Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-08-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
Megawatt Man
Starter Motor

Default Fitting Digital Clock

G'day, I have sourced a digital clock that I want to install in my AU1 ute. Ellery's manual shows its power circuit coming from fuse number 8 to a junction box that houses two auxiliary fuses, then on to the clock. There is also a supply from the ignition switch via the same junction box. The clock also has connections to the headlights, no doubt to dim the display at night. Looking through the hole behind the blanking plate on the dash doesn't reveal a wiring connector - but behind the blanking plate over the hole for fuel tank and boot lock switches there are connectors. So my questions are: 1. Where is the junction box with the two fuses, and 2. might there already be a connector tucked away in ther bowels of the dash that I cannot see without removing radio, air conditioning controls etc? Best Regards Megawatt Man

Last edited by Megawatt Man; 13-08-2009 at 01:18 PM. Reason: typo
Megawatt Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am pretty sure that the connector you are after just sits in behind the dash. I have one pulled apart on a series 1. I'll have a look and let you know.

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2009, 04:38 PM   #3
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi there i have gone and taken a couple of photos of the wiring behind the center console.
This utee had a clock installed from factory and the wiring plug that it connected to is the one that you see at the top of the center console area the one circled in the picture. This should just plug into the colck without any problems. Try the links below they should show you what you need to see.
Hope this helps, Rhys.

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/x...P1030700-1.jpg

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/x...u/P1030699.jpg

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/x...u/P1030701.jpg

Toy Car Build
Old 13-08-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
Megawatt Man
Starter Motor

Default Fitting Digital Clock

Than you so much Bartsau! I'll go fishing first, hoping to find the plug, Second would be to dismantle to the stage shown by your pics. Best Regards Megawatt Man.
Old 13-08-2009, 08:38 PM   #5
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

yeah mine dident have one and i added one
it was just sitting there i took it all to part and Screwed it in and pluged it in and it worked
Old 14-08-2009, 08:10 PM   #6
Teknoslasher
Travis - 1999 Ford AU S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by POELWYK
yeah mine dident have one and i added one
it was just sitting there i took it all to part and Screwed it in and pluged it in and it worked
I've just had a poke around for one in my '98 Series 1 Forte, can't find one at all. Any idea if I need to pull more than just the fascia off and poke around in there or would I need to physically connect one?
Teknoslasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #7
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknoslasher
I've just had a poke around for one in my '98 Series 1 Forte, can't find one at all. Any idea if I need to pull more than just the fascia off and poke around in there or would I need to physically connect one?
Being a 98 series 1 it is a very early one in which case you may have to connect one not sure how you would go about this though. Pretty sure though with a bit of fishing you should be able to find a connector hiding there somewhere.
Cheers, Rhys

Toy Car Build
Old 15-08-2009, 11:26 AM   #8
Megawatt Man
Starter Motor

G'day all, I have just removed and reassembled the centre finish panel so my ute looked like Bartsau's pics. Unfortunately there isn't a lead in the location shown. only a substantial part of the loom that doesn't have any tails emanating from it. There is however, an orange coloured connector with 4 wires plugged into a blank moulding in the back of the plate that holds the rear window demister switch and I'm thinking that may be the one, because neither Ellery nor the Ford owner's manual show anything else close by that this connector would suit. Only problem is, the connector will not reach the blanked off clock position. I have not picked up the clock yet, so don't know if it is equipped with a set of wires and a connector that would reach the orange one. Need to keep on investigating. Megawatt Man
Old 15-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #9
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Megawatt Man,
With regards the other connector you talk about, i can't think what it is for but i am pretty sure it isn't for the clock although it may work (doubt it but you never know). Try the following link for a better view. I think it shows the three seperate connectors showing the one you talk about can't be for the clock.
Hope this helps,
Thanks, Rhys

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/x...P1030701-1.jpg

Toy Car Build
Old 16-08-2009, 12:01 PM   #10
Megawatt Man
Starter Motor

G'day all, Yes Bartsau I am sure you are correct in that. This morning I unclipped the plate that holds the rear screen demister switch and examined the colours of the wires on the orange connector to which I refer. It is for an economy switch for vehicles with a column mounted transmission shifter. There's another switch position available for adjusting the height of the electric antenna, if fitted. A closer examination of the owner's manual and a bit of deduction supports that finding.

I reckon the best option is to connect into the audio connector as follows.
Yellow/Red - permanant battery that keeps the radio memory alive for code and inbuilt clock if any;
Violet/Red (or Blue/Yellow in some models) - battery switched by ignition
Black - earth
Brown - illumination

That coincides with the clock's requirements, except for one thing - a "dimming" wire that we can expect to be Light Blue/Red, but I have not been able to find where such a signal wire comes from, neither at what voltage it operates. Anybody know about this?

Then all I need is to convince wrecker to supply me with the correct connector to plug into the clock.
Best Regards,

Megawatt Man
Old 17-08-2009, 09:30 AM   #11
Megawatt Man
Starter Motor

G'day Bartsau, Would it be convenient for you to have a feel of the clock cable above the air ducts to see just where it comes from please? It seems unlikely that my ute is missing that set of wires when it has others that are not used. Immediately behind the air ducts is the large loom section I have mentioned, with no tails emanating from it. But maybe (and I would not know why) the tail for the clock comes from an adjacent compartment and must be re-routed to the position shown in your pics? A side comment - Although it has extra wires unused, it did not have those needed for cruise, which I have just fitted. I had to buy the separate section of loom and interchange it with mine. Best Regards Megawatt Man
Old 17-08-2009, 02:22 PM   #12
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megawatt Man
G'day Bartsau, Would it be convenient for you to have a feel of the clock cable above the air ducts to see just where it comes from please? It seems unlikely that my ute is missing that set of wires when it has others that are not used. Immediately behind the air ducts is the large loom section I have mentioned, with no tails emanating from it. But maybe (and I would not know why) the tail for the clock comes from an adjacent compartment and must be re-routed to the position shown in your pics? A side comment - Although it has extra wires unused, it did not have those needed for cruise, which I have just fitted. I had to buy the separate section of loom and interchange it with mine. Best Regards Megawatt Man
I'll see if i can have a look tonight. With a bit of luck it comes from elsewhere.
Cheers, Rhys

Toy Car Build
Old 17-08-2009, 07:55 PM   #13
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Megawatt Man,
The wiring loom and plug definately originate from the main loom which runs across the top of the central facia ducts. you can see roughly where the loom i mean is in the link below.
Hope this helps, as for the colour of the wires i'll have to wait until daylight to see them properly.
Cheers, Rhys

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/x...P1030700-2.jpg

Toy Car Build
Old 18-08-2009, 10:20 AM   #14
Megawatt Man
Starter Motor

Thank you again Rhys, So I don't have that tail! OK, I'll move on from there. The wire colours to which I refer are those at the audio connector, not necessarily the same as those that would be there if a clock cable was there and I'm confident enough in all of them but the dimming control wire, which I now think is probably white. All the best, Megawatt Man.