Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-05-2009, 02:36 PM   #1
tyler06

Default (wa) Beware counterfeit 50's

Hey guys check all your 50 dollar notes, as i have just been stung with a counterfeit from the bank. The counterfeits look identical to normal notes except below the pictures on either side they dont have the names of the person written. I am waitin for my pic to upload from my fone and i will post up a pic of wat to look for. Cheers Chris.
p.s i hope this is the right area.

tyler06 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler06
Hey guys check all your 50 dollar notes, as i have just been stung with a counterfeit from the bank. The counterfeits look identical to normal notes except below the pictures on either side they dont have the names of the person written. I am waitin for my pic to upload from my fone and i will post up a pic of wat to look for. Cheers Chris.
What you mean the *bank* gave you a counterfeit?. I knew banks were shonky but this puts an entirely new light on them ..
gz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
KITBAG

Quote:

Do you mean ATM or inside bank (teller)

Which Bank?
KITBAG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
jcxr
Tribal Elder

No they are not fake. Just a different batch. REPOST.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 02:48 PM   #5
tyler06

Smile

Well it was the teller who went through $1000 worth of them counting i mean and said they are counterfeits and we have been advised at our store to send the (if any) to the police, with them.

Btw i am not the police, the mint or a bank just letting u guys know what ive been told. :
Old 22-05-2009, 10:44 PM   #6
tyler06

Ok guys just went over this website
http://www.rba.gov.au/faq/currency.html#11

take note of this quote

11. Why are printed names of people featured on some currency notes and not others?
Printed names were added to the design of Australia’s currency notes to make it easier for the public to identify the famous Australians featured on notes. In 2002, printed names were added to $10 and $20 notes. In 2003 printed names were added to $50 notes, and in 2008 they were added to $100 notes. You can determine the year a note was manufactured by looking at the first two numbers of the serial number.

The presence or absence of a printed name is not a determining factor when assessing whether a note is genuine. Australia’s currency notes have many features designed to combat counterfeiting and the Reserve Bank of Australia has produced a Counterfeit Detection Guide to assist the public to detect and deal with counterfeit notes.

But there is heaps of stuff to determine it. Needless to say i will be going to the bank monday to set the silly twit of a teller straight and i cant check the one i had cause its already at the servo lol. Hope that helps.
Old 23-05-2009, 11:36 AM   #7
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Check the other security features etc - holograph, stripe et al.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 02:01 PM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I'm confused!

The Teller said it was counterfeit and they still gave it too you?
Old 23-05-2009, 05:05 PM   #9
tyler06

no i was giving her money for banking and she was giving me a change bag!
Old 23-05-2009, 05:21 PM   #10
gtfpv
GT

um err !!! lets see . the teller thought you had counterfit notes, but she was wrong , and either gave you change or refused . she did not ring the police , and you spent the fake notes at a servo !!!

i dont know why anyone would be confused reading this . are you sure you werent at an acid party, imagining the whole thing. ??
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2009, 11:08 PM   #11
blue_ute

it's completly true i live in wa and my mate got one the other day they were very well made the writing and size r the only difference but u gotta look hard
blue_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2009, 11:16 PM   #12
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I dont think we're disputing the truth about the fake 50's just the fact that the bank either...

Gave the OP one or

The bank said the OP had one but did nothing about it.
Old 24-05-2009, 11:44 PM   #13
blue_ute

they r very well made unless u have 2 u wouldn't notice my mate only noticed because he had a fake and a real one and the fake was slightly smaller the police said their already on top of it
blue_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #14
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

the point gasolane is making is that a teller is not going to let you leave the bank with a counterfeit note. pretty sure they would want to give it to the police, not let you spend it at the servo.
Old 25-05-2009, 01:01 PM   #15
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

If it was a problem, the Feds and the media would have been all over it by now. There was nothing in the press in WA about it over the weekend.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #16
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR06T
the point gasolane is making is that a teller is not going to let you leave the bank with a counterfeit note. pretty sure they would want to give it to the police, not let you spend it at the servo.
Not to mention the phone call telling the Boss/Wife that you are currently 'helping Police with their enquiries'
Old 25-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #17
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

There is an article about it in the Daily Telegraph in Sydney today. They are real.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 12:26 AM   #18
tyler06

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
um err !!! lets see . the teller thought you had counterfit notes, but she was wrong , and either gave you change or refused . she did not ring the police , and you spent the fake notes at a servo !!!

i dont know why anyone would be confused reading this . are you sure you werent at an acid party, imagining the whole thing. ??
Lets get something straight here ok. i didnt come on here for some smart*** to pick the crap out of me right! i come on here to give you guys a general warning ok, if u wanna be a smart*** then do it somewhere else and just so you know she told me to take it to the police and i didnt because unlike you (obviously) i obviously cant afford to loose $50 for jack all. OK! Next time i think i will help people out i wont ok!
Old 26-05-2009, 01:01 AM   #19
futura97
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I've heard about this elsewhere, so no doubting the truth behind it all. However, tyler06, its just your original post is a little confusing...

You said you went to the bank and THEY gave YOU a counterfeit $50 note then told you to go to the police with it? Or did YOU go to the BANK and want change / deposit it and get told it was counterfeit?

Either way, if you can unload it easily enough (which it is...) then really theres no real problem for us - unless you want to bank it.

Thanks tyler for the heads up either way
futura97 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 11:54 AM   #20
tyler06

Quote:
no i was giving her money for banking and she was giving me a change bag!
This was supposed to clear that up but hey obviously i didnt make it clear. I was giving her $50 notes she was giving me change. Hope that clears that up.
Old 27-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #21
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
This was supposed to clear that up but hey obviously i didnt make it clear. I was giving her $50 notes she was giving me change. Hope that clears that up.
Kinda cleared it up. But if she left you keep it it was not a fake. If it was a fake she would be obliged to keep it, notify her manager and the police.
Old 27-05-2009, 05:10 PM   #22
tyler06

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Kinda cleared it up. But if she left you keep it it was not a fake. If it was a fake she would be obliged to keep it, notify her manager and the police.
Thats wat i would have thought too but no. Im just telling you wat happened ok, nothing more. I know wat she said to me and i definately dont go round making up bs stories like it sounds like some people think i do. Not havin a go at anyone just dont like bein called a liar is all and if im not then it doesnt matter.
Old 27-05-2009, 11:36 PM   #23
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was just in HJ's Duncraig and they were all in a flap because someone had just passed a fake $50, pity the poor kid on the till that took it.
Old 28-05-2009, 10:59 AM   #24
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so you knowingly passed what you belived to be counterfeit money ? that makes you guilty of a federal offence and liable to prison time . the excuse " I can't afford to loose $50 " makes you no less a criminal for your actions and would not lessen the sentence you received. fortunatly for you it sounds like they were real and just part of a false counterfeit warning

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 01:48 PM   #25
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

With respect to tyler06 who gave us the heads up about the $50s, could someone PLEASE point out a site/newspaper article thats says that there really are fake 50's out there.

Seeing as it's been a week since the first post and nothing has been heard on the radio or other media, it might be like the RBA says.

They AINT fake. Just different!
Old 29-05-2009, 06:12 PM   #26
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_ute
they r very well made unless u have 2 u wouldn't notice my mate only noticed because he had a fake and a real one and the fake was slightly smaller the police said their already on top of it
He had TWO FIFTIES???

Man, talk about living the high life!

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 06:16 PM   #27
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
He had TWO FIFTIES???

Man, talk about living the high life!