Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 16-08-2007, 02:45 PM   #1
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Default LR exhaust Question

Howdy all.. just a quick Question....

With the LR am i to belive that there is 3 mufflers?

cause i saw a picture of the ST170 exhaust, and i saw what believed to be 3 mufflers, front, middle and that little rear one.

Or is one of them a silencer?

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 02:57 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Testing my memory now but all LR's have that bloody great big box at the rear and to remove it you'll have to cut the exhaust in half. When Matt and I put his old exhaust on my Focus, we had to jack the car up, unbolt it from the cat, cut the exhaust before the rear suspension and slide it out in two parts.

Matts old exhaust is still in the club (sort of), my old car lives in Sydney now. If the owner reads this and wants to reveal themselves so be it, maybe they could sell you the exhaust as it was made for Matt's zetec?
Old 16-08-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Thanks. well im looking into a Remus Exhaust. can get the rear muffler and tip with connecting pipe for about 300.

Also looking at getting ST170 headers and cat. Sort of want to keep the car quite, but still have a nice rumble when punched.

Old 16-08-2007, 03:24 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
Thanks. well im looking into a Remus Exhaust. can get the rear muffler and tip with connecting pipe for about 300.

Also looking at getting ST170 headers and cat. Sort of want to keep the car quite, but still have a nice rumble when punched.
Remus make great systems, heard one on a BOSS and it sounded great.
Old 16-08-2007, 03:29 PM   #5
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Mine has two silencers and the back box....much like stock. From memory Matt's aftermarket exhaust had only one silencer. It use to snarl and pop like a rally car.....there is a vid of it somewhere from memory. I thought his was a tad too loud, he thinks mine is too quiet.

Sean, I reckon you like the louder option. Why don't you email the bloke that has the Remus (I assume it was Youtube) on the Focus and see how many silencers he had

p.s. How do you get it for $300 with iwas $900+ on their website?
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 03:30 PM   #6
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf

If the owner reads this and wants to reveal themselves
I'm opening my trenchcoat lol

B2TF's Focus is my mums car now and she loves it. I usually take this doing local errands and its a awesome machine and take pride looking after it. My mums been a bit conciencious after friends a street over told us they could hear my mum going up our driveway with the exhaust every night.

Sean we'll catch up over the next few days, give a sound demo perhaps
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 03:40 PM   #7
photn
AFF Post NAZI

No probs Chris. Much appreciated.

Steve.. i have my ways and contact.. i might just roll on in there and take one hahaha

IM after a quite one. as im over the LOUDNESS of the exhaust to tell you the truth.

i like the engine noise of the Zetec engine. just sounds SWEET.

Old 16-08-2007, 03:42 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
I'm opening my trenchcoat lol

B2TF's Focus is my mums car now and she loves it. I usually take this doing local errands and its a awesome machine and take pride looking after it. My mums been a bit conciencious after friends a street over told us they could hear my mum going up our driveway with the exhaust every night.

Sean we'll catch up over the next few days, give a sound demo perhaps
I still feel bad about the condition that car was in when I delivered it, I cant apologise enough Chris. Glad to hear she's happy with it now though.
Old 16-08-2007, 03:46 PM   #9
photn
AFF Post NAZI

basically i want to increase flow but i want it to be quiteish...i like the sound of the remus cause it has a nice RUmble to it... but its not toooo loud.

Old 16-08-2007, 04:01 PM   #10
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
I still feel bad about the condition that car was in when I delivered it, I cant apologise enough Chris. Glad to hear she's happy with it now though.
Don't worry about it. I know how much you took care of it and a quick wash and it came up sweet.

With the exhaust, when your not under load its a quiet burble, under load its got a nice bark. No drone etc.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 05:11 PM   #11
melbzetec

A sound file here sean, when I first installed the ST170 header.

Always sounds different under load of course, but this is with the Herrod Motorsport catback, with two resonators

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6xhm2s7owg
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 16-08-2007, 05:24 PM   #12
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Steve, would Flow matter much for a the SC setup?

Old 16-08-2007, 05:32 PM   #13
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Steve is anything sorted with your car? Like no engine light and not running lean or rich?

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 06:54 PM   #14
melbzetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
Steve, would Flow matter much for a the SC setup?
Some would argue you need 2.5", but 2.25" would be the best of both worlds. Don't forget, the Powerworks Supercharger was designed to be bolted onto a STOCK Focus, so it will work well irrespective

Old 16-08-2007, 06:55 PM   #15
melbzetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOCUSonTHIS
Steve is anything sorted with your car? Like no engine light and not running lean or rich?
That is now all sorted Adam. Rob Herrod did a tune and sorted all of those issues

Old 16-08-2007, 10:42 PM   #16
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
Some would argue you need 2.5", but 2.25" would be the best of both worlds. Don't forget, the Powerworks Supercharger was designed to be bolted onto a STOCK Focus, so it will work well irrespective
it was? SWEET i can keep the standard exhaust.

Ohh after listening to your Vid.. i like i like.... got any vids of it from the inside?

Old 17-08-2007, 05:28 PM   #17
amlohac

MY old Focus was a 2.25in high flow cat to one mid muffler, stock headers though. It was loudish, did pop and crackle when i let up off the pedal after giving it a big boot, nice rally noise.

Wish i knew who bought my car, if anyone even has yet, more than sure they will end up here making contact.
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post