Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 29-11-2007, 02:02 AM   #1
ardei
WP Fiesta LX

Default Inferiority Complex?

:

Has anyone else noticed that by driving a small hatchback you often get denied the privilege to overtake by drivers of other cars? Now I know there are unwritten rules for when you're having a fang on a twisty road. That if you are travelling faster than the average motorist, then you will get caught behind someone eventually. And that not everyone is there to have a fang like you are, some just want a leisurely drive - and I respect their desires - as long as they respect mine!

First incident happened about 2 weeks ago travelling towards Sydney on Bells Line of Road. I was doing the speed limit (100km/h) and I caught up to two slower moving cars. One was probably a Camry and the second was a white VP Commodore driven by an older man (the one with the hat on the parcel shelf). When an overtaking lane opened up I let the Commodore overtake the first car and then thinking he would move over (as per "Keep Left Unless Overtaking") so that I can overtake him as I assumed that he was there for a leisurely Sunday drive. So I stuck behind him as he overtook the first car, but he didn't move over! I wasn't going to overtake him on the left as this is immoral (and illegal) so he just kept accelerating through the sweeping bends. I stuck with him up to about 120 before I realised his pride was too great to let a Fiesta overtake and backed off. And sure enough - he settled down to a pace slower then mine and I was stuck behind him again.

Second chain of incidents - I did the Great Ocean Road on Tuesday and as is normal, there were a lot of rental cars, tour buses and tourists on the road. However, this road has signage every kilometre or so telling people "Slower traffic use turnoffs" and "Consider those following". So I expected most of the people to obey this. The minibuses usually obey the rules and graciously pull to the side.

After having a clean run at the start of The GOR, I caught up to an AU Falcon Ute (Work ute with metal boxes in the tray). I gave him/her space where space was due but showed my intentions that I wanted them to let me passed on numerous occasions. Despite this, the driver did not pull over an inch at any turnoffs or slow traffic lanes to let me pass. Yet this was the least of my worries.

Later I caught up to a rental Corolla Sedan. Again same story, wouldn't pull over for anyone and was going at a very leisurely pace. And it's not like they didn't realise what was happening as there was a bus or two in front of this car that pulled over to let us pass. After about 10mins, I see the Red Cement Truck from Hell in my rear view mirror! Obviously a local driver tearing up The GOR doing 80km/h through the bends and using up the whole road like he knew what he was doing! So I pull off to the side to let this guy through hoping that he can scare the Corolla driver into pulling over. Another 15mins past and after countless attempts of the cement truck driver to tailgate, flash headlights, etc to the Corolla to pull over whenever a turnoff was coming up - nothing. Eventually this cement truck overtook the guy on the wrong side of the road and shortly after I did the same. I thought I had seen the worst by now!

Further down the track, caught up to a rental Focus Sedan with four passengers, two elderly in the back. As I said earlier - I respect their wishes to cruise at a leisurely and comfortable pace as long as they respect my wishes to drive at my pace (before this incident, I wasn't exceeding the 80km/h limit) and let me through so we don't have an incident. I left the guy plenty of room, and let him know I wanted to pass whenever a turnoff was approaching. But no budging from him either! Eventually I found a spot to overtake (and anyone who's driven an underpowered car knows just how hard it is to find the right spot to overtake) and went for it. As soon as he saw me indicate and move to pass him, the maniac floors it! I'm coming up to a blind bend at 100+km/h and he's trying to match my speed to cut me off! I got in front of him without dying (obviously) but my god - if I came face to face with this guy, I would've stabbed him :togo: . Just to put it into perspective - 80km/h speed limit. This guy was doing 60km/h max in the straights (even less in the bends) and then he guns it to over 100km/h just to stop me overtaking.

I'm sure it happens to other types of cars as well, but it's just downright annoying (and in the last case - dangerous) when this happens. I let any type of car overtake me, it doesn't affect my pride. Could be anything from a Commodore to a Cement Truck (as you've seen) and I know I've done a good deed as they've moved on and both parties conflict-free.

Is it just me or does anyone else find this?

Old 29-11-2007, 02:15 AM   #2
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardei
First incident happened about 2 weeks ago travelling towards Sydney on Bells Line of Road. I was doing the speed limit (100km/h) and I caught up to two slower moving cars. One was probably a Camry and the second was a white VP Commodore driven by an older man (the one with the hat on the parcel shelf). When an overtaking lane opened up I let the Commodore overtake the first car and then thinking he would move over (as per "Keep Left Unless Overtaking") so that I can overtake him as I assumed that he was there for a leisurely Sunday drive. So I stuck behind him as he overtook the first car, but he didn't move over! I wasn't going to overtake him on the left as this is immoral (and illegal) so he just kept accelerating through the sweeping bends. I stuck with him up to about 120 before I realised his pride was too great to let a Fiesta overtake and backed off. And sure enough - he settled down to a pace slower then mine and I was stuck behind him again
Used to get that kind of stuff all the time when I drove the Fiesta. Though a V6 VN/VP was easy to dispense with. But the "oh its a small hatch, pfft," attitude really ****ed me off.

Now though, with the Sport Clio... no one does that to me. Being faster then 99% of the cars on the road... every single situation you just mentioned is averted with a short squirt in second gear... hahaha!

I dunno why you don't pass VP Grandpa in the left lane? I would have.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 08:18 AM   #3
whooligan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What you need to do is trade the LX in for an XR4. You still get that "oh, its a little hatch" attitude, but you can blow them away on the straights.

My neighbour suffers from "little man" syndrome. He compensates for his 5ft 2" stature and receeding hairline with a monster 4WD.....Nothing against receeding hairlines and 4WDs (my best mate has both) but whenever myself and the neighbour meet in the driveway, its like a race to get out on the street. The other day he pulled out in front of me and crawled down our street, knowing it annoy me as my former car (a worked RS2000) hates low speed. Luckily the XR4 pulls from 2nd and you can cruise around at 40kph all day. At the lights, I showed him why I like small cars with big engines..... : .....I'm considering fitting a turbo.
whooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 09:10 AM   #4
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I never really have problems like that... well not that I know of. Maybe I just dont take enough notice about that kind of stuff haha.

Only sometimes people speed up as I changed to the right lane to overtake them, but eventually --foot to the floor-- my experience exceeds theirs, so they had to back off.
Or in most cases, they'd speed up till they see a turn... they had to slam on the brake, I dont have to.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 11:51 AM   #5
Nappa
Impressive...

i've copped a bit of that in the XR4, mostly from fully sick lancers and their moronic owners. they tend to think just because they have big wheels, a spoiler and a milo tin it means they have a sports car. not the case.

The good thing about the XR4 is there is still plenty of go in fifth, so when on a higway it doesnt take much to gain a bit of speed when overtaking
Old 29-11-2007, 03:19 PM   #6
Jess85

i copped crap in the xr4 yesterday from a dude in a skyline (a ricer) that had blow off valve etc..i was trying to change lanes on our local bridge and he'd leave a gap between him and the car infront of him, and when i'd go to move over, he'd floor it and the blow off valve would go off..what a toss..i had the window down coz it was hot so i just gave him a filthy when he got next to me...after we got off the bridge i kicked his *** lol
Jess85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 03:27 PM   #7
2002xr6

i dont get why you wouldnt over take on the left if he was going under the limit, and then complain about it if theres a lane there use it

2010 xr50 turbo manual with the works!
2002xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 03:33 PM   #8
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002xr6
i dont get why you wouldnt over take on the left if he was going under the limit, and then complain about it if theres a lane there use it
Probably because it is illegal to overtake on the left.

People that do this type of thing are the people that are the real dangers on our roads. Crush their cars I say!
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 03:51 PM   #9
2002xr6

if he was doing under the limit and there was a lane free next to him it would be stupid not to use it unless the other bloke was going the limmit and you wanted to speed

2010 xr50 turbo manual with the works!
2002xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2007, 03:58 PM   #10
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002xr6
if he was doing under the limit and there was a lane free next to him it would be stupid not to use it unless the other bloke was going the limmit and you wanted to speed
It is illegal to overtake on the left NO MATTER WHAT, he also says the bloke sped up to the limit to stop him from overtaking.
Old 29-11-2007, 04:03 PM   #11
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR347
It is illegal to overtake on the left NO MATTER WHAT..
I should be locked in jail for years with no parole then.
Old 29-11-2007, 04:07 PM   #12
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives
I should be locked in jail for years with no parole then.
I said it was illegal, I never said I don't do it. Only when I can safely though. I would imagine it would be a little harder in a Fiesta compared to my XR8.
Old 29-11-2007, 04:17 PM   #13
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeh with the Fiesta, you'd need more time and distance. And yes everything I do on the road I do it when it's safe to do so.
Old 29-11-2007, 04:26 PM   #14
Steffo
LPG > You

The most hilarious thing that would happen to me in the Fiesta would be driving along on the freeway usually, P-Plates and all... and XR8/GT or SS/Monaro/HSV owners... 40+ yr old guys would see it and think "oh must be a chick," and get close for a perv. They'd come next to me and look over... and see a 6'2" 111.5kg bloke looking back at them... :

They'd back off so fast and stay behind after that

Doesn't ever really happen in the Clio Sport though. Do people assume chicks don't drive these or something?

:
Old 29-11-2007, 06:45 PM   #15
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR347
It is illegal to overtake on the left NO MATTER WHAT, he also says the bloke sped up to the limit to stop him from overtaking.
You are allowed to overtake on the left if the vehicle ahead is turning right.

Speeding up while being overtaken is illegal and the drivers that do it should be banned from driving. Some people are simply and alot of them drive, its a fact of life but I always make sure to tell what I think of them.
Old 29-11-2007, 08:29 PM   #16
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Universal one finger salute... sometimes two.
Old 29-11-2007, 08:49 PM   #17
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

I get the old timers and tourists up on weekends driving up the Mount Dandenong Tourist rd. Again i can respect they're need to take it easy, as its all nice bends everywhere. And when you've driven the road since you were 16 its hard not to lose it when there are about twenty cars behind one guy that doesn't seem to get that he/she should pull over.

As for the inferiority complex (and dont get me wrong about big cars), but i just think that there is just a different attitude in Australia to small cars (i.e. big car means big dick). in Europe, they found the benefits of the small car (and hot hatch) a long long time ago.
zetec jim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2007, 11:09 AM   #18
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

When i owned the Fiesta i had to do alot of driving to the central coast.

On one occasion i was on the horn with high beams on for 5 minutes straight, but i accomplished nothing, i could see the guy in the corolla looking at me in his rear view mirror, but he refused to budge. All in all, i was stuck there for nothing short of 20km.

90kmph Zone, bout 5 harleys in the left lane, and a corolla in the right lane all doing the same speed. 70kmph........

I dont get it as much anymore in the VW.
Although I dont know why, its the same kinda car (3door hatchi)
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2007, 03:46 PM   #19
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx
I dont get it as much anymore in the VW.
Although I dont know why, its the same kinda car (3door hatchi)
Its easy. Same reason I don't get anything in the Clio Sport. When people see GTI they go, oh... right. And since most people have no idea about life, they'll probably think its "that Golf GTI thing I've heard of," lol...

Plus at night when you come up behind someone in the RSC especially... xenons and fog-lights... it looks like some sort of sports car and the blue light fills your rear view mirror... so they just get out of the way. I've had XR8's and SS Commodores get out of my way in the hammer lane on motorways at night, its awesome.

:
Old 30-11-2007, 05:13 PM   #20
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Get behind them, lights and foglights on, knock back to second gear. Plant it, when they see the nose of my car lift they know to get out of the way :P

with the black grille,red pinstripe and GTI badge filling their rear view mirror.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
Old 01-12-2007, 09:05 AM   #21
whooligan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We were out on the small ford cruise the other night heading from kew to mt dandenong and there was a string of XR5s, a RS2000, an XR6 turbo followed by me in an XR4 and the only guy (woman driver) braking on the corners was in the 6 potter....On twisty roads, small cars come into their own. I remember blowing away 3 brand new Monaros on the road btwn Apollo Bay and Colac (coming back from the Great Ocean Rd).....I was in my RS2000 and when they caught up with me at the rest stop, it was like: "So, what you got in that little beast?"......"Errr, stock 2lt, extractors and 1/2 decent handling."
whooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2007, 06:13 PM   #22
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Wait till you see what happens on a racetrack.

It is amazing the number of 6’s, 8’s, 12’s and turbos that have a problem accepting that my little 4-cyl is traveling quicker than some of them.

Worse yet are the tools that indicate for you to overtake on a straight and keep their foot hard on the accelerator. Absolute tools – I make up my time under brakes and through corners.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2007, 12:32 AM   #23
Kariharnett
Lil Henry

i usually back right off poeple tail then i flog the crap out of the fiesta and gt to about 160 - 170 by the time i reach the tossers with there ommodores and falcons i usually over take them so quick they dont know what hit em.
Kariharnett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2007, 02:40 PM   #24
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kariharnett
i usually back right off poeple tail then i flog the crap out of the fiesta and gt to about 160 - 170 by the time i reach the tossers with there ommodores and falcons i usually over take them so quick they dont know what hit em.

Usually one or two heros out there who will speed up when they see you coming.
I did alot of highway kms in my Fiesta, unfortunately it didnt quite have enough torque to just drop a gear, pull out and overtake in a few seconds as it needed a good runup.

Got a few people speed up when i did this, dangerous

Loads of fun :
Old 09-12-2007, 03:57 PM   #25
Cleutin
Audiophile

I used to do a lot of Brisbane to Gold Coast runs.
absolutely hated being in the 110km zone and stuck in the right hand behind a driver doing 90km who doesnt shift over.

yes ive overtaken in the middle lane to get around them. thankfully its a 4 lane highway and you can overtake in the middle lanes as there are still lanes to your left.

but ive also been in that lane doing 110-115 and had people pull sofar up my that i couldnt see their headlights - in a 99 Ford Laser Sedan - it meant they wouldve been damn close to giving my car a lovebite. i'd show curtesy and shift lanes.... then laugh as the highway patrol car thats a lane or so over again would pull them over when they go flying past.
Cleutin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2007, 09:15 PM   #26
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Talk about inferiority complex. Was out cruising today with the XR5T boys. and a Stupid Van and Subaru didnt want to let a few of them past.. moved to block so that they couldnt pass. like Jeez. we can understand you going slow but pulling out to stop ppl from overtaking when then want to. .is extremely dangerous.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 02:28 AM   #27
BlackLS
yum

A lot of people are confused about the roadrules. You can overtake on the left so long as its a traffic lane. (ie not a shoulder)

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 02:36 AM   #28
BlackLS
yum

And about the topic, the Focus never gets that. On Macquarie Pass going uphill today I got waved to overtake by an SS Commo. On the freeway and roads above 90kms, if they're able to be in the left lane but aren't, they get a dose of high beam. On dual carrageways, I usually hang back 4 seconds so if a gap in the oncoming traffic opens, I ramp up the speed.

Although Ive had this happen before with a BMW once on a EFC cruise, but it was half due to me tailgating and driving like a tool, and overtaking in a very wrong location.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2008, 11:03 AM   #29
red_xr4
Starter Motor

I think a lot of the time it depends upon the driver (of the other car). Some people are completely ignorant (and, believe it or not are just stupid, not being smart). Then you've got the smart *** who speeds up & attempts to prevent you overtaking only to slow down again.

I have had a few of these experiences in the XR4. People look in the mirror and see the stripes (so they automatically assume it's a hoon) and intentionally slow down, etc.

But the funniest had to be when I was on the M2 on the way from Macquarie Uni to Baulkham Hills. There was hardly anyone on the road (believe it or not), so I jumped in the right land and gave it a bit of stick. Probably close to 140. As a Toyota Camry owner in the left lane saw me approaching, put his hand out the window & did the small gesture (you know the one from the RTA campaign on P platers). So after I drove past him, I slowed down, put my windown down and asked what his problem was. He put the window up (upon realising i wasn't a p plater) and slowed down...What a jerk...Go back to you Camry, you sad person
red_xr4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2008, 07:59 PM   #30
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was a lame ad. Have you seen the better versions on youtube?