Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 25-08-2020, 11:54 AM   #5701
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
Total death. For example around 2.5 million people died in the US last year.
Died because of ? if this is to be ignored as you suggest, doesn't that trend continue ?

Quote:
Total death. For example around 2.8 million people died in the US last year.
Number of deaths for leading causes of death:
Heart disease: 647,457
Cancer: 599,108
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 169,936
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383
Alzheimer’s disease: 121,404
Diabetes: 83,564
Influenza and Pneumonia: 55,672 170k this year already i.e. x 3 even with lockdown(s)
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis: 50,633
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,173

Quote:
...Maybe 2020 will spike, because it has prematurely claimed lives of some that were months off from death in the first place
Dobbed yourself in using the word 'some'

Quote:
The ongoing social impact and mental health issues that will result from these lockdowns will make Covid look like a walk in the park.
I originally thought lock down and do as you're told is a good solution but I do agree that there is likely/probably another way of dealing with this, locking away the people with 'issues', oldies or sick for long periods is sure to be doing damage
Old 25-08-2020, 12:27 PM   #5702
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

In other news:

The USA still makes up almost 25% of all diagnosed cases (24.88%) but now only 22% of the deaths.

Brazil has the next highest number of cases with 15.2% of cases and 14.1% of deaths.

India holds 3rd place for case numbers with 13.3% of global cases but the claimed number of deaths is only 7.2% of those globally. If correct, that would make an interesting case study. Their CMR is better than most countries in the world (including us) at 1.85% but they have more than twice the number of cases per 100k adults (314 v 138) and deaths per 100k adults (5.8 v 2.8) as Australia and have only tested 3.5% of the adult population compared to the 32% here.

From what we have gathered so far, more tests should equal more cases which would further lower the CMR but increase the number of cases per 100k which would lead me to believe that there might not be transparent reporting of the actual fatalities.

Observatio Facta Rotae

5 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2020, 12:31 PM   #5703
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
20,000+ Victorians have "signed up" to attend a protest next weekend against the restrictions.... WTF?!?! I see Avi is on twitter trying to drum up more support.

Whilst outdoor gatherings seem to be less risky, why would you risk it with only 2 weeks to go and we have the numbers trending where we need it to be?

I don't know how the gov is going to stop 20,000. Maybe temporarily stop PT and block all traffic into the city.

20,000 fines at $1,600 is a $32m payday
And 20,000 Court Elections would block up the Courts for a couple of years.
This user likes this post:
Old 25-08-2020, 12:50 PM   #5704
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
In other news:

The USA still makes up almost 25% of all diagnosed cases (24.88%) but now only 22% of the deaths.

Brazil has the next highest number of cases with 15.2% of cases and 14.1% of deaths.

India holds 3rd place for case numbers with 13.3% of global cases but the claimed number of deaths is only 7.2% of those globally. If correct, that would make an interesting case study. Their CMR is better than most countries in the world (including us) at 1.85% but they have more than twice the number of cases per 100k adults (314 v 138) and deaths per 100k adults (5.8 v 2.8) as Australia and have only tested 3.5% of the adult population compared to the 32% here.

From what we have gathered so far, more tests should equal more cases which would further lower the CMR but increase the number of cases per 100k which would lead me to believe that there might not be transparent reporting of the actual fatalities.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...66351120300139

Not sure if their treatments have changed since this article was released earlier in the year but here are India’s Covid treatment options.
Old 25-08-2020, 01:14 PM   #5705
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
I thought you liked them older.
Not decrepit
Old 25-08-2020, 01:18 PM   #5706
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U View Post
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...66351120300139

Not sure if their treatments have changed since this article was released earlier in the year but here are India’s Covid treatment options.
They're using HCQ, along with many other countries where this an off the shelf, no script required, medication. HCQ is being used in a lot of African countries as well. Basically, anywhere where malaria is present this drug is being used in conjunction with zinc.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2020, 01:34 PM   #5707
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

LNP to block the extention of SOE

Quote:
Victorian Opposition Leader Michael O'Brien said the Liberals and Nationals would be opposing the bill "with everything we've got" and described it as a "power grab".

"We understand that in a pandemic, sometimes there need to be restrictions. But there's a reason why the state of emergency, in law, is limited to six months," Mr O'Brien said.

"Because no premier, no politician, should have that degree of power over the lives of Victorians indefinitely."
Liberal Democrats and Shooters Farmers and Fishers to block extention of SOE

Quote:
Liberal Democrats MPs Tim Quilty and David Limbrick, who have been critical of the restrictions in Victoria, will also try to block the legislation.

Shooters, Farmers and Fishers MP Jeff Bourman says he "cannot support" the bill and thinks both houses of Parliament should have to pass any extensions to the state of emergency beyond September 13.

"With people in Melbourne being subject to an unprecedented curfew, we owe them regular oversight at least," he said.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-...ition/12590550

Thank Christ some of them have a spine to stand up for democracy.

Unfortunately Reason party and an independent will support a shorter extension.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2020, 01:39 PM   #5708
HIPO
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
They're using HCQ, along with many other countries where this an off the shelf, no script required, medication. HCQ is being used in a lot of African countries as well. Basically, anywhere where malaria is present this drug is being used in conjunction with zinc.
I'd use that hands down over newer options!
2 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2020, 01:56 PM   #5709
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Interesting..

Why would dry air help spread COVID-19?

When the air is drier, the aerosol particles shrink and can therefore stay suspended in the atmosphere for longer.

For every 1 per cent decrease in relative humidity, they found a 7 to 8 per cent increase in COVID-19 cases.
It suggested dry air shrinks the virus aerosol particles, allowing them to remain airborne for longer

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-...study/12587402
Old 25-08-2020, 01:59 PM   #5710
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo
Like throwing a sausage down a dry, dusty hallway
Old 25-08-2020, 02:03 PM   #5711
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Like throwing a sausage down a dry, dusty hallway
There's something for everyone I guess, niche market!
Old 25-08-2020, 02:50 PM   #5712
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

The places we go when there's time:

The ‘plandemic’ and weaponising of COVID-19

In the QAnon world, debates about the origin of the coronavirus, death rates, definition of cases, testing protocols and possible treatments are underpinned by a belief that governments are covering up the truth. Many believe the virus isn’t real or deadly, or it was deliberately introduced to hasten government control of populations.

Old 25-08-2020, 04:33 PM   #5713
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Between Mr G6ET and T3rminator you guys should be in the Plannedemic roll out as well after 666 and Franco's avatar in no3 controlling the switch
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
2 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2020, 05:02 PM   #5714
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Between Mr G6ET and T3rminator you guys should be in the Plannedemic roll out as well after 666 and Franco's avatar in no3 controlling the switch
I still haven't watched it yet Saw 5 minutes of the first one and lost interest. Some friends go crazy over it so I think I have heard the full story anyhow. Its just the same old stuff again. Like "Thrive" to explain GFC....actually I quite liked that one.
Old 25-08-2020, 05:22 PM   #5715
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The heartbreak of loving a conspiracy theorist
https://www.theage.com.au/national/t....html#comments

One thing I have noticed. The moment you put up a contrary view and they can't rebut with facts or evidence, their angrynometre goes up a notch and the name calling starts. Can't wait until we can have a beer again.
Old 25-08-2020, 06:32 PM   #5716
nstg8a

Quote:
https://www.theage.com.au/national/t....html#comments

One thing I have noticed. The moment you put up a contrary view and they can't rebut with facts or evidence, their angrynometre goes up a notch and the name calling starts. Can't wait until we can have a beer again.

To be fair that goes the other way too... you only have to suggest something darker than what the govt story is and someone is asking about your tinfoil hat....

Critical thinking is needed on both sides.
8 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2020, 08:04 PM   #5717
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
To be fair that goes the other way too... you only have to suggest something darker than what the govt story is and someone is asking about your tinfoil hat....

Critical thinking is needed on both sides.
Fair play.

In other news, I hear Dan is now considering 4 weekly State of Emergency extensions Ah yes, would be good to see MPs go back to work.
Old 25-08-2020, 08:46 PM   #5718
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
You're right, I didnt think about how easy it would be to spike our drinking water
Old 25-08-2020, 08:51 PM   #5719
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Quote:
I am confident world govt sh*t goes on but not necessarily to the detail they all circle jerk about

Last edited by Mr_G6ET; 25-08-2020 at 09:01 PM.
Old 25-08-2020, 09:56 PM   #5720
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
It's not an easy job particularly if they have dementia. It's not uncommon for aged care nurses to end up quite badly injured. I know of one nurse who had a dementia patient fall on her and she ended up with spinal and pelvis injuries, she wasn't able to work again, heck she's barely able to walk.

Have you seen people try and care for parents with dementia?
You betcha Leesa, my wife and I cared for her mother who had dementia....5 years
We then cared for her father who had an immune disorder then dementia....4 years
We cared for her brother who had lung cancer....2 years

We did not break any pelvises and did not get any injuries by looking after our family...we were very well prepared as two of my sons are doctors.

I hate nursing homes with a passion, hate the concept...and I hate the thinly veiled money grab that makes them inconsistent with "care".

Yeah..yeah...the nurses all mean well...but multinationals and shareholders run most of them and that makes me sick....it's all about money.

If our family were alive now they would not be at risk of Covid-19 infection as they would not be in a wholesale aged care meat factory....not on my watch.

Our family members died at home, with dignity.
7 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2020, 11:38 PM   #5721
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
we were very well prepared as two of my sons are doctors.

I hate nursing homes with a passion, hate the concept...and I hate the thinly veiled money grab that makes them inconsistent with "care".

Yeah..yeah...the nurses all mean well...but multinationals and shareholders run most of them and that makes me sick....it's all about money.
So anyone who's not as good as you deserves your criticism? Is that what you're saying?

I don't really understand your point of view, you hate aged care because it's a company that needs to operate at a profit and yet almost everything in the country operates the same way. Even the housing industry has been 'profitised', denying kids a chance at a decent life because everyone else wants to profit off it. Universities... for educating the next generation or a money making exercise from international students? Kids who can't often get full time work contracts anymore, instead having to take on casual jobs that offer them no stability or financial security. Farmers and producers selling their goods overseas because they'll sell for a better dollar over there than what australians can afford to pay.

Everything in this country is run for profit while also not considering ethics and it leads to ****ty lives for a lot of people. I'm not saying that aged care doesn't have its problems but why is your hatred limited to nusing homes when there are so many people in this country who are leading ****ty lives for often no other reason than they were born before the economic boom?

There are so many people in this country who can barely keep their head above water given how worse off current generations are compared to previous generations, and yet you criticise them for not being able to take care of their parents. It's pretty harsh to be honest.

4 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2020, 12:04 AM   #5722
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Well.. you know how they say Asians don't age like the rest of us...

50 and 70... hmmm probably not many around that age, they have the whole bloody market to themselves.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 26-08-2020, 12:34 AM   #5723
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_G6ET View Post
170k this year already i.e. x 3 even with lockdown(s)

I realise that this was not your point, but a tangential comment:

Remember when lockdowns first started what the intent was -

Lockdowns were meant to flatten the curve so as to not overwhelm the healthcare infrastructure.

Without advances in healthcare, lockdown, Masks, or Social distancing will not significantly reduce cases or deaths - it will just spread them more over time.
Old 26-08-2020, 12:40 AM   #5724
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Last edited by marty351; 01-02-2022 at 02:39 PM.
Old 26-08-2020, 12:45 AM   #5725
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
It's not an easy job particularly if they have dementia. It's not uncommon for aged care nurses to end up quite badly injured. I know of one nurse who had a dementia patient fall on her and she ended up with spinal and pelvis injuries, she wasn't able to work again, heck she's barely able to walk.

Have you seen people try and care for parents with dementia?
Better than leaving it up to the government.
The government accesses residents on their physical capabilities, but then pays a small extra allowance if the resident qualifies for "dementia" care.
This despite the huge spectrum of dementia sufferers, and the fact that whilst they may be physically capable of feeding and bathing themselves, many will simply forget.
And when they get so bad they lose control of their bodily functions? Don't worry there's an allowance for that too.
Old 26-08-2020, 12:58 AM   #5726
gooseneck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_G6ET View Post
In the QAnon world
Uh its not just the QAnon world.

A lot of religions refuse blood transfusions for the exact reasons as stated in the bible:
(Genesis 9:4; Leviticus 17:10; Deuteronomy 12:23; Acts 15:28, 29) (Leviticus 17:14)

That includes plasma products. So looks like I'll be dying for my principles. and if my mum gets Coronavirus she will die for her principles too.

I'm a bit of a Sci-Fi nut so if a book and/or its words was sent 2,000 years into the past to warn us then its (whatever 666 is, probably AI. Could also be China, The Chinese used to run around the ancient countryside with banners with 6,6,6 written on them.) got to be pretty bad and yes I sincerely believe that the angels in the bible were either aliens or people from the future. Laugh all you want. The sources of light that were described in the bible in the cave that the two women saw after they inspected the cave after jesus's ascension were clearly white bright shining lights from "lanterns" and the cloaks that they describe the angels wearing in the Bible are LED lined fabric.

You're talking to someone who used to be a fan of Arthur C Clarke when he was a kid and even I'm moving toward religious beliefs as AI and Coronavirus become prevalent.

https://www.whatchristianswanttoknow...ical-analysis/

According to the bible, speaking here in a strictly academic fashion I don't want to convert you guys, or do I? God is a black box like thing which floats around the room and breathes fire. https://www.biblesprout.com/articles...-in-the-bible/

As for the topic of discussion regarding aged care. I agree with caring for my mother and I cared for my father for the last 20 years diligently even sacrificing everything in my life to do so, after his truck accident it was a huge burden for my mother and I took over that responsibility. Anyway more to the point, I 100% guarantee you that my mother won't be passing away in a hospital or aged care home.

I'm also seriously considering doing the same thing for other elderly people in my religious group, even going so far as to buy a lot of land and build an american-style aged care home and caring for them for myself.

The way that my father died in an aged care home, fearing for his life because the nurses didn't care about him, that won't be happening to my mother.

In a lighter note, here is a nice Greenday video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PK2R0IwCiY

Last edited by gooseneck; 26-08-2020 at 01:25 AM.
Old 26-08-2020, 01:33 AM   #5727
gooseneck
Banned

More info on the 666=china link:
"no one could buy or sell unless he had the mark which is the name of the beast or the number of his name."

Sound familiar? So if thats the correct rabbit hole it means that China is going to restrict our trade.

But that goes into deep conspiracy theory territory and I will let you guys go do that.
Old 26-08-2020, 02:16 AM   #5728
prydey
Rob

Talk about painting with broad strokes

Not all aged care facilities are bad or run for profit or govt owned.

Melbourne isn't Australia and there are many aged care facilities in every other state that are doing just fine.
Old 26-08-2020, 03:05 AM   #5729
gooseneck
Banned

In saying what I did say. I'm not against home care services having using them for my mum for 2 years now I've had no issues with their services, except maybe their expressions of various political issues such as bringing up welfare rorts, etc. But yeah nursing homes I'm not going to one.

If all else fails I'm just against whatever you guys are against at the current moment in time.
Old 26-08-2020, 03:06 AM   #5730
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Talk about painting with broad strokes

Not all aged care facilities are bad or run for profit or govt owned.

Melbourne isn't Australia and there are many aged care facilities in every other state that are doing just fine.
Wash your mouth out!
Common sense ain’t permitted in this thread....
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
5 users like this post:
Closed Thread