overlooking the water etc...

Got her the usual card, flowers and a few little nick nacks.

Was her birthday on the 11th, so sorta killed two birds with several stones ;)
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2012, 12:32 AM   #25
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

I was talking to my sister today and asked what her and her boyfriend did and as a few other members have grumbled....see went off on this rant about how valentines day is just a marketing scheme to make people buy things and feel alone and that they pretend the only way to rectify it was to fall for this commercial propaganda a spend-up.

This coming for the hypocrite that just spent a wad of cash on an iPad and Macbook, along with plasma TV's and every iPhone ever made and she thinks that she'll never fall for the marketing hype.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2012, 12:32 AM   #26
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally I take it as a day to make her feel extra special to make up for the other days in the year where life can get in the way a little. Bought her the standard dozen roses and a giant teddy, some necklace thing with a pendant or what efer they're called, card and took her in a single rose and her favourite muffin to work when we met for lunch so she felt special in front of her work mates. Dinner on the beach followed by dessert in one of the beach side eateries. She placed a message in the paper and made my favourite dinner tonight, couldn't ask for more.

Some say it's too comercial, but the day has a meaning for everyone.
Adamz Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #27
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Watched telly and went out for a a while, valentines day died here about 15 yrs ago.
quite surprised in a way it wasn`t promoted so much this year ? (read into that as you want )
Old 16-02-2012, 08:54 AM   #28
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Nate that's terrible mate!! Glad to hear you guys are OK though and that the insurance stuff went through without any issues.

As far as my own Valentine's Day, it wasn't the best this year, as the day before I'd learned that one of my closest friends had suddenly passed away due to heart failure at just 27 (alcoholic). Then about an hour later, my fiancée heard that her grandfather had a stroke and only has days left...

We were up in NSW on holiday (got back on Tuesday night), so it certainly put a downer on the whole thing. She did get me a little horny devil toy though as a joke...and we did go to see a movie...but yeah this year for us there were more important things happening in the world...
Old 16-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #29
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Dave, nothing we can do now other than wait and heal, and when I get the EB running again, get a detail from you

That's sad and I am sorry to hear that. Seems like this V-day has been a bit of a bumpy one for some.
Old 16-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #30
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I rear ended someone on valentines day too.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post