Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-07-2015, 10:43 PM   #1
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default NT to expand open limit trial

No fatalities or speed related injuries since trial introduced, so will be expanded to other 130kmh zones which will become unlimited.

Quote:
The habits of most people of the hundreds surveyed hadn't changed that dramatically with the open speed trial. What they found before they did the survey, most people drove between 130km/h and 140km/h – with the speed limits de-restricted they found the majority of people were sitting on the same speed.

But more than anything else, the trial has shown that Territory drivers have responded very positively

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/n...08-gi7u41.html
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2015, 12:07 AM   #2
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Default Re: NT to expand open limit trial

(Ford) Territory drivers. Love the Pun
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2015, 12:34 AM   #3
ThePursuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
(Ford) Territory drivers. Love the Pun
I'll put my hand up to fill the position.

I have not had the chance to venture down to test the open limits yet, I do believe there are some very good section of highway suitable for it. But a lot of sections that are terrible, even 130 is questionable. However, drive to the conditions, in a roadworthy vehicle, not intoxicated and you'll be fine.

I moved to the territory in 2008/2009 so missed the opens by a yr. I used to think this mob were crazy doing more than 110, but you do have to 'join them'. Will be interesting to see how close the open limit will be allowed to get to Darwin. Believe it used to be about 40km out from town. Now we're talking 1000km.

Let's see how long it takes for a dogooder to ruin it.

Current rides:
2020 79 Series GXL
2010 TTG
2011 Polaris RZR XP

Previous rides:
2004 RTV V8 Manual
2006 XR5
2004 Pursuit
1993 XG SPack

Work ride:
2014 Hilux SR 4x4

2015 Hilux SR 2x4
Back in a 2014 Hilux SR 4x4
2017 Hilux SR 4x4 - soon to get GTurbo upgrade with 50% more power over stock

2017 Ranger XLS 4x4

New toy arrived
Fully optioned MASTERPIECE Dynamic Family Caravan
ThePursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2015, 01:06 AM   #4
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone who's ever driven this road would very quickly understand the mind boggling stupidity of restricting drivers to 100 kph.
Just like a lot of roads in western and central NSW and Qld, flat, straight and very little traffic.
Worst case scenario you'll collect some wildlife or, in some areas livestock.
Visibility on the NT highway is excellent as they slash a very wide strip down each side.
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2015, 09:09 AM   #5
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought Every K Over was a Killer ????
Old 09-07-2015, 10:02 AM   #6
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic View Post
Anyone who's ever driven this road would very quickly understand the mind boggling stupidity of restricting drivers to 100 kph.
Just like a lot of roads in western and central NSW and Qld, flat, straight and very little traffic.
Rather like the frustration of coming back from a long time driving in Europe to the mind boggling stupidity of being restricted to 110 on many excellent stretches of motorway here!

It's interesting that they found most people found a happy balance at about 130-140. That's very much like what it is on motorways too. People tend to balance what they feel comfortable with against journey time and fuel consumption. This is the reality. I think authorities have the view that if they set a limit of 200 everybody will drive at 200. That's simply not the reality.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:45 AM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good point about the fuel economy , once you get to a certain speed point pushing the wind , fuel consumption increases big time.

i can remember as a young bloke doing many, many speedy country trips in lots of old cars,
there where some early 60`s era stand out vehicles that where particularly bad/ dangerous at any speed ,

the difference between the modern car and some of the dangerous cars of 40 or 50 odd years ago is just night and day.

Hume highway is pretty good melbourne outer end , although at peak times it does get a fair load of traffic on it until it thins down a bit up the highway, once out a bit they could easily ramp it up a bit to 120 /130 kph i reckon, its very boring as sitting on 110 .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2015, 12:05 PM   #8
GTMOND

Most people in all the years driving in the N.T would sit on 130-140 when the open limit was around.
There were the odd few that would pass you like you were sitting still. 140 makes the drive a bit more exciting, and certainly keeps your attention levels up. It's a win win IMO.
GTMOND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2015, 02:13 PM   #9
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I would be very surprised if the (//) went north of Katherine. But steady road works are making it more likely it will extend from Kulgera to South of Katherine. I have driven and ridden the open sections a few times now. Usually at 140 in the car and 160 on the bike. Other than a grey nomad with VIC plates making a random U turn for nor apparent reason I have had no problems at all.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2015, 09:19 PM   #10
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Good point about the fuel economy , once you get to a certain speed point pushing the wind , fuel consumption increases big time.

i can remember as a young bloke doing many, many speedy country trips in lots of old cars,
there where some early 60`s era stand out vehicles that where particularly bad/ dangerous at any speed ,

the difference between the modern car and some of the dangerous cars of 40 or 50 odd years ago is just night and day.

Hume highway is pretty good melbourne outer end , although at peak times it does get a fair load of traffic on it until it thins down a bit up the highway, once out a bit they could easily ramp it up a bit to 120 /130 kph i reckon, its very boring as sitting on 110 .
Not everybody drives on a road in peak times. Setting a speed limit based on that is retarded.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2015, 12:25 AM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2 View Post
Not everybody drives on a road in peak times. Setting a speed limit based on that is retarded.
that may or may not be the case, but i think you have to look at each road on its own merits.
im not speaking for all roads , and im not sure how much you driven the hume highway otherwise known as (sesame street) among truck drivers,

but me personally , i wouldn't like to up the speed limit close to melbourne, because at peak times when there's a crowd and only two lanes to choose from out bound or inbound or late sundays when the holiday crowd is coming home,
it gets to be very heavy with traffic , and you will get the odd boofheads that sit at high speed up one another's clacka and make with the dangerous brocky passing manoeuvre because they are too impatient or they are just boofheads.

the unfortunate fact is that it only takes one dill to create a multi car pile up and give us snails pace speed limits we have , and that is why the road traffic dudes cater speeds to the lowest possible denominator.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2015, 04:49 PM   #12
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
that may or may not be the case, but i think you have to look at each road on its own merits.
im not speaking for all roads , and im not sure how much you driven the hume highway otherwise known as (sesame street) among truck drivers,

but me personally , i wouldn't like to up the speed limit close to melbourne, because at peak times when there's a crowd and only two lanes to choose from out bound or inbound or late sundays when the holiday crowd is coming home,
it gets to be very heavy with traffic , and you will get the odd boofheads that sit at high speed up one another's clacka and make with the dangerous brocky passing manoeuvre because they are too impatient or they are just boofheads.

the unfortunate fact is that it only takes one dill to create a multi car pile up and give us snails pace speed limits we have , and that is why the road traffic dudes cater speeds to the lowest possible denominator.

These same sort of roads exist in more populous cities of Europe, and yes they can slow down at times. However when it is not so busy it is flowing at 150km/h+, and the 80km/h restricted trucks trundle in the slow lane. The slow speed limits here often mean trucks are the fastest thing on the road, and that is crazy.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2015, 09:02 PM   #13
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Always thought the Barrier highway would be a good for some unlimited stretches. The parts I worked on we did to a very high standard in terms of sealed shoulder width. and when I say unlimited I mean in terms of letting traffic flow determine speed.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2015, 04:17 PM   #14
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

I still can not get over the fact that in this Nanny State of a Country we have open speed limits in specific areas. That is just beyond belief that this is actually being allowed and I applaud the person who came up with this.