Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 01-02-2006, 03:38 PM   #1
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Effects of modifications boss260!

One of the LS1 guys did this on another forum, it was quiet interesting and helpfull so I thought I'd shed some light on my mods sofar and the results for my Boss260.

Stage1

13.834@101.19mph 60' 2.182 street tyres (dunlop 9000)

Mods- pacemaker hedders difilipo X pipe redback 2 1/2 dual, herrod helix, BPT underdrives, SS cai, edit tuned by a Sydney tuner (234rwkw).
Race weight- 1862kg (inc driver)

That was the best i could get out of her on street tyres still a bit green in the launch department.

stage2

13.581@102.21mph 60' 2.025

New mods- MT ET streets, mal wood clutch stage2.
Race weight-1862kg (inc driver)

New tyres helps with 60' times hence dropping my ET by .25 also new clutch helped to.

Stage3

13.361@102.91mph 60' 2.036 (NB: trap speeds were out at WSID on this day corrected to 105.6mph
Race weight-1862kg(inc driver)

New mods- generic tune by Bluepower/xtreme (236rwkw), GM ripshift.

The generic tune had similar power to old tune but showed much better 1/2 track times and mph than previous tune (more torque) also GM ripshift made me more consistant on gear changes.

Stage4

13.271@106.16 60' 1.966

New mods- custom tune done by chris from Bluepower
Race weight-1862kg (inc driver)
Custom tune didnt make a huge difference as air quality was not as good as when I did the 13.3 improvement was mainly due to better launch (1.966 60') but definate improvement from seat of pants feel though my ecconmy improved after custom tune.

Stage5

12.983@105.79mph 60' 1.817

New mods- 4.10 diff gears, remove tailgate.
Race weight-1831kg (inc driver)

With diff gears most of the gain was in my 60' (1.817) due to the extra torque from the 4.1's, air quality was ok around 1200ft RA.

Stage6

New mods- Bluepower cai, retune by chris (252rwkw), slicks/frontrunners less 51kg.
Race weight- 1780kg (inc driver)
No PB as yet due to hot summer temps the RA's have been through the roof but showing good potential for possible 12.8 or less. Heathcote 28th jan did a 13.14 with a 3184ft RA, am going to wait till cooler weather to see what she got in her, will keep you posted.

If anyone has comments of info to add about there boss etc go right ahead, I only did this so we can have more fast fords at the strip.

Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 05:12 PM   #2
gtfpv
GT

Mate I Think This Thread Is Great Thanks For The Info . I Suppose A Generic Tune Is A Flashtune Sent Up From Bluepower Racing In Which You Just Plug In And Go .if So Is It Suitable For A Stock 290 And Would You Recommend Thier Generic Tune? I Would Think A Custom Tune Would Be Better For Bolt On Mods . But A Generic Tune Would Be Suitable For Stock 290 Wouldnt It . Also I Am Aware The Tunes Are Differant On 290 Versus 260 . I Just Never Thought Of A Generic Tune . And Am Hesitant To Have The Car On A Dyno For A Day . As Only Some People Can Actually Tune A Car Without Creating Faults. Cheers.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 05:48 PM   #3
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
Mate I Think This Thread Is Great Thanks For The Info . I Suppose A Generic Tune Is A Flashtune Sent Up From Bluepower Racing In Which You Just Plug In And Go .if So Is It Suitable For A Stock 290 And Would You Recommend Thier Generic Tune? I Would Think A Custom Tune Would Be Better For Bolt On Mods . But A Generic Tune Would Be Suitable For Stock 290 Wouldnt It . Also I Am Aware The Tunes Are Differant On 290 Versus 260 . I Just Never Thought Of A Generic Tune . And Am Hesitant To Have The Car On A Dyno For A Day . As Only Some People Can Actually Tune A Car Without Creating Faults. Cheers.
Yeh gtfpv the generic tune was when I sent my flash box down to chris and he droped a conservitave tune into it after he saw a dyno/afr's sheet I sent down with the box as he knew what my mods were and it wasnt far off the mark,but custom tunes are better all round mods or no mods.
Generic tune- job 75% done, in some cases alot less.

custom tune- job 100% done

I have had generic tunes in the past from other tuners with not so good results, it depends alot on how much R&D the tuner has put into the boss 260/290 and knowing the amount of information/R&D Chris has about modded un modded 260/290's you can feel safe with his work, best would be to speak to chris himself so he can explain to you the right way to go about it.
Alot of companys can send you generic tunes like cappa,herrod,BPT just to name a few depends who you feel safe with.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:53 PM   #4
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowride260
Yeh gtfpv the generic tune was when I sent my flash box down to chris and he droped a conservitave tune into it after he saw a dyno/afr's sheet I sent down with the box as he knew what my mods were and it wasnt far off the mark,but custom tunes are better all round mods or no mods.
Generic tune- job 75% done, in some cases alot less.

custom tune- job 100% done

I have had generic tunes in the past from other tuners with not so good results, it depends alot on how much R&D the tuner has put into the boss 260/290 and knowing the amount of information/R&D Chris has about modded un modded 260/290's you can feel safe with his work, best would be to speak to chris himself so he can explain to you the right way to go about it.
Alot of companys can send you generic tunes like cappa,herrod,BPT just to name a few depends who you feel safe with.
thanks mate . i am very conservative and wouldnt just let anyone tune the car . and dont even know if i will get it tuned . if i did though it would be bluepower or intune .only from what i read here and get feedback . cheers.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 06:39 PM   #5
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Chris from bluepower appears to be having the best results with the boss 290 and 260, no other tuner (that I'm aware of) has come close to the track figures Chris has been acheiving

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 07:56 PM   #6
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
Chris from bluepower appears to be having the best results with the boss 290 and 260, no other tuner (that I'm aware of) has come close to the track figures Chris has been acheiving
Don't forget the baby of the fleet the 220....
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 09:03 PM   #7
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Good idea this thread Wade...a few months to cooler weather will see you smash your pb..

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 11:57 PM   #8
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

13.6 @ 105 mph on edit, helix block, large intake with K&N Pod, herrod underdrives, stock headers and cats with a 2 1/2" cat back. This result was on a track temp of 33 degrees. By the way it is a 260 Boss with a 4 spd auto and shift kit.
Not bad for so few mods but I think it has better than that in it when the temp drops.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:42 PM   #9
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Smile Wsid

13.56@102.02mph 2.057 60' best 60' 2.016 best mph 105.24 Herrod series 1 headers/exhaust SS CAI/BMC, BPT U/D Helix Dunlop SP9000 tyres CAPA tune - 247rwkw

13.29@108.11mph 1.974 60'(best ever) 0-100kph 5.4sec 0-160kph 11.9sec Herrod series 1 headers/exhaust SS CAI/BMC, BPT U/D Helix Toyo RA1 tyres Xtreme tune by Simon via post - approx 255rwkw

Supercharged for a few months, 0-100kph 4.83sec 0-160 9.3sec CAPA 5lb kit Herrod series 1 headers/exhaust - 276rwkw on dyno, approx 320rwkw(GTech estimate) of Dunlop SP9000 threading power on open road.

13.55@102.85mph 2.001 60' 0-100kph 5.7sec Herrod series 1 headers/exhaust SS CAI/factory air filter Toyo RA1 tyres stock tune - approx 220rwkw
Old 02-02-2006, 09:08 PM   #10
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Smile Wsid

Sorry, best 60' was 1.964.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:45 PM   #11
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Quote:

also GM ripshift made me more consistant on gear changes.

Hey Wade,

Isn't that the best product to fit to your car and get instant satisfaction. I reckon i have fitted about 10 or so in the last 2 or 3 months and every single person has raved about it.... :eclipsee_ :eclipsee_
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 12:01 AM   #12
X ORSMXR
missing the panther

Gez now lets see if my memory serves me well.....

well the car ran a 13.8 l think at 99 or 100 mph stock thats going back to 2003...

in 2005 l put the ss induction,helix,custom cats back and ran a 13.6 at heathcote with a total of 225 rwkw...

Then hooked up with Chris from Blue Power same time last year and we got the car down the quarter with a 13.1 with street tyres//mods difillipo exractors and cats/custom zorst/helix/under drives/improved ss induction/edit with a power output of 240 rwkw......

Now l have more power and a whole lot better cold air setup so we will see what this year has to offer and mind you all these runs have been around 25-30 degree days so we will see what the cold air delivers....

Cheers Chris
Old 03-02-2006, 12:09 AM   #13
rodderz

The good thing about the strip is you can see what mods do what, particularly to your mph

I didnt run mine stock but got a 13.62@103 with full difiilipo zorst and SS induction, and a 13.61@101 in Ray's (Grey Ghost) XR8 sedan with pacey headers and BPT induction. Put BPT underdrives on my ute and a short shift and got a 13.58, then added a unichip and got a 13.5@106 and gained 3mph, this was back in 2003, only raced once since then at last years heathcote meet. I think using nitto's on the 13.5 night didnt do the clutch the world of good and it's been suffering since!
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 08:34 AM   #14
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Thumbs up Mods

G'day Rod,
Yeh, one thing that stands out is how consistant the times and speeds are. A mass produced bunch of cars and crazy bunch of guys, the times and speeds are similar when you try to compare apples with apples.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:04 PM   #15
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig@ACE
Hey Wade,

Isn't that the best product to fit to your car and get instant satisfaction. I reckon i have fitted about 10 or so in the last 2 or 3 months and every single person has raved about it.... :eclipsee_ :eclipsee_
Yeh no complaints here mate great mod and eleminated those anoying missed 3rd gear changes.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:06 PM   #16
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
The good thing about the strip is you can see what mods do what, particularly to your mph

I didnt run mine stock but got a 13.62@103 with full difiilipo zorst and SS induction, and a 13.61@101 in Ray's (Grey Ghost) XR8 sedan with pacey headers and BPT induction. Put BPT underdrives on my ute and a short shift and got a 13.58, then added a unichip and got a 13.5@106 and gained 3mph, this was back in 2003, only raced once since then at last years heathcote meet. I think using nitto's on the 13.5 night didnt do the clutch the world of good and it's been suffering since!
On your best time Rod (13.51) what was your 60'?
Old 03-02-2006, 06:00 PM   #17
rodderz

2.02 from memory wade, I ran 2 of these, that was on nitto's and i did the same time on the dunlops with I think 2.05 60'

Tempted to give it another rattle when the clutch is replaced but probably wont as it'll be up for sale soon enough
Old 03-02-2006, 06:06 PM   #18
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
2.02 from memory wade, I ran 2 of these, that was on nitto's and i did the same time on the dunlops with I think 2.05 60'

Tempted to give it another rattle when the clutch is replaced but probably wont as it'll be up for sale soon enough
Mate get that into the high 1.9's and it will do a good number providing you dont have that wollies fuel in it. :
Old 04-02-2006, 12:03 AM   #19
rodderz

One day I'll be back into it again...I had major withdrawals last weekend watching you guys race up and down the strip...new business & family comes 1st and if the money allows it later on i'll be back with a grunter of some sort to get back into it! (maybe I'll have to talk to the missus into a turbo territory and pull a few swerves to get it pumping out 300rwkw's)
Old 04-02-2006, 12:38 PM   #20
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Mate get that into the high 1.9's and it will do a good number providing you dont have that wollies fuel in it. :
If i can nail a 2.oo 6oft on street rubber i'll be a happy camper.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 01:54 PM   #21
rodderz

What clutch you getting leigh?
Old 04-02-2006, 02:35 PM   #22
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
Mate I Think This Thread Is Great Thanks For The Info . I Suppose A Generic Tune Is A Flashtune Sent Up From Bluepower Racing In Which You Just Plug In And Go .if So Is It Suitable For A Stock 290 And Would You Recommend Their Generic Tune? I Would Think A Custom Tune Would Be Better For Bolt On Mods . But A Generic Tune Would Be Suitable For Stock 290 Wouldn't It . Also I Am Aware The Tunes Are Different On 290 Versus 260 . I Just Never Thought Of A Generic Tune . And Am Hesitant To Have The Car On A Dyno For A Day . As Only Some People Can Actually Tune A Car Without Creating Faults. Cheers.
Gtfpv,,, You need to grow some BALLS..... Mate, I have one of Chris's generic tunes in my ute, One word, Awesome. My car idles better runs smoother and exellates much faster. Low range power is extremely impressive, I have usable power/torque from 1000rpm.. The difference between Chris's tune and the factory tune is unbelievable. every now and then I stick the factory tune back in to remind me what it was like (utter crap), I would almost say, undrivable.. absolutely no bottom power to take of with at the lights, I actually have to use more throttle to get my ute moving from a standing start......

In short I could not live with my ute with the standard tune, I would of set fire set fire to it by now with out the flash tune................ But when I called Chris and told him I want his tune, he was more then happy to help. the best thing about Chris's tune is,,,, It caused me to fall in love with my ute all over again, There was a point where I was going to get rid of it. But not any more........

GTFPV.... My advice to you is,,,, Grow some balls, stop hesitating, and just go ahead and bloody do it... and stop being so pedantic about you GT. Just mod it will you,,, I know you want to, but it seems that you continue to scare your self about the what if's..........

JUST DO IT

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 02:45 PM   #23
rodderz

Maybe the wife might find out too!

Once you mod it, tell her you changed the oil and got an update from Ford to save on fuel...
Old 04-02-2006, 02:52 PM   #24
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Once you mod it, tell her you changed the oil and got an update from Ford to save on fuel...
Save on fuel,,, Bwahahahahah......

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 04-02-2006, 02:54 PM   #25
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry about that Rod,,,,,,, it was my right foot that wrote that...

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 04-02-2006, 02:56 PM   #26
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Or just tell the truth, works every time. dont see the issue really, " havng the car custom tuned " end of story.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 04:02 PM   #27
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
Or just tell the truth, works every time. dont see the issue really, " havng the car custom tuned " end of story.
Yeh your right there Doc, when I do a mod (ie spend money on the bloody car) she can tell straight away "what have you do now wade" with a big grin I say come for a ride and I'll show ya, she says no thanks. :hihi:
But as you said tell the truth always works the best well save any arguments later.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:42 PM   #28
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
What clutch you getting leigh?
I got a an extreme clutch put. Not sure of the particulars on it but thats what they put in. Next round of mods i have planned will call for a stg 6 Mal woods clutch.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:51 PM   #29
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
Atleast we know the Doc wears the pants in his relationship. Lol
Old 04-02-2006, 09:19 PM   #30
hot460

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba
Gtfpv,,, You need to grow some BALLS..... Mate,
In short I could not live with my ute with the standard tune, I would of set fire set fire to it by now with out the flash tune................ But when I called Chris and told him I want his tune, he was more then happy to help. the best thing about Chris's tune is,,,, It caused me to fall in love with my ute all over again, There was a point where I was going to get rid of it. But not any more........

JUST DO IT
I couldn't agree more!
I made the trip from sydney to melb last week for one of Chris's tunes. mate my ute feels so much stronger in all aspects! The only thing i wish i could have changed, was the 6months I stuffed around deciding to do it. :
My car has 187,000klms on it and feels so much better than it ever could out of the factory! :
The 1st thing I did when I got back to sydney was take it to my previous tuner and gave him the keys and said ''THRASH IT and tell me what you think.''
After he came back he had the biggest smile and said " FFFF....CK! What a huge difference. WOW!"
So my advice is JUST DO IT! you wont regret it mate.
Thanks Chris (Bluepower) just awesome

Orsm you guys are going to have too do a cruise to WSID in winter, Myv8 and I were the only XR8's out there on wed night! That car of yours is flyin. Good work mate.