Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-04-2006, 12:40 PM   #61
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Very good , i am very pleased with the results so far , considering it has cost me nothing except a bit of my time . Seemed moving the 2 intakes to behind the grill next to scoop has improved things somewhat. When i originally just had just the scoop i noticed just mainlly a fuel saving , then when i added the 2 extra intakes but had them sucking from behind the lights i noted much better throttle response and was able to smoke the rear wheels / which it wouldn't do before - but i also noticed noted that it was back to being a fuel pig ! .
Since now moving the extra 2 intake pipes so they suck from behind the grill i have noted even a 'slightly' better again throttle response, it doesn't seem to be as much of a fuel pig again now and it also seemed to of help it get to redline a bit faster in the mid to higher rev range (which i had seemed to have lost/dropped a bit previously when drawing the air from behind the lights).
Also alot more punch now when the auto is changing gears, almost like a whack up the rear end from another car ! . The induction noise also increased a bit more again too.
I'll have to get it on a dyno and block my extra intakes and so forth /get a reading / then unblock them and compare the results ... to get any real kinda spot on kw gain , i definatelly think they has been a tadd though, it seems too noticable while driving it compared to before, specially when i blocked my extra intakes and removed the scoop just to see what it was like standard again ( making sure it wasn't all in my head ..lol ).
As far as this mod goes , im happy with it and it's finished for now ( except maybe a pod filter modded to fit inside the airbox next ) , but i think i have gone as far as i can for now with the rest of the car being stock ! , maybe exhaust next then a remap to change vac levels and air/fuel mixture etc etc .. we'll see ..
I tried to get a few pics but its overcast today and my camera hasn't got a flash , all very black around the actuall airbox itself and pics didnt show anyhting, i got a 'few' pics where u can just see a bit of the piping and where it runs , i added a few lines to give the idea too , both the extra pipes come out of the front bottom of the airbox ( directly behind the headlights ) , to get pipes to fit through the small gap ( where i took out the 1 screw and folded back the black plastic flap between the lights and the grill ) i had to run them 1 on top of the other, the bottom pipe comes all the way out to behind the grill and faces foward into the airflow next to the scoop, the other pipe ontop of the bottom pipe is about 1.5" inches shorter and sits futher back just a bit of the bottom pipe. Here's some 'crappy' picture anyway to give you an idea , ill try get some better pics soon ;) .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg airbox02.jpg (20.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg airbox03.jpg (15.6 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg airbox04.jpg (20.6 KB, 59 views)

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 03:33 PM   #62
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Man you've been busy, a little tinker here, a little tinker there!

GK
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 03:45 PM   #63
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Im Excited , Good Work Mate

Cheers
Daniel

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 06:45 PM   #64
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Cheers fellas , oh i also forgot to mention before the drop in temperature in the airbox ( i've had a thermometer gaffa taped inside the airbox the last few days while testing ) . With the pipes sucking air from behind the lights i managed to lower the airbox temp by around roughlly 8 degrees ( nearlly nothing of a night with the lights on ! , the lights seemed to heat the air to much behind the lights when they were on) , since moving the extra 2 intake pipes to behind the grill next to the scoop it has dropped about another 6 degrees , total now of roughly 14 degrees cooler in the airbox than standard, and not effected by the heat from the headlights of a night no more.

Old 10-04-2006, 06:58 PM   #65
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
Cheers fellas , oh i also forgot to mention before the drop in temperature in the airbox ( i've had a thermometer gaffa taped inside the airbox the last few days while testing ) . With the pipes sucking air from behind the lights i managed to lower the airbox temp by around roughlly 8 degrees ( nearlly nothing of a night with the lights on ! , the lights seemed to heat the air to much behind the lights when they were on) , since moving the extra 2 intake pipes to behind the grill next to the scoop it has dropped about another 6 degrees , total now of roughly 14 degrees cooler in the airbox than standard, and not effected by the heat from the headlights of a night no more.
What's the expected outcome of this cooler air do you think? If the air is cooler, isn't it denser? Would this affect mixture in any way do you think?

I don't know much about this really, just thinking out aloud!

GK
Old 10-04-2006, 07:12 PM   #66
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

The outcome of the cooler air is the above advantages i mentioned i have gained , slight increase in power in the lower rev range and also much better fuel consumption. Drive your car on a cold morning and compare it to driving it on a hot afternoon , u'de get the idea of the effects gained sorta ;) . As far as the mixture , it remains the same , just now that it can get the air a little easier and faster it allows it to mix more air and fuel a tadd faster ( at the same ratio though as standard ) giving the better throttle response . ;) ,
also it's been noted in the past that cooler air has a better combustion ,
hope this explains it a bit for ya , i tried to keep the explination as simple as possible , bit more to it really but thats the general idea ;) .

Old 11-04-2006, 09:48 AM   #67
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

The colder & therefor The denser the air, the more Oxygen particles in there for the same volume of air. Fire needs 3 things, Oxygen, a fuel source & an ignition source. Oxygen is a very very flamable substance, the more oxygen in the cylinder the more efficient combustion, & Better & bigger the bang, therefore more power, but also reguires less energy due to a much more efficient fuel burn, and therefore a saving in economy.

Or so is my understanding of it.

As XR6-VCT-2000 stated above, take your car for a spin in the cold air of the night, or very early in the morning in cold/dense air, as apposed to in the afternoon in much warmer air conditions, and you will be able to feel the difference in performance between the two.
TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 09:52 AM   #68
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by autickfordfairmont
The colder & therefor The denser the air, the more Oxygen particles in there for the same volume of air. Fire needs 3 things, Oxygen, a fuel source & an ignition source. Oxygen is a very very flamable substance, the more oxygen in the cylinder the more efficient combustion, & Better & bigger the bang, therefore more power, but also reguires less energy due to a much more efficient fuel burn, and therefore a saving in economy.

Or so is my understanding of it.

As XR6-VCT-2000 stated above, take your car for a spin in the cold air of the night, or very early in the morning in cold/dense air, as apposed to in the afternoon in much warmer air conditions, and you will be able to feel the difference in performance between the two.

Spot on ;) .

Old 11-04-2006, 10:46 AM   #69
GK
Walking with God

Thanks for the short Science lessons fellas!

I'm aware of the car running much better in the cooler air, motorbike as well, just wondering what some of the science behind it was.

Cheers,

GK