Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-09-2005, 10:27 PM   #1
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default ISP - Are you happy

Yesterday I exceed my monthly limit. I'm with ozemail. So i decided last night to increase my download limit. An extra $10 pre month for an extra 16gb. I figure is pretty reasonable. Anyway, after doing it on line, i get a message to say it's going to take 10 - 15 working days. : Not as if they have to do anything other than increase my limit. So i ring today, tech support can't do anything, so he puts me to accounts. I get a message to say taht due to excessive call demands, they have turned off the lines to account's. So I'm thinking I have to wait over 2 weeks when surley they can do it over the phone. I get home tonight, check my speed, still at 64k. Go off and get a drink, come back and I notice my speed downloading has gone from 4k to almost 100k. Checked my account, and its been upgrade.

In less than 24 hours, my account was all sorted after being told its gonna take 2 weeks. They were also flat out today. Good to see that some priorties in big business is all about looking after the customer. Good work ozemail.

Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 12:18 AM   #2
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine gets frequent drop outs from 12-7, sometimes it doesnt even connect.. i paid for a 20gb d/l limit but only got 15gb (but thats ok since i dont d/l alot most months), the speed is ok. 1.5mbps
just dont like the drop outs specially when its night time and im doing an assignment whilst on msn XD
xurbanx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 12:20 AM   #3
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im with Netspace and have only had a few times where the connection dropped. Very happy with them.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 12:41 AM   #4
Steffo
LPG > You

Say what you want about Telstra.. can't be happier with my Bigpond 512/128 Unlimited ADSL.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 12:50 AM   #5
Tornado
AKA MYTE8

I'm also with Telstra, Unlimited Cable :o)
Have only had a few drop outs over the past year, but have had a few more DNS issues.
All seems to be much better now.
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 09:16 AM   #6
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Through Schaelec Internet and am pretty happy. I've been with them since February, and they have no problem with the online radio station. Stuart from there is great to deal with, and goes the extra distance to help out.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 09:24 AM   #7
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Another happy BigPuddle cable user.. The odd outage but never last for long and I've never had to ring customer service, so that is a good sign.. If only they had a BPay code for the account I'd be happier.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 07:25 PM   #8
8pAc
RDP #181

Im with iiNet and i cant complain at all, I would have had less than 1hr downtime in over 18 months. In fact i cant even remember the last time i was down.

It seems Telstra is getting better but customer service is just ty and they are always willing to screw you somehow so I stay far away from them. I hate they way their cable works to.
Camrys like most Toyotas have always been ugly, poorly equiped & brain crushingly dull but that's what a lot of people look for in a car unfortunately. I like my fridge, it keeps my beer cold other people like them so much they want to drive them it seems.
8pAc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 07:38 PM   #9
Sunburst50

Overall very happy with Bigpond ADSL . I'm on a 2 year contract and after about 15 months the modem spat the dummy . Telstra sent out a technition and replaced the modem free of charge. I did join to watch the V8 Supercars but that aspect of Bigpond is a little dissapointing.
Sunburst50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 07:56 PM   #10
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Im with Netspace and have only had a few times where the connection dropped. Very happy with them.
I just want to echo this statement... i'm with netspace on a 10GB per month 1.5Mbps ADSL account... it's excellent! Support lines are well qualified and i've only had to call them when the upstream provider is at fault (when relocating to a new house).

The speed is excellent, i've had regular downloads over 150kbytes/sec
and well - everything else is cool, for instance, my line connection is over 10days at the moment, and the only reason it is there is because I reset the modem/router because of a wireless security configuraiton change. Regularly it is up at 20days+. Price is quite good too. Only thing I would want more of would be more web space, and i'd love a static IP with the ability to run my own services.

About the only thing i'd transfer to would be Optus Cable - if I could get get it. and then only for the speed.
Old 20-09-2005, 08:26 PM   #11
lms10

I'm with bigpond adsl. 1.5meg, had it for 2 1/2yrs, never dropped once, now if only my power supply company could match that... damn power failures interfer with surfing..
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 08:34 PM   #12
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

I'm with Ozemail, I don't think I've ever had any downtime. Been with them for dialup then broadband... for over 5 years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 09:06 PM   #13
XRated
Shoot.

SwiftDSL (now People Telecom): $65 per month, 20gb limit 512/256. Always been good, except on two or three occassions in over a year that I've been with them (late at night it wouldn't connect).

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 09:50 PM   #14
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

iinet ADSL 1.5 mb connection at $49.95 per month 12 gig d/load. Totally reliable tech support always happy to help even if it isn't directly related to my connection.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 11:18 PM   #15
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Telpacific ADSL here, more then happy with them so far
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 11:32 PM   #16
Donut King
Officially Unemployed!

An ADSL line speed upgrade with your ISP actually depends on telstra to do the upgrade in the exchange, hence the time period being listed of up to 2 weeks - its basically treated as a new connection, unless your ISP operates the DSLAM that you are connected to, in which case they can usually do it straight away via a software change.

A plan change that isn't a speed upgrade and is just an update of quota shouldn't take so long though as it is just a change to your account with that ISP

Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 11:52 PM   #17
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXRVIII
iinet ADSL 1.5 mb connection at $49.95 per month 12 gig d/load. Totally reliable tech support always happy to help even if it isn't directly related to my connection.
I second that, utterly brilliant Iinet, couldn't be happier, had a couple of initial teething problems (dropouts linked to work in the area) and ever since has FAR exceeded our expectations, customer service is astounding and the price we pay plus our 1500k connection craps from a very great height upon most others. Combined with great phone and cheap calls it suits us perfectly.
Old 21-09-2005, 01:15 AM   #18
Thornie
Off smelting

I'm with internode they cater for all my gaming needs if its not hosted with there free content i can put in a support req and its usually up the next day depending on what it is of coarse
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 08:12 AM   #19
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaTTuS
I'm with internode
Sounds familiar... is it from Office Space? :

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 08:40 AM   #20
The Mighty Red

Bigpond here and yes I am very happy it
Old 21-09-2005, 09:14 AM   #21
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Bigpond cable. It's be pretty good here in Sydney. Its a pain when the 'the boy' downloads 15 gig in 7 days and your speed drops back to modem levels. If only I could get a 'firewall' for him (and his sister and younger brother)(oh and me
Uncle_Ken
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 10:10 AM   #22
Pearly
Lowriding

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the time spent at most functions taking photos free for us 

I'm with TPG and I'm pretty happy with them. Been with them for the better part of 6-7 years now I think.

While their customer service isn't the best, I rarely call it so it's not an issue.
I rarely experience drop outs and when they do happen, they don't last long.
Been with a few other ISPs over the years and TPG are the best I've had by far.
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 05:40 PM   #23
Thornie
Off smelting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindi
Sounds familiar... is it from Office Space? :

sorry you got me there me= lost . is that a movie or tv show ? if it is no
http://intenrode.on.net
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 05:43 PM   #24
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Been with Ozemail for a number of years... Upgraded to DSL about 18months ago and then upgraded to DSL2 about 5 months ago... Great service and decent plans
Old 21-09-2005, 07:41 PM   #25
lms10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut King
An ADSL line speed upgrade with your ISP actually depends on telstra to do the upgrade in the exchange, hence the time period being listed of up to 2 weeks - its basically treated as a new connection, unless your ISP operates the DSLAM that you are connected to, in which case they can usually do it straight away via a software change.

A plan change that isn't a speed upgrade and is just an update of quota shouldn't take so long though as it is just a change to your account with that ISP
I think you will find yourself incorrect there.Telstra only supply the exchange link,once that has been done,speed upgrades and download size upgrades are all controlled by the isp with no work needed in the exchange or even any telstra staff.All isp's have the ability to supply the full 1.5mg speed to customers,isp's have the ability to raise or lower the speed depending on the plan chosen by customers
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 07:54 PM   #26
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to be on Bigpond cable till the modem died. Couldn't get it at my new house so I went Iprimus dialup. Now I'm back to Bigpond ADSL 264/64 account (10gb before capping but I've gone as far as 15gb without capping). It occassional drops out when they try and reset your ip. Other than that issues are minimal. Almost a year now and I've probably experiences less than 2 days total time combined. I wouldn't have experienced that amount of time if I'd know all I had to do is reset the modem!

I'm going to try another company later this year. A little more speed and around 15gb for the same $.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2005, 01:48 PM   #27
Gabbins
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut King

Speed changes don't need to be done at the xchange. It's done at the click of a button.
Telstra is just too tight to make simple speed changes a priority
Old 22-09-2005, 06:17 PM   #28
mick.wheelz

Im with clear networks (two way sat provider) 256/64k, $80/month 5gb download. It has been fairly bad really, it drops out a lot, its sometimes very slow, and when i went over my download limit i was unshaped nearly a month later than i was suppost to be.
Old 22-09-2005, 08:22 PM   #29
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I am on Optus Cable. Have been using them this time for almost 2 years and I had them from 1999-2002 before that. I have had a few troubles but usually gets fixed up when I talk to someone in charge?

I am on 512/128 but it is only the Upload that is capped. I have had speeds up to and including 1mbs The account is 12GB a month but There is an EXTRA 24 GB in off peak that is separate to the limit. All in all, a good deal
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2005, 10:26 PM   #30
niko
likes falcon's

BPC bigpond cable, havent had downtime in a very long time, pleased with constantly good speed. have had it around 6years now got it back in 99

on unlimited plan with 10gig cap. havent reached the cap in a while lol