Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 01:30 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Vik Grujic turned up late and missed the protest because it got moved on by police

https://twitter.com/VikGrujic/status...66976399876096

Moving to Albert Park, stopping traffic and grown into 'thousands':

https://twitter.com/AneekaSimonis/st...64219366420481

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 05-09-2020 at 01:40 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 05-09-2020, 02:56 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
"You can't lock down five million people in Melbourne because you have a certain number of healthcare workers who are contracting COVID-19," Deakin University epidemiologist Professor Catherine Bennett said. "We have to find a way to shut down that transmission or stop the spread in those workplaces."

Melbourne University epidemiologist Professor James McCaw broadly agreed, saying there was now "very little circulation within the general community", and adding that it was "very reasonable" to question whether extending Melbourne's stage four lockdown beyond September 13 was the best option.
https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...04-p55sid.html
Old 05-09-2020, 04:01 PM   #3
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
not in particular yourself Franco but your 'challenging' is relative.
I once thought 'stay at home you ****ers' but I feel there is a better way forward; if only there wasn't so many idiots out there that are unfortunately breeding
Old 05-09-2020, 04:24 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_G6ET View Post
not in particular yourself Franco but the 'challenging' is relative.
I once thought 'stay at home you ****ers' but I feel there is a better way forward; if only there wasn't so many idiots out there that are unfortunately breeding
I've been out on a few protests before years ago, there's better ways to try get the message across.

My issues are mostly:

- Infringing on rights, freedom of assembly is a cornerstone of our democracy
- Heavy handed approach from Victoria Police
- Picking and choosing who they use these laws against (BLM sanctioned, Anti lockdown is the devil)
- Unelected official with the power to call off parliament from sitting (CHO) undermining our democracy

I'd rather they do social media campaigns, take part in initiatives like David Limbrick's noise campaign and contact their local MP - it's not wise to try fight the state government on its terms given current circumstances though given their penchant for heavy handedness and how they pick and choose who they enforce their powers on the optics are always horrible, the media picks it up, it gets international attention and it brings it to the attention of legal groups and the like.

If you make noise on an electoral level in numbers they'll react, Broadmeadows is a traditional and very strong ALP seat, they can make noise and threaten that.

Most Australians don't participate or take interest in politics - that apathetic attitude are the reason we have B grade politicians who decide to bring out the sledgehammer.

But I still support their right to go on their silly freedom protest/walks regardless of the message.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 05-09-2020 at 04:51 PM.
5 users like this post:
Old 05-09-2020, 05:02 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Looks like Perth protests too(?)

https://twitter.com/SarahKateSteger/...325283840?s=19
2 users like this post:
Old 05-09-2020, 08:18 PM   #6
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Perth protests?! Our rellies over there are living life as per normal and enjoying things. They want to open the border to what we've gone through in Vic?!
Old 05-09-2020, 08:23 PM   #7
marty351
Shenanigans..............

And there we have it, "covid deniers and anti semetic protesters" according to a blurrant affairs.

I'm not for these protesters, but when the leftist media blatantly lies on their own show I personally wish them an expedient demise.

Protesters that have been in isolation are suddenly spreaders of covid, with no mention of police, whom are constantly exposed to the possibility of contracting covid don't even rate a mention.

Time to lift stage 4 to stage 3 with minimal exemptions.
Polish the rust, get the wheels in motion and let lives be lived. The way we are going, and the expectations the gov have with this disease, we could be in lockdown jail indefinitely.
6 users like this post:
Old 05-09-2020, 08:31 PM   #8
Work Horse
Budget Racer

1000 new cases confirmed!
https://www.theshovel.com.au/
Old 05-09-2020, 09:33 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Check out this video - Melbourne City locations camera footage, completely deserted

https://www.reddit.com/r/melbourne/c...m_source=share
2 users like this post:
Old 05-09-2020, 09:42 PM   #10
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Franco, saw you in the Reddit thread, go check out an old movie 'Malcolm' they did in the 80's I think, about 40 years ago. Compare with that vid (which was great)
They also do an interesting conversion to a hatchback in the movie...
Old 05-09-2020, 10:15 PM   #11
marty351

Feck that, lets go the OMEGA man. Charlton Heston was on a good thing.
3 users like this post:
Old 06-09-2020, 06:50 AM   #12
leesa

If you consider people replying to you patronising then I think you've got issues.
How dare anyone point out that you could have gotten something wrong, right?
I'll decline to explain the difference between types of masks lest it really sends you over the edge.

Old 06-09-2020, 07:05 AM   #13
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
If you consider people replying to you patronising then I think you've got issues.
How dare anyone point out that you could have gotten something wrong, right?
I'll decline to explain the difference between types of masks lest it really sends you over the edge.
But you say yourself that you wear a mask that doesnt filter on exhale, so the "its not for you its for everyone else" argument doesnt work for you...?
Please explain...
Or get off your high horse
4 users like this post:
Old 06-09-2020, 07:34 AM   #14
leesa

The masks that people are being asked to wear are to stop you from spreading your own droplets, they're caught by the mask so that you don't infect other people. They don't really stop you from breathing in particles that are suspended in the air, they are not a sealed fit as there are gaps all around them where air gets through as you breathe in.

If everyone wears one, great, everyone is offered some level of protection. If you are wearing one and someone else isn't, they are somewhat protected from you but you are not protected from them.

There are different grades of masks with different filtering capabilities based on different materials and how they fit. The top rated masks aren't the ones being handed out for people to wear, they're mostly used in hospital settings so that our healthcare workers don't get sick when treating the sick patients.

So if you walk into an office and someone gives you a mask to put on... despite they themselves not wearing masks... they're trying to protect themselves from you but apparently have no intention of protecting you from them. Unless you're given an N95 mask which I'd think unlikely as they're expensive so I can't see an office giving them out for free.
But you can get your own, it will offer you more protection as it filters the air you breathe *in* as opposed to just catching the droplets that you breathe *out*. It also needs a good seal so all facial hair needs to be shaved off

2 users like this post:
Old 06-09-2020, 10:05 AM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

There's more photos here

https://www.australialockeddown.com/

It's nuts, seeing these areas that are usually very busy with people everywhere.
4 users like this post:
Old 06-09-2020, 03:31 PM   #16
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There's more photos here

https://www.australialockeddown.com/

It's nuts, seeing these areas that are usually very busy with people everywhere.
Yeah I reflected quite a bit after seeing your vid Franco. Never grew up in Melbourne so I don't really know the locations like an old friend, but I can reflect on what Perth was like as a kid on a Sunday morning in the 1980s - it was quiet, very little traffic. That video was all those things, and the last view reminded me of looking on the Perth CBD from Charles St or Loftus St Leederville/North Perth on a Sunday morning as a kid.

So there's degrees of separation. My mates in other states have no idea what it's like to be here in a Vic region and joke they should never open the borders to Vics again; the rules you have to follow just to get to the beach etc, how to go for a walk with a mask, how to shop etc. And likely I don't really know what you guys in the city are going through right now, even tho about 100km away - the streets here are busy in the fine weather, not quiet. People are obeying the rules, wearing masks, doing lines for coffee etc - but nothing like that vid you linked.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:15 AM   #17
marty351

Mr. Andrews, BRING DOWN THIS CURFEW!
Old 06-09-2020, 10:24 AM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Melbourne may remain under stage 4 coronavirus restrictions until mid-October, Deputy CHO says

Melbourne may remain in stage 4 lockdown until mid-October, one of the state's deputy chief health officers says, as new modelling suggests easing restrictions now would bring a high risk of a third wave of coronavirus infections.
https://amp.abc.net.au/article/12633912?

I suspect this is going to occur but let's see what happens in a few hours at the press conference.

Edit:

Avi Yemini was arrested yesterday at the protests, posted the footage after being released then had VIC Police come to his house today about posting the footage on Twitter

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 06-09-2020 at 10:35 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 06-09-2020, 10:35 AM   #19
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I suspect this is going to occur but let's see what happens in a few hours at the press conference.
He isn't going to make anyone happy today. Its a lose lose scenario. If he lifts lock down too soon, then he goes against medical advice. If he keeps lock down for a bit longer, he isn't listening to business stakeholders.

Victoria University came out with data modelling today suggesting that any thing above 7 on a rolling 14 day average risks a 3rd wave before Christmas. Part of the problem is contact tracing can't be done quick enough. What is NSW's rolling 14 day average?

At the start of the week, our pandemic response team at work had already resigned themselves for another 2 weeks of stage 4. I think there will be some very small concessions made, but not enough to make a big difference.
Old 06-09-2020, 12:23 PM   #20
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Victoria University came out with data modelling today suggesting that any thing above 7 on a rolling 14 day average risks a 3rd wave before Christmas. Part of the problem is contact tracing can't be done quick enough. What is NSW's rolling 14 day average?
The NSW 14 day rolling average is currently 8.8 while Victoria is still 118. Even using a 7-day rolling average, Victoria is better with 91 but NSW is over 10.

If the target is really <7 then Victoria has a long way to go and my modelling shows that it would be late October before we got into single digits and NSW is probably equally marginal.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 06-09-2020, 12:44 PM   #21
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
The NSW 14 day rolling average is currently 8.8 while Victoria is still 118. Even using a 7-day rolling average, Victoria is better with 91 but NSW is over 10.

If the target is really &lt;7 then Victoria has a long way to go and my modelling shows that it would be late October before we got into single digits and NSW is probably equally marginal.
7 isn't a quoted target, it was just what the modelling suggested. I think the modelling makes a number of assumptions e.g. Contact tracing is not improved. I have heard the number 10 being mentioned previously.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 06-09-2020, 12:27 PM   #22
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Edit:

Avi Yemini was arrested yesterday at the protests, posted the footage after being released then had VIC Police come to his house today about posting the footage on Twitter
Those poor police officers were probably scared of visiting Avi at night, knowing his background and military training.

Like I said earlier, class action law suits will be the buzz word in 2021.
4 users like this post:
Old 06-09-2020, 10:54 AM   #23
marty351

By, by, democracy pie...
Old 06-09-2020, 11:00 AM   #24
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

71 new cases for Australia and 11 deaths sees the CMR rise to 2.854% while active drop to 3,129. NSW recorded 5 cases; Queensland & SA recorded 1 case each, with the balance in Victoria. The weekly total for Victoria was down another 32% to 637 while the number of deaths increased to 148 thanks mostly to the previously missed data.

3 new cases and 1 deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.358% and active cases rise to 112.

The UK had 1,813 new cases and as we know they are now not counting their mortalities by the WHO guidelines we are going to ignore those figures.

Just under 54k new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,053 deaths sees CMR drop to 3.007% and active cases drop to 39.4% with the raw numbers actually dropping. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 27M with the last 1M taking only three days;
Global cases reached a new daily high with 300,459 new cases;
The USA completes 86M, India 47M and Russia 38M tests;
Asia records a new daily high of 116,050 new cases;

Costa Rica (1,240), Ukraine (2,836) and India (90,600) all recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 06-09-2020, 12:30 PM   #25
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I struggle to reconcile the disparities between countries and jurisdictions.

Today, BAU in Woolies; a good number of staff not wearing masks. Most customers not masked either. The hysteria of snarky snipes, pantomimes of conspicuously jumping away when one person thinks another too close, the sanitising door-greeter - all fading to nowt.

Last night I watched a five minute holiday video by Artur Tussik. He went to coastal resorts on the Baltic; one in Lithuania, the other Latvia. Again, pretty much BAU by the look of it, possibly less crowds but it was late summer. Negligible masks, the only signs of possible distance-keeping were more spaces between the hired sunbathing facilities on the beaches.
Old 06-09-2020, 01:07 PM   #26
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

The numbers of daily infections currently in VIC is too high for Stage 4 to be eased to Stage 3.

I would think VIC has to have case numbers close to what they were during Stage 2 to ease restrictions.
Old 06-09-2020, 02:28 PM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

So it seems the restrictions have no end date - even if everything goes to plan after 23/11 there's still restrictions on business.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:24 PM   #28
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So it seems the restrictions have no end date - even if everything goes to plan after 23/11 there's still restrictions on business.
A lot of the business down here is tourism, which is pretty much closed at present. If Vic's plan out of corona works (and I think it will) we will have very little/no infections by Christmas. Talking to WA based contacts, they have no virus in the community, and the community can't travel internationally (or state?).

Guess what - tourism is booming, rentals are completely booked out, they are going gangbusters.

A look at the SW of England, once restrictions were eased, showed absolute madness as coastal towns were completely booked out/over-run.

I predict this will happen for Vic tourism (coast, inland, mountains) as the virus numbers become very low, or it gets wiped out. 5 million people who will want to travel, and it might be that SA and NSW are still closed, and other states won't allow flights. I reckon I'm going to be flat stick from Xmas into after next year's Grand Finals, then it all starts again!
Old 06-09-2020, 02:39 PM   #29
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Landscape gardeners back to work in a week.

Just in time for Spring!
Old 06-09-2020, 04:28 PM   #30
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Closed Thread