Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-02-2006, 07:01 PM   #1
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Default 1st disappointing Ebay purchase...

Well, I bought a pair of bumpers for my XC off ebay- bargain price of $60.00 for the pair (rear is for a twin exhaust) which sounds ok. I didnt need the front one but was keen on the rear.
I phoned him up and asked about postage from Brissie to Syd- he said about $40 as he has just sent a similar one to Perth for the same amount by bus.
Turns out that it was $100.00 to Syd.....

Now, for $160.00 for these with overriders in "good condition for age, has few little marks on them" this would be still aceptable. I also asked if they needed rechroming and if they has any obvious dents in them. Answer was no on both accounts.
Upon collection, (40km away from my home, Villawood from Hornsby) the bloke at the Century Batteries place (nfi why they were delivered there) said that the delivery bloke just threw them off the truck which might explain some of the dents and scrapes.

However, there is NO way that they could bolt on to a freshly painted car due to large areas of chrome having been rubbed away over the years.

I wrote him an email explaining this in a nice way, just saying that I was a little disappointed but other than this, I spoke with him several times and he was really helpful????

Anyhoo, I havent left him any feedback, pos or neg but I need to get this bumper fixed. Does anyone know approx $$$ for rechroming? Some dents will need sorted too.

I have to do it now that I have the bloody thing but it isnt going to be a bargain buy any more. :gren: :

Any help would be much appreciated.

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 07:04 PM   #2
LUXO_8
windsor user

i had my first disapointing ebay purchase a few weeks back...
bought an old wheels magazine with the article on the launch of the "NEW XR falcon", paid my 34 bucks plus postage, only when i recieved the magazine it was missing the entire article (torn out).
emailed the guy, who was really good about it, and said to send him my bank details so he can refund my money

still......disapointed about it
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 07:06 PM   #3
stiddy
Banned

I have a mate that chrome dips stuff..
he can do mag wheels for $30-50, I'll ask him if and how much he can do the bumpers if you want..

Windsor Area in Sydney to by the way..

Sucks on what happened though..
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 07:12 PM   #4
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

My dissapointing ebay purchase was a jetsons dvd for $70. We never received it and the person who sold it dissapeared.

We went through all the right chanels and by the time ebay had responded, it had run out of time to get the money back.

70 bucks lost and a birthday present that never was.
Old 22-02-2006, 07:13 PM   #5
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Stiddy- I'd be so happy to hear anything that could help...Windsor is no problem at all and I'm often there!

Drop me a line here or ring me on 0418 262 317 anytime.

Thanks heaps,

Jamie

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Old 22-02-2006, 07:15 PM   #6
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine was a few months back.. Guy went bankrupt and turned out he never had the stuff he was selling! Got all my cash back though at least... still took over a couple months to get it all sorted out.. Always use Paypal if its possible!

Last edited by Perana XR8; 22-02-2006 at 07:22 PM.
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 07:21 PM   #7
eed-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i bought a R/C blimp for my brother for his birthday september last year. It never turned up. Money went out of my account i never saw it again. Complained through ebay and they didn't car. ИИИИ EBAY
520rwhp
eed-250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 07:23 PM   #8
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

My friend paid $390 for a phone of ebay, the guy sent him 3 phones all at once. Not one of them was the one he ordered, for some reason he sent them back (The phones he sent him were the same, if not better, then the one he wanted...) so he could get the one he wanted, after he sent them back the guy never responded and he lost his $390, was a good laught at the time but.
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 07:26 PM   #9
Gilesie
You gotta pay to play

I brought a XA Coupe boot spoiler (aftermarket)
when it turned up it was an aftermarket HJ Monaro job (4 door)
and since it only cost me $20 I lived with it then resold for $50
and the bloke that picked it up for me is not a car person so he
did not know any different
Sorry to hear about your misfortune Jamie.

2003 Mazda Bravo (work truck)

1979 F100 Ambo
Gilesie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 07:39 PM   #10
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
Mine was a few months back.. Guy went bankrupt and turned out he never had the stuff he was selling! Got all my cash back though at least... still took over a couple months to get it all sorted out.. Always use Paypal if its possible!
I'd normally agree, but Paypal isnt without it faults. A couple years ago, my paypal account and about ten thousand others got hacked and our credit card details released. Paypal was forthcoming with information when it happened, but I had to get new credit cards and all.

I haven't used them since, and had never had a problem, bought many items for my cars thru people with lots of good ebay feedback thru other means. But in saying that, anything that has been said in this thread could happen to me too, but so far has been the most reliable way for me.

Timmeh
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 07:42 PM   #11
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I remember that Tim... Security is always an issue :S

Paypal has had its faults at times, but as far as getting money back form non recieved items it seems much easier than if it was dont by Direct Debit.

They do allow you to use a debit account in Aus now which would be a bit more secure than the Credit card though.

Yeah the guy that I had trouble with had 4000+ Good feedback and about 9 Bad feedback too..
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 07:52 PM   #12
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

I bought this off ebay:

'good condition for its age' - never listen to that comment. It was a peice of ИИИИ with all screw holes gone, everything was chipped and was generally rat ИИИИ, The one i had been meaning to replace was better. Sent it back and got $$$ refunded.
Old 22-02-2006, 07:54 PM   #13
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
i had my first disapointing ebay purchase a few weeks back...
bought an old wheels magazine with the article on the launch of the "NEW XR falcon", paid my 34 bucks plus postage, only when i recieved the magazine it was missing the entire article (torn out).
emailed the guy, who was really good about it, and said to send him my bank details so he can refund my money

still......disapointed about it

Yep, thats the problem- you might get your money back if you are lucky but you still dont have what you initially paid for!

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

Quote:
Old 22-02-2006, 08:28 PM   #14
max^power
Formerly au^ute

ahh good ole ebay! It's really gone down hill and i really dont see why people buy from it anymore. Dispite what ebay say, your money is not safe. The only way it can be safe is if you pickup the item and pay on delivery.

You could always complain to ebay, but unless they're losing money from these scammers, they aren't really interested.

Good luck mate, hope it works out for you.
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 08:35 PM   #15
AmmoJammo
Banned

I got a 25 kilogram amplifier, transported from Perth, to Adelaide for 30bux... you got ripped on shipping aswell mate...
AmmoJammo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 09:00 PM   #16
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've made about 80 purchases on ebay, both here and from overseas, and have not had a bad experience yet (touch wood in a major way!).

For those people buying older used items (ie 30 year old + car parts), my suggestion is to ask as many questions as possible and ask for multiple pics of the item so there are no nasty surprises. Anyone who is half legit will have no problems helping you out, and you also have the bonus of photo eveidence of what you were promised if things turn out badly.
FASTXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 10:45 PM   #17
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Be really aware of what you are buying, just because it looks like the part you want dosen't mean it is. Do some research as well, prices can vary widely. I've been on the lookout for a set of antilift wipers. these have been selling between $70 and $260.00. just by being patient and keeping an eye on ebay I got a set for $75.00 but it took a couple of months of looking. I've never had issues with people not delivering the goods but I have bought a couple of things that weren't what I thought they were.
regards,
Tote
Old 22-02-2006, 11:02 PM   #18
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

I reckon the biggest scam going on E-Bay is the postage costs some of these jokers try to charge.
ALWAYS get a quote from them using your postcode, and go fgrom there.
I haven't bid on some good auctions as the postage listed was way over the top compared to similar things I've had sent in the past.

Ed
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 11:07 PM   #19
XBCoupeGuy
XBCoupeGuy

With regards to shipping the bumper..

Anything over 140cm long cannot be sent by Australia Post.

I learnt this the hard way when it cost me over $100 to get a HQ Holden bumper from Dandenong to Adelaide.

The seller didn't even wrap it at all and obviously it arrived damaged.

He was reasonably helpful and said he would refund my money if I send it back.!!!

Another $100, I don't think so.

He accepted no responsibilty for failing to pack the item which I thought was disgusting.

I have bought and sold several items from ebay over the past few years and I think apart from that incidence, I have had one or two parts not arrive and one that I sent arrived broken.

Not a bad record in all.
XBCoupeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 11:09 PM   #20
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmoJammo
I got a 25 kilogram amplifier, transported from Perth, to Adelaide for 30bux... you got ripped on shipping aswell mate...

The problem with the bumpers was the dimensions and the fact that apparently, the buses werent taking such items any longer. He had a Toyota Landie Plastic bumper for sale with the postage advertised at $25.00 and it went to Sydney without issue a few weeks prior.

I also got quotes from the likes of Pack N' Send- $154.00 was their best price just to the depot.

I can deal with the overall price but the fact that I'm going to have to rechrome the rear one is what ИИИИes me right off.

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

Quote:
Old 22-02-2006, 11:09 PM   #21
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTXR
I've made about 80 purchases on ebay, both here and from overseas, and have not had a bad experience yet (touch wood in a major way!).

For those people buying older used items (ie 30 year old + car parts), my suggestion is to ask as many questions as possible and ask for multiple pics of the item so there are no nasty surprises. Anyone who is half legit will have no problems helping you out, and you also have the bonus of photo eveidence of what you were promised if things turn out badly.
This is true,I sell a lot of older parts on ebay,and if there is any damage etc,I will take a photo of the damaged area as well as the main.This is why I have 125+100% positive feedback (I've sold 3 cars on there in the last 4 months),I'd rather be honest and get what my item is worth and have a happy customer.
Old 23-02-2006, 12:00 AM   #22
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
I also got quotes from the likes of Pack N' Send- $154.00 was their best price just to the depot.
Pack and send have been reliable for me in the past for bigger items. I recommend them.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 12:52 AM   #23
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

i was going to make a thread on this today too, had my 1st bad experience on EBAY, bought an old CD single of a song i couldnt find anywhere, transfered cash on internet banking 30mins after auction ended, 3 weeks later no CD or email. i email the clown, he writes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by ******** on EBAY
hi there i dunno i will check if the payment was paid into my bank last week then it hasn't i haven't checked my bank as yet, i ahve been to busy running round getting laid. i felt like partying haha

thanks
i didnt give a crap about his personal life, i just wanted me CD !!! so sent EBAY a dispute email and that gave him the hurry up !
Old 23-02-2006, 01:10 AM   #24
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2nd hand car items seem to be hit and miss on ebay, I think ive got more dodgy parts than good stuff. A set of Chrome EL Door handles (one was dinged heaps of times by someone wearing a ring and the plastic outer was broken on two of them), velour sunvisors which the material was seperating, 'New' combination switch was scratched, a set of EL Ghia door trims which one was velour (from a Fairlane or EF Ghia?) and the rest were proper EL Ghia items.

But new stuff ive bought ive had no trouble with though, so I try to stick to that now.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 09:01 AM   #25
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
Pack and send have been reliable for me in the past for bigger items. I recommend them.

Likewise- I do recommend them but they were pricy. Comes back to you get what you pay for though!! One day I might learn!

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

Quote:
Old 23-02-2006, 10:58 AM   #26
'63Deluxe
Irregular Member

I recently got a quote to rechrome the bumpers on my XL - $400-$500ea. depending on the scratches etc. I will live with them as they are!

Ebay is full of scammers - don't trust anyone with your money unless you can afford to lose it.
'63Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 03:58 PM   #27
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishxc
Likewise- I do recommend them but they were pricy. Comes back to you get what you pay for though!! One day I might learn!
I sent a power steering pump and complete front-end linkage (you know, PS box, tie-rod ends and arms, etc) via Pack N Send the other month to a guy in Sydney. Dropped it off at the depot down the road from me and it arrived at the buyer's door 2 days later, all for $65.

If I sell anything bulky ever again, Pack N Send will be getting my business.

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 04:23 PM   #28
efgiar
rofl copter

ive only had 1 incident when the seller tried to tell me i didnt pay for a $150 item, because i did it over netbank i sent him the reciept, told him to send me my part and i wont do business with him again, he had 2 weeks to find the deposit and didnt.

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 04:39 PM   #29
XRated
Shoot.

Personally I love eBay. You just need to be careful who you buy from and if you're a seller, make sure you describe EVERYTHING - good and bad. I just dropped a set of shocks and springs off (15 mins drive to his mate's work) for a guy so he didn't have to pay postage.

My only bad experience was buying "new" aftershave.... I knew it was a fake instantly from the smell and said to refund my money or eBay would be notified. They refunded my money, I kept the rip-off crap and reported them to eBay.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 11:06 PM   #30
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

I recently got XC front and XC wagon rear rechromed $572 for both.
As a comparison it cost me $100 for a good wagon rear bumper though to suit rechroming.These cars are getting harder to find good bits so good bits cost $$$$$$$$$$.
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post