Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 11-09-2008, 08:08 PM   #1
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Default Power Steering Fluid

Hey Guys and Gals,

I've a 2002 Focus, and noticed my power steering fluid down. I've had a bit of a search and found that all companys recommend going straight to FORD for the power steering fluid. Can anyone enlighten me with a product i can just buy to top up my res as i don't want to have to go into my Ford dealer.

Thanks
Aaron

ivorya is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 01:43 AM   #2
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Mate it's only $10 for a bottle of Ford Power steering fluid, possibly less if the Dealer just tops you up with a smaller amount from an already open bottle. From memory the bottle is 500mL I think.

Might as well get the correct spec fluid and at that price, save yourself the time and hassle and go straight to Ford.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

I've done the search of products, and there is nothing that comes close. Buy the Ford fluid. You get it from the Parts Department....don't have to even speak to the service guys
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Hey guys thanx for the replys,

I finally went and bought some fluid from FORD. $11.40 for 1L, didn't need much for a top up.

For reference if anybody else needs this info, The 2002 focus Power Steering uses Automatic Transmition Oil (Ford ESR-M2C163-A and Dextron IID).

Not sure how much the Dextron is when compared the Genuine stuff. Hope this may help someone else out there.
ivorya is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2008, 03:18 AM   #5
zetec
Zoom Zoom

They're one and the same mate. The Ford Power Steering Fluid (I forget the Part number, I think i'ts R126A or something like that) is a Dextron spec fluid, I think it's a global standard noew, or maybe just in the USA and hence where Ford gets it from. The ESR-M2C163A is just an engineering spec number I think.