Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 27-07-2007, 11:42 PM   #1
4dlvr
4dlvr

Default focus or laser sr

im on the hunt for a new 4cyl, ive got about $12,000 to spend and im tossing up between a laser sr or a focus, preferbly zetec but i think it might be out of my price range. i want a manual and most likely a 1.8.

i just wanted to ask if anyone has had any experiance with these cars and which theyd preffer. ive taken test drives with both and they honestly feel really similar...

thanx in advance

4dlvr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2007, 11:55 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Focus is a better balanced car, but for me the laser is hotter...

Hard call, id probarly take the one with the lowest kays...
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 12:13 AM   #3
photn
AFF Post NAZI

well for what you are looking for id sujest a SR2 Laser.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 06:36 PM   #4
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeh I'm with you, the SR was only a 1.8L GLXI with a few more things were the SR2 or Mazda SP20 were 2.0L. They look nicer too.
Old 29-07-2007, 10:26 PM   #5
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

If you want to modify down the track, then Focus is the go. Lots of performance parts to be had....a lot harder on the Laser I would think
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 10:34 PM   #6
Mick K.

Go for the Focus - it is a newer design and a better and safer car. Also the name is continuing with Ford, so it is not a discontinued name, which may affect resale later on.

You should be able to get a CL sedan or hatch or maybe an LX for around $12K. The 1.8 had poor reviews when it arrived in Aus, but I think there was an initial problem with Ford not recommending an appropriate fuel or something with the ECU.

There is also a Zetec on carsales.com.au for $12500 - see below.

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars...PriceMax=15000

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2007, 11:18 PM   #7
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick K.
The 1.8 had poor reviews when it arrived in Aus, but I think there was an initial problem with Ford not recommending an appropriate fuel or something with the ECU.
MK
They basically got the map wrong. It was "detuned"at the factory for Australian regualr unleaded.... but unfortunately they did it twice!! They all had to be reflashed, but took months to sort it out
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 05:55 PM   #8
buickman
buickman

I was going to buy a ST170 Focus new but what Ford was asking then was a joke and the SR2's were scarce in the dealerships for the colour my wife wanted. So I purchased a runout SP20 Mazda for my wife & have never had any issues with the car. The SR2 Laser & SP20 are made in Japan so quality & reliabilty are good. But there is a lot more after market performance parts for the Focus and I have not read to many problems with the 1st series Focus. Personally my only dislike is the way the rear looks on a Focus

[IMG][/IMG]
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 11:00 PM   #9
whippet_zetec
Supes

I will give you my biased opinion...LR Focus

I have an LR, love it, drives great, nippy around the streets, easy on the juice, looks sharp too.

End of the day around that price range as suggested go for the one that been the most looked after in terms of maintenance, paintwork/body work, and kms.