Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-02-2006, 11:43 PM   #1
XR6Dan
Why??

Default Car Cleaning Handbook

I was trolling though some forums looking for info on how to keep the car looking good. I found a really great article on the LS1 forum, so I made a booklet out of it for my reference, and I thought that it might be usefull to some of you out there.

Get it here. (1.8Mb)

Enjoy.

XR6Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 01:18 AM   #2
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Dan
I was trolling though some forums looking for info on how to keep the car looking good. I found a really great article on the LS1 forum, so I made a booklet out of it for my reference, and I thought that it might be usefull to some of you out there.
Get it here. (1.8Mb)
Enjoy.
XR6Dan, It looks like you have spent some time to prepare your booklet which is fantastic.

I think it is important to keep in mind that this is only one view ( be it a good one ) and that for every car, there is a way of cleaning it.

Below is a few notes that offer different views and idea's and once again these are niether wrong or right.

but open and up for anyone to comment on. :
and follow with these thoughts as a way the guide could be improved and done so with that of improvement and not as a discouragement, what you have done is great.

To start with i think that washing a car with or suggesting baby shampoo ( even though it may be the ants pants ) is and perhaps could read different, there are many companies that spend big dollars into researching thier products and i doubt all of them can be overlooked, i also see that naming any product by brand also as having some bias, it may be better to write you will need a quality wash, MF towel , wash mitt etc.
This will allow the reader to chose from any product range / mix match to suit thier needs / budget.

Wash the tires and wheels first. If you wash the car body first, the water will dry and spot your car before you can
finish washing the tires and wheels.

this statement is not so true in the sense that when washing your car in my school once wet it always kept wet so it would not dry out.

I prefer sheepskin wash mitt for washing. This has a large number of fine filaments that draw dirt and grime away
from the surface being cleaned into their internal structure.

with this statement as with many it states i prefer, which is written by the origanal author and is only his / her view. most people now use microfibre wash mitt over lambs wool.

I use a final rinse of free-flowing water (nozzle off the hose)
allowing the water to sheet off the car.

This would need to be re written as states now have laws banning the washing of a car without nozzles etc so it would need to written in a way to suit all conditions

For stubborn problems on your paint, I recommend a tar and bug remover

once again this would depend on the stain and may not be the best approach, i spent saturday night repairing a cars paint where this was used for the wrong purpose / problem

Use a terry detailing towel (Meguairs detailing cloths) to dry your tires and wheels. Do not use your chamois or
good microfiber towels on the tires and wheels, as it will become soiled..

can be argued this is the best approach, it is best to use a specific colour coded MF cloth ( red ) to indicate this cloth is only used on rims and does not go into the wash with normal cloths, or used to clean any other part of the car, if i was to use a white terry cloth it could be easily picked up and rubbed on my car, but is a personal preferance.

with the tar and bug remover it does depend on how it is used but from a personal side it is better used during the wash raher than after the wash, but just me as it allows me to wash and nuetralise and bug spray with the wash when bugs are gone.

These are just a few things read at the start but the same vain would continue though out the article, however overall it is a very good example of keping a car up to speed and is a credit to the writer.

Pete

Last edited by DOC; 23-02-2006 at 01:26 AM.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 07:31 PM   #3
MRJUCY
Fordless

I see a lot of plagiarism of the much more in detail Autopia Guild to Detailing there
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post