Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 13-12-2020, 04:21 PM   #8191
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Let's compare the record of each state
Thanks for proving my point... you couldn't understand the sarcasm in my post??

Here, let me spell it out for you in simpleton terms. I was being sarcastic (and jokingly) suggested closing all borders to SA to keep the "everyone else is brainwashed" virus from spreading any further. Nothing to do with the "COVID" virus.

Oh, you are also from SA? Makes sense.

Reading posts on here and on many other platforms, there's quite a few people from SA who think they know much more about COVID-19, and are full of... umm, 'conspiracy theories'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
It might appear again if Danny boy ****s it up again.... as you might guess I'm being sarcastic.
Reading into sarcasm is not a strong point I don't think. Good that you pointed it out though. Maybe I too should have spelt it out to him.

Any wonder why South Australia/Adelaide has a reputation for being the stupidest?? And the worst in Australia.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-...e-bank/8812932

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ky-review.html
Old 13-12-2020, 04:24 PM   #8192
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostly_broncos View Post
Basically if I've been around anyone for a few weeks I assume they are safe . That is to say not going to get sick and cough in my face .

Now were they around someone I might not want to be around ? Thats possible and I have no control over it so I don't worry about it.

At some point everyone is going to be exposed even if they spend 23 hours a day hiding in a closet . If it was just a few weeks I guess I'd hide in the closet but its been a year everyone is pretty much over it.

The level of alarm in this thread is way too high for an island nation with barely any infections. Seriously I just looked at the worldometer site it says 4 new cases in Australia today ! 4 , stick a fork in it its OVAH!

You don't even need a vaccine
You can never be over cautious so why let our guard down, our State of Victoria was an example how a virus can get out of control in such short time.

I think the world can take lessons from Australia.
2 users like this post:
Old 13-12-2020, 04:28 PM   #8193
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post

Here, let me spell it out for you in simpleton terms. I was being sarcastic (and jokingly) suggested closing all borders to SA to keep the "everyone else is brainwashed" virus from spreading any further. Nothing to do with the "COVID" virus.

Oh, you are also from SA? Makes sense.

Reading posts on here and on many other platforms, there's quite a few people from SA who think they know much more about COVID-19, and are full of... umm, 'conspiracy theories'.

Reading into sarcasm is not a strong point I don't think. Good that you pointed it out though. Maybe I too should have spelt it out to him.

Any wonder why South Australia/Adelaide has a reputation for being the stupidest?? And the worst in Australia.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-...e-bank/8812932

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ky-review.html
C'mon be nice I'm a Victorian with South Australian heritage, they are not that bad for surely....maybe some!
This user likes this post:
Old 13-12-2020, 04:38 PM   #8194
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

On the subject of being over cautious, this morning I walked into a small shop on my way back home and forgot to wear the mask. I was only going in there for 2-3 minutes max. The lady behind the counter almost had a heart attack and told me to step outside. When I realised why she was telling me to step outside, I apologised and walked back out.

It was only her (with mask on) and me in the shop. I was only going to be 2-3 minutes. I'm not displaying any symptoms. Her over reaction was, very concerning. Scary even.

I think it's time for the VIC mask rules to go. I fully understood, and was fully supportive during the tidal wave of case numbers, but I really don't think VIC needs to wear masks now. I'm far from an anti-masker, very far from it. But it's getting to the point where it's almost laughable now.
Old 13-12-2020, 05:25 PM   #8195
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought about posting a Covid joke, but there’s a 99.95% chance you won’t get it.
Old 13-12-2020, 06:11 PM   #8196
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
I thought about posting a Covid joke, but there’s a 99.95% chance you won’t get it.
That depends very much on where you are and when you ask.

Best guess is about 98% of people will not get your joke.

Or to put it another way; in a country like the USA were things are ouf of control 3035 people will get your joke yesterday alone. In Australia on the same day no one will get your joke, not anyone.

And again it seems we need a sticky to explain to those who still have not got it...

the manta around Covid has always been "slow the spread flatten the curve".

The reason for that is so health systems are not over run.

Once people are dead it's very unfortunate, but there are hundreds of people filling up hospital beds for every dead person.

Once health systems reach capacity people start dieing of treatable conditions because there is not enough medical staff to go around and doctors are forced to choose who to treat.

Laugh it up CK.....
Old 13-12-2020, 06:20 PM   #8197
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
You think it’s funny I guess, post a YouTube video 👍
2 users like this post:
Old 13-12-2020, 06:33 PM   #8198
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
On the subject of being over cautious, this morning I walked into a small shop on my way back home and forgot to wear the mask. I was only going in there for 2-3 minutes max. The lady behind the counter almost had a heart attack and told me to step outside. When I realised why she was telling me to step outside, I apologised and walked back out.

It was only her (with mask on) and me in the shop. I was only going to be 2-3 minutes. I'm not displaying any symptoms. Her over reaction was, very concerning. Scary even.

I think it's time for the VIC mask rules to go. I fully understood, and was fully supportive during the tidal wave of case numbers, but I really don't think VIC needs to wear masks now. I'm far from an anti-masker, very far from it. But it's getting to the point where it's almost laughable now.
Absolutely, I have no issue at all with masks when they did something. But when you make people do things that do not add to safety, you lose the attention of the masses, you lose the respect of the rules. They then do not take rules seriously. Get rid of them now, but bring them back immediately if it escapes quarantine.

Old 13-12-2020, 08:24 PM   #8199
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Ahh the irony. If only you'd picked up what I put down
Old 13-12-2020, 10:54 PM   #8200
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont even understand the mask rules.
Went to servo, bunnings, autobarn, bottleo, petstock and chemist today.
Bunnings and chemist 100% masks.
Everywhere else 0%, staff included, think maybe one customer in autobarn had one on.
I guess im too dumb to understand the science involved in that.
Sidenote, sportsbet should be running a few bets on time until hotel quarantine gets messed up.
Id take a multi on 12 days, Andrews does 3 handballs before 2nd inquiry.
Old 13-12-2020, 11:07 PM   #8201
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems like Vic government is really trying hard here to not screw this up again. Id really hate to be the one responsible when one idiot inevitably screws up. We all know itll happen, and we all know it will be amazingly dumb.
Old 14-12-2020, 12:15 AM   #8202
mostly_broncos

Quote:

Exactly what I mean lets not be this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xgx4k83zzc
Old 14-12-2020, 10:31 AM   #8203
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford.
I don't have an issue with it at the moment but I also notice that it is becoming less adhered to especially in smaller stores where there is no policing of compliance.

It's hardly as if wearing one for a few minutes in a shop has a major impact on the wearer and they have been a part of everyday life in some Asian countries for years.

No doubt that rule will be relaxed eventually but what is wrong with waiting for the experts to decide when that should be>

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2020, 11:03 AM   #8204
mostly_broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
I don't have an issue with it at the moment but I also notice that it is becoming less adhered to especially in smaller stores where there is no policing of compliance.

It's hardly as if wearing one for a few minutes in a shop has a major impact on the wearer and they have been a part of everyday life in some Asian countries for years.

No doubt that rule will be relaxed eventually but what is wrong with waiting for the experts to decide when that should be>
People that work in smaller stores should not be in the position of enforcing mask mandates. They do not get paid enough to deal with that kind of drama. If its their shop and they try that they will only lose customers.

No one ever gained customers by nagging . Lose-lose situation for everyone
2 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2020, 11:04 AM   #8205
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

We are coming down for 5 days and will mask up when in stores etc.

Will also remember to wash hands and/or sanitize as we go around. It takes 30 seconds so its not too hard.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 14-12-2020, 11:26 AM   #8206
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Perhaps reference to the government's restrictions will help clarify the situation with respect to mask wearing in Vic:
  • You must carry a face mask with you when you leave home.
  • Wearing a face mask is only mandatory on public transport, while in taxis or ride share vehicles, or when going to large retail venues, including shopping centres, supermarkets and department stores.
  • Wearing a face mask is strongly recommended indoors and outdoors when you can’t keep 1.5 metres distance from other people.

So, you do not need to wear a mask in a smaller store, where you can maintain 1.5m distance from other people. I get that it seems strange to have to wear a mask in a shopping centre or supermarket, but not your local butcher, for eg. But, I think this is just a risk based approach. Larger store are likely to have more people pass through them. Therefore, if someone is C-19 infected in that environment, they are likely to spread C-19 to more people than if someone was infected in a smaller shop.

I do appreciate that not wearing of masks will not prevent infection in smaller stores, should someone be CV-19 infected, but the numbers exposed to it are likely to be much less than larger, more attended stores.

Seems like a reasonable approach to me.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
3 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2020, 11:33 AM   #8207
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
So, you do not need to wear a mask in a smaller store, where you can maintain 1.5m distance from other people. I get that it seems strange to have to wear a mask in a shopping centre or supermarket, but not your local butcher, for eg. But, I think this is just a risk based approach. Larger store are likely to have more people pass through them.
I believe the principle is, if you are in an environment that is not feasible to enforce QR coding for track and trace later on, then mask is required.

So shopping malls, where thousands of people are going in and out each day, would be impossible to enforce QR coding for every single customer, hence mask required. Small shops, where attendants can monitor and enforce customers coming in to QR code, no mask required.
This user likes this post:
Old 14-12-2020, 11:57 AM   #8208
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Small shops, where attendants can monitor and enforce customers coming in to QR code, no mask required.
Been to quite a few small shops lately. Some have QR code. Some have a pen and paper where you have to fill in your name/phone number.

None of them are enforced. At all.

I don't feel comfortable with writing down my name and phone number. I haven't scanned QR at entry on a few occasions. There was no 'enforcing' by the shop attendant even though they were well aware that I hadn't filled in the form or scanned QR code. Maybe because I was wearing a mask?

The one time I didn't wear a mask, it was like I was glowing bright green with a death virus the way she overreacted. Scared the crap out of me!

Most small shops in VIC still display 'NO MASK NO ENTRY' signs at the door. Can a private shop owner overrule a government rule?
Old 14-12-2020, 12:12 PM   #8209
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Been to quite a few small shops lately. Some have QR code. Some have a pen and paper where you have to fill in your name/phone number.

I don't feel comfortable with writing down my name and phone number. I haven't scanned QR at entry on a few occasions. There was no 'enforcing' by the shop attendant even though they were well aware that I hadn't filled in the form or scanned QR code. Maybe because I was wearing a mask?

The one time I didn't wear a mask, it was like I was glowing bright green with a death virus the way she overreacted. Scared the crap out of me!

Most small shops in VIC still display 'NO MASK NO ENTRY' signs at the door. Can a private shop owner overrule a government rule?
Yeh most small retailers aren't enforcing the QR coding, but 99% of people going into those shops are masked up. It will only take one outbreak for everyone to start taking the QR code seriously. I have only ever been forced to QR code in once.

I think shops can enforce their own rules to a certain extent. Just like bouncers can stop riff raffs from going into a bar / club for whatever reason
Old 14-12-2020, 01:28 PM   #8210
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 23:59 GMT December 13th, 2020.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

6 new cases for Australia and 0 deaths so the CMR drops to 3.269%. NSW recorded 3 cases, Victoria and WA recorded 1 reach.

4 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.193% and active cases drop to 56.

The UK had a lower 18,447 cases yesterday. We know they are now not counting their mortalities by the WHO guidelines so we are going to ignore the CMR but even using their method they recorded 494 deaths.

Just over 220k new cases in the USA yesterday and 2,309 deaths sees CMR drop to 1.843% and active cases remain at 39.9% with the raw numbers rising and now over 6.5M. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points: (it's a weekend again)
Asia passes 19M cases;
North America sets a new daily case high with 272,534 (11/12);
The USA completes 220M, India 153M, Turkey 21M, Denmark 8M, Pakistan & Israel 6M, Hungary 2M and M tests.

Uruguay (528) - 38% above the previous high;
Cyprus (625) - 49% above the previous high;
South Korea (1,030);
Japan (2,988); and
Azerbaijan (4,451);

... all recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive days.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2020, 02:10 PM   #8211
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Here are a couple of graphs we haven't had for awhile.

First up, the continent based CMR where the global average is now down to 2.33%. Europe (2.3%), Oceania (2.22%) and Asia (1.64%) are all below that while South America (2.84%) has passed North America (2.34%) with the worst rate.

Next is the cases per 100k adult population for some selected countries. Globally, the average is 1,295.2 / 100k while Australia is 155.7 at the lower end and the USA is worst with over 8,000 / 100k, followed by Belgium (6,545) and Switzerland (5,319).

Deaths per 100k of population shows the global average now at 28.86/100k with Australia just over 5/100k and Belgium faring worst with 193/100k ahead of Italy (174.8) and the USA (146.6).

We have seen this one recently but the global case growth chart has been heading the wrong way for awhile now:

Last time we looked at the US modelling (only 10 days ago), we were predicting 18M cases by year end and 300k deaths. I've revised both models based on a less conservative number set, despite which the current case trend is still above my worst case model in which we'll likely see 20M cases by end of year. Actually, given we are currently at 16.8M and the 7 day average growth has been ~220k cases per day and there are 19 days left that would make roughly 4.2M cases and make the total closer to 21M. I'd expect a slight slowdown in identified cases during the Xmas break so that's likely to keep it closer to 20M.

We also predicted 300k deaths in the USA by year end but that total has already been surpassed so I've again revised the model. The current trend is now about level with the new upper predictive model, which shows ~340k deaths by year end and something like half a million by mid-February.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 14-12-2020 at 02:18 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2020, 03:29 PM   #8212
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack91
I dont even understand the mask rules.
Went to servo, bunnings, autobarn, bottleo, petstock and chemist today.
Bunnings and chemist 100% masks.
Everywhere else 0%, staff included, think maybe one customer in autobarn had one on.
I guess im too dumb to understand the science involved in that.
Sidenote, sportsbet should be running a few bets on time until hotel quarantine gets messed up.
Id take a multi on 12 days, Andrews does 3 handballs before 2nd inquiry.
Hardly anyone understands them. It's only supposed to be mandatory in supermarkets, shopping malls, and large department stores. But how do you classify what is large, and what isn't?

I think a lot of people still think you have to wear them in any store. But seriously, what is the point. No cases for 45 days. No other states have mask rules, just drop it already.
Old 14-12-2020, 03:50 PM   #8213
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Hardly anyone understands them. It's only supposed to be mandatory in supermarkets, shopping malls, and large department stores. But how do you classify what is large, and what isn't?

I think a lot of people still think you have to wear them in any store. But seriously, what is the point. No cases for 45 days. No other states have mask rules, just drop it already.
Just wear one in side until you’re told not to.
Old 14-12-2020, 04:06 PM   #8214
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

I don't mind wearing the mask at shopping centres or the big stores like Bunnings etc just cannot bother to argue any more with the know all's but when outdoors I feel free as I have no inclination to wear one whatsoever.
Old 14-12-2020, 06:11 PM   #8215
Work Horse
Budget Racer

I like to wear a mask so I don't have to worry about brushing my teeth
Old 14-12-2020, 06:25 PM   #8216
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
I like to wear a mask so I don't have to worry about brushing my teeth
I would think that wearing a mask would remind you to brush your teeth

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
4 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2020, 07:28 PM   #8217
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Today was the first day of compulsory checkin in SA, I was in and out of shops all day. The QR code was quick and easy. But my concern is the manual checkin on paper for non phone types, they are nothing more than incomprehensible scribble, and in Big W it is positioned at the BACK of the store ��

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 15-12-2020, 12:42 AM   #8218
mostly_broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Today was the first day of compulsory checkin in SA, I was in and out of shops all day. The QR code was quick and easy. But my concern is the manual checkin on paper for non phone types, they are nothing more than incomprehensible scribble, and in Big W it is positioned at the BACK of the store ��
I have never heard of anything like this over here in the US

well maybe at a hospital or summat but you'd be signing in there anyway if you were a patient anyway.

Signing in at a store?

What is the point of that level of tracing?

We had a thing last February right near me , a pharma company function that according to the news may have spawned 300,000 cases , it took them 10 months to tell us so of what use was all that tracing when you would feel sick a few days after infection?

If you give up that power to trace your movements to a government they will never give it back . No government can be trusted with that.
Old 15-12-2020, 03:16 AM   #8219
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:

They have no authority to enforce anything. Only police have a right to demand personal details I believe.

Sure, you can sign in with a fake name and number, but they can't check that. They just confirm that you have signed in. And that confirmation is a quick glance.

I often visit a local restaurant that 'enforces' the QR code sign in. The confirmation is a green screen.

If I were to screen capture that screen I could flash the same screen on my 10 next visits and I would be let in each and every time.

I ate at McDonalds a few days ago and sat near the door. The manager decided to put a small 14 or 15 year old girl at the entrance with her tablet asking each visitor to sign in.

Most were nice about it. One gruff tradie told her to bugger off as he was visiting the second time in the day and already signed in.

What can she do?? Nothing.

A private store owner can ask you to leave as it isn't a public place - much like many shops have 'Conditions of entry' signs near the entrance but they are hardly ever enforced and no one wants to make a scene.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 15-12-2020, 04:14 AM   #8220
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Speaking of McDonalds - their QR code doesn't work on my phone. It goes to a dead link about a survey or something.

I hear the same thing every time they ask me if I signed in - apparently there is an issue with it working on certain Android phones...

The other thing about McDonalds is they can see the sign in details of their patrons. I watched two 15 year olds argue over who was going to confront the customer that signed in with bogus details...

And that should NOT be the job of anyone under 18 - so that means the manager is the one that should be doing that.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......

Last edited by russellw; 15-12-2020 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Removed deleted quote
Closed Thread