Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 26-06-2007, 06:44 PM   #1
axelmasok
Starter Motor

Default Burning oil smell?

This might be old news to Focus fans but I am growing tired of the burning oil smell we get inside the car after driving for about 20min or so.
We have a Focus SR 2004 manual.
My parents have an '04 LX auto and it smells the same after a while and the folks have noticed it too.

Just today I had ours up on the hoist at the local mechanic to check for leaks again - not a drop. Oil filter surroundings are clean.

Is there any use bringing this car to Ford for a check (still under warranty)?

Anyone else out there know where the smell is coming from? It's definitely oil, more engine than gear oil. Not brakes or clutch either, nor coolant.
Thanks

axelmasok is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Have had my Focus for 4 years, and have never experienced or heard of your problem.

Definitely take it back to the dealer to check if you are still under warranty....surprised you haven't already. I don't think this is a common problem

(You and your folks don't drive with the handbrake half on do you???? LOL)
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 09:14 PM   #3
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Might be a stuffed cat??
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 10:45 PM   #4
axelmasok
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
(You and your folks don't drive with the handbrake half on do you???? LOL)
Sorry, nope. Like I said, I know handbrake/brake smell.

Stuffed Cat eh? You will have to explain that one because the only possibility I can think of is serious loss of engine oil which i would notice, smoke and or fire coming out the exhaust. There is no oil leak onto the cat housing either as I checked.
Old 27-06-2007, 12:39 AM   #5
melbzetec

Yes, but you only say a burning oil smell....which doesn't mean it is actually burning oil.

What More Revs is trying to suggest is that when a catalytic converter fails, it often changes the smell of the exhaust gases....which you may be interpreting as a "burning oil" smell

And the handbrake line was only a joke!
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 27-06-2007, 03:36 PM   #6
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Melb that's what I should have said..
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2007, 04:18 PM   #7
axelmasok
Starter Motor

I'm curious now. Can you tell me what sort of failure will result in a change of smell and what may cause it?
Old 27-06-2007, 07:08 PM   #8
melbzetec

Any failure of the cat can cause this change of smell. Often it is a rotten egg gas smell. Often caused by .....excessive heat in the cat... a bit of a common problem in Australian conditions....and once this happens, the ECU can dump more fuel into the system as the O2 sensors start to get a different reading, and this excess fuel will then make sure the cat is totally stuffed as it contminates the precious metals in the cat. Usually you would notice a lack of performance and start to hear rattles as the cat starts to die.

Best get to your dealer I'd say, especially since you are still in warranty.

And a reading of your ECU by the dealer will be more useful than a local bloke putting the car on the hoist. That will quickly tell you if you have a cat problem

Good Luck

Old 29-06-2007, 09:38 AM   #9
axelmasok
Starter Motor

Fair enough. Will do.