Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-01-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
g220ba
FGX XR8

Default Hitlers Stealth fighter

This may not be everyones cup of tea but it really is interesting doco on the German technology that if succesful could possibly have the outcome of the war. The Horton 229 and the bigger brother the Horton 18 were generations ahead of their time and quite frankly amazing.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbCgDidqGUU
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aj_V...eature=related
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jdlw...eature=related
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR-Md...eature=related
Part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqLGy...eature=related

g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Almost like with Heavy Water.
If Hitler mastered the above item and Heavy Water, I would think things would be much different now.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 02:22 PM   #3
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Imagine if Hitler had invented these Stealth jets, Morphene and atomic weapons before the Americans! Scary.

Hitler also thought there was a middle earth and he paid engineers and geologists top top money to be the first country to discover such place :

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 02:27 PM   #4
g220ba
FGX XR8

I don't wanna start a hitler did this and that thread. i only posted this as great feat of engineering, wherever it came from it really was ahead of its time. I seen this doco on Nat Geo and thought it'd be good viewing for all.
I've personally never really been into docos that much but in seeing things like this from history it really is starting to intrigue me and from stand point we could make this thread about interesting docos more than hitler.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:23 PM   #5
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

What is heavy water?
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

I saw this on Discovey Channel not long ago, very scary thought that Hitler almost had stealth fighters! Particularly in that day and age, his engineers were brilliant, thinking way beyond their time.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

That was really worth watching. I like watching docos like this, makes you wonder what is currently in developement too.
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Was on Foxtel last night actually!
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 03:53 PM   #9
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76txcoupe
What is heavy water?
Hailstones!

....Nah, sorry about that.........try here.http://www.fas.org/nuke/intro/nuke/heavy.htm
Old 03-01-2010, 03:57 PM   #10
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76txcoupe
What is heavy water?
Water used in the design of Nuclear reactors. Has a higher proportion of the isotope deuterium,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_water

: beaten to it. Should refresh more
Old 03-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #11
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanrz
Almost like with Heavy Water.
If Hitler mastered the above item and Heavy Water, I would think things would be much different now.
hitler had heavy water http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegi...water_sabotage
but their is more to the story with a sunken passenger vessel (not in link) found by nat geo 8X44 gallon drum's of heavy water found in it's cargo hold.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #12
g220ba
FGX XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Was on Foxtel last night actually!
Yeah it was replayed again today, that's where i seen it. This thread is turning into bit of a history lesson. As i'm sure with others i had never heard of heavy water either.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #13
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I watched this the other week, it was a fascinating insight and I also thought how good it was for them to painstakingly recreate the plane, I was worried it was going to fall off the mount at the airfield though.

I think it also clearly highlights where the Americans got the idea from for theirs, I wonder how many other things have been stolen off german ideas from that era.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #14
Chopped
as in chopped

^agreed. (Russia as well)
Old 03-01-2010, 05:13 PM   #15
Envi XR8
I love my beast too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocol
I think it also clearly highlights where the Americans got the idea from for theirs, I wonder how many other things have been stolen off german ideas from that era.
The Germans developed the MP44, world's first assault rifle. Looks a hell of a lot like a AK47...... they had a attachment for it that fired bullets around corners, and night vision equipment for soldiers and armoured vehicles by 1945. They developed and operationally used the first jet fighter, the ME262 and bomber, the Arado 234...and the Heinkel HE162 fighter had an ejection seat.... they were the first to use a rocket/missle, the V1/V2 programs, against an enemy country....and in 1944 they developed an air-to-air rocket that they used against the US air force (the Japanese had something similiar). Their engineers and scientists were, and even now are, generally ahead of current thought and were highly sort after by all allied countries at the end of the war.

Cluey bunch of people them Germans. Just what the Government of that era stood for was vulgar, and it was smashed down as it had to be. Had all this type of technology been put into use for peaceful purposes, as their leader, Hitler would have gone down as one of the greatest statesmen in history, instead of a homicidal & genocidal maniac, and a coward who blew his brains out. Although, the military requirement for technology opens doors that drives the eventual domestication of that technology. The internet started as a communication system for the US army.
Envi XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 05:25 PM   #16
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

My Dad flew on of these in WWII

The first (accidental) Stealth.

RADAR-PROOF STEALTH

Of the several unplanned strategic benefits the Mosquito fighter provided was its capability as a "Stealth Fighter". By using metal only for the engines, and non-magnetic brass screws as reinforcement at critical points in the airframe, the De Havilland Mosquito was virtually invisible to German radar.

</U>
In the early days of primitive radar detection, due to their low radar signature, sorties of Mosquito fighters were frequently mistaken as flocks of birds!

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #17
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

The ME262 could have been in service by 1943, Hitlers insistence it be used as a bomber rather than the fighter it was put an end to that. An amazing craft for its day, made everything else obsolete.

Good thing Hitler wasn't much of a strategist.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:29 PM   #18
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Mmmmm Hitler. He sure did love his crazy schemes.

I wonder if it would have "changed the outcome of the war" like the Messerschmidt ME-163 did?

Someone above commented on how the US probably got the idea for Have Blue from the Nazi's...but everyone was stealing everything from each other in WW2, it was just that each side was developing things more then the other side.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #19
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
I saw this on Discovey Channel not long ago, very scary thought that Hitler almost had stealth fighters! Particularly in that day and age, his engineers were brilliant, thinking way beyond their time.
They also invented the VW Beetle..............lol
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #20
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocol
I wonder how many other things have been stolen off german ideas from that era.
Maybe the German scientists figured it was healthier to go 'Murrica than be shot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envi XR8
The internet started as a communication system for the US army.
And all this time I thought it was 'invented' by Universities to communicate with each other then the Military came in.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:42 PM   #21
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

They reckon that the USSR and th UK both had plans to shoot old Adolf but they thought he was a greater help to the allies alive than dead, kept stuffing things up like the ME 262 and actually stopping the Sturmgewehr 44 from going into production in 1943.

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Old 03-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #22
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken
They reckon that the USSR and th UK both had plans to shoot old Adolf but they thought he was a greater help to the allies alive than dead, kept stuffing things up like the ME 262 and actually stopping the Sturmgewehr 44 from going into production in 1943.

UK
Yeh dozens of chances but your right, much better for him to make mistakes than to put someone with military brain in charge.

Canning the aircraft carrier was another of his brilliant plans.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:48 PM   #23
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Mind you I think the I reckon the Yanks used the Horton 229 as a starting point for their stealth program. I'm glad for my Dad's sake (ohh and the rest of the world) that they didn't get it up and running sooner

UK

PS Hilter bad man, very bad man. no good.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #24
g220ba
FGX XR8

There's another show called Generals of war that show how his generals proved to be great strategists but his overiding decisions proved to be his downfall consistantly.

Yes Uncle Ken, Hitler was a bad man and i don't think anyone will deny that.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:15 PM   #25
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84ltd
There's another show called Generals of war that show how his generals proved to be great strategists but his overiding decisions proved to be his downfall consistantly.

Yes Uncle Ken, Hitler was a bad man and i don't think anyone will deny that.
Just thought I would add the obvious:togo: Some people can misinterpret this kind of thread.
Got to say I am a regular on the History channel, I saw the Horton 229 when it first ran. Also enjoyed the tank restorers series (mind you would have liked to seen more German tanks)

UK
Old 03-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #26
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by My poor XF
The ME262 could have been in service by 1943, Hitlers insistence it be used as a bomber rather than the fighter it was put an end to that. An amazing craft for its day, made everything else obsolete.

Good thing Hitler wasn't much of a strategist.
I have a copy of my Dads air log. His most interesting entry was, in 1945

'Chased by ME 262 , ran like hell.'

UK
Old 03-01-2010, 06:24 PM   #27
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken
I have a copy of my Dads air log. His most interesting entry was, in 1945

'Chased by ME 262 , ran like hell.'

UK
Wow that would be an interesting read. I too would have ran!

The 262 was only vulnerable at take off and landing.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #28
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you go to the US Air Force Museum in Ohio you can see a lot of WW2 German aviation weaponry including air to air missiles :O

I second the thought that we are all lucky that Hitler was not a good strategist.

In the beginning a large percentage of USA actually supported the Nazi as they had a lot of similar views e.g. racism, protectionism, global expansion and power projection.
It was several years into the war 11/12/1941 before USA actually committed to the European Theatre.

I wonder if Hitler had actually got the V3 operational (the first ICBM which was capable of hitting USA from Europe) whether USA would have pulled its head in and concentrated on the Pacific allowing the Nazis free reign to squash UK and then concentrate on USSR........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 06:42 PM   #29
Bent8
Long live the GT !

The 262's and V1's were only the tip of the iceberg...we will probably never know how advanced the Third Reich was and which technologies were further successfully developed in the US and former USSR.

I'm sure you all know where the term "Foo Fighters" came from?

If you're interested, look up "Operation Paperclip"...the secret program to bring 1600 NAZI scientists to the US.

A youtube video for your enjoyment...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh37r3alzzs

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #30
g220ba
FGX XR8

Moving off the German theme these things are a pretty amazing feat of engineering:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYLOF8B6zis