Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Would you use das sudschleife
Hell yes and would drive at an appropriate speed for conditions just like the autobahns 63 75.00%
Maybe if the toll were cheaper, $100 could buy me 2 new tyres 17 20.24%
Yes but I would only drive at 110km/h, over that is too dangerous 0 0%
No it would be too dangerous/expensive, I prefer to drive with trucks, caravans and camrys 4 4.76%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Das sudschleife (yet another bloody hypothetical)

With all the cost savings in privatisation GovCo decided to sell off the Hume and Pacifc highways.

The winning bidder "FlapCo" did a deal in that we (oops I mean they) would maintain the existing infrastructure if we (oops I mean they again) could build an unlimited speed super highway between Melbourne and Brisbane via Sydney. This road is commonwealth land and therefore exempt from Vic, NSW or QLD road rules.

The super highway used no public servants in its design nor government contractors in it construction so was completed several years early and less than half of budget. It was designed by the best german engineers and exceeds the safety standards of any other road in Australia when traveling at 250km/h. (i.e. it is designed to be safer at 250 than any Vic or NSW road at 110).

The rules of our (I mean their) highway are simple.

No vehicles over 2 tonnes kerb weight, trailers of any kind, over 10 years old, less than ANCAP 4 stars or capable of traveling at 160km/h easily.

Toll is $100 per 24 hrs and there are only single exits and entrances at major cities on the way.

The existing roads are still there for the use of trucks, buses, caravans, camrys, 4WDs and those who do not want to pay $100 or go fast.

Would you use it and if so how would you drive on it?

P.S. this is hypothetical so please don't crap on about "it can never happen" or "we'll all be killed" or whatever.

flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
prydey
Rob

hmm, no vehicle over 2tonne? most fpv's with a tank of juice, and average size driver would crack the 2tonne. i presume by kerb weight you mean 'unladen'?

didn't vote as i live in adelaide and rarely travel in that neck of the woods.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would want to pay less than $100 and would do 200 kph been years since I have been able to do that speed
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
fordv8!

less toll but would be great
fordv8! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 06:44 PM   #5
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Melbourne to brissie on 1 tanka gas
Its illegal to ride a pushie on the highway isnt it

Hearts in the right place i suppose
But heres another hyperthetical for ya
The super highway makes alot of money,its then sold on to the highest bidder,fees jacked up, then sold on again and so on

Im sure the story bridge in brissie has been payed for over and over many times,
but the toll keeps increasing

If theres money to be made or people to rip of,
the government have their finger in there somewhere
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #6
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Between the toll and fuel, you may as well fly.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #7
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
Melbourne to brissie on 1 tanka gas
Its illegal to ride a pushie on the highway isnt it

Hearts in the right place i suppose
But heres another hyperthetical for ya
The super highway makes alot of money,its then sold on to the highest bidder,fees jacked up, then sold on again and so on

Im sure the story bridge in brissie has been payed for over and over many times,
but the toll keeps increasing

If theres money to be made or people to rip of,
the government have their finger in there somewhere
The CEO of "FlapCo" is a grumpy old bugger who would rather annoy Harold Scruby, Monash and the state government transport fairies than sell for a profit, after all no amount of money can not buy this much happiness .

The 2t limit is an easier way of saying no trucks, buses, giant 4wds or other "velocity or mass challenged" vehicles.

It is for passenger cars traveling between the cities quickly and safely.
Old 25-09-2010, 06:55 PM   #8
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

I probably wouldn't use it because it will be full of People in Corollas and Yaris' doing 100.....Just like the current hume.

There are still plenty of stupid drivers with lots of money who would think that paying the extra $100 would get them there faster even if they do the same speeds.

I can;t imagine a Suzuki Alto would be very safe at those speeds.

Nit-picking aside, If I was in say a new Falcon, and as I dont do the trip very often had the money, I would probably use it, and without going stupid would probably sit around 150-160 depending on the conditions.

Assuming they specifically built it to be the fastest trip you could be saving 4 or more hours.
If It was there and I knew it would save me alot of time I would probably make the trip more often. But at $100 for 24hours you could fly in an out if you planned on being there longer then a day. Sure you wont have a car when you get there but then you wont be paying for fuel either and the trips only a few hours.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 06:57 PM   #9
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
Between the toll and fuel, you may as well fly.
Hmm, you can get 4 airfares between Mel and either Syd or Bris including all your luggage and then have a hire car available for a couple of hundred dollars?

You forget that the $100 air fares are 1 person only and limited luggage.

This road is not for day trippers with the exception of those who may live along the route.
Old 25-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #10
The Monty
Just slidin'

No toll on the Story Bridge in Brisbane. Unless you mean of course the Gateway Bridge ;)

Would I use it? If i had the car, yes. I wouldnt mind the toll either.
Are all the prerequisites fair, yes, I think so.
You should also have to do an extra exam when doing your driving test to be able to qualify to use it.
Old 25-09-2010, 07:08 PM   #11
Scott

Yep, and I'd sell the Lexus and jump back into an FPV in a heartbeat. Would make for a cheap and easy holiday in my opinion - useless for work but great for holidays.

I'd be on, prob sitting around 170-180 with passengers, 190-200 by myself - on a perfect day.

Hell, I'd use it at 110km/h just to cap my exposure to speeding tickets!
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 07:12 PM   #12
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Hmm, you can get 4 airfares between Mel and either Syd or Bris including all your luggage and then have a hire car available for a couple of hundred dollars?

You forget that the $100 air fares are 1 person only and limited luggage.

This road is not for day trippers with the exception of those who may live along the route.
Good point. didn't think of it that way.

Wonder what fuel consumption would be like at those speeds.

I suppose the company that owns the highway can also probably build service centres every x# of km along the route as well.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #13
dylancox

Quote:
This road is commonwealth land and therefore exempt from Vic, NSW or QLD road rules.
Since the roadway is accessible to the public, is it still subject to the road safety act? How about public liability if there was a death on the roads?

The scheme looks good, but can we have all Toyota vehicles excluded from the approved list
dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 07:29 PM   #14
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
Good point. didn't think of it that way.

Wonder what fuel consumption would be like at those speeds.

I suppose the company that owns the highway can also probably build service centres every x# of km along the route as well.
2003 BA GT-P.

110km/h 12-13l/100km or about 5 hrs/550km range
150km/h 15-16l/100km or about 3 hrs/450km range
180km/h 20-22l/100km or about 2 hrs or 360km range
200-220km/h about 30l/100km or 1hr/250km range
254km/h the fuel gauge moves faster than the tacho.....

Figures from various trips on (//) using mostly BP 95ron

Last edited by flappist; 25-09-2010 at 07:40 PM. Reason: buggered up the maths
Old 25-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #15
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancox
Since the roadway is accessible to the public, is it still subject to the road safety act? How about public liability if there was a death on the roads?

The scheme looks good, but can we have all Toyota vehicles excluded from the approved list
In the same way that military bases are accessible to the public.

It is a private road and before you can enter you need one of our (I mean their) dongles in your car. You signed all liability claims away when you bought it and the "Get stuffed ambulance chasing septic inspired lawyers act of 2011" that was part of the privatisation deal empowers us (I mean them) to tell any ambulance chasing septic inspired lawyers to get stuffed.

Hey we have the best GovCo money can buy.........

Toyota ISFs are not a bad car, they can get pretty close to any current FPV or HSV.

Those who are put off by the $100, what is the lowest speed camera fine you can be scammed with.......

Last edited by flappist; 25-09-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 25-09-2010, 07:42 PM   #16
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

would the police monitor this road? obviously not for speeding, but what about drunks or unlicensed drivers?
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 07:49 PM   #17
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
would the police monitor this road? obviously not for speeding, but what about drunks or unlicensed drivers?
No our (I mean their) private security officers would watch out for it.

We (I mean they) don't care if you are unlicensed as long as you know how to drive (although you may have a problem at the exits or entrances which are normal state roads) and if you are caught drunk or doing silly things the security officer are discouraged from shooting you in the forehead and selling your car in parts on ebay.

If they do it more than three times in a week they are counselled, have to write a "please explain" why they are wasting expensive ammunition and buy a slab of heavy for me (I mean the evil CEO).
Old 25-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #18
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

I'd drive on it, if the ban on 10+ yr old cars were lifted ;). $100 to drive however fast I like is a small price to pay and FlapCo. would be my best friend
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 07:59 PM   #19
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

I would use it, would not be a regular thing but would think about driving down to Sydney over flying. Would sit on 180 depending on conditions. Drove from LA to Vegas mostly between 150 and 180 which was great. Very comfortable, even with being on the wrong side of the car and with lane hogs and non indicating.

The entrance points to the Super Speedway should be like a toll point. Roll up to a window spend a few minutes with someone looking over the car and doing a breath and drug test, pay your toll then off you go. Servos should be set out like pit lanes with adequate entrance lane to slow down and shed your speed, then a long lane for re-joining the traffic with a few Ks to merge safely.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 08:05 PM   #20
Boosh Brus

I dont like the 10 year old rule. If the road is safe then what is wrong with driving say a 1999 M5 or 1992 NSX. People crash and burn at low speeds its about driving within the limits.

How about allowing older cars but not allowing drivers under 30 or anyone who has had a serious traffic offense in the last 10 years?
Boosh Brus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 08:06 PM   #21
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh to be able to this legally !. (not that i can afford it lol)
http://www.falcongt.com.au/HO-DTH.html
Old 25-09-2010, 08:08 PM   #22
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No good sorry
Whats this 2 tonne limit !!!
That would just about be a "no 4x4" at all
My 3 tonne GQ nissan can sit on 110 Kmh all day long
(oops can even accelorate from those speeds as well)
Fuel usage for me at them speeds (Lots per second )
monty,yeah i ment gateway,but ya get the picture

Oh Flap.Co
Youll either be rich fast or poor fast
Have ya done a hyperthetical as to how many would use it,and how much it would cost
Hypothetical LOTS
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 08:09 PM   #23
Boosh Brus

Personally I would use this for holidays up and down the coast. I am not interested in breaking the land speed record just want a smooth ride, minimising the time on the road and maximising the time on the beach.
Old 25-09-2010, 08:15 PM   #24
iliov
Banned

I would go on it to try and get my bf xr6 turbo to its top speed.
iliov is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 08:16 PM   #25
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

I'd be all for it if the 10yr rule and 4 star ancap rule didn't apply. If there was some sort of exemption you can apply for by having your car inspected/tested/whatever i'd be 100% supportive considering i know of plenty of cars 10yrs+ old (mine included) that are much safer and more capable than some cars only a couple of years old.
Old 25-09-2010, 08:18 PM   #26
dylancox

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
In the same way that military bases are accessible to the public.

It is a private road and before you can enter you need one of our (I mean their) dongles in your car. You signed all liability claims away when you bought it and the "Get stuffed ambulance chasing septic inspired lawyers act of 2011" that was part of the privatisation deal empowers us (I mean them) to tell any ambulance chasing septic inspired lawyers to get stuffed.

Hey we have the best GovCo money can buy.........

Toyota ISFs are not a bad car, they can get pretty close to any current FPV or HSV.

Those who are put off by the $100, what is the lowest speed camera fine you can be scammed with.......
On a similar token, can one purchase a massive block of land in the middle of nowhere and turn it into a massive burnout pad, destruction derby or something out of a petrolhead's wildest dreams?
dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 08:20 PM   #27
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The title should read "Die Sudschleife"....carry on.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 08:33 PM   #28
iliov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
The title should read "Die Sudschleife"....carry on.
Get with the modern times mate. We don't have to all be grandma's driving at 80kmph our whole life. Logically if we all drive faster we can get more done in terms of production and lifestyle.
iliov is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 08:36 PM   #29
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Is that on a part thereof arrangement? If so I could do Brisbane to canberra in 8 hrs which would cost me $33. I think that would have the advantage of providing financial incentive for everyone to keep traffic flowing. Even at $100 for the trip it would be worth it, my time is worth more than that. When does construction start, my typhoon is ready to go. Love your work Flappist. CEO of Flapco.
Old 25-09-2010, 08:38 PM   #30
Boosh Brus

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliov
Get with the modern times mate. We don't have to all be grandma's driving at 80kmph our whole life. Logically if we all drive faster we can get more done in terms of production and lifestyle.
I think he was saying "die" would be correct in the German language not "das"
But my German is near non-existent so maybe not.